Goodbye Jesus

Genetic Material and Evolution

Hierophant

• Super Moderator

Question for you witty folks, there is something about evolution I am not sure of and I am having trouble looking it up (I am not sure how to get the results I want). I don't understand how new genetic information is produced, for example, where did the genetic code for a tiger to have stripes in its skin come from, given that some ancient ancestor presumably did not have that code? Is the result of micro mutations over a long period of time? And if that is the case, I am not tracking the explicit process of how genetic mutations goes from some base code, to something completely different.

If anyone knows a good resource, I would appreciate it!

• Super Moderator

I think I just found what I was looking for. For whatever reason, I could never find an article that actually went into the mutation process, and then I found one.

• Super Moderator

Glad I couldn't help. 

• Haha 1

@Hierophant

Mind sharing the link?

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Krowb said:

@Hierophant

Mind sharing the link?

Of course I cannot find the one I got to earlier, but this one is equally as good.

https://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/genetic-mutation-441/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Genetic mistakes are the basis of evolution. Most occur during conception when an egg is fertilized and the two genetics come together. Few of these "mistakes" turn out to be valuable to the offspring. There is something called epigenetics which often relates to gene folding, some genes being "turned off" and others "turned on." Both eggs and sperms can be changed during an individual's lifetime which can change their offspring for the better or worse. Even most of these epigenetic changes are negative also, but more likely to be positive advantages than random evolutionary changes. Epigenetic changes can also happen within a person's lifetime, but presently we know little of such processes, how or why they can happen in any type of life.

Epigenetic changes are believed to be very uncommon but can be the reason why rarely identical twins can be very different, one from the other.

• Thanks 1

I don't know if this is related to the topic, And I don't remember if I asked this before, but is it possible to manipulate genes or DNA to shorten, or lengthen the life of a animal?

On 8/3/2023 at 10:42 AM, Weezer said:

I don't know if this is related to the topic, And I don't remember if I asked this before, but is it possible to manipulate genes or DNA to shorten, or lengthen the life of a animal?

Hi Weez,

Yes, we have experimented with gene editing in humans and other animals and plants. Mostly its with the idea of helping or curing a gigantic disease. Most of it is still experimental and the disease has to be very serious or life threatening. Changing genes for the better is called eugenics. WWII Germans were experimenting with this mainly by selective breeding. Within 50-100 years from now I expect gene editing via gene splicing for a number of reasons will become more common IMO. The best process and a great one, which we have now goes by the acronym  of CRISPR. It works for both living humans and in vitro-fertilization to produce a desired type of human offspring or animal etc.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pantheory said:

Hi Weez,

Yes, we have experimented with gene editing in humans and other animals and plants. Mostly its with the idea of helping or curing a gigantic disease. Most of it is still experimental and the disease has to be very serious or life threatening. Changing genes for the better is called eugenics. WWII Germans were experimenting with this mainly by selective breeding. Within 50-100 years from now I expect gene editing via gene splicing for a number of reasons will become more common IMO. The best process and a great one, which we have now goes by the acronym  of CRISPR. It works for both living humans and in vitro-fertilization to produce a desired type of human offspring or animal etc.

The reason I ask is because there are some people who believe human genes were edited by very advanced beings to shorten human lives.  And the event got modified centuries later by biblical writers to indicate it was God who limited human life to 120 years as in in the old testament.  I was just curious if gene editing like that could even be done.

On 8/6/2023 at 1:36 PM, Weezer said:

The reason I ask is because there are some people who believe human genes were edited by very advanced beings to shorten human lives.  And the event got modified centuries later by biblical writers to indicate it was God who limited human life to 120 years as in in the old testament.  I was just curious if gene editing like that could even be done.

I don't know but expect that gene editing to make a shorter life span without promoting a genetic disease might also be difficult, but maybe not as difficult as gene editing to make a longer life span.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dude said:

Proof of evolution?

Google "proof of evolution" and see what you come up with.  If you are implying it doesn't exist, "prove" that it doesn't exist.

• Super Moderator
5 hours ago, Dude said:

Proof of evolution?

Do you mean evidence?

On 8/18/2023 at 9:34 PM, Dude said:

Proof of evolution?

The shortest drive-by posting ever?

Just three words.

:shrug:

12 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

The shortest drive-by posting ever?

Just three words.

:shrug:

Maybe he just needs to evolve his sentences a little bit.

• Haha 2