Goodbye Jesus

Types Of Atheists

Asimov

(in order of annoyance)

Materialist atheist: Only believe in the material universe, and believe that theism is fundamentally bollocks. We tend to be the smartest.

Ex-fundie atheist: Tends to be the most activist. Seems to write the most books!

Humanist atheist: They like to hold hands. Beurk. Usually utters inoffensive prattle, except when they start talking about how great "Jesus" was.

Religious atheist: Wicca, Buddhist, Satanist atheists. They don't tend to care that much for atheism.

Nihilist atheist: Oh, life is woe. Also, they enjoy telling everyone else they're wrong.

Agnostic atheist: So annoying and pedantic, they should be stabbed in the face.

Pinko atheist: Waaaaaaaah why can't we all get along. You guys are sooooo meeeeeeean

(also- Ex-atheist: A rare creature, never observed outside of zoos.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Asimov

• woodsmoke

• AgnosticBob AtheistPants

• roman

I'll take number one AND two. Also formerly number five, but I grew up.

I think I am a combination of a bunch of these. Well, but not religious atheist or pinko atheist. I think probably I am mostly nihilist. As long as I am annoying though, that's all that matters.

I think I am a combination of a bunch of these. Well, but not religious atheist or pinko atheist. I think probably I am mostly nihilist. As long as I am annoying though, that's all that matters.

:lmao:

You're not annoying....just cuuuuute!!! :HaHa:

Closet Atheist - would wish to take any of the above positions public and proudly. They instead choose not to because it might hurt someones feelings or there own image due to it's current negative label.

:lmao:

You're not annoying....just cuuuuute!!! :HaHa:

Awww I love you man! :P

I suppose that I am still in the process of determining what kind of atheist I am. I imagine that I lean towards a brand of materialism. But I also think that "material reality" is far richer than we often may give it credit for. After all, as Aristotle pointed out, when we ask why? about a phenomenon we currently know of four categories of causation: material, formal, efficient, and final cause. What I am trying to say is that I don't think that I necessarily buy into the reductionistic notion that reality is merely "atoms in the void." I suspect that "material reality" is far richer than that.

(in order of annoyance)

Wait - does that mean the Materialist atheist is the most annoying, and the pinko atheist is least? :scratch:

Anyway, I think of myself as a Materialist with leanings towards philosophical buddhism, and strong secular humanist tendencies. I tend to worship art & music.

Also, I love humans. :wub: I used to hate them, but now realize I'm actually not much better than the average hume, so why not love instead of hate?

When did I turn from a nihilist punk into a damn hippy? :shrug:

Well, you know what kind I am, the annoying and pedantic one that you want to stab in the face. :)

Actually, I'm probably much worse than that, I'm the kind that even claims to be a Nontheist, just for the heck of it. Hehe...

(in order of annoyance)

Roman: Not necessary to fully quote the post, it was just done rigt where we can all read the content. Please discontinue "whole quotes".

kFL

ved outside of zoos.)

Your choices are subjective, loaded, annoying, and not very smart.

I don't find it necessary to label myself or try to fit others into specific pigeon holes because I have no need to try to assume a mantle of superiority.

Id say im probably closest to being the first.

Numbers one and three, your unflattering characterization notwithstanding.

Call me numbers two and one.

In that order exactly cause I started out #2 and now I am #1

As for order of annoyance's I can be a pain in the ass

Just ask my ex. She thinks I am #1

I don't find it necessary to label myself or try to fit others into specific pigeon holes because I have no need to try to assume a mantle of superiority.

Hmmm...you are like me...you fit in the "I don't give a shit" category...LOL

:HaHa: I am with you! absolutely, positively I don't give a shit! :lmao:

For the sake of this thread, I'm uno.

But to paraphrase Sam Harris, the term atheist is stupid and unnecessary. We don't have words for people who don't believe in unicorns, or gremlins etc.

Although there are religous and agnostic athiests as the descriptions alludes to above. Those one make sense because they can be applied.

I think I'm an ex-ex-fundie atheist, on my way to becoming a materialist atheist.

Does that mean I'm slowly getting smarter?

Nah. Doubt that.

But I know that I no longer have the time or interest to listening to fundies prattle on about their scriptures and their Lord and Savior who they love so much. I no longer feel the need to argue with xians or defend my departure from the religion or sit still while they yak about sin and rebellion and judgment. I just won't play that game anymore.

Now, I just shrug my shoulders and think - hey, if you want to devote your entire life to that nonsense, knock yourself out. Just leave me out of it.

I'm a #2, and no that doesn't mean that I'm a piece of shit! :grin:

Your choices are subjective, loaded, annoying, and not very smart.

Oh, so you're a nihilist. Go cry.

No, Sir, I am not a nihilist. But I do know what you are.

(in order of annoyance)

Materialist atheist: Only believe in the material universe, and believe that theism is fundamentally bollocks. We tend to be the smartest.

Ex-fundie atheist: Tends to be the most activist. Seems to write the most books!

Humanist atheist: They like to hold hands. Beurk. Usually utters inoffensive prattle, except when they start talking about how great "Jesus" was.

Religious atheist: Wicca, Buddhist, Satanist atheists. They don't tend to care that much for atheism.

Nihilist atheist: Oh, life is woe. Also, they enjoy telling everyone else they're wrong.

Agnostic atheist: So annoying and pedantic, they should be stabbed in the face.

Pinko atheist: Waaaaaaaah why can't we all get along. You guys are sooooo meeeeeeean

(also- Ex-atheist: A rare creature, never observed outside of zoos.)

Well, I'm a 2 and I'll let you guess which other.

:Hmm:

How exactly am I pedantic?

:shrug:

No, Sir, I am not a nihilist. But I do know what you are.

A doody head?

Well, I'm a 2 and I'll let you guess which other.

How exactly am I pedantic?

I didn't make it up. I found it on a forum and thought it was funny.

Ditto. :shrug:

Hoity toity... :Wendywhatever: