Goodbye Jesus

HOW LONG CAN CONTENT BE HELD WHEN CONSTRUCTING, OR REPLYING TO A THREAD?

Weezer

If you start writing a new thread, or replying in a thread, and you  get interupted before you are finished writing and want to come back later and finish,  how long is that writing held without clicking on "Submit reply"?

The short answer is, I don’t know.  I’m guessing you’ve seen stuff you’ve typed disappear in situations like this.  Me too.  I sometimes compose longer posts in the Notes app on my phone before pasting them into the post and then clicking Submit.  How long typed text is retained is a function of the platform that hosts this site and many others.  Maybe @webmdave or @TheRedneckProfessor know more…

• Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

I do indeed know more.  I know that the length of time the algorithm will hold your musings depends largely on the mood the algorithm is in on any particular day.  Sometimes it will hold your information for hours; other times there's not even enough time to go pee before it is all lost.  We feed the algorithm a steady diet of virgins and baby flesh in order to keep it appeased, but really these measures amount to little more than aspirin for a kidney stone.  I'd recommend writing your more lengthy posts in Word or some other typing program first, and then you can copy/paste the final draft into the forum or thread you are targeting.  It's what I often do; because much of my writing comes from the inspiration of the moment, and I never can quite word things right the second time around, especially once the moment has passed and I'm thinking about other things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• Admin
13 hours ago, Weezer said:

If you start writing a new thread, or replying in a thread, and you  get interrupted before you are finished writing and want to come back later and finish,  how long is that writing held without clicking on "Submit reply"?

That entirely depends on your browser cache. A draft (just typing in the text field) does not reach the forum until you click "submit." Your browser cache is what is populating the text field with your previous typing during those times when you are interrupted and then come back to it. So, since it depends on your browser cache, there is no absolute answer I can provide. 

Wisest recommendation, especially if you risk being interrupted, is this: 

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I'd recommend writing your more lengthy posts in Word or some other typing program first, and then you can copy/paste the final draft into the forum or thread you are targeting.

Thanks guys!  I have never had anything lost here, but have on other forums.  But was also using another computer on the other forums.

4 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

much of my writing comes from the inspiration of the moment, and I never can quite word things right the second time around, 

HA!  and for me there is at times the 3rd or 4th time, and then after submitting what I wrote, wished I had not posted it.  😁

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, webmdave said:

That entirely depends on your browser cache. A draft (just typing in the text field) does reach the forum until you click "submit." Your browser cache is what is populating the text field with your previous typing during those times when you are interrupted and then come back to it. So, since it depends on your browser cache, there is no absolute answer I can provide. 

Wisest recommendation, especially if you risk being interrupted, is this: 

That's what I do. Then I have a copy of my own to refer to (so I don't have to go digging for where I originally posted). 

6 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

and I never can quite word things right the second time around

Sure you word it right the first time around?

• Haha 1

• Super Moderator
23 minutes ago, Krowb said:

Sure you word it right the first time around?

Rabid squirrels engaged in a cocaine-fueled orgy.

• Haha 4