Goodbye Jesus

Goth's Need To Suck It Up

Asimov

I, being a person who enjoys doing some research, decided to go to my favourite quick-reference website Wikipedia to check out something I've been wondering for awhile; what exactly are goths? Apparently:

The Goths were an East Germanic tribe who from the 2nd century settled Scythia, Dacia and Pannonia. In the 3rd and 4th centuries, they harried Byzantium and later adopted Arianism. In the 5th and 6th centuries, split into the Visigoths and the Ostrogoths, they established powerful follower-states of the Roman Empire in Iberia and Italy.

Clearly there seems to be some kind of conflict between these Visigoths and these Ostrogoths. What is the conflict? Why can't they get over it and just be friends? Why must we fight all the time?

Jesus Christ you guys, let's make the world a better place and stop fighting!!

You thought I was gonna post some scathing remarks about GOTHS, didn't you?

Haha, I'm so clever....

Perhaps next time you come across a "Goth" you could ask them, "So are you a Visigoth or an Ostrogoth?"

ROTFL, Asimov. :HaHa:

Haha! That was great. You got me on that one. ^_^

:lmao:

That being said, however, I do find Goths to be incredibly annoying.

:lmao:

That being said, however, I do find Goths to be incredibly annoying.

Yea, they are a bunch of weirdos. If my kid ever became a Goth I'd kick him.

We have a few goths at our school. Interesting people. Not the most attractive though. Why would anyone want to dress in black and be PO'ed all the time anyway? Some life...

If by "interesting", you mean "eager to sacrifice their own personalities in the name of applying a label to themselves", I agree.

Any fad based on whining, self-pity, and masochism deserves the shit it gets. There's nothing that ruffles my feathers more than when some Goth kid says, "I can't believe in God, because my life is so hard and miserable and God didn't lift me out of it." GRRRR!!!!! Remember, I don't have anything against atheists and atheism, but every time I hear that I just want to scream, "look, you live in a two-story heated and air conditioned house in suburban America, your mom is fully willing to pay for your Linkin Park CDs and piercings without requiring that you get a job and even puts up with you cussing her out every day, you eat fresh food, sleep in a warm bed, and are allowed to see your friends whenever you want - how dare you whine about how hard your life is, you ungrateful little shit!"

Well, I don't know about you guys, or if to you there's a recognizable difference between the two, but I'd rather hang out with a goth kid than an emo kid any day. Emos are even more self-loathing, whiny, pitiful introverts than goths are. Emos are like the younger siblings of goths who were beaten by them. That said, how many emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb? One, but he'll just sit crying in the dark anyway and write a song about it.

I go to the Hot Topic at the mall sometimes because they are the only place with band t-shirts in youth-medium (i am tiny) and not XXXL!! ... but that place is a breeding ground for goths. Normally I see emos in there these days, emos are like goth-lite I think?? I don't notice very many people my age dressing up like that. (early 20s). It's mostly 12-16 year olds whos parents drive them to the mall and drop them off. I guess they just stopped caring once they were legally able to buy alcohol.

But to be fair, I was a goth in high school. For about 5 minutes. I cycled through about every subculture there was at the time. Goth, "Punk" (I wrote my senior paper on Sid Vicious I am serious, I got an A+! ...), Prep, Nerd. Until I realized that none of it MEANT anything and I was wasting my money and time.

It's kind of sad. I used to really love vampires and vampire movies and everything vampires but I got kind of burnt out on them because the goth subculture just ruined it. Same with the movie The Crow. I was watching that movie way before the gawths put their morbid greasepainted little claws into it and sucked all the life right out of it. God damnit you would never have cared if Brandon Lee died if he hadn't been in that movie. You don't even know that he was in other movies. Gahh. Stop posing in front of his grave and putting the pictures on your internet profile you jackasses.

Ahem. Ok not all goths are bad. Some people just like dressing up funny or they like the look. I wear weird stuff sometimes, just not excessively (I actually HATE drawing attention to myself). I think more guys should dress up in victorian era attire actually. That is hot.

it seems like it would take a lot of extra time and energy to be a goth. plus i don't know how they wear black during the summer.

My kidlet is a reformed Goth. Yes, they do grow out of it, sooner rather than later. She still has one of the weirdest wardrobes on this planet (including some rather hungry-looking boots) but hasn't done the makeup thing since she was about fifteen.

My strategy was to go "Hey, cool!" "Going shopping, need any black lipstick?" and other subversive supportive gestures, rather than the typical parental "EekNotInMyHouseYouDon't" strategem.

"look, you live in a two-story heated and air conditioned house in suburban America, your mom is fully willing to pay for your Linkin Park CDs and piercings without requiring that you get a job and even puts up with you cussing her out every day, you eat fresh food, sleep in a warm bed, and are allowed to see your friends whenever you want - how dare you whine about how hard your life is, you ungrateful little shit!"

:lmao: Preach the sacred word, sister! That's usually how I feel about them. Just another pampered subculture that needs to take on a victimization mentality in order to give itself some gusto - like Xianity :Wendywhatever:

My strategy was to go "Hey, cool!" "Going shopping, need any black lipstick?" and other subversive supportive gestures, rather than the typical parental "EekNotInMyHouseYouDon't" strategem.

That's probably how I'd be about it. There's no better way to be a bad parent - or reinforce something really negative via the "forbidden fruit" effect - than to raise holy Hell™ about it. Unless it's something really dangerous or harmful, I'd probably be supportive to some degree, at least, and let the kiddies run through it. That stuff always passes, anyhow - and that strategem may make it pass quicker.

Personally, I dislike the Goth culture. Not all of it, but the basic dressing in black, being ass-fucking morbid all the time, and dressing like a total freak, as well as the phoney victimhood mentality and the depressiveness. Anything smacking of depressiveness I must avoid, since I am very prone to depression to begin with. The elegant gothy types are ok - my fiancee was one for a time, but not the makeup and gruesomeness, but rather it was a handy way to deal with her own sadness at the time. She still remained ladylike, and just tended towards dark colors and expressive music. That's fine by me. She didn't turn herself into a whiny freak, or else I'd have never found her remotely attractive.

And I will have to ask any Goths that talk to me if they're Visigothic or Ostrogothic. After all, if they're going to steal the name, might as well back it up :)

I go to the Hot Topic at the mall sometimes because they are the only place with band t-shirts in youth-medium (i am tiny) and not XXXL!! ... but that place is a breeding ground for goths. Normally I see emos in there these days, emos are like goth-lite I think?? I don't notice very many people my age dressing up like that. (early 20s). It's mostly 12-16 year olds whos parents drive them to the mall and drop them off. I guess they just stopped caring once they were legally able to buy alcohol.

Yeah, I have to admit, I shop at Hot Topic from time to time.....I do like some of the more intricate jewelry and Star Wars stuff and the more creative, Edwardian-style shirts and dresses, although they really haven't sold that many of those since the late 90's. It's one of the only places around the godawful suburbs where I can buy pants that aren't cut so low my ass crack hangs out of them and shirts that aren't decorated with little fake diamonds and need to be hand washed. But yeah, the emo element is growing faster than a televangelist's dick at a Mississippi whorehouse. But the Goths write more bad poetry.

Its just another group of kids in High School. Jocks, Nerds, Punks, Goths, Preps, etc. Most people grow out of it. Some, sadly do not. When I was a junior in High School I wore a black trenchcoat almost everyday and used Elmer's Glue to mold my hair up into big 4-inch spikes. :HaHa: I thought I was being "different", but I later realized that I was just trying to fit in with another group. :shrug:

Okay......if I were to have offspring, and the little grub decided to be "gothy" or "preppy" or whatever new word they come out for some brand of highly conformative dress and behavior......I think I'l be able to put a stop to it right away......

Just by arranging with my mate for both of us to be full on dressed in all that shit when the kid comes home from school. Then make the beloved offspring accompany us out in public...shopping or something.

Maybe that's too evil. Probably best I've never bred.

The whole 'Goth' thing was not around when I was in school. I am 40 and I was out of school when that phenomenon or fad came into vogue. Back when I was school it was 'punk.' Maybe some of you can correct me if I am wrong, but, as far as the popular 'Goth' thing in highschool and college is an outgrowth of the 'punk' thing from the 80's? It seems that there is always some group of kids at any time and they will try to stand out and be as a group, individual or exclusive. Either way, people eventually have to come to reality and get an education and then a job or some way of making a living. I don't consider it a big problem, certainly not to the extent of Christianity, Mormonism, Islam, or anyother religion.

It was just starting when I left high school back in the mid 90's. One real life friend of mine is a former goth. I hung out with the geek crowd in high school, so I never got into any of the goth stuff.

That's probably how I'd be about it. There's no better way to be a bad parent - or reinforce something really negative via the "forbidden fruit" effect - than to raise holy Hell about it. Unless it's something really dangerous or harmful, I'd probably be supportive to some degree, at least, and let the kiddies run through it. That stuff always passes, anyhow - and that strategem may make it pass quicker.

Yeah. Plus if you forbid kids from doing anything, they'll just want to do it even more.

Why do goths wear black around their eyes, draw on their face and paint it white. It looks ugly to me.

I joined a gothic forum my sister is on she's into the goth thing but they all seem like assholes attacking each other constantly who wants to do that in their spare time.

Young teen wannabe goths? Yes, they're fucking annoying.

The rest of us, who grew up and know better? Would like to punt kick the little fuckers for making us all look like assholes.

That's all. :thanks:

People think of me as goth, gay, deaf, devil worshipper, nerd, sporty guy, even skateboarder. They're wrong. I don't really identify with any of these cultures and cliques except for Deaf even then, it's a very very general culture.

I'm 16 and I'm in no cliques. The only culture I actually identify with and embrace is New Zealander Deaf, that's not a clique or a high school culture, it is an actual culture with its own language.

I'm probably one of the few people that didn't actually fit in any cliques but still is much respected and hated in school.

Goth? Never gave a shit about it, though there's a rebirth of goths and emos at my school.

:)

Sokudo Ningyou: Preach it! :thanks:

Yeah, some of us folks who are into the Gothic subculture aren't whiny little dorks, but have grown up and still prefer the romanticism of it. "Whiny teenage dork who always dresses in black and can't crack a smile" is typically dubbed BabyGoth, BabyBat or something similar. They're the ones who either aspire to be Morticia Addams or the Crow.

And yes, most BabyGoths do grow out of it. And not every Goth's a BabyGoth. Emo kids are FAR more annoying, any day. I'd rather deal with a BabyGoth, because there's a chance I could set them straight. ("It's only a uniform. You're not a goth if you just like to wear black and pout a lot. That outfit won't make you Goth anymore than wearing a yamaka will make you Jewish.")

The term "Goth" was also taken from the style of architecture, and the culture is a decendent of the New Romantics which was itself formed from punk. Goth was originally the more literary (and less combative) version of punk.

I like to wear red, black, blue but I never thought myself as a goth or emo.

It's all merely labels, anyway. I'm into music and fashions loved by Goths (especially Symphonic Metal and Classical), and have a love for Edgar Allen Poe, but I don't consider myself "Goth", really. I simply enjoy the culture and have assimilated some of it into my life, as it feels right to me. Also, attaching yourself to a label means you quickly end up stereotyped. Like this thread demonstrates.

Unfortunately, BabyGoths are the stereotype because they're the most visible. But they go out of their way to be visible and ooooo!spooookkkyyyy. Most of us that are not teenagers have careers to keep, so we dress in corporate-appropriate attire. With little flourishes of our own, if we can, that don't alienate others from us on the average working day.

If I were to label myself in the culture, I'd be a Weekend Goth ("only do it on the weekends, because damnit I've got bills to pay").

I'd recommend this page as a good article on the difference between the culture and the stereotype.

People think of me as goth, gay, deaf, devil worshipper, nerd, sporty guy, even skateboarder.

Aren't you deaf and gay though, sg?

Basicly on the gothic forum it's just flaming mostly anything anyone says ten other people call them names and start a flamewar. It's stupid too me.

here:http://www.vampirefreaks.com/forum/

Nothing but bitchfests their and insults what's wrong with those people look and tell me lol

Why do goths wear black around their eyes, draw on their face and paint it white. It looks ugly to me.

I joined a gothic forum my sister is on she's into the goth thing but they all seem like assholes attacking each other constantly who wants to do that in their spare time.

What do you mean attacking each other? Hell, in my day, the only really "out there" group was punkers and they just looked weird and slamdanced.