Goodbye Jesus

Super Columbine Massacre Rpg

Padreko

I don't know - this one hits a bit of a raw nerve. I understand the need for freedom of expression and have no desire for Thought Police, but I still find the content of this RPG offensive. Columbine was a horrific tragedy (so was WWII for that matter). Why would someone want to relive it from the shooter's perspective?

Ryan said, "With no God, nothing is sacred, so everything is fair game." Alright, but with no God, then it is entirely up to us to figure out how to make the world a better place. How do first person shooter games like this help us do that? I'm not saying that I have the answers to global peace, but I do wonder a lot about how to get a little bit closer to it and this sort of game represents the opposite of the ideals I strive for.

I say forget about the second part -how you are offended- and try to come up with an answer to your first question.

I simply don't get what made Columbine so specifically tragic compared to all the other school shootings that happen in the US (It being in the 'burbs as opposed to a rough neighborhood I'm sure has something to do with it). I seriously think it's because of the obsessive media coverage and the walking on egg shells attitude that surrounded it and still surrounds it. It's called the Columbine massacre. Fifteen people being killed is sad, but it's not a massacre.

I simply don't get what made Columbine so specifically tragic compared to all the other school shootings that happen in the US (It being in the 'burbs as opposed to a rough neighborhood I'm sure has something to do with it). I seriously think it's because of the obsessive media coverage and the walking on egg shells attitude that surrounded it and still surrounds it. It's called the Columbine massacre. Fifteen people being killed is sad, but it's not a massacre.

Granted Columbine got a lot of media attention, though I remember it mostly because it was a precursor to what happened a week later in Taber, Alberta (another school shooting a few hundred kms from where I lived). I guess Columbine is a symbol of broken innocence and that is why it tends to stand out.

That being said, it is not different than other school shootings and other massacres. All of those events (as well other events where harm is done to other humans or the planet) are our failings as a human race, unless of course we are destined forever to be nothing more than animals, in which case I guess its just our nature and lot in life. I suppose I choose to believe that we can be something better and so for me this issue comes down to ideals which in turn become the building blocks of human societies. What do these sort of games inspire us to become? What obstacles do they challenge us to learn how to overcome?

Still, I think these sort of things are symptoms of larger societal issues (so banning a game like this does nothing - another will just pop up in its place). I like what jjacksonRIAB wrote:

Perhaps we should question why the market exists, don't you think? I'd be willing to bet that most of these games serve as a great outlet for people who are frustrated with the school system. I mean, look at them -they're becoming more and more like jails as time goes on. Add to that the social pressures and outright cruelty of teenagers towards each other. Isn't this a clear message that parents and faculty need to stop to consider that maybe students have a god damn point?

I think our generation might end up making the greatest changes to the way our system operates. Looking at the popularity of movies such as the Matrix and V for Vendetta, observing the effects first-hand of the hippie generation first promoting drug use and then selling out later to shove hypocrisy down our throats, with real estate and education becoming increasingly unaffordable to us, taxes saddling our smaller generation with increasing debt (while we make less and less); I think we're going to take a look around and discover what it's brought us, our generation-S (S for screwed). Face it -our parents fucked up big time, and our grandparents even moreso (they are running the show, and are completely out-of-touch with reality); the question is how much more will they fuck it up before we get ahold of it? Will we fix it? I hope that one day we'll make you proud -or maybe we'll withdrawal into the new universes we've created for ourselves. I think our promise is one of revolution -this is entirely American.

So what happens to the world as we take hold ot it? Will we fuck it up or do something with the opportunity?

I don't know - this one hits a bit of a raw nerve. I understand the need for freedom of expression and have no desire for Thought Police, but I still find the content of this RPG offensive. Columbine was a horrific tragedy (so was WWII for that matter). Why would someone want to relive it from the shooter's perspective?

Ryan said, "With no God, nothing is sacred, so everything is fair game." Alright, but with no God, then it is entirely up to us to figure out how to make the world a better place. How do first person shooter games like this help us do that? I'm not saying that I have the answers to global peace, but I do wonder a lot about how to get a little bit closer to it and this sort of game represents the opposite of the ideals I strive for.

From a social perspective, Ryan's quote is philosophically flawed. The physical act of terminating someone's life unwillingly is not fair. And no offense to you ex-pastor, but "making the world a better place" is a pretentious, begiling, obstentatious, maniacal, bunch of horse apples. When I hear that phrase I feel like someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. We don't make the world a better place. All we do(most people who say that imo) show some kindness and understanding to people and "HOPE" that they return the favor. Making a video game does not cause the world to be worse off. If you really want to make the world a better place, spend your life searching for the cure for aids or some other horrible disease. Come up with a solution to overpopulation. Find a way to stop hunger for poor countries. Find the magic potion to long gevity. Be a foster parent. Help get bush kicked out of office for war crimes. <---hehehe

Little individual atruistic acts don't make the "world" a better place. But they do make you a better person.

From a social perspective, Ryan's quote is philosophically flawed. The physical act of terminating someone's life unwillingly is not fair. And no offense to you ex-pastor, but "making the world a better place" is a pretentious, begiling, obstentatious, maniacal, bunch of horse apples. When I hear that phrase I feel like someone is trying to pull the wool over my eyes. We don't make the world a better place. All we do(most people who say that imo) show some kindness and understanding to people and "HOPE" that they return the favor. Making a video game does not cause the world to be worse off. If you really want to make the world a better place, spend your life searching for the cure for aids or some other horrible disease. Come up with a solution to overpopulation. Find a way to stop hunger for poor countries. Find the magic potion to long gevity. Be a foster parent. Help get bush kicked out of office for war crimes. <---hehehe

Little individual atruistic acts don't make the "world" a better place. But they do make you a better person.

Once again, I wasn't talking about the killings themselves. I was refering to being able to joke about or handle sensitive issue in whatever way you want. Killing someone when you're life or other lives are in danger is wrong. I wasn't disputing that.

I think all the debate about whether or not its appropriate will have little effect on its existance. Taboo subjects always get dragged through the mud eventually.

First off, for shame on those going on about people buying the game. It's a free download (c'mon research people).

Second, I grabbed it and started playing it, figured may as well see what the fracas was all about. There are a few curious things about this game, not the least of which (and what may piss the most people off) is that it reminds us that Harris, and Kliebold(sp?) are human. That may be the scarriest thing, that this wasn't done by some monsters, but two humans. Its easier if they were really the sock-puppets that are presented by most of the pundits that commented on the events afterwards.

First part, yeah, that's a masacare, with a sort of dramatic commentary on what was going on. Nice soundtrack, despite all midi, including most of the bands maligned after the incident. It pays to keep in mind that you are playing one of the bad-guys here.

And there is a twist midway through.

*SPOILER WARNING*

Ok, midway through, the guys off themselves with a very graphic and stirring scene of photos that come after. Reminds you of something about the two who did this, namely that they were, indeed, human. Then there is a rather interesting romp through hell against a bunch of Doom demons, complete with the doom theme song. (and I will warn you that this section is hard). That's about as far as I have played.

*END SPOILERS*

Am I a sick fuck for playing the game and enjoying the gameplay, maybe. Do I care? Not really. Its a game, it may be in poor taste, but it is a different take on the events.

And nothing sells like people screaming about something, does it?

IMHO RPGs are stories. People deal with things via stories. Stories help us tie tragedy up in neater bundles so it is easier to carry around.

1. Bullshit - this is sick and clearly meant to be.

2. The fucks who play this are the same kind of sociopaths who carried out the original massacre and it has nothing to do with processing tragedy.

3. God I hope I die soon, what a fucked-up world.

bdp

Cool bdp,

It's good to get your anger right out in the open, it might help you live longer, :eek: oops.

1. Of course it is sick. When is human caused tragedy not sick?

2. Bit of black and white thinking, don't you think?

3. I thought prayers were not allowed here.

chef

First off, for shame on those going on about people buying the game. It's a free download (c'mon research people).

Profits don't have to be monetary.

Second, I grabbed it and started playing it, figured may as well see what the fracas was all about. There are a few curious things about this game, not the least of which (and what may piss the most people off) is that it reminds us that Harris, and Kliebold(sp?) are human. That may be the scarriest thing, that this wasn't done by some monsters, but two humans. Its easier if they were really the sock-puppets that are presented by most of the pundits that commented on the events afterwards.

Bravo, Blue Giant.

This is the sort of thing we don't want to face -- the bad guys are guys. Calling them sick fucks isn't any different then calling someone gook, or nigger, or whatever. Call them something and then you don't have to deal with what underlies the behavior. You can just exterminate them, either mentally, or in real life. In fact that would have been part of the process for these boys. You can bet they were eliminating their version of sick fucks, and then themselves so that the didn't have to live among them anymore.

I think our generation might end up making the greatest changes to the way our system operates. Looking at the popularity of movies such as the Matrix and V for Vendetta, observing the effects first-hand of the hippie generation first promoting drug use and then selling out later to shove hypocrisy down our throats, with real estate and education becoming increasingly unaffordable to us, taxes saddling our smaller generation with increasing debt (while we make less and less); I think we're going to take a look around and discover what it's brought us, our generation-S (S for screwed). Face it -our parents fucked up big time, and our grandparents even moreso (they are running the show, and are completely out-of-touch with reality); the question is how much more will they fuck it up before we get ahold of it? Will we fix it? I hope that one day we'll make you proud -or maybe we'll withdrawal into the new universes we've created for ourselves. I think our promise is one of revolution -this is entirely American.

:lmao:

I'm a member of one of these bad generations.

We said the same sorts of things you are saying,

Good luck with saving the world.

chef

PS: Don't trust anyone over 30

I know right... Yall are some basturds!

I'm a member of one of these bad generations.

We said the same sorts of things you are saying,

Good luck with saving the world.

chef

Oh you mean the 30+ year olds that are still living with their parents because they can't afford to live anywhere else?

Retirees are the richest segment of the population. Why are we giving them welfare?

Look around at who's running Congress, the house and the Presidency and tell me again that your generation wasn't out to "save the world" with some of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard - it's obvious they don't work. Anywhere.

And no, you didn't say the same things I'm saying. You said, more, more. We'll take over and demand more for ourselves and force our children to pay for it.

I'd gladly forfeit all of my SS money if I never had to pay it again. So if I'm saying the same things, then you and I are in agreement. The best way to "save the world" is to stop trying to "save the world". So I wish you the same luck, because look at where your generation's luck has gotten us so far.

<sarcasm> Thus the pendulum swings in reverse, old man ;-) <sarcasm>

Retirees are the richest segment of the population. Why are we giving them welfare?

Jeeze, I don't know. I'm still learning how to tie my shoes.

Jeeze, I don't know. I'm still learning how to tie my shoes.

You forget about the little bunny hole? :lmao:

Hey I know! Let's make a video game where we’re Islamic Fundamentalist terrorists and we fly planes we hijacked with pocket knives and box cutters into major symbols of the American way killing as many American infidels as possible! Wouldn't that be fun? We could threaten mothers with children in their laps on the airplanes. Slit a few babies’ throats. And if the bastards get too bold and try to stop us, we'll just fly the plane into the ground! We didn't achieve our goals, but what fun! Carnage of innocents! Hurray!

Or how about one where we get to be Nazis running concentration camps? We can see how many Jews we can kill by as many means as possible...starvation, gassing, firing squad, and good old fashioned brain bashing! FUNFUNFUN!

So obviously I'm being sarcastic here. I will agree that the guys who wrote the Columbine game have every right as a free American citizen to do so. However, they are sick fucks for doing it. Some things just shouldn't be touched. Human tragedies such as these are primary among them.

I love video games. I like the violent ones even. My newest infatuation is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter for the XBOX 360. I even liked the Grand Theft Auto games. Sure, it's sick to run over pedestrians, but it IS only a game AND it's not based on any specific TRUE occurrence. I get very sick of hearing the media touting it as FACT that these types of video games cause ANYONE to go on a murdering rampage in real life. If anything, they give people an outlet for their rage without going on a real life killing spree! I know I’ve come home in a foul mood and sat down to kill a few terrorists or Nazis or monsters in a violent video game and ended up feeling much better.

HOWEVER…making a video game based upon an actual tragedy in which you reenact the murders of REAL innocent people is just plain insensitive and SICK. Making a video game in which you go on a shooting spree in a HIGH SCHOOL, killing your fellow STUDENTS is absolutely DEMENTED and EVIL. Sure, you should have the RIGHT to make it, but SHOULD YOU MAKE IT? I vote no. I won’t stand in the way of you creating it, but I’d definitely never buy it if it were sold. I wouldn’t even download it to try it. Not because I’m “morally superior” to anyone either, so if you want to download the Columbine game, don’t get your panties in a bunch. I’m not judging you (okay, maybe I am), I’m just telling you my opinion. Of course, as my grandfather likes to tell me, opinions are like armpits. Everybody has a couple, and most of them stink.