Goodbye Jesus

Update: 2024

DarkBishop

I hope the new job works out well!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

It now amazes me that so much of the world are still stuck on their various fairy-tales. I enjoy learning more actual truths about the bible so much. After all those years of confusion and searching for the answers, to finally have them is wonderful.

This, so much. I've been devouring YT videos of Bart Ehrman and a few others and learning so much about actual Bible history and authors and culture, and the early divisions and conflicts in the church. It burns me how the church fosters a simplistic and false view of the Bible, and how easily people fall for it all. I really wonder at the mechanisms behind why people believe in the first place and how willing they/we are to pushing aside anything that might make the magical kingdom fade. 

Hang in there. I have no answers about dating. I watch how people approach it these days and am mystified by it. I still think one of the best ways is to get into a social circle of people doing something you like (for me singing and music in general, and dance lessons), and then doing one's best to be attractive physically and otherwise. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

Hang in there. I have no answers about dating. I watch how people approach it these days and am mystified by it. I still think one of the best ways is to get into a social circle of people doing something you like (for me singing and music in general, and dance lessons), and then doing one's best to be attractive physically and otherwise. 

I agree with Fuego.  If you live in or near a larger city, there may be some "humanitarian" or athiest/agnostic groups where you could mix socially.  Recently in Wichita a group called "OASIS" formed for non believers.  And you might look into the Unitarian Universalist church.  And don't let the word "church" turn you off.  They fellowship anyone, and many members are agnostic, and some athiest.  It is mainly a big support group for humanitarians.  At least that is the way I see the one here in Wichita.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuego said:

This, so much. I've been devouring YT videos of Bart Ehrman and a few others and learning so much about actual Bible history and authors and culture, and the early divisions and conflicts in the church. It burns me how the church fosters a simplistic and false view of the Bible, and how easily people fall for it all. I really wonder at the mechanisms behind why people believe in the first place and how willing they/we are to pushing aside anything that might make the magical kingdom fade. 

I absolutely love the way Bart Ehrman explains his studies. He really makes sure he breaks it down so it can be understood by everyone. Well.... except believers, if you bring any of that up to them, they will always deny it.

Can you imagine how peaceful the world would be without Abrahamic religions? They are such a cancer on the world's various societies that practice them. But it is such a massive problem/non-problem. I say it that way because most the world believes in one form or another. So it's not a problem. Not in their minds anyway. But to us on the outside we can see that everything they are fighting about and for is all myth and legend. People are dying right now because of something that was written thousands of years ago. It is sad. I try to just not think about it because really what can ya do? Not a damn thing. 

DB

• Like 4

Greetings brother!

Thanks for posting the update, the good and the not so good!   One thing that stands out for me is the sad fact that a couple can have so much that ties them together, friendship, sex, having children together, plain old love, and yet if they don’t see eye to eye on the existence of a bronze-age god of a Middle Eastern tribe, that can ruin everything.  My own wife is still very much a believer, even though she switched from Church of Christ back to the Catholicism she grew up with.  Although she disagrees with my conclusion, she does respect me and my beliefs and I sometimes think she could be open to changing her mind.  But I also sometimes feel that our religious differences could be a ticking time bomb of sorts.   

18 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

If reconciliation were to happen. I think it the best probability of success would have to involve her questioning her faith enough to deconvert.

You know her and we don’t, but most Christians simply aren’t capable of deconverting, I’m sorry to say.  Even if they see the problems, the contradictions in the belief system, you have to give yourself permission to deconvert, to endure the disapproval or anger of family and friends, and to give up lifelong beliefs that may be familiar and comfortable, even if they are unsound.  Maybe, just maybe, all the things you’ve shared together, the love, the friendship, the kids, might be enough to get over the hump.  It’s asking a lot, though.  

18 hours ago, DarkBishop said:

When I started dating one of the things that kept popping up was people in ENM (ethical non-monogamous) relationships

I have no direct experience of either non-monogamy or even recent dating, but it does seem to be on the rise.  I’m not surprised.  Religion is certainly losing its hold on people and there’s no doubt that the christian insistence on lifelong monogamy within marriage goes against how we as men and women evolved.  Many people are happy to be with one partner for many years, but at an earlier or later stage in life the same people may not be.  I see young christians cause themselves a lot of problems by marrying as soon as they are out of school, before their brains have even finished developing, all to avoid the dreaded sexual sin.  Is it any wonder that pastors etc are so often caught in scandalous affairs.  Maybe if they had allowed themselves to be sexually active in their youth they would not have so many frustrations or feelings of missed opportunities, which leads to so much trouble as men of the cloth when they finally act out on natural desires.  Or they would have admitted that they were not the marrying types.  Sadly christianity doesn’t allow that. 

I have to get going this morning, so I’ll leave it here for now.  You know I wish you the very best.  Keep us posted on the job front, but the news is encouraging.  Remind yourself every day why you’re glad to be deconverted.  I’m glad to count you as a friend and glad that you’re part of this community.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Super Moderator

I ordered the majority of my wives from online catalogues, so I don't have much dating experience at all.  I can tell you, from personal experience, that if you get a defective one, send it back while it's still under warranty.  If I'd have done that with my ex, it'd have saved me a lot of heartache.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I ordered the majority of my wives from online catalogues, so I don't have much dating experience at all.  I can tell you, from personal experience, that if you get a defective one, send it back while it's still under warranty.  If I'd have done that with my ex, it'd have saved me a lot of heartache.

If ya don't mind, how about sending me URL or the number for the mail order catalogue. Lmao 🤣 

DB

• Super Moderator
11 minutes ago, DarkBishop said:

If ya don't mind, how about sending me URL or the number for the mail order catalogue. Lmao 🤣 

DB

I'll DM it to ya.  I'd also suggest thinking long and hard before paying extra for the "English-speaking upgrade."

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TABA said:

Is it any wonder that pastors etc are so often caught in scandalous affairs.  Maybe if they had allowed themselves to be sexually active in their youth they would not have so many frustrations or feelings of missed opportunities, which leads to so much trouble as men of the cloth when they finally act out on natural desires.

And here we go again.  Unable to have sex with consenting adults without offending God, he molests boys entrusted to his care instead…

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-68313792

9 hours ago, TABA said:

But I also sometimes feel that our religious differences could be a ticking time bomb of sorts.   

Not necessarily so.  Some people are willing to live and let live.  The problem comes when people hang everything on a rigid belief, or try in different ways to control the other person.  I was concered about my marriage when deconverting, and discussed it with my wife.  She said she was disappointed in me, but did not marry me simply because of our common religion.  It was, and still is an slight aggravation with her, but she has leaned futher in my direction in the 30 years since.  

To achieve the ideal American "marriage", I believe the secret to a long term relationship is to really know the other person, and yourself, and each person having similar expectations in life.    Not just going on what they/you say they are, or want to be.   Past character and temperments, including familes, are usually the best determiners of what will be in the future.

Insight, honesty, and a thorough understanding and agreement of future expectations is needed.   And accepting each other as is.   NOT THE FEELINGS AND CRAVINGS FOR HAVING SOMEONE ELSE MAKE YOU WHOLE.   

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, TABA said:

And here we go again.  Unable to have sex with consenting adults without offending God, he molests boys entrusted to his care instead…

I hate to burst your balloon, but it is more complicated than just that.  😁

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

I hate to burst your balloon, but it is more complicated than just that.  😁

How so?

1 hour ago, Weezer said:

Not necessarily so.  Some people are willing to live and let live.  The problem comes when people hang everything on a rigid belief, or try in different ways to control the other person.  I was concered about my marriage when deconverting, and discussed it with my wife.  She said she was disappointed in me, but did not marry me simply because of our common religion.  It was, and still is an slight aggravation with her, but she has leaned futher in my direction in the 30 years since

Thank you, @Weezer!  This is very helpful and encouraging.  I hope to have a similar experience to yours and I do think that early indications are encouraging (I came out to my wife as a non-believer in 2017).  Thank you again for sharing your experience and your wisdom!

3 hours ago, TABA said:

How so?

Just being able to have sex when he wants to, would not fix the pastor's problem.  I did not read the link DB posted, but assumed the boys were underaged.   That is rape.  Any form of rape is not just for sexual "release".  They could do that through masterbation.   It is regarded as a "control", or perhaps a revenge issue.  A large percent (75%?) of rapist were sexually abused as children.  And a lot of extramarital sex is ego driven.  To be able to seduce someone "proves" (in their own mind) that they "still have it", and helps them get their jolllies.  And in some cases it is due to a person being starved for affection and nurturing.  And in societies where it is a no-no, it can be the "adolescent" challenge and thrill of getting away with something they weren't supposed to do.  There are a lot of motivations for sex in addition to the natural attraction that perpetutes the species, but beware the side issues that can cause problems.  Some simple due to te society you live in.

Sex in our society is an extremely complex issue.  But healthy sex does not violate peoples boundries, or create health issues, or unwanted children.  And the children part of it is a whole other issue!

• Like 1