Goodbye Jesus

Are You Afraid To Die?

Mythra

midniterider:

Just so you know,  my comment about bullshit wasn't directed at you personally.  Since I have no idea what your take is on Dr. Gary Schwartz.  My bullshit detector went off as soon as I heard him talking about materialistic science like it was closed minded and outmoded.  When materialist science is SCIENCE.  And what this guy is peddling is NOT.  Unless he can show some proof for his claims that are verifiable by the scientific community, I know enough about science to know that his stuff will be rejected as quackery.  There's no evidence to show that the brain is receiving a signal from some other place and that the brain is just a receiver.  There's no evidence for a Universal Mind to which our "soul" or essence will travel after we expire.  

If you want to buy into it, go for it.  But it's not science.  It reminds me of the Church of Religious Science.  Which is not science either. 

Hey, no problem. :) We each value our own particular view and that's alright.

I just don't want it to hurt!

We have fairly indisputable evidence that the brain is the source of memory, thought, etc... Some will find this offensive, but I just don't see any wiggle room on the soul being more than just magical thinking. If there is any, it probably amounts to something like 'everything we think we know is somehow wrong'. If that were the case, all our thoughts, pro or con, amount to mere mental masturbation anyway. Personally, I don't see this line of thinking worthy of much time or energy beyond that which provides personal amusement.

Hey, no problem. smile.png We each value our own particular view and that's alright.

Cool.  I'm sure we see eye to eye on lots of things. 

You know, my mom and I used to go round and round discussing things.  She believed in a God, but not the christian god per se.  Kind of her own tailor made version, based on the good parts of jesus and the good parts of God.  She rejected the idea of sin and most of the OT biblegod because it didn't fit her idea of God being good and kind and loving.  But she believed that God and a Universal Mind were the same thing, and she said that when she died she was going to head towards the light and become one with God.

She knew I was an atheist and had no belief in an afterlife.  She would just smile and say, "you'll see someday".  

As she became really ill with COPD, she really suffered for several years.  She got where she would be completely depleted of oxygen if she just stood up.  Towards the end she was in a lot of pain.  I told her, you know mom, we may disagree about what happens after death, but I think we can both agree that whatever it is, it's better than this. She agreed.  A few days later she died.   I think my saying that somehow might have helped her to let go.  

So people don't have to see eye to eye on everything.

What bothers me is that I have so many things I want to make and do that I know I'll never finish.

My favorite quote on the subject:

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." — Mark Twain

Hey, no problem. smile.png We each value our own particular view and that's alright.

Cool.  I'm sure we see eye to eye on lots of things. 

You know, my mom and I used to go round and round discussing things.  She believed in a God, but not the christian god per se.  Kind of her own tailor made version, based on the good parts of jesus and the good parts of God.  She rejected the idea of sin and most of the OT biblegod because it didn't fit her idea of God being good and kind and loving.  But she believed that God and a Universal Mind were the same thing, and she said that when she died she was going to head towards the light and become one with God.

She knew I was an atheist and had no belief in an afterlife.  She would just smile and say, "you'll see someday".  

As she became really ill with COPD, she really suffered for several years.  She got where she would be completely depleted of oxygen if she just stood up.  Towards the end she was in a lot of pain.  I told her, you know mom, we may disagree about what happens after death, but I think we can both agree that whatever it is, it's better than this. She agreed.  A few days later she died.   I think my saying that somehow might have helped her to let go.  

So people don't have to see eye to eye on everything.

I would rather be eternally non-existent than be in pain like that. There's certainly nothing wrong with death either. We all blissfully die for 8 hours every day...but for some damn reason are afraid of losing consciousness forever.

On the one hand I would like to think there is something more after this life is done, but on the other hand I'm not sure I really want to start paying bills again, working again, dealing with people again and all that other baloney. :)