Goodbye Jesus

Christianity Is Not A Relgion

ironhorse

christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship,,,,,

don't you guys know that?

IT IS A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU N GOD

You beat me to it, pratt the brat.....woohoo.gif

Hug

God is not going to punish. He cares more about relationships than behavior.

This is refuted by the Bible time and again. IH is cutting and pasting outright lies.

• Like 1

Hmmm... Ironhorse is an out-and-out liar..?

I suppose that shouldn't come as such a surprise...  ...seeing as he's already shown himself to be a promise-breaking, untrustworthy, question-dodging troll.

Fyi, we DO care a lot about behavior, Ironhorse.

Yours in particular.

It reveals to us what your character is really like.

• Like 1

God is not going to punish. He cares more about relationships than behavior.

This is refuted by the Bible time and again. IH is cutting and pasting outright lies.

Correct!

My favorite example is Uzzah.  The Ark of the Covenant was about to fall over and spill.  Uzzah saved it from falling.  This angered the Lord God who killed him immedeately.  That is not a relationship.  That is being used by an emotionally-unstable psychopath.

1 Cron 13

• Like 1

What about the part where god made moses pull up his robe and bend over so god could spank his little hiney?

“Christianity is not a religion. Christianity is the proclamation of the end of religion, not of a new religion, or even of the best of all religions. …If the cross is the sign of anything, it’s the sign that God has gone out of the religion business and solved all of the world’s problems without requiring a single human being to do a single religious thing. The cross is a sign of the fact that religion can’t do a thing about the world’s problems – that it never did work and it never will…”

“Christianity is not a religion, it is the announcement of the end of religion. Religion consists of all the things (believing, behaving, worshipping, sacrificing) the human race has ever thought it had to do to get right with God.

About those things, Christianity has only two comments to make. The first is that none of them ever had the least chance of doing the trick: the blood of bulls and goats can never take away sins (see the Epistle of Hebrews) and no effort of ours to keep the law of God can ever succeed (see the Epistle of Romans).

The second is that everything religion tried (and failed) to do has been perfectly done, once and for all, by Jesus in his death and resurrection. For Christians, then, the entire religion shop has been closed, boarded up and forgotten.

The church is not in the religion business. It never has been and it never will be, in spite of all the ecclesiastical turkeys through two thousand years who have acted as if religion was their stock in trade. The church, instead, is in the Gospel-proclaiming business.

It is not here to bring the world the bad news that God will think kindly about us only after we have gone through certain creedal, liturgical, and ethical wickets; it is here to bring the world the Good News that ‘while we were yet sinners, Christ died for the ungodly.’ It is here, in short, for no religious purpose at all, only to announce the Gospel of free grace.”

~Robert Capon

What do religious people do to demonstrate their religiousness? Pray, worship, obsess about their God?

What do Christians do? Pray, worship and obsess about their God. 

Where is the difference really? 

If you don't like the word religion it's ok to not use it. But the guilt, fear and shame of biblical teaching remains. 

You're just repackaging the same nasty feeling I had in the pit of my stomach as a Christian. Jesus is the same fear, guilt and shame yesterday, today and forever. 

Why does God create people in a flawed manner so he can then 'save' them from his own curse? Why not create them 'curse free' to begin with? Why are human beings able to think more logically than God when it comes to matters like these? Why would I want to worship something with less common sense than myself? :-)

• Like 1

The moment you start trying to convince other people of your favourite supernatural hypothesis, it becomes a religion.  /thread

• Like 1

The moment you start trying to convince other people of your favourite supernatural hypothesis, it becomes a religion.  /thread

Myself I think you can't call it a religion until those at some point that follow it kill or are killed for it. Since both of those have taken place and are taking place now in the world over this pitiful belief system I would say YEP it's religion.

2 people could believe it and one kill the other and BAM A LAM religion.

Myself I think you can't call it a religion until those at some point that follow it kill or are killed for it. Since both of those have taken place and are taking place now in the world over this pitiful belief system I would say YEP it's religion.

2 people could believe it and one kill the other and BAM A LAM religion.

Religion can be defined many ways, but usually it refers to a belief system pertaining to the meaning of existence, which can include the origin of the universe, the afterlife, gods, etc. 

I think I've heard people from about 5 religions say they don't follow religion.  They have something so much better than all those religious fools.

Basically people who say they don't follow religion and do are just holier-than-thou assholes.  Sometimes they're called dicks.  

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
    synonyms: faithbeliefworshipcreedMore

• a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"

It's a religion, get over it.

• Like 1

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun

1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
    • a particular system of faith and worship.
      plural noun: religions
      "the world's great religions"
    • a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
      "consumerism is the new religion"

That main definition is somewhat inaccurate imo.  Buddhists don't worship gods, nor do they worship Buddha.  .They see Buddha as regular person like them that sought and found enlightenment, which is just as accessible to the followers.  

New Age religion is modernized/westernized Eastern religion, yet they vehemently claim to have nothing to do with religion.  That's why no one likes them.. they act like dicks lol.

Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion I would think. Though some forms have incorporated folk religion into their Buddhism.

Buddhism is more a philosophy than a religion I would think. Though some forms have incorporated folk religion into their Buddhism.

I agree with you that Buddhism is more of a philosophy than a religion.

Like Buddhism, Christianity often gets wrapped in the religious aspects of its practitioners.

This is how I explained it in a previous post:

I understand in the broad sense as to what Robert Capon meant when he said Christianity is not a religion. He was pointing to the very core and essence of the Christian faith. It’s about grace. The love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it.

I agree that I practice certain rituals like going to church and praying that are religious but it the only through Christ that I receive grace. This explains the verse Jame’s letter. You can say Christianity is a religion in that sense.

He was pointing to the very core and essence of the Christian faith. It’s about grace. 

So is every other religion dumb ass.  Yours is not special, get off your fucking high horse.  This why people don't like Christians. you're always acting like prideful dicks. "My religion is so much better. If you don't believe like I do you will go to hell, blah blah blah"

And yes, Buddhism is a religion as well as Christianity.  Try going to school.

Ok I haven't seen this addressed:

Ironhorse, you and other Christians know as well as we do, that "believing in Jesus" is not actually enough. For the rest of the Christian's life she or he is doing, and trying to believe, and assent to things, that demonstrate "growth" in the faith, because otherwise the faith they have is not authentic, e.g. the relationship with Christ is not authentic. If you support homosexual rights, as I did during my final years as a Christian, you're grieving the Holy Spirit, at least if you think the Bible is wrong about homosexuality. If you see the creation story as myth, you're out of step with Christ. There are countless things like this, which are excused for the new believer, but as the believer "ages," they are deemed to be inauthentic if the "Spirit" hasn't properly changed these aspects of them.

So yes, Christianity has a lot to do with creeds and proper beliefs. If it did not, heresies would not be a problem.

The proof one is a Christian, and has has a True Salvation™ is whether or not they are conforming properly. That conformity by necessity implies a set of beliefs, of creeds. You have all the authority structure of any other religion. So yes, while as a Christian I heard about it not being a religion but a relationship, it by necessity is in fact a religion. And Christians spend their lives authenticating that "relationship" by increased conformity, usually in dogma. Moral behavior is exercised by countless nonChristians, so the only thing they've got is dogma to separate themselves out.

*sigh* how did I spend so many years listening to this shit?  It's a really telling that I can look back on all those decades of wasted time and I'm STILL happier than I ever was back then...  *happy sigh*

And Orbit... you made me snort (at work) thanks alot

• Like 2

Correction: how did I spend so many years SAYING this shit?

*another happy sigh*

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Correction: how did I spend so many years SAYING this shit?

*another happy sigh*

From one good ol' boy to another:  Bless your heart.

• Like 2

You're right. Christianity isn't a religion; it's a religion of religions. There's literally millions of little religions within Christianity, and hundreds of thousands of different Bibles. The church down the street from the church you go to on Sunday morning probably considers your church a false cult doomed to eternal punishment.

How does that make you feel?

Like Buddhism, Christianity often gets wrapped in the religious aspects of its practitioners.

I understand in the broad sense as to what Robert Capon meant when he said Christianity is not a religion. He was pointing to the very core and essence of the Christian faith. It’s about grace. The love and mercy given to us by God because God desires us to have it, not because of anything we have done to earn it.

I agree that I practice certain rituals like going to church and praying that are religious but it the only through Christ that I receive grace. This explains the verse Jame’s letter. You can say Christianity is a religion in that sense.

Christinaity is not a religion, except when it is.  Got it.

A Jesus experience is at best the flow of endorphins into opiate receptor sites. Now I could go to church, pray , sing to Jesus, etc but it's easier to just have an orgasm and then get on with my day. :-)

• Like 1

Every time you talk about God you are being religious.  If you believe that Jesus is God the Son or the son of God then every time you talk about Jesus you are being religious too.  God -> religion

Why do xians try so hard to dissociate from the word religion?  Is there something about religion that makes them embarrassed to be seen with it?  Even if they don't call it religion, is still is one, so they haven't solved their problem.  We're not dumb enough to be fooled by this word game. A 10 year old can see that xianity is a religion.

Try harder, TinPony.

• Like 1

You guys, Christianity is a relationship, not a religion. Duh..... :jerkit:

Why do xians try so hard to dissociate from the word religion?  Is there something about religion that makes them embarrassed to be seen with it?  Even if they don't call it religion, is still is one, so they haven't solved their problem.  We're not dumb enough to be fooled by this word game. A 10 year old can see that xianity is a religion.

Try harder, TinPony.

Same reason people of others religions say it.   They think they have the only/right way to God/salvation/heaven/True Self/Nirvana/inner peace/ etc.

Instead of seeing other religions as equals, they see them as inferior and their own as superior.  So they can't be a religion like all the others, if they were they wouldn't be the only exclusive 'way'.

It's basically ethnocentrism.  A precursor to things like genocide.

• Like 2