• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mriana

• Jane of the Jungle

• Deva

• Vomit Comet

I have no problems and neither do I.

Is that a split personality you got going there Heretic? Multiple personalities hiding in there? Any others for us to meet? :lmao:

I used to suffer from pretty bad depression, with a few manic episodes interspersed for good measure. Mostly depression, though. I was diagnosed as having type 1 bipolar disorder back in 2005. It sucks donkey balls. But thankfully it's in remission now.

Devalight,

Sorry about the “W” honest mistake, would teach me a lesson to check message before final post (I am not the first nor the last whom this happened to)

Having much more sarcasm where that comes from – not necessarily something to be proud of, you know!

Guess I must get some help with my English (second language) and you, with your attitude ;-)

The Atheist thing, I have explained, so get over it!

“I know my limitations and don't try to communicate in another language I am not proficient in to the extent of trying to analyze mental problems.” :Wendywhatever:

Only your opinion and not my intention and you know it!

If you feel the need to discuss this any further, please PM me, because I think it is very unpleasant for fellow Forum users to observe!

Take Care

Having much more sarcasm where that comes from – not necessarily something to be proud of, you know!

I can't speak for DevaLight, but I have to admit I'm pretty proud of my sarcasm. It's a good defense mechanism.

Guess I must get some help with my English (second language) and you, with your attitude ;-)

Ouch. Them's fightin' words.

Mental illness isn't just caused by lack of self-esteem. Lack of self-esteem seems to be a common by-product of mental illness, though. Mental illness can be caused by a lot of things: trauma, abuse, physical injury, faulty genetics and chromosomal abnormalities, imbalanced brain chemistry, etc. There doesn't have to be any religion involved. Mental illness isn't something you can just "get over" by "believing in yourself" or "thinking positively". In reality, moving past a true mental illness is extremely difficult for a lot of people, and when people say things like, "Oh, just cheer up," or "You need to believe in yourself," it's actually pretty insulting and it shows that the person doesn't understand mental illness at all. I'm glad that you got over your issues fairly easily and without the need for psychological intervention, but that's not possible for a lot of people.

That's why I say it is good to talk about it.

I suffer from PGD(persistent gullibility disorder). First it was Xianity, now I have been into various occult studies,which I mostly take with a grain of salt.

Guest ephymeris
The "mentally ill" are for all practical purposes, the lepers of our modern day society.

Agreed. Not just the shame stigma but the belief that mentally ill people could just "get over it" of they really wanted to. I worked with HIV positive, mentally ill, homeless people in Memphis and it was a shame to see how many of them could have been kept off the street if mental healthcare was a priority in this country. It's not just impoverished people who suffer, check your health insurance's coverage for mental healthcare should you ever need it. That coverage is usually pitiful. I think we could solve so many problems in this country if mental illness was respected as a diagnosis and treated as vigorously as a physical ailment. This rant is my 2 cents after working in healthcare for a decade.

Devalight,

I Have to apologize, didn’t have to get my a$$ all curled up like a scorpion on attack.

Please accept my apology :-)

Sceptic, a person who tell you, they got over trauma, abuse, physical injury, faulty genetics and chromosomal abnormalities, imbalanced brain chemistry, easily are most “possibly” lying. Took me a long time to get a balance and these female hormones messing around with ones emotions sometimes, not helping at all lol

So yeh I am "ok"

Normal? (I dont think so) If we Define Normal, how many people would fall under this category? Depends on who categorised them? :Hmm:

Sceptic, a person who tell you, they got over trauma, abuse, physical injury, faulty genetics and chromosomal abnormalities, imbalanced brain chemistry, easily are most “possibly” lying.

Umm...I know that. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I was trying to say that it's very difficult for people to move past those things (not "get over"...I hate that phrase...) and yeah, some people do, to some extent, often with help from a mental health professional, but it takes years, and it takes a lot more work than just "thinking positively" or "cheering up". It's pretty hard for someone with suicidal thoughts to just "cheer up" or "get over it".

So yeh I am "ok"

Normal? (I dont think so) If we Define Normal, how many people would fall under this category? Depends on who categorised them? :Hmm:

I didn't say you were "normal" necessarily, just not someone with a mental illness.

Guest QuidEstCaritas?
The "mentally ill" are for all practical purposes, the lepers of our modern day society.

Agreed. Not just the shame stigma but the belief that mentally ill people could just "get over it" of they really wanted to. I worked with HIV positive, mentally ill, homeless people in Memphis and it was a shame to see how many of them could have been kept off the street if mental healthcare was a priority in this country. It's not just impoverished people who suffer, check your health insurance's coverage for mental healthcare should you ever need it. That coverage is usually pitiful. I think we could solve so many problems in this country if mental illness was respected as a diagnosis and treated as vigorously as a physical ailment. This rant is my 2 cents after working in healthcare for a decade.

And sadly the societal perception that somehow it's ethically and morally ok for society to marginalize the mentally ill on a cultural level because in fact they will "never get over it" leads to that same effective status as modern day lepers. People rationalize "they will never get over it" and then they just move on, and the mentally ill person(s) is left with no one at all or very few that are not also mentally ill. It would be pitiable, but in my mind it just speaks to how pathetic our culture is, and that is what is truly pitiable. Lepers never got over their leprosy, during the Middle Ages, either.

Guest JeniMac

Depression, low self-esteem, anger issues and, worst of all, avoidant personality disorder. None diagnosed, probably because of the latter (I'd rather avoid doctors too). I also could never give oral presentations in high school and college without needing a strong sedative to calm my voice and lips from spazing. I got some Cymbalta from a relative and it's helped with everything but the avoidant personality.

The usual post-Pentecostal cocktail, I guess, low self-esteem, depression, anger, anxiety and sometimes insomnia.

There are far too many people who play the victim in life.

True, but give the concentration camp victims time to adjust to their new freedom.