Goodbye Jesus

Atention All Bible Beaters!

Abiyoyo

Where in the Bible does it explain about adultery? Please explain all ye" scholars of the good book.

You mean where it gives a definition or what scriptures is it in?

You mean where it gives a definition or what scriptures is it in?

Yeah, I want some of these "wanta be scholars" to explain to me the actual tracings and structure basis around adultery and the historical value as layed out in the Bible. Its more of a challenge.

Where in the Bible does it explain about adultery? Please explain all ye" scholars of the good book.

Why? Are Planning a weekend with your neighbor's spouse?

I should think a good Christian fellow like yourself could manage his own bible study. Try bible gateway.

Sounds to me like someone is lookin' for a loophole. :HaHa:

I should think a good Christian fellow like yourself could manage his own bible study. Try bible gateway.

Im going through a divorce. My wife seemed to enjoy telling everyone that Im an adulterer now. I tried to reconcile the marriage, and she insists on divorce. I began to date someone else and got involved, and according to the the "congregation"; Im going to hell.

I just wanted some input from those here that are bible hoppers, or anyone else thats interested. I cant link a direct underline from the New testament to the Old with adultery, and its definition in regards to todays society.

It's mostly explained in the torah as far as definition goes. It's different from today's definition. When a married woman sleeps with a man she has commited adultery. When a man sleeps with someone elses wife he has stolen someones wife (property) so he has commited adultery.

I say it differs from today because if the husband sleeps around on the wife it isn't adultery. Many cases like when a man takes a wife as a spoil of war a requirement is that he shaves her head and slepts with her. If he doesn't like her he merely tosses her out. This is basically extramarital sex if the man is married. But the woman can't cry foul play on him.

Adultery is defined differently now so most follow todays definition.

This what you wanted?

Well, if you had sex with another woman or pursued a relationship with another woman while you were still married to your wife, in the Christian God's eyes, you committed adultery.

If the marriage was doomed to begin with and you had sex with someone else or pursued a relationship AFTER you knew the marriage was over, or after separation, in my opinion, you did not commit adultery. But Christians' views will be different on that... some think you need to be legally divorced, others that you need to be separated, and even others will think that you can never marry or have sex again since you have been married.

Well, if you had sex with another woman or pursued a relationship with another woman while you were still married to your wife, in the Christian God's eyes, you committed adultery.

If the marriage was doomed to begin with and you had sex with someone else or pursued a relationship AFTER you knew the marriage was over, or after separation, in my opinion, you did not commit adultery. But Christians' views will be different on that... some think you need to be legally divorced, others that you need to be separated, and even others will think that you can never marry or have sex again since you have been married.

I agree. My thing is that my wife claims that she doesnt want to work things out anymore because Ive committed adultery. I told her that according to Jesus, she is committing adultery for rejecting me before I started dating this woman, in still wanting a divorce. She had her mind set on divorce, even before this woman got involved.

I guess thats where my topic really is geared around. If adultery is a divine breaker, then who is able to even try. I mean, the divorce rate in America and the church is around 50%, so that would mean that we are all going to hell according to the Bible.

Okay, now I'm confused... could you explain exactly what happened? I am a little unclear.

This is just another area where IMO, the Bible has it wrong...

The following are quotes from posts by Anne Neiwirth on the Prodigy God of the Book Board Topic: Judaism, Subject Adultery?:

When you examine laws pertaining to sexual relationships, you have to examine them under Biblical law, and then under Rabbinic law, as the two are not the same. You will discover the inherent inequity in the laws, as things which hold for men do not hold for women. For example, according to biblical law, a man was permitted many wives, and also concubines (which one could equate with either mistresses or concubines). The only way a man could be an adulterer, under biblical law, was if he had relationships with a MARRIED women (i.e. another man's property). Relations with any unmarried women did not constitute adultery for a man. On the other hand, a married women was an adulteress if she had relations with any man not her husband. However, it seems that an adulterous woman was punished, and her husband was then forced to divorce her. An adulterous man, however, could remain married to his wife with impunity.

Since we are in a different culture now most want to try to sync up the jewish cultures rules with the morality of the christian society we know today. Since women have been given equal rights much of what we read in the bible is viewed differently. By today's standards you would be considered an adulterous man. Back in Moses' time you would merely be looking for another wife to add to your polygamous relationship.

The following are quotes from posts by Anne Neiwirth on the Prodigy God of the Book Board Topic: Judaism, Subject Adultery?:

When you examine laws pertaining to sexual relationships, you have to examine them under Biblical law, and then under Rabbinic law, as the two are not the same. You will discover the inherent inequity in the laws, as things which hold for men do not hold for women. For example, according to biblical law, a man was permitted many wives, and also concubines (which one could equate with either mistresses or concubines). The only way a man could be an adulterer, under biblical law, was if he had relationships with a MARRIED women (i.e. another man's property). Relations with any unmarried women did not constitute adultery for a man. On the other hand, a married women was an adulteress if she had relations with any man not her husband. However, it seems that an adulterous woman was punished, and her husband was then forced to divorce her. An adulterous man, however, could remain married to his wife with impunity.

Since we are in a different culture now most want to try to sync up the jewish cultures rules with the morality of the christian society we know today. Since women have been given equal rights much of what we read in the bible is viewed differently. By today's standards you would be considered an adulterous man. Back in Moses' time you would merely be looking for another wife to add to your polygamous relationship.

Yes, thats the thing I was hoping to hear. See, I havent committed adultery by the laws of this country. So, would God hold me in judgement for abiding in the law of my land.

Yes, thats the thing I was hoping to hear. See, I havent committed adultery by the laws of this country. So, would God hold me in judgement for abiding in the law of my land.
If your wife wants a divorce, there is no law and no God that is going to bring the "magic" back into your marriage. It's as good as over.

Like you stated above, it does sound like she had the idea of divorce stashed away for the "proper" time though.

Not completely. The protestant version of christianity comes from what the catholic church put together as christianity. By their views it is adultery. But then again they are translating it wrong.

Whatever the laws were in the past both judaism and christianity accept the present day definition of adultery to be law as of now. It's your choice how you choose to follow your faith. Do you want to go by the culture then, or adapt laws to present day morals. Your choice, your life, your religion.

If your wife wants a divorce, there is no law and no God that is going to bring the "magic" back into your marriage. It's as good as over.

Like you stated above, it does sound like she had the idea of divorce stashed away for the "proper" time though.

Yeah, thats what I more less meant. I know shes done with the marriage, but I just dont get this people that say they are the saints in the church and christians yet dont even know what their own Bible says.

So, she told you she wanted a divorce, you say okay, and then you seek a relationship (were you successful or not?) with another woman, your wife finds out, and is claiming that since you did this before you were legally divorced, you're going to hell?

Even if you didn't do it until after you got divorced, how would this justify sending you to hell? It is not some unforgivable sin, the way I understood it when I was a Christian. It was just a grave sin, worse than others... but one that that meant you would have to find a new church community if you were going to ever be respected again. The church I attended in high school treated recently divorced people like that... but if they came to the church already divorced, they welcomed them with open arms. They were hypocritical like that.

According to what Jesus supposedly said, adultery starts with the thoughts of it. So according to that, we all commit adultery, and some just acts on it, but the "sin" is just as much there with or without the act. So Yoyo, you didn't commit anymore adultery than everyone else in church that had an dirty thought now and then.

I guess you're seing some of the hypocracy we see in many Christians (not all ;) ). "He without sin cast the first stone." And I think your congregation just started throwing rocks at you, and they're not better people and don't have the right.

According to what Jesus supposedly said, adultery starts with the thoughts of it. So according to that, we all commit adultery, and some just acts on it, but the "sin" is just as much there with or without the act. So Yoyo, you didn't commit anymore adultery than everyone else in church that had an dirty thought now and then.

Oh yeah, there's that too... but the only people that used to say that were the Campus Crusade people and the really really conservative groups. My group wouldn't deny that noticing a pretty girl was a sin, but taking a second look. But that wasn't considered the same in serverity as adultery. :)

but I just dont get this people that say they are the saints in the church and christians yet dont even know what their own Bible says.
Welcome to the club, YoYo. :HaHa: We've seen this stuff since like -- the beginning of forever! :grin:

Well, let's face it...if you have looked at any woman in a lustful way you are guilty of adultery...correct?

I'll bring the marshmallows.

(I feel for you. I just went through a divorce)

I'll bring the marshmallows.

Mmmm. Marshmellows.

Sorry to hear about what you're going thru Yoyo. As with any verse in the bible it can be twisted to fit an already formed idea or opinion, and it's offered up as 'proof' people are right no matter what their stance is.

One could hold up the thought of an act is the same as actually doing the act and beat themselves unmercifully because of a random thought.

Another could over look the thought and never give it a tad bit attention, and dismiss it as the verse isn't to be taken literally or what have you and we are all human after all.

I'm sure both you and your wife have had discussions about what constitutes as adultery. It's a vow, and agreement you made together.

My own 2 cents about this is, allow your wife to feel what ever she feels without punishing her. For an example if she feels betrayed, No matter if she was, its how she sees it and that's what you have to deal with. If she already feels betrayed then you taking up a girlfriend just confirms the idea or feeling you don't really love her enough to stay in the marriage. Allow her to have her feelings what ever they may be and try to be understanding why she has them. If you want to continue with your wife, you'll have to prove it with out the girlfriend.

I wish you much luck Yoyo, but there is no magic verse in the bible, as the entire book is interpretations

I agree. My thing is that my wife claims that she doesnt want to work things out anymore because Ive committed adultery. I told her that according to Jesus, she is committing adultery for rejecting me before I started dating this woman, in still wanting a divorce. She had her mind set on divorce, even before this woman got involved.

I guess thats where my topic really is geared around. If adultery is a divine breaker, then who is able to even try. I mean, the divorce rate in America and the church is around 50%, so that would mean that we are all going to hell according to the Bible.

Oh dude, I'm going to respond before I've had a chance to read the rest of the posts. My heart breaks for you, going not only through the emotional turmoil of a divorce, but then layering all sorts of unclear theological morality guilt trip crap all over the top of everything already in your life! If Christianity is supposed to be so liberating, then why isn't it? Is this?

#1. The claim that she doesn't want to work things out anymore because you did _____, is a deflection of her own "Christian" guilt conscience unto you. She has to maintain an image of righteousness in the eyes of the Christians she associates with; thereby telling herself she isn’t to blame. It's bullshit. It's an excuse. She is doing this because she want's this and all the rest is her struggling with her own feelings of guilt imposed upon her by the religious/cultural system.

2. You're right, with 50% divorce rate and with the life/love killing verses of the bible forbidding remarriage after divorce, my only suggestion to you is to seriously reevaluate just how valid it is to believe that a book of ancient cultural values and mythologies of a desert people over 2000 years old, is some universal truth handed down from the heavenly skies to bind you into this implausible lifestyle today.

Trust me, it doesn't take much to peel back the skin of this system to see what it really is underneath. It is not the moral expectations of a god. It is the moral expections of a culuture using the name of God as a stamp of authority for it own exercise of control of a society. Today we have elected official who right laws, back then it was priests. Do all these old laws make sense in today's world? You answer that yourself.

To me believing it was not healthy for me. It just made a bad situation infinitely worse. Not until I shed myself of those unrealistic expectations in this evolved society you and I live in was I am to truly begin my healing process. My heart goes out to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the comments. I have read them all.

Guest Catholic

Im going through a divorce. My wife seemed to enjoy telling everyone that Im an adulterer now. I tried to reconcile the marriage, and she insists on divorce. I began to date someone else and got involved, and according to the the "congregation"; Im going to hell.

I just wanted some input from those here that are bible hoppers, or anyone else thats interested. I cant link a direct underline from the New testament to the Old with adultery, and its definition in regards to todays society.

you are in Adultry unless you get your marriage Annulled. no an annullment is not a divorce it is a decree recognizing that there was never a marriage to begin with. Marriage is a sacrament and cant be undone. Mal 2:14-16; 1 cor 7:10-11; mt5:32-33;mt19:4-9;mk10:11-12; LK 16:18.

NOW THATS A SHOCKER!!!! A CATHOLIC THAT KNOWS THE BIBLE!!!