Goodbye Jesus

Any Scandinavians/finnish Folk Around? Or Others?

pandora

Hi, Kastor!

I doubt it's important to many modern Finns, but to my grandpa, it was very important. I guess it was a way of giving cultural identity when he was growing up in Finland.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your responses.

I almost picked up a copy of the Kalevala a few years back. All Indo-European folk culture is very interesting to me, being that I of course descend from that particular racial group, and to me, awareness and appreciation for one's ethnic and cultural heritage is just one fact of a healthy self-image. One day, I'll re-order the Kalevala again, once I get through some of my current things.

I'm not Finnish, however. I am mostly Polish in background (I think) with Russian and German lineage to boast of also. But for me, exploring those backgrounds was a wonderful experience. If it weren't for me making the biggest mistake of my life and getting mixed up with my ex (and the resulting severe depression that followed which like a fimbulvintr killed off everything in my soul), I'd probably still have a lot of that original spirit left in me. But no matter - I'm on a possible road to reclaiming that magic, if I can. But learning to appreciate my ancestral culture and heritage was of immense benefit to me; learning to appreciate the beauty of what a person is goes a long way in building a good self-image, and had I not done that, I might have indeed flung myself out that third-story window in New Bedford.

Even today, it's still a wonderful thing. There's just something naturally envigorating in researching one's ancestral heritage and finding ways to appreciate that in one's life. It's one of the good things I took away from my time in the White Nationalist movement, that ability to learn to appreciate what I am and love it for that reason alone, and it has helped me to learn to appreciate all cultures and ethnicities, especially where the Abrahamic cults haven't ruined or perverted them.

I also abandoned Xianity for Asatru, now that pandy mentioned it. I needed the spiritual decompression chamber of Deism first, and I learned much during the time when I wholly subscribed to that one philosophy alone. Today, I can define my ancestral gods and follow the natural Heathen path of my forebears, enriched with the wisdom a reason-based outlook provided. Wisdom is the way of Odin, after all ;)