Goodbye Jesus

Super Columbine Massacre Rpg

Padreko

I read about this game on cnn a couple days ago and I thought it was really interesting that people would get together to make a game about that horrible event. MY friend thinks its bad that they made this game, but I can't see a difference between this and any other video game that reinacts wars(battle field 1942, medal of honor allied assult) that resulted in the deaths of millions of people. I feel like its the same. I think what happened at columbine was truely horrible, just like what happened on september 11th. I understand how people can get upset with something like this because it hits home more so than those other games. What do you gyus think? This game is apparently really popular; the manager of the website took the file down because too many people wanted to download it. (8,000 downloads x 23 megabytes). I managed to find it on rapidshare.de and intend to try it out of pure curiosity. What are your thoughts? Please don't flame..

I think that everything becomes fair game, no pun intended, at some point. I mean, I saw an episode of Family Guy wherein Peter was a part of a barber shop quartet explaining to a patient in a lengthy and upbeat song that he had AIDS. People make light of rape frequently, cancer victims are the butt of many jokes, and the holocaust is often lampooned. It's been about 8 years since the Columbine tragedy, and it's impact is really only still meaningful to those who directly experienced it. The rest of us were shocked for a moment, but it didn't register as real to us at any point. That's how we can do things like this, no matter how tasteless it may seem.

Ah, but WWII can be justified, at least to a far greater extent than Columbine could.

Also, in a WWII game, even though it may have been part of the real-life battle, you're never shooting or killing civilians or planting bombs in the farmhouses of uninvolved peasants. In Columbine, you're shooting innocent bystanders.

I can get jokes and asides about it, but I really don't think a video game emulating it would be appropriate.

It's clearly a sick idea. This game isn't like a war game; the subject matter is not war against an enemy, but rather mass-murder of innocents. There's nothing similar about this to a war game, and only proves what we've known for eons; sick people make sick things.

Yes, I figure the same people making and/or buying this game are going to be the same kind of people who frequent websites showcasing photos of gruesome car accident victims and videos of beheadings.

IMHO RPGs are stories. People deal with things via stories. Stories help us tie tragedy up in neater bundles so it is easier to carry around.

Either it's all ok, or none of it is. That's how I view entertainment and humour.

We have games where people murder others en mass. It's no different. Just because the subject matter doesn't take place in space doesn't mean that it's suddenly "worse".

Anyone here see the movie "Elephant"?

Great movie about columbine. I don't know if it was suposed to be comlumbine specifically, or just colubine like, but great movie. Really captures the feel of a business as usual day, following people's interactions as the day progressed, until suddenly oh shit they got guns....

IMHO RPGs are stories. People deal with things via stories. Stories help us tie tragedy up in neater bundles so it is easier to carry around.

Bullshit - this is sick and clearly meant to be. The fucks who play this are the same kind of sociopaths who carried out the original massacre and it has nothing to do with processing tragedy. God I hope I die soon, what a fucked-up world.

bdp

I read about this game on cnn a couple days ago and I thought it was really interesting that people would get together to make a game about that horrible event. MY friend thinks its bad that they made this game, but I can't see a difference between this and any other video game that reinacts wars(battle field 1942, medal of honor allied assult) that resulted in the deaths of millions of people. I feel like its the same. I think what happened at columbine was truely horrible, just like what happened on september 11th. I understand how people can get upset with something like this because it hits home more so than those other games. What do you gyus think? This game is apparently really popular; the manager of the website took the file down because too many people wanted to download it. (8,000 downloads x 23 megabytes). I managed to find it on rapidshare.de and intend to try it out of pure curiosity. What are your thoughts? Please don't flame..

oooooo where can I get me a download of that?

:D

Great movie about columbine. I don't know if it was suposed to be comlumbine specifically, or just colubine like, but great movie. Really captures the feel of a business as usual day, following people's interactions as the day progressed, until suddenly oh shit they got guns....

Elephant is an awesome movie.

I don't understand the hullabaloo about a game about Columbine. After all, in video games the innocent (read: easy) targets are usually the funnest to hit. Grand Theft Auto was not about the driving; it was about hitting pedestrians. Or how about attacking the scientists in Half-Life with the crowbar? (I was disappointed that you couldn't hurt allies in HL2.) The fact that the game is based on actual events is irrelevant in my opinion. I agree with Asimov: it's all okay or none of it is.

I don't understand the hullabaloo about a game about Columbine. After all, in video games the innocent (read: easy) targets are usually the funnest to hit. Grand Theft Auto was not about the driving; it was about hitting pedestrians. Or how about attacking the scientists in Half-Life with the crowbar? (I was disappointed that you couldn't hurt allies in HL2.) The fact that the game is based on actual events is irrelevant in my opinion. I agree with Asimov: it's all okay or none of it is.

...what a god-damned piece of shit fucked up world. I am going to go vomit now.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

As far as I'm concerned if someone wants to make a game where you get to be a Catholic Priest and finger the butthole of a 9 year old boy that is perfectly fine with me. We're talking about thought crimes here, people. In my universe, you get to think any goddamned thing you want to as long as you don't reach out and touch anyone. Why should anyone care? Unless, of course, Crusty Confirmation 5 (with kung fu grip) winds up in your kid's backpack the next time the gestapo orders a locker raid.

As far as I'm concerned if someone wants to make a game where you get to be a Catholic Priest and finger the butthole of a 9 year old boy that is perfectly fine with me. We're talking about thought crimes here, people. In my universe, you get to think any goddamned thing you want to as long as you don't reach out and touch anyone. Why should anyone care? Unless, of course, Crusty Confirmation 5 (with kung fu grip) winds up in your kid's backpack the next time the gestapo orders a locker raid.

I hear that. People confuse thought with action too often on these matters. (This isn't the Catholic church) I don't think any topic is untouchable. With no God, nothing is sacred, so everything is fair game. It's not as though the game is being sold. It's a stupid internet thing. Society isn't horrible because of what some bored teenager made and posted on the internet.

I was looking through the internet and found the website.....

http://www.columbinegame.com/

It also has a discussion board to talk about the game.

Personally, I can not see anything good about this game. It glorifies the event that occured and the individuals that initiated it IMO. I think it is twisted and sick.

Yes, I figure the same people making and/or buying this game are going to be the same kind of people who frequent websites showcasing photos of gruesome car accident victims and videos of beheadings.

When I was in school, one of my classmate got a VCD called death. He was watching it in school during break time and few of the younger students too watched it out of curiosity. One of the girl puked at one of the shot where they were showing a man's being cut off.

It was so gross man.

Yup I saw it. It was really beautifully done, especially the part where we follow each character's life. I highly recommend it for others.

Bullshit - this is sick and clearly meant to be. The fucks who play this are the same kind of sociopaths who carried out the original massacre and it has nothing to do with processing tragedy. God I hope I die soon, what a fucked-up world.

bdp

I totally resent that comment: Its the secular equivalent of "you're a sick fuck and going to hell". I'm not a sick sociopath cause I wanted to try the game. BAsturd :-P

speaking of which if you want to check it out:

http://rapidshare.de/files/20704452/ColumbineRPG.zip.html

"Please consider this when posting; this game was created with a sincere intention to understand the shooting from an internalized perspective."

This was a quote from the site admin... However, that is open to interpretation.

Actually I agree with asimov - all or nothing... Having played all the gory grusom games the video game industry has had to offer this is just a speck of dust on the floor.

bdp

Dude, that's absolutely not true. The fucks who play this are not sociopaths, or they'd do it in real life instead of in a video game. How is this different than Quake? Unreal Tournament? Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? FEAR? Resident Evil? Grand Theft Auto? How about movies?

Are those under your same standard as sick?

How is it a fucked up world?

You can wish for your own quick death because of a video game if you want, but I think that's goin a little too far.

Dude, that's absolutely not true. The fucks who play this are not sociopaths, or they'd do it in real life instead of in a video game. How is this different than Quake? Unreal Tournament? Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? FEAR? Resident Evil? Grand Theft Auto? How about movies?

Asimov do you play quake 4(if so do you play ra4?)? And what are some other games do you currently play?

I don't see what's so sick about busting up polygons, or throwing particle effects around on the screen. I honestly don't see game programmers as thinking, "I hate these people so much I'm going to write an entire game with highly involved mathematical constructs, well-drawn or procedural textures, a NURBS system, MIP mapping, a complete physics model, and 3d positional audio just to show them what assholes they are". There was a market there, and they tapped into it.

Street fighter and MK had the same stigma associated with them, but with 40% of the people in the US having played games and a good chunk of them playing violent games, yet an overall decrease on crime, I really don't see the effect.

Perhaps we should question why the market exists, don't you think? I'd be willing to bet that most of these games serve as a great outlet for people who are frustrated with the school system. I mean, look at them -they're becoming more and more like jails as time goes on. Add to that the social pressures and outright cruelty of teenagers towards each other. Isn't this a clear message that parents and faculty need to stop to consider that maybe students have a god damn point?

I think our generation might end up making the greatest changes to the way our system operates. Looking at the popularity of movies such as the Matrix and V for Vendetta, observing the effects first-hand of the hippie generation first promoting drug use and then selling out later to shove hypocrisy down our throats, with real estate and education becoming increasingly unaffordable to us, taxes saddling our smaller generation with increasing debt (while we make less and less); I think we're going to take a look around and discover what it's brought us, our generation-S (S for screwed). Face it -our parents fucked up big time, and our grandparents even moreso (they are running the show, and are completely out-of-touch with reality); the question is how much more will they fuck it up before we get ahold of it? Will we fix it? I hope that one day we'll make you proud -or maybe we'll withdrawal into the new universes we've created for ourselves. I think our promise is one of revolution -this is entirely American.

I've been playing games like this for years (not so directed at one group though), and I don't have any sociopathic disorders. I even have a 12-gauge and a .22 in my closet. I don't feel the need to go around shooting people.

Anyone who's going to be convinced by a kind of media to do abhorrent things already has deep-seated problems.

Asimov do you play quake 4(if so do you play ra4?)? And what are some other games do you currently play?

I haven't played quake, but I've played all those other games. I also enjoy Final Fantasy (the series), Mario, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart...I'm a big nintendo fan.

Final Fantasy is the shit. Which one did you start with? I started with #4(it was released as 2), before it was cool to play RPG's.

If you feel any connection to the tragedy at all, then of course it's sick and twisted. But so what? Eminem writes lyrics like "Skibbity bebop uh Christopher Reeves, Sunny Bono skies horses and hittin' some trees, hey! How many retards'll listen to me, and run up in the school shootin' when they're pissed at a teach--er her, him, is it you, is it them? 'Wasn't me, Slim Shady said to do it again.'"

Or this one: "I'll grab 9 kids from C---(even the explicit version censors the word), stand em' all in line, add and Ak 47, a revolver, a nine. A mack 11 and it ought to solve a problem of mine, and that's a whole school full of bullies shot up all at one time. *gunfire in the background*

I'll bet some former Columbine students are among his fans even after that and other lyrics mentioning it. The point is, basically that political correctness is not a right, and the only thing we can really expect is for these people to not go straight up to the victims and those closely involved and throw it out there. It's the difference between saying 'god hates fags', and going to a soldier's funeral and saying 'god hates fags', ya'mean?

I don't know - this one hits a bit of a raw nerve. I understand the need for freedom of expression and have no desire for Thought Police, but I still find the content of this RPG offensive. Columbine was a horrific tragedy (so was WWII for that matter). Why would someone want to relive it from the shooter's perspective?

Ryan said, "With no God, nothing is sacred, so everything is fair game." Alright, but with no God, then it is entirely up to us to figure out how to make the world a better place. How do first person shooter games like this help us do that? I'm not saying that I have the answers to global peace, but I do wonder a lot about how to get a little bit closer to it and this sort of game represents the opposite of the ideals I strive for.

Everyone's values are different. This game, aside from it probably being poorly made compared to what's out there now, will never have the type of success it aims for, because most of us are disinclined to jump into that experience, because of the subject.

On the other hand, what if someone made an RPG, that just happened to involve a school shooting? Not Columbine related at all, or even centering around that part of the game. What would happen then?

I don't know - this one hits a bit of a raw nerve. I understand the need for freedom of expression and have no desire for Thought Police, but I still find the content of this RPG offensive. Columbine was a horrific tragedy (so was WWII for that matter). Why would someone want to relive it from the shooter's perspective?

Ryan said, "With no God, nothing is sacred, so everything is fair game." Alright, but with no God, then it is entirely up to us to figure out how to make the world a better place. How do first person shooter games like this help us do that? I'm not saying that I have the answers to global peace, but I do wonder a lot about how to get a little bit closer to it and this sort of game represents the opposite of the ideals I strive for.

I was talking about what Asimov said earlier about humor and entertainment. I think you should be able to say, think, and make fun of whatever you want. I don't see how making a game about a "sensitive subject" makes this world a worse place to live in. Being able to make light of something or handle it in an insensitive way does not condone the violence. For that matter, violence is a fact of life. Without God, we're just animals with extremely high opinions of ourselves, right?

We're talking about thoughts, words, and games here. George Carlin put it very well: they mean nothing bad in and of themselves; it's the context and intent that makes them "bad."