Goodbye Jesus

The Two Witnesses

Guest Zenobia

Guest Zenobia

Just curious, did any of you ever think... even for a little moment... that just maybe you would be one of the Two Witnesses? Come on, be honest.

*blushes* I sorta kinda thought, just for a moment, once, that maybe I would be since I worked for a religious televangelist show. Fortunately I quickly came to my senses.

I expected to find the second one any day. It is amazing how readily we throw our lives away at the first opportunity when we take all the jazz of xtianity serious. Revealed religions make people some of the most narcissistic bunch of dumb butts you will ever meet.

House of Yahweh The leader, Ysrael Hawkins believes that he and his *dead* brother are, or at least will be the two witnesses.

• Super Moderator

I never thought I was worthy of a special purpose. I just wanted to do His bidding, whatever that might entail.

Apparently, He wanted me to come to my senses and turn atheist. Who woulda thought?

What are two witnesses?
:whs:

I assume the Two Witnesses is from Revelations. They supposedly were preaching to the world, and killed publicly, and then resurrected by God's power, as a proof of God's existence in the last days.

And yes, I did once or twice think that maybe, just maybe, I was one of them, but that lasted only for a few seconds. :)

I answered "What are the Two Witnesses" knowing full well what Zen was talking about. The concept gained noteriety with the rise in popularity of the Left Behind Series. I was only concerned with them when I read the novels. I put the series down and I never thought about them again. Truth be told, I wouldn't be one of the 144,000 other witnesses either.

• Like 1

It is amazing how readily we throw our lives away at the first opportunity when we take all the jazz of xtianity serious.

Not only that, but how ready we are to grab at anything that makes us feel special.

I never truly believed I was one of them, but I did hope from time to time. I always wanted to be something major in God's plan. I wanted to be a hero, someone without compromise who stood for Christ against the Beast.

Now I feel like the luckiest person in the world, just being alive. I love life and I love being good to people around me just for the sake of being good to them. I love not being motivated by fear or guilt and I believe true honour lies in being upright, strong and wise.

• Like 1

I was once sure that Brother Jimmy Swaggart and I were the Two Witnesses, but now I've come to my senses. Glory! :lmao:

I voted Who are the two witnesses. I hadn't a clue. Even the reference to Revelation doesn't clue me in. I was spared most of the horrors of the Left Behind series. Don't think I could have handled them and I don't think my mother would have allowed them in the house. My church did not subscribe to the Rapture; saw it as a heresy of the worldly church that was afraid of the tribulation. I still can't see it any other way. We held to the scene described in Matt. 24. That was scarey enough.

And if martyrs are needed, what about Peter and Stephen from the NT? No need for Jimmy Swaggert to swagger down the ailse of heaven.

If memory serves, the two witnesses only appeared after the rapture had taken place according to what the Baptist church taught. There were a reminant of people left behind who would be saved but at great cost to them (martyrdom, generally). I suppose I never thought myself or anyone I knew could be them, because the real christians were gone and the witnesses had to be some sort of reincarnated Elijah or Moses or some old testament prophet. Sounds bizarre in view of the fact that reincarnation is heretical to the Baptists, but that's how I understood it. Weird. Then again the whole rapture, tribulation scenario was weird.

At the same time I was always afraid I wouldn't go at the rapture but I was always sure my parents would.

I went through a phase of really obsessing about the end times and trying to read the news to figure out who would be the Antichrist and all that, and I really hoped I'd be left behind on purpose so I could go and preach the wurd to the masses. I wanted to be a son of thunder and call down lighting on the heathens heads or go toe to toe with a demon.

But alas, 'twas but a dream.

Rev 11:3 And I will give orders to my two witnesses, and they will be prophets for a thousand, two hundred and sixty days, clothed with haircloth. 4 These are the two olive-trees and the two lights, which are before the Lord of the earth. 5 And if any man would do them damage, fire comes out of their mouth and puts an end to those who are working against them: and if any man has a desire to do them damage, in this way will he be put to death.

When I hit puberty I was pretty confident this was about my testicles.

mwc

• Like 1

Guest Zenobia
Rev 11:3 And I will give orders to my two witnesses, and they will be prophets for a thousand, two hundred and sixty days, clothed with haircloth. 4 These are the two olive-trees and the two lights, which are before the Lord of the earth. 5 And if any man would do them damage, fire comes out of their mouth and puts an end to those who are working against them: and if any man has a desire to do them damage, in this way will he be put to death.

mwc

:lmao: That's hillarious!

Guest Zenobia

Our Church didn't subrscribe to the rapture theory at all. We believed the members of our church, the 144,000, would be "taken away" to a place of safety. For some reason, our church believed this "place of safety" was Petra. I never quite understood where this came from... but I've been to Petra and it is a beautiful place. It was featured in the third Indiana Jones movie, in case no one else knows where in hell Petra is. It's in the country of Jordan. Here's a pic:

500_32ea8d71ac335a645db1a7993d619e33.jpg

Anyway, my memory of church doctrine is hazy since I left the church around 20 years ago... but I think after the 144,000 went to Petra, the Great Tribulation was supposed to begin and the Antichrist was supposed to do his thing and this would go on for 1,000 years or so and after that Jebus would come to earth to fix everything and I think that this was where the two witnesses came in. We always thought they'd be TV reporters broadcasting the return of Jebus to earth.

Now that I've actually been a reporter for 15 years, it sounds pretty funny. I don't think it would get much coverage, to be honest. Unless Jesus diddled with his intern or something. :P

mwc

Did your testicles testify very frequently? :grin:

The Church of Christ (Christian) pretty much ignores the Revelation and pretty much considers the end times bullshit to be actual bullshit. Though of course they use more theological language to describe it.

My Koine professor said that he was a pan-pro millennialist. That is what ever Revelation meant, it would all pan out in the end and that what ever it was he was for it.

Therefore I never gave the 2 witnesses any thought.

I was once sure that Brother Jimmy Swaggart and I were the Two Witnesses, but now I've come to my senses. Glory! :lmao:

Meaning that Brother Swaggart isn't the other witness?

Meaning that Brother Swaggart isn't the other witness?

No, I'm afraid not. :HaHa:

Did your testicles testify very frequently? :grin:

They made witness of the Holy Spurt quite frequently...

mwc

I think,that it refers to two prophets,who were taken alive to heaven in OT.

• 10 months later...

I voted "Who are they?" because there was no clear "no".

After checking Wikipedia I now remember reading about them in Revelations. It is a memorable passage in that dastardly book.

It never occurred to me that I'd be one of them. I've never read the "Left Behind" series. Perhaps one must have read that series to see it in that perspective.

If your answer was any of the many versions of "Yes" AND you have read "Left Behind", could you comment on what you found you would have had in common with one of the Two Witnesses?

Did the author create characters that come out of obscurity?

Did the author create characters that are common everyday people? Or perhaps really realy holy people?

When I read Revelations I picture people with great leadership/communication skills like, Moses/David, Winston Churchill or Lee Iacocca. That ain't me.

So those observations lead me to wonder about the Left Behind books. Did the author employ subtle(yet ingenius) manipulation techniques to cause the reader to imagine themselves in the shoes of the Two Witnesses. Were you manipulated to think that way?

You see... whenever I look at fundamentalist religion... I see brainwashing everywhere; its the only way to sell bullshit!

Mongo

You see... whenever I look at fundamentalist religion... I see brainwashing everywhere; its the only way to sell bullshit!

Mongo

I can't comment on your main questions because I never read Left Behind. But I saw a different take on "brain-washing." It was near the end of "Strong City." This kid grew up in the cult, then her mom left but the girl wouldn't leave. When the leader Wayne Bent, posing as Father Michael, predicted the End of the World the mother took her daughter home for fear it would be mass suicide. But the daughter went back. She told the interviewer a few days before the predicted End that, "Yeah, Father did wash my brain--he washed it of corrupt thoughts!"

That comes from a minor who was induced to lie naked on "Father's" bed while he held her. She says it defiantly while sitting on a seat under a tree with three other teenagers and Father, holding hands with each other; all of it is very intimate.

There was no suicide, according to the reporter, but there would be no more interviews.

:wtf: