Goodbye Jesus

Why is a password required to post in the "Sex and Christianinty" section of "Exchristian spirituality" forum?

Weezer

I knew there was a place to write about sex on this site, and have have been curious as to why no one every posted there.  I KNOW a number of we exfundies had problems with sexuality.  Reading Casuals response in the "creative" section about a letter to my 16 year old self, I noticed you have to have a password to write in the sex section.  WHY?

Sex was probably my biggest source of quilt and shame as a young teenage christian.  Why not make it easier to post there??

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

I knew there was a place to write about sex on this site, and have have been curious as to why no one every posted there.  I KNOW a number of we exfundies had problems with sexuality.  Reading Casuals response in the "creative" section about a letter to my 16 year old self, I noticed you have to have a password to write in the sex section.  WHY?

Sex was probably my biggest source of quilt and shame as a young teenage christian.  Why not make it easier to post there??

Honestly, it asked me the password and I don't know if I got lucky on my first attempt or what, but somehow I managed to get in immediately lmao.

But it is in the creative works section.  That doesn't require a password.

• Super Moderator

The idea is to protect, and provide a safe place for, our more vulnerable members.  Yes, on one hand making it easier to access would make it easier to access; but the downside to that would be that it would be easier to access.  As you mentioned, guilt and shame are already prevalent in such subjects, and allowing just anybody to waltz in and start commenting and posting would simply be a disaster waiting to happen.  Also, many, if not most, feel more comfortable and inclined to more deeply and genuinely explore their sexuality and the issues foisted upon their sexuality in an environment that is a bit more intimate and protected.  Our resident psychological professional, @Weezer, understands these concepts better than I do; I'm sure he could offer a better explanation.  😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

The idea is to protect, and provide a safe place for, our more vulnerable members.  Yes, on one hand making it easier to access would make it easier to access; but the downside to that would be that it would be easier to access.  As you mentioned, guilt and shame are already prevalent in such subjects, and allowing just anybody to waltz in and start commenting and posting would simply be a disaster waiting to happen.  Also, many, if not most, feel more comfortable and inclined to more deeply and genuinely explore their sexuality and the issues foisted upon their sexuality in an environment that is a bit more intimate and protected.  Our resident psychological professional, @Weezer, understands these concepts better than I do; I'm sure he could offer a better explanation.  😉

Ohhh okay that makes sense.

Does anyoe post there?  A disaster is certainly not going to happen if no one goes there.  And who would know if anyone posts there?   Can you more fully explain how it works? 

19 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Does anyoe post there?  A disaster is certainly not going to happen if no one goes there.  And who would know if anyone posts there?   Can you more fully explain how it works? 

Yeah there's a few posts there. Some event recent. I think disaster prevention makes a lot of sense given the purpose for  that section. As for the last question, I'm not quite sure who else would know besides the mods and anyone let in. I didn't get a notification or anything from the response to one of my posts and only saw I got a response when I checked back on it. If someone replies to your post I don't believe you get anything until you go back to the post, but that's just my experience. I didn't even get access to it until later randomly it just showed up.

3 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Yeah there's a few posts there. Some event recent. I think disaster prevention makes a lot of sense given the purpose for  that section. As for the last question, I'm not quite sure who else would know besides the mods and anyone let in. I didn't get a notification or anything from the response to one of my posts and only saw I got a response when I checked back on it. If someone replies to your post I don't believe you get anything until you go back to the post, but that's just my experience. I didn't even get access to it until later randomly it just showed up.

Are you talking about the letter to my 16 year old self?   I see your reply and others there, but That is not in the sex forum.  It is in the creative forum which does not require a password.

• Super Moderator
32 minutes ago, Weezer said:

It does not get as much traffic as some of our other forums; but it works like any other forum: you post a topic concerning sexuality and them as want to respond do so.  It has, at times, been a more popular forum; but our crowd lately doesn't seem overly concerned about sexual matters.  That is, of course, subject to change in due course.  Whether it is heavily visited, or nearly deserted, though, we want all of our members to feel safe.  Hence, the password protection. 

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Are you talking about the letter to my 16 year old self?   I see your reply and others there, but That is not in the sex forum.  It is in the creative forum which does not require a password.

Oh no I was talking about the sex forum. I don't know why the letter wouldn't be in there given it would probably fit in the sex forum rather than the creative one. I have no clue.

5 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

It does not get as much traffic as some of our other forums; but it works like any other forum: you post a topic concerning sexuality and them as want to respond do so.  It has, at times, been a more popular forum; but our crowd lately doesn't seem overly concerned about sexual matters.  That is, of course, subject to change in due course.  Whether it is heavily visited, or nearly deserted, though, we want all of our members to feel safe.  Hence, the password protection. 

Do you have to consult someone to get the password to get into the forum?  Who gets notice of postings?  Who can reply?  It is really hard to have any opinions or suggestions about something when you have absolutely no idea how it works.

Again I tried to get into the Sex forum, and could not without a password.  But it let me into the Pinned section.  There are a couple of interesting threads there.  The one about LGBT gets a little contentious.

• Super Moderator

@Weezer, if you would like access to the sexuality forum, you will need to contact a moderator through private message to get the password.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

@Weezer, if you would like access to the sexuality forum, you will need to contact a moderator through private message to get the password.  Thanks.

Thanks!  I would think resident moderators would know that it would be helpful if those instructions were posted on the page where you try to enter the forum. 😁  It might get more traffic if that info was readily available.  

And can you give an example of how posting there might create a disaster?   Show me the evidence.  Otherwise, I think the fears of a disaster are based on emotions.

• Super Moderator

Your opinion is noted.  We appreciate your input. 

6 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Your opinion is noted.  We appreciate your input. 

My question still stands.

• Super Moderator
10 minutes ago, Weezer said:

My question still stands.

Okay, if letting it go isn't an option.  Imagine a newcomer who finally feels like it is safe to come out as bisexual, does so in our forum; and then some really conservative christian finds their post and decides to "minister" to them.  Imagine a younger member using the nickname his mom gave him as a kid comes out as gay; and then his nosy-ass mom happens to Google search his nickname--thread pops up in the search engine... well, now the kid is homeless because mom doesn't support his lifestyle choices and kicks him out; and she's hurt that he hid the truth from her for so long.

Passwords protect our members.  You may think it is unnecessary; but the rest of us think otherwise. 

Personally, I'm okay with the information not being readily available.  It ensures that only those serious enough to pursue access will be posting there.

Anything else I can do for you?

8 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Okay, if letting it go isn't an option.  Imagine a newcomer who finally feels like it is safe to come out as bisexual, does so in our forum; and then some really conservative christian finds their post and decides to "minister" to them.  Imagine a younger member using the nickname his mom gave him as a kid comes out as gay; and then his nosy-ass mom happens to Google search his nickname--thread pops up in the search engine... well, now the kid is homeless because mom doesn't support his lifestyle choices and kicks him out; and she's hurt that he hid the truth from her for so long.

That makes sense, I mean, I have to hide the fact I'm on this forum and in general interacting with (close) internet friends from my parents anyway because of my parent's views. They wouldn't kick me out, but it's a risk enough being here because they're overly concerned about me talking with strangers because they automatically assume everyone on the internet has malicious intent and wants to do harmful things to me (which is reasonable to some extent, but they don't get that not every internet stranger wants to sell you on the black market or some shit). Not to mention they're concerned about what I'm "filling my mind with". I wouldn't be caught dead reading a book on evolution or watching LGBT content lmfao.

1 hour ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Anything else I can do for you?

Not at the present moment.  Thank you for explaining the situation.  Although I believe  that would be a pretty slim possibiblty, not being from the computer age, that never occured to me.  

As you know, anytime I think something could be done in a way that would be more beneficial for the forum and people using it, I ask questions and make suggetions.

• Super Moderator
31 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Not at the present moment.  Thank you for explaining the situation.  Although I believe  that would be a pretty slim possibiblty, not being from the computer age, that never occured to me.  

As you know, anytime I think something could be done in a way that would be more beneficial for the forum and people using it, I ask questions and make suggetions.

And I genuinely appreciate you doing so.  This is everyone's community; and everyone can help make it better.