Goodbye Jesus

How to Interpret the Bible

Hierophant

• Super Moderator

During my Christian days, I ran across of a lot of systematic theology trying to apply hermeneutics in a consistent manner. In my experience, this does not work comprehensively. At some point in time, there is a retreat to "well, this is a parable," or "this is symbolic," etc. My question would be, who decided that was the case. Yahweh did not bother with a forward or introduction in the Bible where he explains what should be taken literally and what should be taken figuratively. What ends up happening is that the Bible gets interpreted via culture bias, personality, education, and other various factors. This always struck me as a problem, and what ends up happening is that Christians essentially make themselves the authority of the Bible, instead of viewing the Bible as authoritative.

Not only do I consistently see the aforementioned, the Bible is not a standalone document. When I first read the Bible, I had no idea what was going on 80% of the time. Without contextual knowledge of the region, culture, and historical events, the Bible is totally confusing. Does that not run counterintuitive to a "divine love letter? (absolutely stupid idea - whoever thought of that is a total shit)" or a guide from God on what he expects. Really, if that is the best a God can do, we are doomed. Completely fails to articulate any systematic way of thinking or guidance. The countless variety of Jewish and Christian sects is demonstrable proof of this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Hierophant said:

During my Christian days, I ran across of a lot of systematic theology trying to apply hermeneutics in a consistent manner. In my experience, this does not work comprehensively. At some point in time, there is a retreat to "well, this is a parable," or "this is symbolic," etc. My question would be, who decided that was the case. Yahweh did not bother with a forward or introduction in the Bible where he explains what should be taken literally and what should be taken figuratively. What ends up happening is that the Bible gets interpreted via culture bias, personality, education, and other various factors. This always struck me as a problem, and what ends up happening is that Christians essentially make themselves the authority of the Bible, instead of viewing the Bible as authoritative.

Not only do I consistently see the aforementioned, the Bible is not a standalone document. When I first read the Bible, I had no idea what was going on 80% of the time. Without contextual knowledge of the region, culture, and historical events, the Bible is totally confusing. Does that not run counterintuitive to a "divine love letter? (absolutely stupid idea - whoever thought of that is a total shit)" or a guide from God on what he expects. Really, if that is the best a God can do, we are doomed. Completely fails to articulate any systematic way of thinking or guidance. The countless variety of Jewish and Christian sects is demonstrable proof of this.

Remember, there is no God. Like the cute saying goes, God did not make man in his own image, It goes the other way around. Man made a God(s) in his own image.

I think Abrahamic religions are a little unique.  Historically man has made gods in more non-human forms. The Greeks and Romans had their human-like gods, but earlier humanity had more creative ideas of the gods. :)

Yeah, I agree. The bible takes a lot of imagination to come up with valuable lessons of life in these far more advanced times. I think the Bible fit much better with the thinking of humanity two thousand year ago. It certainly has  held much of humanity back from progressing into more "realistic" thinking concerning the modern world and technology -- that would result in a better, more realistic life for them. One can only reminisce in good-time religion and outdated culture just for awhile, After that one is hurting his potential future. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Hierophant,

If only you understood.  See, God talks directly to his true followers.  How do you know it's God and not a deception by the devil/demons/evil spirits?  Easy, do other people who claim to hear from God agree with you?  If yes, it's God.  If no, it's still God and they are deceived.

Heads I win; tails you lose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator
4 minutes ago, Krowb said:

@Hierophant,

If only you understood.  See, God talks directly to his true followers.  How do you know it's God and not a deception by the devil/demons/evil spirits?  Easy, do other people who claim to hear from God agree with you?  If yes, it's God.  If no, it's still God and they are deceived.

Heads I win; tails you lose.

I hear that a lot. I always push back on that methodology, because time and again I have seen devout believers state the Holy Spirit is talking to them, yet they constantly disagree.

Sounds reasonable.  Might be a fun exercise to see what type of God we would develop here.

A story that came to mind immediately after reading your OP.....a story about a lady that did performance art, as the story goes, by putting herself under general anesthesia and allowing people to do things to her body.  She had a table of different things I gather to assist ideas.  I expect she envisioned people painting flowers on her body, etc.  What actually happened were violations and then the "broken glass/broken window" effect....people following in line in the abuse.

So yeah, there's that......people for your God to govern.

• Super Moderator
9 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

Sounds reasonable

Which part, exactly?

27 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Which part, exactly?

I just remember as a young Christian how difficult the story was....and the damn Christian-eze made it even worse.  "Die to self".  To a young person??  I disliked organized religion for many years....still not my favorite thing.

• Super Moderator
20 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I just remember as a young Christian how difficult the story was....and the damn Christian-eze made it even worse.  "Die to self".  To a young person??  I disliked organized religion for many years....still not my favorite thing.

Oh.  I thought maybe you were commenting on the thread you commented on.  

13 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Oh.  I thought maybe you were commenting on the thread you commented on.  

I see your point.  I would have to delve into specifics....that I  don't have the energy.  I'll take my pennies of H's track and head home....

• Super Moderator
16 minutes ago, Edgarcito said:

I see your point.  I would have to delve into specifics....that I  don't have the energy.  I'll take my pennies of H's track and head home....

Or, you could just explain which part of the OP you think "sounds reasonable."  Sound reasonable?