Goodbye Jesus

I'm never wrong

DarkBishop

Ok, so I had this thought. I've done it. And I notice it in a lot of other people. They absolutely hate being wrong. I mean. When confronted with evidence to the contrary I accept that I was wrong and change course. But there are people that will refuse to admit they were wrong no matter how much proof or evidence to the contrary you show them. For instance. The vaccines. I was very skeptical of it to begin with. But my mind was eased as more studies came out showing that it was safe to take. But there are other people like our representative in GA Marjorie Taylor Green who are just idiotically stubborn in their convictions on the subject. Or maybe just idiots. 

But my thought isn't about the vaccine. That was just an example. I wonder how many Christians deny or refuse to look at the evidence that the Bible is a book of myth, just because they refuse to be wrong about it? Since I see it happen with everything else from politics, medical treatments, Child rearing, etc. I have to believe that a lot of people within Christendom are held back from the truth just because they refuse to be wrong about something so important to them. 

DB

• Like 3

I'd say she's just an idiot.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Well, let's not get involved in politics too much in this forum.  More to the point, I agree and hope I'm not wrong.

• Like 2

DB,

This is just an opinion, but in my view, those people who refuse to accept persuasive data do so, not as a function of intelligence (or lack thereof), but because they are too emotionally invested in something to ever give it up.

This might explain why a uneducated person or a world-class scientist can be equally stubborn in their refusal to accept something.  It's not a function of their education or their smarts, but of their emotional commitment to a given thing.  When it comes to religion, people become religious for emotional reasons and/or are raised (indoctrinated) to be emotionally-committed their religious beliefs.

And that could explain why cold, hard emotionally-unappealing evidence and data will never sway them.  They became religious for emotional reasons, not intellectual ones.  To sway them and change their beliefs you'd have to appeal to their emotions, not their intellect.  Unless and until scientific evidence becomes more emotionally appealing to them than the myths they hold dear, they will never be changed.

So, 'I'm never wrong' isn't the cause of their problem, but a symptom.  The true cause lies in their hearts, not in their minds.

Thank you.

Walter.

• Like 2

And one very powerful emotion involved is fear.   If you were motivated by fear from an early age, and really believe you will burn in Hell for eternity for questioning the "authority", you close your mind to new information.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Weezer said:

And one very powerful emotion involved is fear.   If you were motivated by fear from an early age, and really believe you will burn in Hell for eternity for questioning the "authority", you close your mind to new information.

This is one reason I am so happy that I was able to leave Christianity behind. Sometimes the fear of hell is crippling. As we've seen in some of the members that struggle to fully deconvert. As they say, "The truth will set you free". 😀

• Like 2

17 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Well, let's not get involved in politics too much in this forum.  More to the point, I agree and hope I'm not wrong.

Yeah I understand. I was only referencing politics because people's convictions on religion and politics are pretty much equal in their intensity. 

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

Yeah I understand. I was only referencing politics because people's convictions on religion and politics are pretty much equal in their intensity. 

No, I know.  I just wanted to head off any potential political tangents which might have ensued. 

23 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

This might explain why a uneducated person or a world-class scientist can be equally stubborn in their refusal to accept something.  It's not a function of their education or their smarts, but of their emotional commitment to a given thing.

They say that science advances one funeral at a time for that reason. 

23 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

In their intense need to be right.

In their intense need to be on the side with which they identify and feel comfortable.

To be on the side they believe to be the 'winning team'.

To the extent of hiding themselves behind labels such as "Catholic" or "Baptist"... 

Behind artificial constructs such as "conservative" vs "liberal".

When I hear people identifying themselves in that way, I know they are liars, lying to themselves.

Those terms are characteristic and typical of peoples' use of words to obfuscate and manipulate.

Such words are used conversationally as if they are definitive, when they are in fact gross abstractions.

Used as such, they provide deep cover behind which the user hides himself and denies accountability for doing so.

• Thanks 1

I'm going to quote @florduh here because it ties in to the OP: "Some very intelligent and educated people fall for this crap because believing it is not an intellectual decision, but rather an emotional hook."

We don't like being wrong because it makes uncomfortable, makes us feel inadequate. Once you've taken a position, especially if its a public one, its very hard to get yourself to admit you were wrong. And not to mention that with the way we, the people, have breed our politicians we make it impossible for them to admit they were wrong and change their mind because as soon as they do we, the people, crucify them in the polls, media etc leading to this horrible state where most politicising say nothing of value or so vague it can mean anything. In other words we don't let them be human.

Despite all that some people are simply stupid. MTG, and Scomo among them. And the Mayor from Coromandel Town. Lady you said you you weren't anti vax you were just waiting for Novavax. Now we got Novavax you ain't getting that either? Methinks she was leading everyone on. Nary an intention of ever getting vaxxed.

Of course I could be wrong about all this.