Goodbye Jesus

Leaving The Church For Good

Guest Justyna

Yeah, people are a trip. I think it is wonderfulwhen people really try to understand how their brain works and where their emotions and feelings come from. It is a very interesting line of study. What is amazing to me is that there really is starting to be evidence that god comes from our brains and the god feeling can be activated by different means. Another facet of humans is the fact that sometimes when we change our way of thinking about issues then some of our emotional problems diminish. How do we do that?

Why do some people turn into real human beings and some people remain caricatures? Lots to think about.

Human life (and life in general) still fascinates me, and it's incredibly hard to image all this came without a creator. Blows the mind.

Goodbye Jesus
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shyone

• ShakenNotStirred

• renoliz

• MagickMonkey

I've seen some studies on the "God part of the brain" or various stimuli that duplicated the experience of experiencing God for the religious. Drugs, magnets, and other physical stimuli have been used.

Look up "Neuroscience and God" for more information.

Thanks very much -- I will definitely do that. I always found it odd how people have used drugs or other special stimuli to deepen their spiritual contact or experiences. Drugs, sweat lodges, etc... I can understand primitives believing in them, but today? I've even met Christians who said they'd always pray while taking a bubble bath with some aromatherapy candles lit. I guess incense kinda falls into that category of sensory stimulation, too.

On a personal note, I remember trying Adderall a few years back and I was excited because I actually wanted to go to church, sit there, and soak it all up again. I really felt a renewed excited about God, and it kinda gave me a spiritual kick start. It didn't take me long to face that what I was feeling wasn't real -- it was just my system interacting with the med (in a good way, but not in a supernatural God way).

Interesting!

I forgot to mention that fasting also can cause brain malfunction.

And it's good for ejecting certain types of demons.

(Matt. 17:21 - Interesting that this isn't found in the NIV, but it's in the King James)

I forgot to mention that fasting also can cause brain malfunction.

And it's good for ejecting certain types of demons.

(Matt. 17:21 - Interesting that this isn't found in the NIV, but it's in the King James)

I'll have to check that out again. It's possible that they translated from 2 different texts. It's been a long time but I know there are different source documents that have been used for some of the translations. I always got a kick out of the "KVJ only" crowd.

After reading Justyna's initial deconversion story, I gathered that Justyna never stated that she left Christianity for intellectual reasons. In fact, she clearly stated that:

"Part of the problem is that I have dreams and goals I want to achieve and you know how Christians can be sometimes. They tell you to make certain that its Gods will blah blah blah...well I am 27 years old and I dont need anyones permission. I think I might be agnostic or something....but I would not say I am a Christian anymore....Ive grown up and out of that. I feel so free and happy right now. "

So Justyna left because she decided to rebel against the 'do's and don'ts' of Christianity. She badmouthed the church, not God. I am not surprised by her incessant rambling about God's goodness. She has the mind of a child remember. Last year, I taught fourth graders who could argue with any religious fanatics that there was no way that God could stop the sun as stated in the book of Joshuah.

Is she still attracted to women? She wrote that she was involved in a relationship with a woman--so 'Holier Than Thou' Justyna has had kinky sex LOL.

Let me stop LOL. Justyna has been nice to me.

At this point, I think when anyone argues with Justyna, they are simply rewarding her with what she wants. Whenever you point out how she's wrong, some endorphins or whatever are released in her brain causing pleasure and re-enforcing her silly behavior. I think ignoring her will do her and yourselves a favor.

I'm really starting to like this place. :)

I like thisplace too:) Glad to have you shakenbutnotstirred.

Thanks! I've always gotten into psychology and love studying human behavior, communication, motivation, etc. Plays a big part in my world view these days, and explains a lot I didn't understand before. It's nice (and rare, honestly) to be around people who look beyond the surface and get real about things. I think the feeling of "being in the Spirit" is probably nothing more than an endorphin rush. It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done on this.

I attended a workshop on " The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" this week. I came to the reallization that I have been substituting my reliance on biblical principles for some of the habits developed by Stephen Covey for years when I realized that most of my prayers went unanwered. Of course, I praised God for granting me the wisdom to make good decisions when in fact I did the work. I even told the workshop presenter that I have been living by those habits for years, but now I can list them and use the terminology-- now, will be able to explain to someone how I have been able to inculcate my students with positive thinking.

I attended a workshop on " The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" this week. I came to the reallization that I have been substituting my reliance on biblical principles for some of the habits developed by Stephen Covey for years when I realized that most of my prayers went unanwered. Of course, I praised God for granting me the wisdom to make good decisions when in fact I did the work. I even told the workshop presenter that I have been living by those habits for years, but now I can list them and use the terminology-- now, will be able to explain to someone how I have been able to inculcate my students with positive thinking.

Very interesting, and I'll have to check him out. I can definitely relate, because I kept dumbing down my prayers and became afraid to pray for specific outcomes after a while. I guess I was shaping my prayers to avoid disappointment which might give me any reason to doubt. Out of everything that bothered me, the non-existent power of prayer ended up being the thing that finally killed faith for me.

At this point, I think when anyone argues with Justyna, they are simply rewarding her with what she wants. Whenever you point out how she's wrong, some endorphins or whatever are released in her brain causing pleasure and re-enforcing her silly behavior. I think ignoring her will do her and yourselves a favor.

Thanks! I've always gotten into psychology and love studying human behavior, communication, motivation, etc. Plays a big part in my world view these days, and explains a lot I didn't understand before. It's nice (and rare, honestly) to be around people who look beyond the surface and get real about things. I think the feeling of "being in the Spirit" is probably nothing more than an endorphin rush. It would be interesting to know if any studies have been done on this.

It has been sometime since I heard about the seven habits of effective people. Care to refresh my memory on what the seven habits are?

Very interesting, and I'll have to check him out. I can definitely relate, because I kept dumbing down my prayers and became afraid to pray for specific outcomes after a while. I guess I was shaping my prayers to avoid disappointment which might give me any reason to doubt. Out of everything that bothered me, the non-existent power of prayer ended up being the thing that finally killed faith for me.

I think I was starting to dumb down my prayer requests as well. What we will do to keep god in our lives, huh? Sure you are all-powerful but could you do me this one teensy weensy favor god? I know you let my kids friend die but could you make sure I get a good parking spot today?

Yeah, good old God. He won't lift a finger to save children from starving to death or from being raped and abused, but yet is quite happy to help many ofhis worshippers get parking places, win at sports, pass exams, give up bad habits, have safe journeys, bless their food, get their cars started and all sorts of other trivial requests. God's priorities are most definitely screwed up.

It has been sometime since I heard about the seven habits of effective people. Care to refresh my memory on what the seven habits are?

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Habit 1: be Proactive

Habit 2: Begin With the End in MInd

Habit 3: Put First Things First

Habit 4: Think Win-Win

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood

Habit 6: Synergize

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw

Habit 2 is is put in practice by most Christians. After all, their ultimate reward is to go to heaven.

Habit 4 is what most Christians call faith, just think positive. ( I refer to it as positive thinking)

Habit 5 is the habit that the indoctrinated Christians will never be able to apply LOL (Justyna is a great example).

Habit 3 is the one that Christians love to follow: Put God first.

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Habit 1: be Proactive

Habit 2: Begin With the End in MInd

Habit 3: Put First Things First

Habit 4: Think Win-Win

Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood

Habit 6: Synergize

Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw

Habit 2 is is put in practice by most Christians. After all, their ultimate reward is to go to heaven.

Habit 4 is what most Christians call faith, just think positive. ( I refer to it as positive thinking)

Habit 5 is the habit that the indoctrinated Christians will never be able to apply LOL (Justyna is a great example).

Habit 3 is the one that Christians love to follow: Put God first.

Thank you. I really enjoyed that along with your take on how Chritianity compares to that list.

You're right -- it's not easy. Things do get better though, so hang in there!

Justyna, on the other hand, is quite happy in her delusion and ignorance. Not a good recipe for escaping the mindfuk. I hope she does some day. After 44 pages of her arrogant, self-righteous, and ego-maniacal rambling in her Former Christian Friend Became an Atheist/Satanist thread, I'm not so hopeful.

I guess I've missed a lot, lol! Link please? :)

I think this is the thread. It's been moved from Rants and Replies to Lions Den.