Goodbye Jesus

Is Abortion Immoral?

StPaul

Not sure why you shouldn't like me. You don't know me. Though I do like your thoughts about the mother's natural rights. Not sure how anything I've said in any way conflicts with anything you've said. Thanks for the back-handed welcome anyway.

Welcome to ex-C badpuppy. Well somebody likes what you write. You got two ups after only making 14 posts. That is an excellent start. I haven't seen any idea that I dislike. Even if I didn't agree with your opinion that wouldn't mean we wouldn't get along. You have the right to disagree. Hang out. Enjoy yourself. Rant if you need to at our rant section. Have fun. Again I welcome you.

Hi MM! Thanks! I liked a lot of what you had to say as well. One thing I find refreshing about this forum is so many articulate people expressing complex ideas. You don't get that in a lot of places online.

One thing I find refreshing about this forum is so many articulate people expressing complex ideas. You don't get that in a lot of places online.

The bad news is that when it's a mod you don't get to vote them up. It's down right frustrating because Antlerman, Nivek and Ouroboros have so many awesome things they post. Not fair. Hmmm . . .

It's hard to warm up to someone who refers to developing babies as parasites....but like you said, we don't know you.

Actually quite a FEW people on these forums have referred to developing babies as parasites. And I'm not saying it to be controversial I mean LITERALLY.

par·a·site definition

Pronunciation:

/ˈpar-ə-ˌsīt/

Function:

n

:

an organism living in, with, or on another organism

In what way am I inaccurate about the status of a fetus? Before it's viable on it's own it is... literally a womb parasite. Now you may not like that terminology. You may find it too cold and cruel, but a lot of people don't particularly care for people calling an embryo in the first trimester a BABY. An acorn is not an oak tree and a fetus is not a baby. You don't get the designation of "baby" until you've had your ass slapped for the first time.

Similarly perhaps not everyone likes use of the word "murder". You are free to feel a fetus is a baby and that killing it is murder. That doesn't make your assessment necessarily more or less accurate than my womb parasite assessment. If you feel there is some reason why you should be able to use words like "baby" and "murder" to stir up sympathies, but I shouldn't be able to accurately say "parasite", please enlighten me. I'm very interested to know how your perspective is somehow empirically more true than mine.

And sorry that text went so tiny on me. I was copy and pasting from dictionary.com and then when I resumed typing I didn't notice it had gone all tiny on me. So here it is again:

Parasite:

an

organism

living in,

with,

or

on

another

organism

In what way am I inaccurate about the status of a fetus? Before it's viable on it's own it is... literally a womb parasite. Now you may not like that terminology. You may find it too cold and cruel, but a lot of people don't particularly care for people calling an embryo in the first trimester a BABY. An acorn is not an oak tree and a fetus is not a baby. You don't get the designation of "baby" until you've had your ass slapped for the first time.

Similarly perhaps not everyone likes use of the word "murder". You are free to feel a fetus is a baby and that killing it is murder. That doesn't make your assessment necessarily more or less accurate than my womb parasite assessment. If you feel there is some reason why you should be able to use words like "baby" and "murder" to stir up sympathies, but I shouldn't be able to accurately say "parasite", please enlighten me. I'm very interested to know how your perspective is somehow empirically more true than mine.

I don't see the fetus as a parasite. I see the mother and child in a cooperative endeavor to further the species.

See this is what I suspect. Some women here have had abortions. And that's your right. But you don't have the spine to call it what it is. That's why I have contempt for you. Not because you had an abortion, but because you don't have the spine to say, "I killed my developing baby. And it was MY baby to kill."

Grow a spine.

I don't see the fetus as a parasite. I see the mother and child in a cooperative endeavor to further the species.

See this is what I suspect. Some women here have had abortions. And that's your right. But you don't have the spine to call it what it is. That's why I have contempt for you. Not because you had an abortion, but because you don't have the spine to say, "I killed my developing baby. And it was MY baby to kill."

Grow a spine.

You are being just a wee bit judgmental there.

Does "grow a spine" mean describe abortion the way you see it? If you don't describe abortion the way some other random person sees it does that mean you don't have a spine from their point of view?

And sorry that text went so tiny on me. I was copy and pasting from dictionary.com and then when I resumed typing I didn't notice it had gone all tiny on me. So here it is again:

Parasite:

an

organism

living in,

with,

or

on

another

organism

I'll give the definition to my two boys, Tick and Flea...and their baby sister Licey,....I mean Lucy.

You are welcome to be as sterile as you wish with your terminology....I suppose one has to condition themselves to find a position and mental attitude that supports their decisions.

Yep, I sure am. Not only am I being judgemental but I am expressing that judgement. Deal with it.

[Deal with it.

See previous post.

Yep, I sure am. Not only am I being judgemental but I am expressing that judgement. Deal with it.

You judgemental...heavy on the mental, tarhead...lol

You judgemental...heavy on the mental, tarhead...lol

:HaHa:

Grow a spine.

Wow. Seriously? We're doing this again in less than the space of an hour? I have never had an abortion. I use birth control and am married and have been for 10 years. However, that doesn't mean my body doesn't belong to me or that I wouldn't get an abortion if I for some reason still got pregnant. I would. I do not want to be pregnant. I do not want to give birth. I do not want to raise a baby. I do not want to give my genetic material for someone else to abuse and/or otherwise fuck-up.

We can call it murder all day. We can call it anything anyone wants to call it. It doesn't change the fact that my body is mine and will continue to be mine no matter who in the future may mistakenly and bizarrely think it's theirs.

Also the fetus by DEFINITION until 22 weeks or thereabouts is a parasitic entity. I'm really not sure in what way this makes me dishonest in your worldview. Though I'm utterly fascinated by your reaction to me.

I hope there is no further confusion between us.

• Like 1

I have made my compromise. I will compromise no further. If those who choose to kill thier babies wish to assuage their own conscience with elaborate machinations then so be it. But I will see it as I GODDAMN wish to see it. Not only that I will tell you what I see.

I'll give the definition to my two boys, Tick and Flea...and their baby sister Licey,....I mean Lucy.

You are welcome to be as sterile as you wish with your terminology....I suppose one has to condition themselves to find a position and mental attitude that supports their decisions.

factual statements are not "sterile" anymore than emotionalizing statements (such as "murder" and "baby") are factual. However, we can use your terminology. I don't really care. The issue is the sovereignty of me over my own body. and I'm actually not sure if anyone else is reading the other abortion thread, but I posted there before here and i DID acknowledge that abortion was taking a life. I just do not CARE because it is a cluster of cells that has no right to be here. But even so, I would never intentionally bring someone into this crappy place. So if I ever have cause to have an abortion, it's a mercy killing. But even if it was a horrific bloodthirsty killing, it's MY body.

Not really sure which part of "my body" is giving you the trouble. You can moralize about it all day but I will do what I feel is best for me should the need arise. If your deity doesn't want me to abort, then infertility is always within his power (hypothetically of course). You are free to do whatever you wish with YOUR body. Note how I don't care what parasites you kill or don't kill. Say hi to Tick and Flea for me.

I have made my compromise. I will compromise no further. If those who choose to kill thier babies wish to assuage their own conscience with elaborate machinations then so be it. But I will see it as I GODDAMN wish to see it. Not only that I will tell you what I see.

You are free to see it however you wish to see it. And actually before you started jumping on my case, and expressing your bizarre contempt for me, I agreed with your assessment 100%. I HAVE no guilt over this issue, so however others wish to see or phrase it makes no difference to me. The ONLY thing I care about is my right to my own body. That's it. You don't need to make any compromises, but you might consider not making assumptions about people you don't know.

factual statements are not "sterile" anymore than emotionalizing statements (such as "murder" and "baby") are factual. However, we can use your terminology. I don't really care. The issue is the sovereignty of me over my own body. and I'm actually not sure if anyone else is reading the other abortion thread, but I posted there before here and i DID acknowledge that abortion was taking a life. I just do not CARE because it is a cluster of cells that has no right to be here. But even so, I would never intentionally bring someone into this crappy place. So if I ever have cause to have an abortion, it's a mercy killing. But even if it was a horrific bloodthirsty killing, it's MY body.

Not really sure which part of "my body" is giving you the trouble. You can moralize about it all day but I will do what I feel is best for me should the need arise. If your deity doesn't want me to abort, then infertility is always within his power (hypothetically of course). You are free to do whatever you wish with YOUR body. Note how I don't care what parasites you kill or don't kill. Say hi to Tick and Flea for me.

Ahh, no biggie ma'am. I have children that I would give my life for easily. I realize your position and can rationalize it. You seem like a quazi normal person. I would be inclined to say try it before you knock it in your case. Children are wonderful, IMO. Wecome.

I'll give Tick and Flea a shout....their ciferin' in the doublewide at the moment.

Not really sure which part of "my body" is giving you the trouble.

Years ago when I was a fundamentalist Christian I thought statements of "It's my body" included the embryo. I'm not saying anybody here believes that. I'm ust saying it was my confusion at the time. Of course losing fundamentalism changed my view on abortion and many other topics.

You can moralize about it all day but I will do what I feel is best for me should the need arise. If your deity doesn't want me to abort, then infertility is always within his power (hypothetically of course).

The ironic part is that the Bible says God killed lots of babies and unborn. And natural disasters and normal stillbirths/abortions happen all the time.

Ahh, no biggie ma'am. I have children that I would give my life for easily. I realize your position and can rationalize it. You seem like a quazi normal person. I would be inclined to say try it before you knock it in your case. Children are wonderful, IMO. Wecome.

I'll give Tick and Flea a shout....their ciferin' in the doublewide at the moment.

Actually I have a godson, and I love him dearly. I do not "hate" children, but my body is not a baby factory. My best friend almost aborted him (my godson), even as much as I love him and as awesome as he is, if we went back in time and she got an abortion I would not be in any way angry with her. I'm sure I would get to meet him in some other form at some other time down the line. And thanks! My first day has been bracing. ;)

Not really sure which part of "my body" is giving you the trouble.

Years ago when I was a fundamentalist Christian I thought statements of "It's my body" included the embryo. I'm not saying anybody here believes that. I'm ust saying it was my confusion at the time. Of course losing fundamentalism changed my view on abortion and many other topics.

You can moralize about it all day but I will do what I feel is best for me should the need arise. If your deity doesn't want me to abort, then infertility is always within his power (hypothetically of course).

The ironic part is that the Bible says God killed lots of babies and unborn. And natural disasters and normal stillbirths/abortions happen all the time.

I know, which is why it baffles me. And in the Christian belief system that fetus goes to heaven. In my belief system if that soul needs to reincarnate it'll reincarnate into another body. Either way, nothing is ACTUALLY lost for the baby. IMO. And if atheism is true.. well... why bring a kid into the world that you don't want when they're going to have to figure out there is "nothing" after they die and come to terms with THAT depressing world? Seriously? And I shutter to think, if I gave birth to a baby girl how hellish HER life would be because I'm pretty sure Roe V Wade is going to be long in our history by that time.

• 1 year later...

What the hell is going on with the forums?   The forum stamped the last post from 2011, but the thread showed up in the "view new content" page.  

I think it's the poll--someone might have answered it.

I think it's the poll--someone might have answered it.

My heart skipped a beat seeing all those posts with Luna's avitar on them.  Too bad they are dead threads.  :(

Ah, yes.  The poll.   Mystery solved.