Goodbye Jesus

The Origin Of Jesus

SWIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aW2N46vf4Q...feature=related

This vid seems to get banned quite a bit, but here it is. It explains "Mithras (named after Mithra)", these are people, prophets and saviours who throughout history, arrived on the "scene" in amazingly similar circumstances.

Now, to complement this vid, here is a list of gods that share the same story structure as the jesus tale:

Important note: ALL of these religious figures were around, with THEIR stories many years BEFORE jesus was even a gleam in daddies eye, most of them over 1000 years before jeebus!

1. His mother was a virgin woman: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Krishna, Mithra, Zoroaster

2. He was born on December 25: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

3. His earthly (adopted) father was a carpenter: Jesus, Krishna

4. His birth was signaled by a heavenly star: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna

5. At his birth, shepherds presented him with gifts: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

6. He was born in a manger or a cave: Jesus, Dionysus, Mithra

7. As a baby, he is declared a king. Wise men present him with gifts of gold: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna

8. Angels or other good divine spirits sang songs or danced at his birth: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna

9. He was threatened by a king or tyrant who tried to kill him as an infant: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Moses

10. He was of royal lineage: Jesus, Buddha, Horus

11. He taught at the temple as a child and astounded all who heard him with his wisdom: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Zoroaster

12. He was baptized at a river: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Zoroaster

13. His hapless baptizer is later decapitated: Jesus, Horus

14. He was tempted in the wilderness by the devil: Jesus, Zoroaster

15. He was a traveling teacher of great wisdom: Jesus, Buddha, Dionysus, Mithra

16. His ministry preached a message of charity, peace and love. He lived in poverty and loved the poor: Jesus, Krishna

17. He taught of heaven and hell, revealed mysteries, resurrection, judgment, salvation and the apocalypse: Jesus, Zoroaster

18. He gave a famous sermon on a mountain: Jesus, Horus

19. He had 12 disciples: Jesus, Horus, Mithra

20. He gave his disciples the power to work miracles: Jesus, Krishna

21. He was transfigured in front of his disciples, sometimes described as shining as the sun: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna

22. He healed the sick and the injured: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Serapis, Zoroaster

23. He cast out demons: Jesus, Horus, Zoroaster

24. He fed hundreds or thousands with magically generated food: Jesus, Buddha

25. He walked on water: Jesus, Buddha, Horus

26. He brought back the dead: Jesus, Horus

27. He turned water into wine: Jesus, Dionysus

28. His followers were admonished to take vows of poverty and renounce worldly desires: Jesus, Buddha

29. He was called such exalted titles as "Lord", "Master", "Light of the World", "Holy One", "Redeemer", "The Way", "The Truth", etc.: Jesus, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

30. He is called "Logos" or "The Word": Jesus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Prometheus, Zoroaster

31. He was called "the anointed one" (how "Christ" translates): Jesus, Dionysus, Horus

32. He was known to his followers as a Shepherd of Humanity: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Mithra, Serapis

33. He was known as a fisher, associated with the fish: Jesus, Horus

34. He's identified with the ram or lamb: Jesus, Dionysus, Horus, Mithra

35. He's identified with the lion: Jesus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

36. He came not to destroy but to fulfill the law: Jesus, Buddha, Horus

37. He rode in a triumphal procession on a donkey: Jesus, Dionysus

38. He condemned the clergy for their ambition and hypocrisy. He would later fall victim to their scheming: Jesus, Krishna

39. He crushed a serpent's head: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna

40. Declared the savior of humanity, slain for our salvation: Jesus, Attis, Krishna, Mithra

41. He sometimes is known by a heart symbol: Jesus, Krishna

42. His body and/or blood is consumed through bread/wine in a symbolic ritual: Jesus, Attis, Dionysus, Mithra, Zoroaster

43. He had a sacred cup or grail: Jesus, Zoroaster

44. He died while hung from a cross or a tree: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna

45. His good friend, a fisherman named Peter/Petraeus, would desert him: Jesus, Prometheus

46. He was crucified between two thieves: Jesus, Horus, Krishna

47. He was around the age of 30 when he was crucified: Jesus, Krishna

48. At his death, the sun darkened or there were other grim supernatural signs: Jesus, Krishna

49. He went to the underworld for three days: Jesus, Attis, Mithra

50. He was resurrected: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

51. He was resurrected during the springtime, the date of which would become a day of celebration among his followers: Jesus, Attis, Dionysus, Mithra

52. His sacred day is Sunday: Jesus, Mithra

53. He is the second part of a divine trinity and/or considered to be one with his father god: Jesus, Attis, Krishna

54. He promises to return one day: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna, Zoroaster

55. When he comes again, he will ride on a white horse to do battle with the prince of evil: Jesus, Krishna

It would *appear* our old buddy jesus was just more of the same.

Horus strikes me as THE most similar, he was on the scene over 1000 years before jesus...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rpMcMurphy

• Ouroboros

• Evolution_beyond

• Neon Genesis

More about Horus:

Horus

* Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

* His earthly father was named "Seb" ("Joseph").

* He was of royal descent.

* At age 12 he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.

* Was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iaurutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" (John the Baptist) who was decapitated.

* He ad 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "AAn" (the two "Johns").

* He performed miracles, exorcized demons and raised El-Azarus ("El-Osiris") from the dead.

* Horus walked on water.

* His personal epithet was "Iusa" the "ever-becoming son" of "Ptah," the "Father." He was called the "Holy Child."

* He delivered a "Sermon on the Mount" and his followers recounted the "Sayings of Iusa."

* Horus was transfigured on the Mount.

* He was crucified between two thieves, buried for three days in a tomb, was resurrected.

* Titles: Way, the Truth the Light; Messiah; God's Anointed Son; Son of Man; Good Shepherd; Lamb of God; Word made flesh; Word of Truth.

* Was "the Fisher" and was associated with the Fish ("Ichthys"), Lamb and Lion.

* He came to fulfill the Law.

* Was called "the KRST" or "Anointed One."

* Was supposed to reign one thousand years.

edit fyi:

He was worshipped thousands of years before the first century CE -- Almost 3000 years BEFORE the time when Jesus was ministering in Palestine.

There are parallels with the cult of Imhotep too... people were visiting the tomb of Imhotep for healings until the Islamic invasion, when it went underground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aW2N46vf4Q...feature=related

This vid seems to get banned quite a bit, but here it is. It explains "Mithras (named after Mithra)", these are people, prophets and saviours who throughout history, arrived on the "scene" in amazingly similar circumstances.

Now, to complement this vid, here is a list of gods that share the same story structure as the jesus tale:

Important note: ALL of these religious figures were around, with THEIR stories many years BEFORE jesus was even a gleam in daddies eye, most of them over 1000 years before jeebus!

1. His mother was a virgin woman: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Krishna, Mithra, Zoroaster

2. He was born on December 25: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

3. His earthly (adopted) father was a carpenter: Jesus, Krishna

4. His birth was signaled by a heavenly star: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna

5. At his birth, shepherds presented him with gifts: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

6. He was born in a manger or a cave: Jesus, Dionysus, Mithra

7. As a baby, he is declared a king. Wise men present him with gifts of gold: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna

8. Angels or other good divine spirits sang songs or danced at his birth: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna

9. He was threatened by a king or tyrant who tried to kill him as an infant: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Moses

10. He was of royal lineage: Jesus, Buddha, Horus

11. He taught at the temple as a child and astounded all who heard him with his wisdom: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Zoroaster

12. He was baptized at a river: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Zoroaster

13. His hapless baptizer is later decapitated: Jesus, Horus

14. He was tempted in the wilderness by the devil: Jesus, Zoroaster

15. He was a traveling teacher of great wisdom: Jesus, Buddha, Dionysus, Mithra

16. His ministry preached a message of charity, peace and love. He lived in poverty and loved the poor: Jesus, Krishna

17. He taught of heaven and hell, revealed mysteries, resurrection, judgment, salvation and the apocalypse: Jesus, Zoroaster

18. He gave a famous sermon on a mountain: Jesus, Horus

19. He had 12 disciples: Jesus, Horus, Mithra

20. He gave his disciples the power to work miracles: Jesus, Krishna

21. He was transfigured in front of his disciples, sometimes described as shining as the sun: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna

22. He healed the sick and the injured: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Serapis, Zoroaster

23. He cast out demons: Jesus, Horus, Zoroaster

24. He fed hundreds or thousands with magically generated food: Jesus, Buddha

25. He walked on water: Jesus, Buddha, Horus

26. He brought back the dead: Jesus, Horus

27. He turned water into wine: Jesus, Dionysus

28. His followers were admonished to take vows of poverty and renounce worldly desires: Jesus, Buddha

29. He was called such exalted titles as "Lord", "Master", "Light of the World", "Holy One", "Redeemer", "The Way", "The Truth", etc.: Jesus, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

30. He is called "Logos" or "The Word": Jesus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra, Prometheus, Zoroaster

31. He was called "the anointed one" (how "Christ" translates): Jesus, Dionysus, Horus

32. He was known to his followers as a Shepherd of Humanity: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Mithra, Serapis

33. He was known as a fisher, associated with the fish: Jesus, Horus

34. He's identified with the ram or lamb: Jesus, Dionysus, Horus, Mithra

35. He's identified with the lion: Jesus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

36. He came not to destroy but to fulfill the law: Jesus, Buddha, Horus

37. He rode in a triumphal procession on a donkey: Jesus, Dionysus

38. He condemned the clergy for their ambition and hypocrisy. He would later fall victim to their scheming: Jesus, Krishna

39. He crushed a serpent's head: Jesus, Buddha, Krishna

40. Declared the savior of humanity, slain for our salvation: Jesus, Attis, Krishna, Mithra

41. He sometimes is known by a heart symbol: Jesus, Krishna

42. His body and/or blood is consumed through bread/wine in a symbolic ritual: Jesus, Attis, Dionysus, Mithra, Zoroaster

43. He had a sacred cup or grail: Jesus, Zoroaster

44. He died while hung from a cross or a tree: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna

45. His good friend, a fisherman named Peter/Petraeus, would desert him: Jesus, Prometheus

46. He was crucified between two thieves: Jesus, Horus, Krishna

47. He was around the age of 30 when he was crucified: Jesus, Krishna

48. At his death, the sun darkened or there were other grim supernatural signs: Jesus, Krishna

49. He went to the underworld for three days: Jesus, Attis, Mithra

50. He was resurrected: Jesus, Attis, Buddha, Dionysus, Horus, Krishna, Mithra

51. He was resurrected during the springtime, the date of which would become a day of celebration among his followers: Jesus, Attis, Dionysus, Mithra

52. His sacred day is Sunday: Jesus, Mithra

53. He is the second part of a divine trinity and/or considered to be one with his father god: Jesus, Attis, Krishna

54. He promises to return one day: Jesus, Buddha, Horus, Krishna, Zoroaster

55. When he comes again, he will ride on a white horse to do battle with the prince of evil: Jesus, Krishna

It would *appear* our old buddy jesus was just more of the same.

Horus strikes me as THE most similar, he was on the scene over 1000 years before jesus...

I think the reason this video keeps getting banned is because it's a plagerism of ZEITGEIST: THE MOVIE. And doesn't credit the movie. I'm guessing.

Vist ZEITGEIST THE MOVIE for the full 30 minute video!!!

Here's the Christian, um, *cough* refutation:

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/copycat.html

WOW a drop to the floor long ass page full of nothing but meaningless ramblings!! If you can't dazzle em with brillance, baffle em with bullshit...

What a lamn response, that really wasn't a response at all. Their response was basically in a nutshell "there are some similarities, but not enough...". Course they could have just simply said this instead of 10,000 words of bullshit...

I'm pretty certain that the Think in the title of 'Christian Think Tank' makes them illegal in certain provinces... in the half decade I've been reading their stuff I've not seen any evidence of 'thought'...

In all the months I've been researching this stuff about the "SUNS OF GOD" et al, i've yet to come across a source that LOGICALLY and SIMPLY refutes this stuff.

For one of the worst retorts in history, you could also read Lee Strobel's book, "The Case for the Real Jesus"

*In the background one can hear Emenim singing, "Will the real Jee Zuz please stand up...please stand up?"

P.S. Why can't these nut jobs every answer a question SIMPLY? I don't have the time or the inclination to read all that bs.

since the simple answer would be too easy to pick apart, obfuscation is the rule of the day!

More about Horus:

Horus

* Was born of the virgin Isis-Meri in December 25th in a cave/manger with his birth being announced by a star in the East and attended by three wise men.

* At age 12 he was a child teacher in the Temple, and at 30, he was baptized, having disappeared for 18 years.

* Was baptized in the river Eridanus or Iaurutana (Jordan) by "Anup the Baptizer" (John the Baptist) who was decapitated.

* He ad 12 disciples, two of whom were his "witnesses" and were named "Anup" and "AAn" (the two "Johns").

<snip>

Hi all,

Has anybody been able to verify very many of these from independent sources? Many years ago I tried looking up sources for some of these similarities between various Pagan Gods and Jesus, and while I was able to indeed confirm certain claims, I found no evidence of others. (If I remember correctly, the resurrection of Krishna may have been one of the ones I didn't find. I couldn't find sources that some of the others were crucified.) Furthermore, I found yet another Deity, Asclepius, which wasn't mentioned in the source I had and yet which had quite a few other striking similarities with Jesus... and not only that, but even the early Christians knew (and complained) that Asclepius was so similar to Jesus as to present a unique challenge when trying to convert people.

I really appreciate info like this, but I'd also really love to see the source material for it as well. Just wondering if anybody else has ancient source material for some of this stuff.

It bothers me slightly when these different gods are all made out to be virtually identical. Not all the details found in the Jesus story are found in all these other gods. To confuse them might seem to help the argument that the Jesus story borrowed from them - but it actually harms the argument because then it can be shown to be inaccurate.

I'm not sure Mithras even died and resurrected. But the second coming and final judgement is all there in Mithraism - along with various cave/shepherd symbolism.

Osiris, Dionysus, Attis, Tammuz, Adonis - these are all dying and resurrecting deities. And Dionysus seems to have some similarities to the Jesus story. Attis was 'hung on a tree'.

Krishna can be compared to Christ in some ways - but crucified and resurrected? Where the hell does that come from?

I think sometimes people try too hard to force these other deities to all seem very similar to Jesus.

The reality is that Jesus's story seems to be a combination of various other myths, all of which had currency in the middle east at the time and many of which are connected to each other. But I don't think you can actually find any one myth which contains all the elements found in the Jesus narrative - and to insist on this without evidence just shows your argument up as inaccurate, which harms your case rather than helps it.

There is a valid case against a historical Jesus. All of the miraculous or just plain surprising elements of the story have echoes in previous pagan myths or stories of pagan holy men. The key ideas of the Jesus narrative (death and resurrection for example) exist in previous pagan myths, where some of the symbolic meaning is the same. The gospel narratives are short on verifiable data, and where it does exist (geographical references for example) it can often be shown as inaccurate. Much of the non-miraculous elements of the Jesus narrative can be shown to be mere polemic or directly influenced by Jewish ideas and prophecies (such as riding into Jerusalem on a donkey - from the prophecy in Zechariah). There is no convincing evidence outside of the bible to prove that Jesus actually existed.

The argument is convincing when stated as above. But making claims that Mithras or Krishna were crucified and making a whole list of events in the Jesus narrative and claiming that all those gods had all of those features in their narrative - that sort of nonsense does the argument a lot of harm.

It bothers me slightly when these different gods are all made out to be virtually identical. Not all the details found in the Jesus story are found in all these other gods. To confuse them might seem to help the argument that the Jesus story borrowed from them - but it actually harms the argument because then it can be shown to be inaccurate.

The BIG point in pointing out the similarities is this:

YES all the stories are different ALL of them. None have the same *details*. However, the similarities are THE MEAT of the story, the thing that gives it teeth.

A plagurist does not copy word-for-word other stories, but makes variation of them. Take stephen king for example, he openly admitts that some of his stories are re-tellings of other stories, the MEAT of them, not the details.

The details that are similar, the birth, death, being undeaded etc etc, are the things xtians latch onto, it is supposed to give crediblity to the "teachings" and the man.

Now that we can see they are re-writes, with their own details of course, we can BETTER identify it as a myth, and put it in the fiction section of the bookcase where it belongs.

The BIG point in pointing out the similarities is this:

YES all the stories are different ALL of them. None have the same *details*. However, the similarities are THE MEAT of the story, the thing that gives it teeth.

A plagurist does not copy word-for-word other stories, but makes variation of them. Take stephen king for example, he openly admitts that some of his stories are re-tellings of other stories, the MEAT of them, not the details.

The details that are similar, the birth, death, being undeaded etc etc, are the things xtians latch onto, it is supposed to give crediblity to the "teachings" and the man.

Now that we can see they are re-writes, with their own details of course, we can BETTER identify it as a myth, and put it in the fiction section of the bookcase where it belongs.

Well of course.

But some of the things I've read seem to suggest that all these stories are a lot more similar than they actually are. For example - how many of these gods were portrayed as crucified rather than dying by other means? 'Born of a virgin' more often means conceived by intercourse between a god and a mortal woman. I have found no information that Mithras was even a dying and resurrecting god - but he was supposed to come back and his cult was connected to an end-time judgement and resurrection of the dead.

Yet some people start saying things like "all these gods were born on 25th Dec, they had virgin births, they were all crucified and resurrected again". And I don't think that helps the point being made, because people could do a little research, cry 'bullshit' and then ignore the theory.

It seems a shame to undermine the theory by being overly zealous and not paying enough attention to remaining 100% accurate.

And I agree that Jesus was a myth - a combination of mystery religion ideas and Jewish messiah prophecies.

I just don't like to see a good theory get undermined by wilfull obscuring of facts, that's all.

A better summary is this:

There were several gods in the ancient world that were portrayed as dying and rising to life again - including Osiris, Attis, Adonis, Tammuz and Dionysus/Bacchus

The cults of these gods often took the form of 'mystery' religions, where the events of this death and resurrection were staged for the benefit of the believers and they felt that they participated in the death and resurrection of the god and so achieved a renewed spiritual life. These mystery religions also involved the partaking of a holy meal - often of bread and wine.

The gods died in many ways - Osiris was locked in a coffin by Set, Dionysus was ripped apart, Attis was 'hung on a tree'

But certain details are spookily similar to Christian stories about Jesus. Dionysus for example was portrayed in a purple robe and with a crown of leaves. Can this have anything to do with the gospel portrayal of Jesus being given a crown of thorns and the soldiers putting a purple robe on him to mock him?

the cult of Mithras is interesting because it doesn't seem to have a dying and resurrecting god as such. But Mithras was supposed to preside over the final judgement, when his worshippers would be resurrected from the dead to be judged by Mithras when he returned to earth at the end times.

Many of the miracles that Jesus was said to have performed are remarkably similar to miracles said to have been performed by pagan holymen in the Ancient Greek and Roman world.

All things considered - it seems that the Jesus story is a patchwork synthesis of various pagan myths, as if certain Jewish messianists of the time were trying to create their own Jewish mystery religion around an imaginary messiah figure.

:)

Jesus isn't a copy of those gods. It is the ideas of what god is supposed to be, from that culture, that Christianity adopted. Christianity was a new religion, like back in the 60's, a Mustang was a new car. It wasn't the first car, or the first concept of a car, but a new one, none-the-less. Everyone knew what cars were and were supposed to do and be. The Christian's god, incorporated all the elements of what a god was supposed to do and be in the culture in which it originated, while still being a new god.

But that ain't the sense peoply use the word now... 'The mystery of the Passion... ' there may have been something once, but the 'secret' is long forgotten.... it's something that points to a vacant lot, not a destination any more... unless I missed getting the secret handshake and decoder ring...

But that ain't the sense peoply use the word now... 'The mystery of the Passion... ' there may have been something once, but the 'secret' is long forgotten.... it's something that points to a vacant lot, not a destination any more... unless I missed getting the secret handshake and decoder ring...

Mystery, is from the Greek, meaning initiation. The term as it's used to catagorize ancient religions isn't from our common vernacular, kind of like the word "theory". When you understand what it means, you get a clearer understanding.

Christianity is a Mystery Religion because it incorporates initiation, such as Baptism.

Sorry, I thought I was agreeing with you :)

In terms of the cult of Christ being a mystery religion of the late antiquity mould is something I wasn't disputing, nor the use of the word. What I was trying to add was that most clergy don't know the meaning of the word, other than the modern vernacular one, and I'm pretty certain that has been a deliberate policy of obfuscation of language to remove the fact that the 'inner' or 'initiate' level of Chrisitanity is lost, or contradicted the view of the Imperial Christianity that is now sold as the one 'true' religion... thus, there may have been a level of 'the passion of the Christ figure that, to people 'in the know' (those initiated) it made a spiritual sense to... but now, what the symbolism meant is lost... thus the Passion is a pointer to an empty lot with an old mattress and a dead dog dumped on it...

Sorry, this is why I'm not very good with two dimentional communication, too much is lost on me.

The reality is that Jesus's story seems to be a combination of various other myths, all of which had currency in the middle east at the time and many of which are connected to each other.

<snip>

The argument is convincing when stated as above. But making claims that Mithras or Krishna were crucified and making a whole list of events in the Jesus narrative and claiming that all those gods had all of those features in their narrative - that sort of nonsense does the argument a lot of harm.

Yes, that's exactly my point. And yet I've seen some of those claims made (and re-quoted) over and over again. Granted, it's tedious to look up every single myth (and many have multiple and sometimes conflicting variations) but the repetition of inaccurate information is as bad as the Christians using Josephus to prove Jesus' existence, even though the relevant paragraph been known to be a forgery for decades.

Sorry, this is why I'm not very good with two dimentional communication, too much is lost on me.

'Clarity' is not my middle name... my typing is too far behind where my mind is for that...

I believe my middle name, for historical reasons, my middle name is 'Macabre' :D

More about Horus:

Horus

<snip>

Hi all,

Has anybody been able to verify very many of these from independent sources? Many years ago I tried looking up sources for some of these similarities between various Pagan Gods and Jesus, and while I was able to indeed confirm certain claims, I found no evidence of others. (If I remember correctly, the resurrection of Krishna may have been one of the ones I didn't find. I couldn't find sources that some of the others were crucified.) Furthermore, I found yet another Deity, Asclepius, which wasn't mentioned in the source I had and yet which had quite a few other striking similarities with Jesus... and not only that, but even the early Christians knew (and complained) that Asclepius was so similar to Jesus as to present a unique challenge when trying to convert people.

I really appreciate info like this, but I'd also really love to see the source material for it as well. Just wondering if anybody else has ancient source material for some of this stuff.

I think the best source for finding "independent" sources is found on the Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth website.

Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth

I've never encountered the Krishna resurrected myth in any modern or Indian sources... it seems to come from The World's Sixteen Crucified Saviours By Kersey Graves (http://englishatheist.org/16/16.shtml)

This is one of those areas that sort of bothers me because of a tendency for folks to say things like "Christianity came from paganism." In reality, it's just another mystery religion that carries the characteristic attributes of a mystery religion that developed during that particular time period. Therefore, it simply resembles other mystery religions of the time in that it is based on eastern texts, requires initiation, and has a central mystical figure that holds the secret to getting to paradise (the other prospect being languishing in Hades' like the uninitiated). There wasn't borrowing from these other faiths so much as Christianity was the same type of faith, and so it followed the same basic rules.

Jesus was likely some local figure of little historical significance who served as the basis for a lot of elaboration by later writers. Those writers simply gave him the attributes he was expected to have. One of my professors felt that the Christ mystery caught on for two reasons, initially: (1) it filled a niche left by the earlier persecution of the cult of Bacchus by allowing more humble folks (women and slaves) to be initiated, and (2) it had as its center a (reportedly) living person that claimed divinity, at least as reported by Paul, and that made it stand out among the other mysteries.