Goodbye Jesus

Fucking Zealot Dirtbags

Vigile

Hey guys, been a while. I decided to come here and rant as anything I make public on social media is likely just going to add more pain and suffering to my family, who already have enough on their plates. 

So, why the bombastic title? My young cousin, 25, was just murdered by her scumbag overtly religious husband. His last post on FB this week was "Repent America!" A few posts back he made a video where he delivered "a message from god" to the US military. It appears he thinks he hears directly from god. Now, the papers report that god told him to kill his wife, my sweet little cousin. 

If there is anything the bible gets right it's 'by their fruits you will know them.' The fruits of religion are, the more zealous one is (i.e., the more seriously one takes it) the crazier and meaner they are. Piece of shit. I wish this on almost no one in this world, but on him, I wish there were a hell he could rot in. 

This may not help, but needed to express it anyway. 

• Sad 8

• Super Moderator

My condolences, friend.  If there is any way I can help, please let me know.

• Like 1

Oh man, I am so sorry!  What a tragedy.  Any words fall far, far short at a time like this. 

I wonder sometimes whether religious nuts like this guy would still be nuts without religion, whether their psychoses would find something else to latch onto.  But as I’ve often said since my deconversion, whenever somebody says “God wants…” or “God says…” then trouble is sure to follow.  

I am so sorry at the loss of your sweet cousin, my friend.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigile said:

Hey guys, been a while. I decided to come here and rant as anything I make public on social media is likely just going to add more pain and suffering to my family, who already have enough on their plates. 

So, why the bombastic title? My young cousin, 25, was just murdered by her scumbag overtly religious husband. His last post on FB this week was "Repent America!" A few posts back he made a video where he delivered "a message from god" to the US military. It appears he thinks he hears directly from god. Now, the papers report that god told him to kill his wife, my sweet little cousin. 

If there is anything the bible gets right it's 'by their fruits you will know them.' The fruits of religion are, the more zealous one is (i.e., the more seriously one takes it) the crazier and meaner they are. Piece of shit. I wish this on almost no one in this world, but on him, I wish there were a hell he could rot in. 

Hey Virgile, long time no see. I've missed you.

Yeah, your title is a bit bombastic, but for a reason as you suggest. IMO Many zealots are not bad folk as you imply. Religious zealots often try their best, but stupidity often undermines their thinking, behavior, and orations. And as you have written, sometimes zealots of all types are simply crazy. Sorry to hear of your family's loss. 

• Like 1

There are no words . . . express away.

• Like 1

• Admin

Sincere condolences to you and your entire family. 

6 hours ago, Vigile said:

Sorry to hear that, sir. Good to see you again, though.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone

Former College Soccer Player Found Dead In Apartment As Husband Is Charged With Murder

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/regan-gibbs-found-dead-husband-chad-marek-charged-kansas

Husband charged with murder in death of former KU soccer player Regan Gibbs, says God told him to do it

https://sports.yahoo.com/lawrence-man-charged-with-murder-in-death-of-former-ku-soccer-player-says-god-to-him-to-do-it-per-police-211218448.html

• Sad 1

• Super Moderator

Damn.  I saw that story on Yahoo News yesterday and wondered...

I'm really sorry this has happened.  Please do let me know if there is anything I can do. 

• Like 1

Condolences to you and your family.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry.  Sometimes I wonder where exactly religious belief crosses over into mental illness. This truly sounds like one of those times, not that that is any comfort. I hope you have friends, family, or something special that brings you comfort and helps to get you through this.

• Like 1

Condolences, Vigile.  :-{

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 8:13 PM, Vigile said:

Former College Soccer Player Found Dead In Apartment As Husband Is Charged With Murder

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/regan-gibbs-found-dead-husband-chad-marek-charged-kansas

Husband charged with murder in death of former KU soccer player Regan Gibbs, says God told him to do it

https://sports.yahoo.com/lawrence-man-charged-with-murder-in-death-of-former-ku-soccer-player-says-god-to-him-to-do-it-per-police-211218448.html

Vigile,

Unfortunately nut-cases like him can be found all over the world. Maybe he is trying for a mental institution instead of the death penalty. Ii appears this happened in the U.S. Wish it happened in Russian where you are -- there they don't tolerate religious zealots. There he might wish for a quick death for himself, or maybe tortured to death in prison or a firing squad.

19 hours ago, pantheory said:

Vigile,

Unfortunately nut-cases like him can be found all over the world. Maybe he is trying for a mental institution instead of the death penalty. Ii appears this happened in the U.S. Wish it happened in Russian where you are -- there they don't tolerate religious zealots. There he might wish for a quick death for himself, or maybe tortured to death in prison or a firing squad.

There's no death penalty here and the prisoners are treated pretty humanly. Navalny complains of abuse because they keep the television on Russian state TV, while he gives interviews from prison all the time.

I don't suppose this nut has much remorse. My mom told me he has been arrested 14 times prior to this. The family had been trying to get her to leave, but he was a control freak and had her in his grip. 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:54 AM, Vigile said:

There's no death penalty here and the prisoners are treated pretty humanly. Navalny complains of abuse because they keep the television on Russian state TV, while he gives interviews from prison all the time.

I don't suppose this nut has much remorse. My mom told me he has been arrested 14 times prior to this. The family had been trying to get her to leave, but he was a control freak and had her in his grip. 

Didn't know there's no death penalty there. Saying that God told him to do it is one way of getting into an insane asylum here instead of life in prison or the death penalty. But he would need to convince a psychiatrist that he actually believes that God told him. Here it's also a matter of premeditation. Did he plan it in advance, or was he just crazy at the time? Was his intent to kill her, or did he try to knock her around and something went wrong? I expect he does have remorse. If he was crazy all the time she would have left him. If he is really religious, he knows that murder will take him to hell. That's where he belongs, but unfortunately there ain't no such place, or heaven either IMO.

Most religious folk are not crazies like him, they are simply deluded and want to keep up the family tradition of a particular religion IMO. -- best wishes to you and family.

I don't think religion gets a free pass here; in particular this American-style brand of evangelical religion. Regan's FB page is full of No True Scotsman fallacies, where family and friends try and say this asshole wasn't a True(TM) xian, but he was the uber religious type who spent his time on street corners preaching the gospel and shaming others who didn't share his brand of zealotry. He is a true xian, and others just don't want to admit that he represents the categorical imperative of their adopted beliefs. 

Were it not for the religion, I don't think she would have found him or stayed with him. She appeared to be drawn to his commitment and probably thought she was doing the most pious thing she could do with her life. 

It's a cult and as such bears fruits of abuse and subservience, among other things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 9:43 AM, pantheory said:

Most religious folk are not crazies like him, they are simply deluded and want to keep up the family tradition of a particular religion IMO. -- best wishes to you and family.

It's not about most religious folks. It's about clear-cut zealotry and how that trait often corresponds to deviance and / or psychological disfunction.

Those of us who grew up in fundamentalist type settings have no doubt noticed along the way that many of the most outspoken and strictest of the lot, will turn out to be deviants who were using religion as a crutch the whole time. I don't have enough fingers and toes to list out all of the examples I've witnessed personally. 

The more outwardly pious, the more devious inside. 

That is a good rule of thumb to apply when anyone encounters a loud religious zealot. Assume them to be psychologically compromised first, assume them to be guilty unless they can somehow manage to prove themselves innocent. That sort of behavior foregoes the benefit of the doubt in my own opinion.

And I will sometimes vocalize that upfront to fuck them up. "It's always been my experience that the most pious are hiding something. What might you be hiding?" Then they're on the defensive straightaway and it can shut them the fuck up because they know they're being psycho-analyzed and watched very closely. Profile the mother fucker! 

It's hard to grow up and live around SDA's without applying this learned knowledge from experience and intuition. Because it's so common and unsurprising when it happens. 

Someone won't shut up about jesus, someone won't shut up about taking delight in damming everyone to hell, they get high off of the prospect of being a member of the only true church in the world - that's a narcissistic religious zealot, as deviant as the day is long, trying to hide themselves behind a banner of christian mumbo jumbo. 

It doesn't matter if most christians are like that or not, that's beside the point here. What matters is the ones who obviously are like that. And the question of what to do about them? And to keep them at arm's length as a danger to themselves and everyone else. 

On 5/22/2022 at 4:33 AM, Vigile said:

I don't think religion gets a free pass here; in particular this American-style brand of evangelical religion. Regan's FB page is full of No True Scotsman fallacies, where family and friends try and say this asshole wasn't a True(TM) xian, but he was the uber religious type who spent his time on street corners preaching the gospel and shaming others who didn't share his brand of zealotry. He is a true xian, and others just don't want to admit that he represents the categorical imperative of their adopted beliefs. 

Were it not for the religion, I don't think she would have found him or stayed with him. She appeared to be drawn to his commitment and probably thought she was doing the most pious thing she could do with her life. 

It's a cult and as such bears fruits of abuse and subservience, among other things. 

You're god dammed right religion doesn't get a free pass here! 

It sets up the psychological soil where this sort of mental disfunction can fester and grow. Under the banner of the bible. Apologists rush in to claim, 'that's just the old testament!' To which I'd respond with opening up to the blood bath known as the book of Revelation.....

Sorry for your loss Vigile. It's too bad that he couldn't be stopped ahead of murdering her. Even though it was obvious that he's a loose cannon. No one could force her away from the guy. I see that the details haven't been given. But is the situation that she tried to leave, and he beat her to death? 

• Like 1

I don't have many details myself, but apparently, her sister tried to get her to leave recently and she wouldn't. An old pastor stopped by their place a month ago because she had stopped going to church. He heard loud music but no one would come to the door. He left his number and asked that she call, but she never did. Her phone supposedly broke and she could only talk to her mother via speaker on his phone so he could overhear everything. 

The sad reality is that her father, my cousin, abused her (he's in prison for it now) and she was probably predisposed toward something like this as a result. Prior to this, she suffered from an eating disorder, which is why she didn't make the national team as she was projected to do. It's all a really fucked up situation and certainly something I never expected from my own relatives. 

22 hours ago, Vigile said:

I don't have many details myself, but apparently, her sister tried to get her to leave recently and she wouldn't. An old pastor stopped by their place a month ago because she had stopped going to church. He heard loud music but no one would come to the door. He left his number and asked that she call, but she never did. Her phone supposedly broke and she could only talk to her mother via speaker on his phone so he could overhear everything. 

The sad reality is that her father, my cousin, abused her (he's in prison for it now) and she was probably predisposed toward something like this as a result. Prior to this, she suffered from an eating disorder, which is why she didn't make the national team as she was projected to do. It's all a really fucked up situation and certainly something I never expected from my own relatives. 

That's too bad. What's worse is that it's not that uncommon a tale. 

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this @Vigile My condolences.

• Like 1

Wow. My condolences. We're seeing more and more violence and almost enough senseless murder to become desensitized. I'm so sorry that it hit so close to home for you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for your loss Vigile.  IMO the nastier strains of evangelicalism tend to attract predators- it provides all the cover they need.

21 hours ago, RankStranger said:

I'm sorry for your loss Vigile.  IMO the nastier strains of evangelicalism tend to attract predators- it provides all the cover they need.

Only 2 postings? Welcome to X-Christ Rank. Expect you will like it here. Big Sky country -- Montana I expect ?  Gets cold there but it should be warming up a bit by now, no?