Goodbye Jesus

Greetings everyone I am new to Ex Christian community. I'm an Atheist ⚛️

hdaniel992

Greetings everyone for those of you that don't know me I'm Daniel Matthew Hurst and I left the Christian Faith off and on about 8 years ago and became an Atheist ⚛️ and I'm new to this group so I hope to learn life either as an Atheist ⚛️ or a Polytheist 💟 My beliefs change quite a bit but I need to stick with one name to go by but it won't be Christian Faith anymore

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hdaniel992 said:

Greetings everyone for those of you that don't know me I'm Daniel Matthew Hurst and I left the Christian Faith off and on about 8 years ago and became an Atheist ⚛️ and I'm new to this group so I hope to learn life either as an Atheist ⚛️ or a Polytheist 💟 My beliefs change quite a bit but I need to stick with one name to go by but it won't be Christian Faith anymore

Greetings Daniel,

Welcome to ExC we are happy to have you on the site. Hopefully you can find what you are looking for here and commute with people of like minds. 

Have you ever considered just going with Agnostic? I personally use Agnostic to make it simple for people I'm talking to. But I prefer Agnostic/non-theist. I do believe in a creator deity/deities that I only label as "The Grand Architect". For all I know that could be one being or multiple beings working together. And I have no desire to practice any theology in existence. Therefore, "Agnostic/Non-theist". 

And with that label you can switch back and forth all ya want. Truly, if some supernatural or even natural force we could physically meet is out there. How can we know anything about it? Male? Female? One God? Triune God? A pantheon of multiple gods? Hell, I don't know. 

The one thing I do know though is that the Bible is BULLSHIT! So that's out lmao 🤣 

Best regards,

Dark Bishop

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Super Moderator
5 hours ago, hdaniel992 said:

I hope to learn life...

Do this first, without trying to label yourself as anything in particular.  It may seem easier to define yourself first and then try to live up to that definition; but it's much more meaningful and beneficial to begin by discovering your Self and then you will be able to more accurately describe what you have discovered.  You can be anything you want; but you'll be happiest just being your Self, once you find out who that is, of course.

• Like 3

Hello!  There is a wealth of information here to help you decide what you are.  

The professor makes a good point. Find yourself first. Some day you'll wake up from a good night's sleep and you'll have one of those "Ah-ha" moments and then you'll know. Just relax and let it come to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Daniel!  Welcome to the ex-christian community!  These forums are chock-full of good information about living life after deconverting and I hope you will find useful information. Feel free to ask whatever questions you may have.  We are here to help.

On 2/17/2024 at 3:32 PM, hdaniel992 said:

I hope to learn life either as an Atheist ⚛️ or a Polytheist 💟 My beliefs change quite a bit but I need to stick with one name to go by

If your beliefs are in flux then it’s probably premature to try and settle on a label.  Atheist and Polytheist are quite different.  Maybe you will end up being one of those, maybe not.  I kinda like @DarkBishop’s suggestion of using the term “agnostic”, which basically means “don’t know”.   It’s Ok not to know.  And it’s good to be an ex-christian, so I’m glad you came here and I look forward to hearing more from you.  Maybe if and when you’re ready you can tell us about your time as a Christian and how you came to leave the faith.  

Welcome!

• Like 3

On 2/18/2024 at 9:32 AM, hdaniel992 said:

Hi Daniel and welcome to Ex-C

There is certainly plenty to learn, and many good members here to learn from - some have been here a long time :) 

Regarding this line: "My beliefs change quite a bit but I need to stick with one name to go by but it won't be Christian Faith anymore" - I do not see why this is necessarily the case. You may decided multiple labels fit you better, or no label at all. So long as they aren't mutually exclusive (like you are a theist atheist :D )you'll be fine. If someone asks I'm agnostic atheist and what I mean by that is that I do not absolutely know there are no gods, but I don't believe any exist.

Humans tend to create labels so we can fit everything into nice little boxes to make things easier to categorize and understand, by life and reality is messy and doesn't necessarily fit into boxes or labels.

All the best

LF

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
1 hour ago, LogicalFallacy said:

So long as they aren't mutually exclusive (like you are a theist atheist :D )you'll be fine.

So, if I know that I don't know, wouldn't I, by definition, be a gnostic agnostic?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, LogicalFallacy said:

Humans tend to create labels so we can fit everything into nice little boxes to make things easier to categorize and understand, by life and reality is messy and doesn't necessarily fit into boxes or labels.

Amen, brother!

On 2/22/2024 at 2:15 PM, TheRedneckProfessor said:

So, if I know that I don't know, wouldn't I, by definition, be a gnostic agnostic?

I suppose being a gnostic agnostic is not mutually exclusive at the surface level it would seem. You can know that you don't know.

So am I then a gnostic agnostic atheist? That is I know that I don't know that no gods exist, but I don't believe any do. 

However being a theistic atheist would be mutually exclusive... you believe some gods exist but don't believe any gods exist? 

Fascinating things to ruminate on when one is bored at work lol