Goodbye Jesus

Heaven

nicoleeann

Yeah, yeah everyone wants to see their dead relatives and everything.

but I always thought it sounded kind of boring.......singing and being servants and such. I hate singing. and worship is evil to me.

Not to mention I don't think I would want to live in "perfect" place where everyone got along just perfectly.

Humor and jokes probably wouldn't exist because they are spawned off of imperfection. I also feel like it would be a huge step to jump from this world to perfection, almost like we don't deserve it quite yet. (and also don't deserve eternal hell for whatever "sins" we've done)

just a thought.

No. I never felt like that. More often than not, I bought into heaven. I read Revelations, the last part was always appealing. There's some verse in the bible, where it talks about how god has prepared things that no ear has heard or eye has seen. I honestly thought that Heaven was a great place, that would "work" and that it wouldn't be boring, to me it sounded cool, people getting along, knowing god sounded good to me.

My logic back then was that if we have cool technology, movies, books, culture, etc.. how much better would it be if we went to Heaven, where we could experience better things. Especially the things that god had made in Heaven and that we would have as "his children." I really bought into it.

I really took it all seriously back then. Now I don't believe in Heaven and Hell.

Then again I wasn't living my life for now, I was waiting for heaven to experience "the good life." Ugh.

Well, actually, for a time when I got involved with the Charasmatics, I couldn't wait to worship Jesus and sing his praises for eternity.

Now I look back at that and say, "How brainwashed was I?"

Sad.

However, there were times in my life when I did think that Heaven would be kind of boring. There is an excellent narrative on it in Mark Twain's book Letters from Earth. It's great- really puts it into perspective. Actually, the whole book really gives a very different view from which to view Christianity as a man made creation.

I used to look forward to the Xian Heaven, rationalizing it by thinking that of Gawd is good, then Heaven must be a great place. However, sometimes I used to be concerned that it was just mind-numbing praising of Yahooweh™ for all time, given the descriptions in Revelations about Heaven.

My best friend admitted to me while being a Christian that Heaven didn't sound all that great. Basically it was a glorified eternal sermon, and it sounded like a step above hell.

Certainly doesn't sound like fun to me. And there won't be an ocean there, which makes it suck even more.

Yeah, I was never quite sure how I was going to keep myself occupied for all of eternity. What would you think about?

I even heard a sermon where the preacher agreed with this concept. I just can't remember what his conclusion was.

Yeah, I was never quite sure how I was going to keep myself occupied for all of eternity. What would you think about?

You know, praising gawd praising gawd throwing crowns at gawd praising

gawd praising gawd throwing crowns at gawd......and because you'd be

a good, lobotomized little drone, this would be enough to entertain you.

I honestly don't know how spending eternity with a megalomaniacal entity

such as the christian gawd would constitute being in "heaven." Sounds

more like a form of hell to me. :shrug:

....where does it say that is all you will do in heaven? I've heard that kind of stuff but I don't know of any passages in the bible.

Yeah, the Idea of heaven never did anything to me, in fact, even at my most devout, I couldn't bring myself to completely believe in it.

I thought it be cool to be in heaven and fly around and stuff (why wouldn't God let me do it). But I just hated that everyone seemed to look forward to dying. They would talk about they can't wait to leave this evil world and join Jesus in heaven. I'm glad christians believe suicide is a sin or....

....where does it say that is all you will do in heaven? I've heard that kind of stuff but I don't know of any passages in the bible.

It's usually an extrapolation of Revelations 4, especially Revelations 4:10 and 4:11.

4:10 The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

The assumption that most modern-day fundygelicals make is that the four and twenty

elders represent the church, and in Revelations 4, we're supposedly getting a glimpse

of what's going on in heaven. So supposedly, the church is in heaven, constantly

throwing their crowns at gawd and praising him. Admittedly, you do have to run

these verses through the fundygelical exegeto-matic to get to this interpretation.

Guest cold_dark_water

Few years of inhabiting heaven would probably turn into hell anyway.

Boring isn't a good word... It would be torment. Not so much better than eternity in "hell", I suppose.

I was a sucker for the shit in Revelations. The stuff about heaven is toward the ends of Revelations, if you want to read it then try Revelations 20, 21, 22. You can read the bible for free at http://www.biblegateway.com

I admit, I never quite understood or looked forward to the christian version of heaven. When I was a little, I thought it was a kingdom in the clouds. Until I actually got into an airplane and got to look at the clouds from above. Then I thought being able to play on a cloud might be intersting for all of five minutes before it got really boring because there is NOTHING up there.

I still don't really have a concept of what heaven or the afterlife would be like, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm not even worried if there is no afterlife. Either one sounds relaxing.

I actually bought into heaven. I was much more progressive in my thinking though.

I always thought that god would have this activity itinerary that would keep us occupied for eternity.

But now that I think about it I would not want the Judeo Christian heaven. If I had to live with Bible God for all eternity that would be hell.

i grew up confused about heaven. i never bought into it cause i couldnt personally define it. heaven is supposed to be paradise where everyone can live happily and blah blah blah. how can we live all honky dorey in heaven if everyone has different needs/wants of personal happiness? paradise for me is playing loud music. will i be able to play loud music in heaven? wouldnt that conflict with someone else in heaven who doesnt like music? pretty much things would be like living on earth.

Well, actually, for a time when I got involved with the Charasmatics, I couldn't wait to worship Jesus and sing his praises for eternity.

Now I look back at that and say, "How brainwashed was I?"

Sad.

However, there were times in my life when I did think that Heaven would be kind of boring. There is an excellent narrative on it in Mark Twain's book Letters from Earth. It's great- really puts it into perspective. Actually, the whole book really gives a very different view from which to view Christianity as a man made creation.

I'm actually reading 'Letters From Earth.' It is a complete laugh riot and makes so much sense. :grin: lol

Mark Twain was great.

I always thought of Heaven as an everlasting church service (after all the crying and wailing over people who didn't make it and whose blood is on our heads). After all, all the Bible says about Heaven is that we will have mansions, but we will never cease to praise God. You know, after a few thousand years of singing and reciting scriptures, I might start to get a little bored...

My best friend admitted to me while being a Christian that Heaven didn't sound all that great. Basically it was a glorified eternal sermon, and it sounded like a step above hell.

Certainly doesn't sound like fun to me. And there won't be an ocean there, which makes it suck even more.

Sounds like the child who asked its mom after being told what heaven was like : "Gee mom, if I'm good will they let me out play sometimes?" :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mikey_C

Sounds like the child who asked its mom after being told what heaven was like : "Gee mom, if I'm good will they let me out play sometimes?" :)

I always belived we would praise God forever. I remember at the end of a really long 2 hour worship session the Pastor saying that "Just think, in Heaven this will go on forever". I had second thoughts right then. Standing there, hands in the air, babbling in tongues, singing songs - for a million years plus...? I'll pass.

I wondered if I would have computers in heaven, because I loved working on them so much. But other Christians claimed there wouldn't be any technology... that was the day I stopped thinking about Heaven anymore.

I was definitely not enthused about heaven as a xtian - nothing I read in the bible about the afterlife sounded very fun or interesting. You couldn't even be sure the people you loved would be there.

I secretly hoped there would be little nooks and rooms you could hide out in for a break from all the praising.

Fuck, how could I ever believe in such a stupid religion?

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

I would have begun with lasers, eight o'clock, day one. What's that,,,,,,, Benson? You wish to become a dog? Tough!

In marches Evil and his host of otherworldly beasts..

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu

Wow. I don't remember writing that last post. At least I didn't say anything offensive. Carry on.

Guest Hannah

As a christian i never really belivied in heaven - seemed too good to be true - i was interested in science etc - i was only a watered down liberal - typical UK style although attended church more than the average. The irony is that the discovery of fundamnelttism deconverted me and now i fear hell. Why do i fear hell if as a christian i never invested in heaven?!!!