Goodbye Jesus

Problem of hell - main reason why I consider Christianity

Aibao

One other thought/question.  Since it is obvious that after we are dead we can't feel anything, and we are then a susposedly "spirit", how does physical fire and heat hurt a spirit?   A non physical being.

18 hours ago, Weezer said:

Alba, outside religion, in general, what are your daily activities and interests, Hobbies, etc?

Weezer - yes, I have a lot of hobbies; I like music, drawing, Asia, learning foreign languages, fashion, yoga, books - these are just some of the things. The problem is that as soon as I try to deal with it, remorse and fear start to get me, because solving religious dilemmas and the problem of Christianity has grown to the highest rank - the more so because there is a possibility of eternal torture...

Further responding, believers say (according to the Bible?) that we will get new bodies after death that can endure torture .... if this is all made up - how could a place like hell have arisen in the mind of any man?

23 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

How can you ever be 100% certain about hell if there's no reliable evidence for you to check and test?

Walter - indeed, I didn't see it that way. True, we do not have the same evidence for Hell as for example for the Pyramids of Egypt, but how about Bill Wiese having a vision of Hell. And this vision is in line with the apocrypha, so maybe the apocrypha should be in the Bible? This is what bothered me that there are people who have visions, not dreams - visions. For example, a few Muslims saw Jesus (here in their dreams) and these dreams were similar, and nobody knew anything about themselves, and they had similar dreams ... I haven't posted it yet, and that scared me).

Besides the fact that there is no such evidence, the Bible has an explanation for it: we cannot understand the spiritual world, it is as if inaccessible to us.

Maybe the entire Bible must be overturned first? Yes, there are absurdities, I agree, but what if there are also wise words like love your neighbor? forgive the enemy? In the Bible, Jesus tells a parable about the sower and it worked for me that I have no root and maybe this world drew me afterwards, so I did not persevere in this religion - does it mean that Jesus was a prophet when this parable is so universal that it works in the lives of some? In fact, if I could prove that there was no resurrection, that the Bible did not contain universal truths, and if I could prove that Jesus was nothing but an ordinary man, I would have no problem with Hell.

But thank you for your commitment, Walter. I know you're trying to help me, I know I've found myself in a place where people really want to help deal with Christianity and get out of it, but I'm so overwhelmed by all kinds of apologetic arguments that I have to break each piece apart, and that comes to that my different experiences in my life: experiences that confirmed Christianity and experiences that contradicted any religion. What a contradiction! I know it's hard to talk to me.

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

Walter - indeed, I didn't see it that way.

Hello Aibao.

I'm going to remind you that you wanted to be 100% certain about hell.

And now I'm going to go through all that you've written, seeing if any of it can give you the 100% certainty that you want.

Please follow me as I go through.

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

True, we do not have the same evidence for Hell as for example for the Pyramids of Egypt, but how about Bill Wiese having a vision of Hell.

And how would you check or test another person's visions to make sure that you are 100% certain about hell?

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

And this vision is in line with the apocrypha, so maybe the apocrypha should be in the Bible?

Even if it is, how would you check or test it to make sure that you were 100% certain about hell?

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

This is what bothered me that there are people who have visions, not dreams - visions. For example, a few Muslims saw Jesus (here in their dreams) and these dreams were similar, and nobody knew anything about themselves, and they had similar dreams ... I haven't posted it yet, and that scared me).

Besides the fact that there is no such evidence, the Bible has an explanation for it: we cannot understand the spiritual world, it is as if inaccessible to us.

If that's so, then how are you going to check and test the spiritual world to be 100% certain about hell?

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

Maybe the entire Bible must be overturned first? Yes, there are absurdities, I agree, but what if there are also wise words like love your neighbor? forgive the enemy? In the Bible, Jesus tells a parable about the sower and it worked for me that I have no root and maybe this world drew me afterwards, so I did not persevere in this religion - does it mean that Jesus was a prophet when this parable is so universal that it works in the lives of some? In fact, if I could prove that there was no resurrection

How would you go about doing that, Aibao?  The bible can be interpreted in many different ways, so which interpretation is the right one?

Remember, if you want to prove anything about the bible you've got to be 100% certain.

How can you be 100% certain about anything the bible say if it can be interpreted in so many different ways? 

How can you be 100% certain about hell?

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

, that the Bible did not contain universal truths, and if I could prove that Jesus was nothing but an ordinary man,

How would you go about doing that, Aibao?  The bible can be interpreted in many different ways, so which interpretation is the right one?

Remember, if you want to prove anything about the bible you've got to be 100% certain.

How can you be 100% certain about anything the bible say if it can be interpreted in so many different ways? 

How can you be 100% certain about hell?

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

I would have no problem with Hell.

Until you are 100% certain, you will always have a problem with hell, Aibao. 

By now you should be starting to realize that no matter where you look or what you do, you can never be 100% certain about god, the bible, Jesus or hell.

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

But thank you for your commitment, Walter. I know you're trying to help me, I know I've found myself in a place where people really want to help deal with Christianity and get out of it, but I'm so overwhelmed by all kinds of apologetic arguments that I have to break each piece apart,

And doing that won't get you the 100% certainty you want about hell.

If it could be done then don't you think that would be big news we'd all know about it from the tv, the internet, from radio and books and podcasts?

So, why is there this deafening silence when it comes to proving anything about hell with 100% certainty?

1 hour ago, Aibao said:

and that comes to that my different experiences in my life: experiences that confirmed Christianity and experiences that contradicted any religion. What a contradiction! I know it's hard to talk to me.

No, it's ok, Aibao. 

You are knotted and tangled up with fear, so you run every which way trying to find 100% certainty, you look and can never find 100% certainty, you seek and you never discover 100% certainty, you are confused and distressed and everything you do just makes things worse and you can get no peace of mind.  I understand your terror and so do a lot of other people in this forum.  Many of us have been where you are and are now at peace, secure and safe from the nightmares and the anxiety.  

But, if you want to know something about hell that is absolutely and positively 100% certain, I can tell it to you.

Would you like me to tell you, Aibao?

Please let me know in your next message and I'll certainly tell you.

Thank you.

Walter. 

1 hour ago, walterpthefirst said:

No, it's ok, Aibao. 

I understand your terror and so do a lot of other people in this forum.  Many of us have been where you are and are now at peace, secure and safe from the nightmares and the anxiety.  

But, if you want to know something about hell that is absolutely and positively 100% certain, I can tell it to you.

Would you like me to tell you, Aibao?

Please let me know in your next message and I'll certainly tell you.

Thank you.

Walter. 

Thank you for your understanding.  Yes, Walter, I want you to tell me. And I also want you to give me the reasons for your answer, why do you think this way, if I can ask you to.

6 hours ago, Aibao said:

Thank you for your understanding.  Yes, Walter, I want you to tell me. And I also want you to give me the reasons for your answer, why do you think this way, if I can ask you to.

Ok Aibao,

I said that I could tell you something about hell that is absolutely and positively 100% certain.  You've asked for that and my reasons why.  I will give you both. 

It is absolutely and positively 100% certain that you will never be absolutely and positively 100% certain about anything to do with hell.

It is also absolutely and positively 100% certain that you will be absolutely and positively 100% certain about anything to do with god, Jesus, sin or salvation.

The first reason why is that this kind of 100% certainty exists only in two things - mathematics and logic.  They are pure and abstract concepts.

The second reason why is that humans are not capable of discovering 100% of the evidence for anything.  That's because of human error.

The third reason why is that if it were possible for someone to be 100% certain about hell, someone would have done it by now.  And we'd all know it about it.

So, now it's time for you to answer a question for me.

If you accept what I say here, do you now see that in trying to be 100% certain about hell, you are setting yourself an impossible task?

Thank you.

Walter.

• Like 1

Just an aside, which probably isn't too far aside. Walter points out that proofs and certainty can be found in math and logic. 

I was just reading the last exchanges here and thinking about how truly fucked up the doctrine of hell and myth of the lake of burning Sulphur in revelation are. Who thinks of this shit? Why in the world would an "all-loving" god be depicted as burning anyone, for any reason, in eternal torment or a brief annihilation with burning fire? 

What sort of logic is that? 

The very act of which removes the "all" or "omni" out of loving. These are two very contradicting concepts rolled in together in the myth. One could argue that the concept of an "all-loving" god evolved into the NT, but they'd be at a tremendous disadvantage when having to face every NT verse threatening hell or fire. The very threat of which contradicts the concept of something which is "all-loving." 

'I love that dog, but by gollies if that dog doesn't do what I command out of it's own free will I'll toss the dog into fire where it will burn in torment either temporarily or eternally!'

That's how ridiculous the "all-loving" god concept is against it's blatant contradiction in Revelation and elsewhere. And more ridiculous is to try and get away from the contradiction by suggesting that god really isn't "all-loving," so the hell stuff must be real, and continue on fearing hell anyways. Because the bible was discredited the minute you realize that it's contradicting itself! Or that the writers who were all writing down their own personal opinions were contradicting each other, to be more precise about it. 

At the end of the day, biblical concepts are pretty much bankrupt entirely. Heaven, hell, the whole thing...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Aibao said:

Further responding, believers say (according to the Bible?) that we will get new bodies after death that can endure torture .... if this is all made up - how could a place like hell have arisen in the mind of any man?

How?  Because lots of people enjoy having power over other people, and use fear to control them.

Think about this, Aibao:  How can you trust a god that would deliberately bring you back from the dead, reconstruct the memories that were lost when your brain died, and put you in a new body for the purpose of torturing you?  Instead of giving a believer their faith back, it could just as easily create someone with memories of egregious sin and disbelief, just so there'd be an excuse for sending them to hell.

The god of the Bible is not to be trusted.  No one, not even the most pious believer, is safe.  No one.  Ever.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 4:55 PM, Aibao said:

Weezer - yes, I have a lot of hobbies; I like music, drawing, Asia, learning foreign languages, fashion, yoga, books - these are just some of the things. The problem is that as soon as I try to deal with it, remorse and fear start to get me, because solving religious dilemmas and the problem of Christianity has grown to the highest rank - the more so because there is a possibility of eternal torture...

Do you have a profession or vocation, or somehting else to give you a sense of purpose?

That your fear of Hell cannot be solved by Christian dogma is one of the most horrible things about Christianity. 

It sells you a illness(Hell) and then dances around the cure like a drunken mime. 

Christianity is not likely to be true and trying to pin such a strange belief system down, is like trying to nail water. It will only lead to stress and misery, watch something you enjoy instead, go for a run of take care of a pet. 

There are over 7 billion people on Earth. The idea that Yahweh, the desert God of the Jews is reading all their thoughts is a ridiculous as it is laughable. Do not read apologetic literature, these people spread fear and misinformation for money. 

Be kind to yourself, please.  

On 3/31/2022 at 2:34 AM, Weezer said:

Do you have a profession or vocation, or somehting else to give you a sense of purpose?

Actually, I can't do anything, when I finish the job I have (it's hard to call it a job anyway ... because it's only a few hours and not every day), I return to the problems of religion.
Why can't I stop? Because when I start doing something else, I feel so much guilt and fear that at any moment I can find myself in Hell that I can't enjoy anything anymore. Actually, as a Christian, at the beginning I felt joy and peace, but then life in this religion became more and more tiring, I cannot imagine going back, so whether I will be a Christian or in hell - suffering will always be with me. I realized that recently. And that didn't make me say hey, so I don't care! I live my life! - I have had a hard time enjoying life for a long time. I am also beginning to understand homosexuals why being in the Christian religion they often think about suicide and then commit it. My heart goes to them (even though I'm not homosexual, so I don't know exactly what it is like), because I feel a similar pain when religion (even though I've passed away) takes away joy from every part of life so that at some point you decide and you say to yourself: I won't smile anymore, I don't want to laugh anymore.

3 hours ago, quantum said:

That your fear of Hell cannot be solved by Christian dogma is one of the most horrible things about Christianity. 

It sells you a illness(Hell) and then dances around the cure like a drunken mime. 

Christianity is not likely to be true and trying to pin such a strange belief system down, is like trying to nail water. It will only lead to stress and misery, watch something you enjoy instead, go for a run of take care of a pet. 

There are over 7 billion people on Earth. The idea that Yahweh, the desert God of the Jews is reading all their thoughts is a ridiculous as it is laughable. Do not read apologetic literature, these people spread fear and misinformation for money. 

Be kind to yourself, please.  

Are you new here? Thank you for your answer. I was drawn to Christianity by the desire to meet "real" friends, I didn't know as much about Hell as I do now. And this is a paradox, because a few years after leaving this religion, hell has come back to me. I do not wish anyone such feelings and emotions and the mental breakdown that this dogma brings with it. The Christian message actually looks like a threat and compulsion: repent or you will be tortured forever. The problem is, even if it's a threat and nobody likes it, what if it's real? In addition, just as I am writing this, the cupboard in my room has opened by itself (it has never happened, and now for the first time), which makes me think even more: maybe God is trying to scare me? Still, I hope that there are some natural explanations for this, but even the hope may end one day. I wish you good luck in your deconversion and peace of mind

3 hours ago, Aibao said:

Actually, I can't do anything, when I finish the job I have (it's hard to call it a job anyway ... because it's only a few hours and not every day), I return to the problems of religion.

If you are unable to work, how do you afford food, clothing and shelter?    

8 hours ago, Aibao said:

Are you new here? Thank you for your answer. I was drawn to Christianity by the desire to meet "real" friends, I didn't know as much about Hell as I do now. And this is a paradox, because a few years after leaving this religion, hell has come back to me. I do not wish anyone such feelings and emotions and the mental breakdown that this dogma brings with it. The Christian message actually looks like a threat and compulsion: repent or you will be tortured forever. The problem is, even if it's a threat and nobody likes it, what if it's real? In addition, just as I am writing this, the cupboard in my room has opened by itself (it has never happened, and now for the first time), which makes me think even more: maybe God is trying to scare me? Still, I hope that there are some natural explanations for this, but even the hope may end one day. I wish you good luck in your deconversion and peace of mind

Good morning, 

Firstly, I have been where you seem to be, fear of God, fear of Hell, etc, so I know what you are going through. Christianity "might" be real, Islam "might" be real, Zeus "might" be real , what can we say with confidence, is that none of these religions are likely to be true. All but one MUST be false at the very least and all are likely to be , well, just fairy tales. let us say (for a moment) that Christianity is true. Which Bible should we read, there are numerous different versions, Catholics and Protestants include/exclude some books. Countless different branches of Christianity to boot as well. should we be a Baptist, a JW, a Catholic, Methodist, etc, etc. 

Christianity (as with Islam) causes great mental  harm and suffering. It forces you to  doubt yourself and make very unhealthy choices. I was a Christian and stayed in a very unhappy marriage for years as it was sin to get divorced. eventually, I woke up, got divorced and remarried an amazing lady. "Thanks" to Christianity, I wasted YEARS being unhappy trying to please a God, I had never seen or heard. 

No Christian worships God, they actually worship the Bible.  

As to your cupboard door, it is purely chance. If you had never heard of Christianity, you would consider that maybe the hinge had become weak. Imagine, a God so powerful that to get your attention, he opens a door. I am very close to my Mum, she believes in the spirit world. In 2017 her brother died and her sister in law gave my Mum a framed photo of him as a keepsake. My Mum has placed the picture on the floor in her living room and it has slightly moved sometimes. My Mum is convinced that it is a sign from her brother from the spirit world.......My Mum also has a cat. Cats rub up against things, you can see where this logic is going. I said to Mum, if the photo floats, then I will entertain the idea of my uncle saying Hi . Until then, it is the cat. Same with your cupboard door. If it violates the laws of physics, maybe a God, if it does not, well, there will be a natural explanation. 

It is very human to seek certainty, but dealing with supernatural claims in this manner is a road to no where. Now, according to The Bible, if you confess that Jesus is God with your mouth and believe He was risen, then you will be saved. My advice has always been, well do that then and NOTHING else. If the Bible is true, then this promise must be meet. If the Bible is false, then its threats and promises are worthless. if you cannot find peace, say the magic words that Jesus is God, then leave the rest of it alone and go about your life, would be my advice.  

The Bible is FILLED with madness and contradictions and no joy will be found tying yourself into knots trying to please an invisible being. 

There is no God to fear, you are frightened of a book, I do understand that fear, I lived it, but it is just a book. You do not fear the Koran, but I am sure that plenty of Muslims, go to bed with shaking hearts picturing the Hell of Allah. 

I know a family and the adult son is extremely disabled, and I mean extremely. His mum is an angel and has devoted her life to him. He is very profoundly brain damaged. Is he going to Hell, Christians are forced to say yes, as he was born in sin and hasn't repented, which of course , he can't due to the nature of his disability. This is how mental Christian dogma is.  It is easy to focus on hell, yet the Bible tells us what to wear, what to eat AND informs us that it is pleasing to the Lord to collect foreskins. The Bible and the Koran  was written by idiots, for idiots. Millions and millions and millions have died without so much of hearing about Jesus. 

Please try and find peace within yourself. I no longer fear the metal rantings of the Biblical writers and am much  happier for it. 

Some light relief:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:57 PM, Aibao said:

Humans are filled with very silly ideas:

In North Korea, it is taught that the rulers have supernatural powers and millions believe it, even thou the claims are laughable. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Weezer said:

If you are unable to work, how do you afford food, clothing and shelter?    

I am still a student and I do not work full time, but even if, whatever I do, religious thoughts are still in my head and they do not give me complete peace, so it does not matter if I work 12 hours a day or not, or if I have a hobby or not, work or not, I will not run away from these thoughts, I will not disconnect my brain from myself

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, quantum said:

Some light relief:

Thank you, after watching these videos, I realized what absurdities are in the Bible, but there are stories of believers who prayed for abundance and got out of poverty, and are like this video, even though they look at the lilies, well ... nothing happens they are not happening. It is a pity that there is no such thing in life that if something does not work for one person, it will not work for everyone, then the evidence for the operation of, for example, Christian prayers would be in one hand

Somewhere I read a statement by a believer who did not like the idea of hell: "In the world we see that there is a lot of suffering. And we know that God has allowed it to happen. Since He has allowed the world to suffer great suffering, will he not allow hell? Of course he will. " - something like that.

I admire you that you are not afraid of this dogma. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be reading anything about Christianity, I'd throw my books in the corner and go on with my life. But that makes it difficult. How did you deal with it? Because every argument against hell is refuted by Christians, e.g. man has a need for justice in his nature, imagine if someone brutally hurt you or your family. Would you take pity on this man or punish him? Most would be for punishment. You often hear about rapists being castrated and tortured (at least I have heard one such story that happened in a prison). And I don't know what to do with this argument, it seems to support the idea of hell, but reserved for violent people. however, as we know in the eyes of God, each of us is a brutal sinner. I haven't found the right answers to this yet, but I have been in a situation where someone has hurt me and I wish this person torture in my mind. However, when everything was ok later and this person was nice to me, I regretted my thoughts. But apparently in hell you don't even have the opportunity to regret, so the problem stays.

4 hours ago, Aibao said:

if I have a hobby or not, work or not, I will not run away from these thoughts, I will not disconnect my brain from myself

Perhaps we have a difference in language.   For clarification, please tell me whether you, will not (chose not to),  Or can not (find it impossible to) run away from these thoughts? 

And please explain what you mean by, "disconnect my brain from myself"??

17 hours ago, Aibao said:

Somewhere I read a statement by a believer who did not like the idea of hell: "In the world we see that there is a lot of suffering. And we know that God has allowed it to happen. Since He has allowed the world to suffer great suffering, will he not allow hell? Of course he will. " - something like that.

I admire you that you are not afraid of this dogma. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be reading anything about Christianity, I'd throw my books in the corner and go on with my life. But that makes it difficult. How did you deal with it? Because every argument against hell is refuted by Christians, e.g. man has a need for justice in his nature, imagine if someone brutally hurt you or your family. Would you take pity on this man or punish him? Most would be for punishment. You often hear about rapists being castrated and tortured (at least I have heard one such story that happened in a prison). And I don't know what to do with this argument, it seems to support the idea of hell, but reserved for violent people. however, as we know in the eyes of God, each of us is a brutal sinner. I haven't found the right answers to this yet, but I have been in a situation where someone has hurt me and I wish this person torture in my mind. However, when everything was ok later and this person was nice to me, I regretted my thoughts. But apparently in hell you don't even have the opportunity to regret, so the problem stays.

There is a world of difference being human  justice and Christian justice. A guy steals your car, he gets caught, goes to prison for 18 months and has to pay a fine, Ok that is justice. A guy only thinks about stealing your car and you set him on fire, well that is Christian justice. 

Christianity tells you that you MUST only think happy thoughts about Yahweh, ALL the time. 

And can we trust the plan of salvation. Well from Adam to Jesus there was no plan of salvation. From Jesus to the finalising of the NT there is about 350 years, take or leave. So for nearly 4 and a half thousand years, no plan for salvation. Can we trust Yahweh to save us. The Bible says He that creates darkness and evil, that He hardens hearts and sends strong delusions so that humans will believe falsehoods. He speaks in riddles so that hearing we will not understand. That many will call on Him, and He will not save them (from Himself). 

How should we please Yahweh. By hating ourselves and  the world. By hating and abandoning our families, by living in poverty. By cutting off our organs, by cutting out our eyes and sawing off our hands. All these things the Bible "teaches".  Could Satan have treated us any worse. 

The whole edifice is madness built upon madness. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, quantum said:

There is a world of difference being human  justice and Christian justice. A guy steals your car, he gets caught, goes to prison for 18 months and has to pay a fine, Ok that is justice. A guy only thinks about stealing your car and you set him on fire, well that is Christian justice. 

👍👍  I like that comparrison!  As a teenager I thought I was going to hell because girls turned me on.  

On 4/3/2022 at 5:26 AM, Weezer said:

Perhaps we have a difference in language.   For clarification, please tell me whether you, will not (chose not to),  Or can not (find it impossible to) run away from these thoughts? 

And please explain what you mean by, "disconnect my brain from myself"??

Yes, my English is not that good so you might not really understand me. Hope I can explain it: I can't get away from religious thoughts, I can forget for a while, but after a while it comes back. By "disconnect my brain from myself" I mean just that: the point is, these thoughts are in my brain. They are written there, they have been recorded there, so no matter if I work or take care of my hobby (when was it?) They will confuse me all the time and remind me of religious topics and scare me with religion. Kind of like ... hmm .... I don't know if there is such a thing, but kind of indoctrinating myself. This kind of self-indoctrination. Do you understand what I mean?

9 hours ago, Aibao said:

. I don't know if there is such a thing, but kind of indoctrinating myself. This kind of self-indoctrination. Do you understand what I mean?

I think I understand.  It is VERY frustrating.  There are some who believe those persistant thoughts can be a defense mechanism to keep your brain from thinking about even worse overwhelming thoughts.  I highly suggest you see a mental health professional.  And NOT a religiously affiliated one. I believe there is more than fear of religion going on with you.  If a mental health center, or professional counselor is not avaiable, see someone in your college/university counseling center.  HANG IN THERE, as a saying in the USA goes.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 4/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, Aibao said:

Yes, my English is not that good so you might not really understand me. Hope I can explain it: I can't get away from religious thoughts, I can forget for a while, but after a while it comes back. By "disconnect my brain from myself" I mean just that: the point is, these thoughts are in my brain. They are written there, they have been recorded there, so no matter if I work or take care of my hobby (when was it?) They will confuse me all the time and remind me of religious topics and scare me with religion. Kind of like ... hmm .... I don't know if there is such a thing, but kind of indoctrinating myself. This kind of self-indoctrination. Do you understand what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean.  I have the same issues.  Disconnecting is difficult.

Hell doesn't bother me because it's a word that has been mis-translated to prop up the Christian narrative.  Hell is nothing more than the grave.  The earliest manuscripts don't even use the word hell.