Goodbye Jesus

Most horrific bible passage?

Wertbag

There are a lot of really messed up things in the bible, but I'm interested to hear which stories in particular horrify you the most.

There are 3 that jump to the front of my mind; Having bears tear apart 42 children for calling a bald man bald.  Brutally executing the old man for collecting sticks on the sabbath (a victimless crime given the death penalty) or God murdering the first born of Egypt (killing thousands in one swoop, including newborn babies, for crimes they didn't commit).

There are obviously the rules about owning and beating your slaves, forcing rape victims to marry their abusers, forcing girls captured in war into sex slavery with the men who murdered their family or the famous Psalm 137 about bashing babies on rocks.

So much horror to choose from...  what verses turn your stomach the most?

• Super Moderator

Lot's daughters ranks close to the top for me.  And he was considered a "righteous" man.

I know it's not a verse, but rather an entire chapter.... Revelation. Fucking hate Revelation. Gonna look up the history on it at some point, but god, I can't even think about it or even want to learn because it's too much for me. I almost panicked on several occasions because I thought I got left behind. One time I woke up and everybody in the house was gone so I started panicking really hard. It wasn't until I called my Mom and she answered back that then I was able to calm down.

Not to mention, my parents talk about China and Russia coming together in the end times and famine and a one-world currency and mark of the beast or whatever and all this horrible shit and for so long I was paralyzed by fear that this is going to happen. It still haunts me a bit, but it's sort of calmed down. I say sort of because it's not as frequent anymore. I sorta rationalized in my head like "Well, the Simpsons "predicts" shit all the time soooo..."

It may sound completely insane to use the Simpsons of all things to quell my deep-seated rapture anxiety, but it's either that or I have to deal with relentless fear and obsessive thoughts.

7 hours ago, Wertbag said:

So much horror to choose from...  what verses turn your stomach the most?

All of the above!  

6 hours ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

One time I woke up and everybody in the house was gone so I started panicking really hard. It wasn't until I called my Mom and she answered back that then I was able to calm down.

How long ago was this?

5 hours ago, Weezer said:

How long ago was this?

I think about two years ago or a bit sooner than that??? It's been a bit since I last really panicked about it as far as I can remember. It's a bit hard for me to pinpoint exactly when I thought about it. Now the thoughts are more centered around the whole China and Russia coming together in the end times and one-world currencies and shit because of recent events I keep hearing about and when my parents bring up shortages I panic about famine and junk. I can probably thank one of the TV preachers my Mom watches... and the news. It's a lot.

Like, at this point I'm coming to the realization a lot of this is irrational or just TV preachers latching onto the latest conflict and going "we're in the end times now" and using things that have occurred many times before to instill fear. And also me just buying into the "what if it's true" thoughts and I'm getting overly paranoid over nothing, but at the same time my anxiety brain™️ doesn't really help out with that. Still not sure about one-world governments and currencies, but I'm still convinced it's bullshit. Just stuck in anxiety and can't let go of the thought is all.

How about Romans 8 : 18 - 21?

18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 

19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 

20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 

21 that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

It's truly horrific when you realise that god himself corrupted his own creation.  He subjected every living thing to suffering and death, just to glorify himself.  And then he pinned the blame for all this suffering on his two innocent patsy's, Adam and Eve.  

If that's not horrific, I don't know what is.

• Like 2

One of my "favorite stories is when God sent 2 bears to kill 42 teenagers for teasing and mocking Ilisha's bald head.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-God-send-bears-to-kill-42-children-for-making-fun-of-a-bald-man

• Like 1

3 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

It's truly horrific when you realise that god himself corrupted his own creation.  He subjected every living thing to suffering and death, just to glorify himself.  And then he pinned the blame for all this suffering on his two innocent patsy's, Adam and Eve.  

If that's not horrific, I don't know what is.

I mean, he knew from the very beginning too that all this would happen. It seems he deliberately set us up for failure and cursed us for like no good reason other than to make us rely on him and glorify him. But it doesn't make sense because he doesn't really need us to praise him or even be there for him. God doesn't need anyone else, right? Why make us praise him at all? He's the one who subjected us to all of this in the first place. What exactly makes him worthy of praise?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pantheory said:

One of my "favorite stories is when God sent 2 bears to kill 42 teenagers for teasing and mocking Ilisha's bald head.

https://www.quora.com/Why-did-God-send-bears-to-kill-42-children-for-making-fun-of-a-bald-man

Oh my God I forgot about this. I mean teens can be cruel, but I don't think mauling them to death is gonna teach them anything. Also, I was waaay off. I thought it was 2 lmao.

Yeah, killing 42 kids will certainly teach them a lesson not to tease again :)

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

I mean, he knew from the very beginning too that all this would happen. It seems he deliberately set us up for failure and cursed us for like no good reason other than to make us rely on him and glorify him. But it doesn't make sense because he doesn't really need us to praise him or even be there for him. God doesn't need anyone else, right? Why make us praise him at all? He's the one who subjected us to all of this in the first place. What exactly makes him worthy of praise?

Doesn't make any sense for an all seeing, all knowing and all powerful god to need anything, does it CFB?

But the whole train wreck makes more sense if you think of it in terms of a man-made **** up.

What happens when different people write different things about the same god...

...and then, thousands of years later it seems to make no sense?

That's what happens when there is no god but in the human imagination.

God's legal code is pretty messed up, giving laws to kill witches (does anyone think witches are real?), disobedient children, unbelievers or believers in other gods, adulterers and of course rules for owning and beating slaves.

I always love how Christians will go on about Gods perfect, objective, unchanging morals, then in the next breath say its all changed and we shouldn't follow any of the old laws, mostly because the laws don't match modern morals. Apparently the crimes were so bad as to be worthy of a brutal execution, but now no one bats an eye lid to people claiming to be witches or working the Sabbath. 

3 hours ago, pantheory said:

Yeah, killing 42 kids will certainly teach them a lesson not to tease again :)

I bear-ly even understand what the point of doing that was. I guess the moral of the story is... murder is a totally acceptable response to being teased at. Don't like being made fun of? Just kill the person making fun of you, obviously. It works everytime.

2 hours ago, walterpthefirst said:

Doesn't make any sense for an all seeing, all knowing and all powerful god to need anything, does it CFB?

But the whole train wreck makes more sense if you think of it in terms of a man-made **** up.

What happens when different people write different things about the same god...

...and then, thousands of years later it seems to make no sense?

That's what happens when there is no god but in the human imagination.

Honestly, to me, God is man-made more than anything. The whole religion is starting to lose its luster for me. I mean it has been, but it's like... why follow it? Why follow anything at all? Like I only know of the Christian God because that's what I've been raised up in and I haven't studied anything else yet, but even then, there's all these other religions out there that claim to be the "right one" or the "true one" out of the many, many different ones. What makes Christianity any better or more true or whatever than the rest? What makes any of them true?

Another thing too with different people writing about the same God, especially throughout long periods of time, is that it's like a giant game of telephone. Words get distorted and things get inconsistent the longer it goes.

Not to mention if the Tower of Babel story is to be taken as a real event that actually happened, then god kinda fucked up his own infallible perfect word by switching up languages. Like, he obviously had the foresight to know that switching up the languages and confusing people would cause problems later down the line with transcribing his Word, but he went ahead and did it anyway because... he can, I guess.

Now you have the problem of interpreting the Word into different languages where some words don't even exist and now you have to rely on mankind to translate everything and make sure it's all correct. How can god see everything, yet be so short-sighted at the exact same time? You made mankind (which God deems fallible, sinful, etc) write your supposedly infallible holy word that people are supposed to believe with their whole hearts, souls and minds and not lean on their own understanding and all that jazz; but it's like now you have to trust that a book that has been passed down from probably many, many generations and was translated a bunch of times is somehow the infallible word of god??? What???

Hosea 13:16 is pretty fucking sick. Along with Isaiah 13:16-18.

Hosea

16 Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.

Isaiah 

16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and as for gold, they shall not delight in it.

18 Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eyes shall not spare children.

And when they say they have no pity on the fruit of the womb. In other translations it says their pregnant women will be ripped open. Bible God is a sick fuck for sure. 

DB

5 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

Bible God is a sick fuck for sure. 

Excuse me, what-- and I cannot stress this enough-- the fuck?! I wish I could un-read something because holy shit, dude.

7 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Excuse me, what-- and I cannot stress this enough-- the fuck?! I wish I could un-read something because holy shit, dude.

Yep, that's the God Christians worship. Honestly, it would be hard for me to worship a God that sick even if he came down from heaven and showed himself to me. And I knew he was real. I sure as fuck wouldn't want to be singing his praise for all eternity. That would just be another version of hell for me now. 

DB

1 minute ago, DarkBishop said:

Yep, that's the God Christians worship. Honestly, it would be hard for me to worship a God that sick even if he came down from heaven and showed himself to me. And I knew he was real. I sure as fuck wouldn't want to be singing his praise for all eternity. That would just be another version of hell for me now. 

DB

Yeah, honestly, even if he is real (which I highly doubt) why the fuck would anyone follow him??? He's so messed up. With the amount of people he's killed, the times he's ordered people to kill for him and just the amount of bloodshed in general...why do we allow kids to read this shit? It's so violent and also very vivid in its depictions of violence. Kids can pick this up at such a young age, but can't go into an R-rated movie or watch Harry Potter or Pokemon because it's witchcraft or involving evolution? Okay. That makes perfect sense!

• Like 1

And of course, the famous Pslam 137:9 "Happy/Blessed is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Casualfanboy16 said:

Yeah, honestly, even if he is real (which I highly doubt) why the fuck would anyone follow him??? 

Most of the people I know are the more "liberal" minded christians,  and have never read the old testament.  And more liberal preachers don't talk about those gory stories.  There is a lot of "cherry picking" of scripture.  Several have left christianity after finally reading the O.T.

You are "seeing the light!!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

You are "seeing the light!!"

Yeah, I really am. I'm glad. It just seems so fucked to me that this supposedly loving and just and morally righteous god condones and even goes out of his way to commit fucked up atrocities so that we remain dependent on him and must worship him to save ourselves from the enemy and problems that he himself created. I could've fallen into a more progressive Christian circle and I'm glad I didn't because it still feels like they're cherry picking scripture to make Christianity more palatable to modern times.

Personally, I would prefer hanging around Progressive Christian that wouldn't hate me or give me a lecture about how I'm an abomination over one that would tell me my bundle of sticks ass is gonna burn in hell for all eternity, but it still feel like its cherry picking to make it more acceptable the modern world as they're moving away from religion and there's the whole decline and stuff.

• Like 1

The flood in Genesis. I questioned this as a kid. Why would God kill innocent children and babies? I vaguely remember my mom trying to explain why they all "deserved it." Sick, twisted logic that would never hold up in a more compassionate society governed by humans. How ironic.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, freshstart said:

The flood in Genesis. I questioned this as a kid. Why would God kill innocent children and babies? I vaguely remember my mom trying to explain why they all "deserved it." Sick, twisted logic that would never hold up in a more compassionate society governed by humans. How ironic.

What gets me too is how it's really marketed as a cutesy children's story. The book stand at my job has a Noah's Ark book with happy smiling animals on it and it's cute on the surface, but it's just weird when you really think about it. Like, why is worldwide genocide marketed in a rather kid-friendly way? It's so disturbing, but in a morbidly hilarious way????

• Like 2

2 hours ago, freshstart said:

Why would God kill innocent children and babies? I vaguely remember my mom trying to explain why they all "deserved it."

The earlier version (by several centuries) written by ancient Sumerians say it was done because the humans were making so much noise that one of the gods couldn't sleep.  A really good reason to wipe them out!