Goodbye Jesus

Unobservable Dimensions

Totallyatpeace

I could choose IQ score, and say that the IQ score of a given individual is a logistic exponential growth function increasing with their distance from East Tennessee.

Except this example would be based on faulty reasoning.... from what I have been told (through testing, whatnot), I have a pretty darn high IQ... and I can't wait to move to eastern TN!!! (I plan to get my PhD at UTK and do a dynamic theatre ethnographical and musical survey of the region... but I want to buy a bunch of land in eastern TN and live there in the mountains the rest of my days, which should be at least 60-70 years! :Doh::lmao:

Except this example would be based on faulty reasoning....  from what I have been told (through testing, whatnot), I have a pretty darn high IQ... and I can't wait to move to eastern TN!!! (I plan to get my PhD at UTK and do a dynamic theatre ethnographical and musical survey of the region... but I want to buy a bunch of land in eastern TN and live there in the mountains the rest of my days, which should be at least 60-70 years!  :Doh:   :lmao:

Well, it was just a model... I didn't say it was true (though I assume you're still pretty far from UTK? You'll feel you're IQ dropping the closer you get...)

Um... dude... I don't know what to say. I'm stunned.

Thank you for the suggested books and links.......I find them an interesting suggestion considering the quote in my first post comes from a Christian author.

I guess I am a bit confused because a Christian may refer to the suggestion of other multiple dimensions as New-Age "junk". (not my wording--just making my point.)

But if scientists believe in other dimensions, then why is heaven or hell so unlikely a possibilty?  :scratch:

The difference is the approach, my dear.

The religious starts with a supposition "Heaven must exist", and when they hear about extra dimensions, "Oh that proves it, heaven must exist". If proven wrong, they still think there is a Heaven, but just somewhere else.

The scientist start with "There's no extra dimensions", and when someone suggests a theory about extra dimensions, the respond is "Let's look into what this means, can it be true or is it false". When proven false, they drop it, if proven true, they keep it.

Religion starts with accepting the unseen as truth without proof. And have a hard time changing their position.

Science starts with accepting the proven as truth until the new discoveries are made and change their position.

Religion is static, based on belief.

Science is dynamic, changes with new proofs.

Sure, there could mean there is a heaven and hell, but it also could mean that there is Zeus and Hades or any other religion. So hold your horses.

Personally I believe in these extra dimensions. I was into it way long ago while I was Christian. It’s not strange or unnatural, only something more we have to learn about the universe and how everything is hanging together.

There are dimensions and then there are dimensions.  I just got done with a big nasty calculus III class, so I've been dealing with plenty of mathematical dimensions.  Length, width, and height are obvious.  So is time.  But mathematicaly speaking, a dimension is an arbitrary choice- it can be anything.  I could choose IQ score, and say that the IQ score of a given individual is a logistic exponential growth function increasing with their distance from East Tennessee.  That would be a second dimension, with the first dimension being distance.  You could create a model where a dollar amound is assigned to any point withing three dimensional space, so that dollars are a function of X, Y, and Z coordinates.  I can't visualize five dimensions, but you could make temperature a function of X, Y, Z, and $ coordinates.

I mean... dimensions aren't neccesarily X-files material. 

So what exactly do we mean by dimensions here, and how exactly does that relate to heaven and hell?  Are we talking about something like a fifth dimension related to space/time?  (I think that's already been addressed)  Or some other sort of 'dimension'?

From what I understand, we are talking about extra spatial dimensions.

From which gravity, quantum leaps, twin particles and the duality of light can be explained.

They even talk about parallel universes, and “Brane Theory” (IIRC, from Membrane) instead of Big Bang.

It even could be the answer to infinite amount of energy and warp drive.

(I’m not kidding)

But it could be a while before we know how to deal with it.

Do you believe that there are many other dimensions?

I don't know. Maybe one, or a few. Heck, if scientists like Stephen Hawking think it's a possibility, I don't think we can rule it out. But it'll take years, possibly centuries, to delevop the technology to be able to access them. I don't think it'll happen anytime soon.