Goodbye Jesus

What are your motivations as an Ex-C?

Dianka

Hi everyone.

I am curious to know what aspect of Christianity infuriates you the most, and what area you tend to read up on the most.

Personally, I find the violence most disturbing, and get really upset when Christians talk about the love for humanity and peace they feel with God. If I judge the "love" God has for us through the historical actions of Christians, I can only see him as an abuser.

When I left Christianity it wasn't because I didn't believe in God, it was because I wanted to believe in a movement that is not violent. Buddhism sounded like a good fit. But I found out Buddhists have their own history of violence, and couldn't commit to it.

I would love to hear from other people on this.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dianka

• Purple

• Mike D

• spamandham

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For me its the doctrine of eternal torment. This has cast a dark cloud over so many people.......

For me its the doctrine of eternal torment.  This has cast a dark cloud over so many people.......

102485[/snapback]

Yeah, what he said. The reason? I spent countless nights awake in torment worrying about torment.

What are my motives? Well, I'm a member of a vast underground conspiracy to overthrow the world and set up the anti christ as ruler of the world. :wicked:

Boo!

What are my motives?  Well, I'm a member of a vast underground conspiracy to overthrow the world and set up the anti christ as ruler of the world.  :wicked:

Boo!

102493[/snapback]

Oooh, I hope this movement comes with it's own cute little book based on mythology and pagan customs. :notworthy:

Back on topic: I have had a few nightmares about being in Hell, but after waking up I always had the sense to remind myself that there is no such place.

I may fall into the typical Chirstian argument that I was never a "real" Christian, but that doesn't really bother me because I can find so many people on here that were unquestionably Christian before they started questioning.

Even when I was at my most obedient to Christianity, I did not completely accept the illustration of people burning for their sins in a deep cavern.

I have two main areas right now.

The first is the notion that this is a "Christian nation, founded by Christian men, based on Christian principles."

That makes me insane. Along with it always goes the prayer in school issue and the motto "In God we Trust"..

They take the motto and jump to the conclusion that "god" in that sentence automatically means "the god of the bible, christian god!"

The second one sorta fits with the first. "God's" stand on gays. I find it infuriating that they will single out one aspect of homosexuality and condemn that particular "sin", never even addressing other "sins". All of this to do with legislation. They can have their opinion all they want, I really don't care, but when it comes to making laws..it seems the height of hypocrisy(sp?) to leave out all the others..like "gluttony, greed, etc.."

Why not have a law that says you can't overeat? Isn't that the same in god's eyes as all the other "sins?"

Frankly, I found a better deal. I found that putting together my own system based upon my own observations of the world at large beats out a static 1600 year old set of books, and an organization that is one of the few modern dinosaurs.

Never liked hell, obvious injustice. Was glad I left though, opened my eyes and actually let me ask myself some questions that I needed to ask, and am glad I did.

All of this to do with legislation.  They can have their opinion all they want, I really don't care, but when it comes to making laws..it seems the height of hypocrisy(sp?) to leave out all the others..like "gluttony, greed, etc.."

102520[/snapback]

Right! I don't cme here or read on my own as a reaction to my past experience with spirituality, I do it because there are fuckers out there trying to get laws passed that have everything to do with pushing their faith. I am literally threatened by religion.

And if spiritual legislation becomes our overwhelming reality, I worry that there is no liberty that will not be revoked in the name of God.

I am curious to know what aspect of Christianity infuriates you the most, and what area you tend to read up on the most.

102473[/snapback]

Just the ridiculousness that so may people believe a lie (myth).

I understand that most of us are indoctrinated from birth, but I don't understand how serious studiers don't find the truth.

Not sure I'm infuriated, just amazed.

Dan

I find the hell doctrine the most disturbing, and after that, the bigotry and prejudice perpetuated by many Christians.

As for reading, I read a lot of fiction, but when I was questioning, I read up on Pagan myths and religious history.

What infuriates me the most?

I'd have to say thought crime.

Jesus said that if a man lusts in his heart after a woman it is the same as if he had slept with her. I'm a wife, and I say bullshit Jesus. If my husband "thinks" about benig with another woman he doesn't bring home a disease to me, if he thinks about being with another woman, said woman doesn't end up pregnant with his child.

Jesus said if you hate a man in your heart it is the same as commiting murder, oh Jesus just SHUT UP already! That is the most repugnant philosophy. If a person hated me, one of my children, my Erus, my husband or anyone I care about... okay. They murder them, that' a whole different ball of wax.

Christians explain this away by saying it is a warning to guard your thoughts. I agree that if you sit and constantly think and obesess abotu murder or sex you are more apt to act. Still an action is far different and far worse in these cases then jsut thinking. This is a HORRIBLE thought to put into the mind of many people. It leads to people thinking, well I can't help thinking about it, I may as well do it.

An admonishment to guard your thoughts I can understand. Making a man that hates another as guilty as a man that kills another is horrible, irresponcible and just plain stupid.

To quote from a song which is right on target:

A new dark age descending, it's Torquemada's dream

Liberty lies raped crushed broken neath the christian war machine

Nation after nation falling in the shadow of the christian sword

With death they bring the lore of "love"!

'nuff said!

Jesus said if you hate a man in your heart it is the same as commiting murder, oh Jesus just SHUT UP already!

102742[/snapback]

:lmao: Thanks, Purple. That cracked me up.

For me, it was the realization that the whole gospel story was just a good novel that broke the hold it had on me.

It was a whole new world that opened up, when I realized that some people didn't believe that Jesus had ever existed, and could make a pretty good case for that position.

So, I tend to gravitate towards books that debunk the gospels and undercut the whole "God inspired truth" argument.

Politically, I find the idea of a christian theocracy to be downright

scary.

Personally.....I dunno, there's so much of it that's bad that it's

hard for me to pick just one thing. I suppose it would be the

idea that a supposedly just gawd could sanction rape, murder,

torture, genocide, burning millions of people in hell for all

eternity just to show 'em who's boss, etc., etc., ad nauseum,

all because he's gawd and we're not. Yuck.

Personally.....I dunno, there's so much of it that's bad that it's

hard for me to pick just one thing.

102802[/snapback]

No shit - how can you pick just 1 or 2 things that anger you about this shitty 'religion'? It's anti-science, anti-gay, pro slavery, starts wars, controls minds, steals money, subverts democracy, etc.

It's easier to find the 1 thing that's good about it...nothing. :vtffani::crucified:

Thanks, Purple. That cracked me up.

Yuo are very welcome Mythra. :grin:

The sheer hypocrisy is a big one for me. I was around Christians every day of high school, and what disturbed me was that they would act like good little Christians, and then turn around and show their true colours. And that pisses me off.

The whole idea of eternal damnation, as has been mentioned seems to be the part that's getting to me recently.

What hit me first when I finally allowed myself to step back and honestly ask questions, was the idea of losing yourself to god. Making yourself less so there's more of him. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea that we were thinking, reasoning, intelligent beings, but we had to put that all aside to be more like something or someone that no one has ever agreed on in centuries upon centuries.

In the process of writing a semi-autobiographical fiction to sort of work through some of my story about my leaving the church, I pulled out some old CD's that I had once adored to help me along the way. Sonicflood was a favorite group of mine, and I just couldn't believe the lyrics of this one song - and I know there are a million more P&W songs like this, but this one nailed me between the eyes, not only in the lyrics, but that I had totally sang them from my heart at one point.

Brokenness, brokenness is what I long for.

Brokenness is what I need.

Brokenness, brokenness is what

You want from me.

How could an all loving god want his creation totally broken before we're accepted and acceptable???

I have two main areas right now.

The first is the notion that this is a "Christian nation, founded by Christian men, based on Christian principles."

That makes me insane.  Along with it always goes the prayer in school issue and the motto "In God we Trust"..

They take the motto and jump to the conclusion that "god" in that sentence automatically means "the god of the bible, christian god!"

102520[/snapback]

United States Department of Treasury:

Origin of "In God We Trust"

Fact Sheets: Currency & Coins

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History of 'In God We Trust'

The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

The rest of the article is pretty long, so I posted the link.

Yes, it is probably a well know fact, but people continue to think that the fathers of this country were driven by Christianity.

"In God We Trust" did not appear on money until the fear of death by Civil War was exploited.

For me, it was a couple of things:

1. I cannot reconcile an "omni" attribute God and free will.

2. Ezekiel 18

3. Hypocracy/inconsistency of followers ("fruits")

I became convinced, then believed the lie for 3 decades. Followed with all my heart and mind, and devoted my resources (time, effort, money). Then discovered it was all made up by men, and every Christian thing I held as truth was exposed as a lie.

Now I just want to help free others trapped in the same worldview. The world needs less religion, less faith, less intolerance, less theocratic threats, and more truth, tolerance, and understanding.

The world needs less religion, less faith, less intolerance, less theocratic threats, and more truth, tolerance, and understanding

103039[/snapback]

I see you are also a member of my vast evil atheist conspiracy. Did I show you the handshake yet?

Really it varies so much because there is so much.

And that ends up becoming the thing I hate most. That there are so many problems, proof against, or contradictions and yet people still accept it as being a truth. That is just mind boggling that people are so willing to dupe themselves like that.

I became convinced, then believed the lie for 3 decades.  Followed with all my heart and mind, and devoted my resources (time, effort, money).  Then discovered it was all made up by men, and every Christian thing I held as truth was exposed as a lie. 

Now I just want to help free others trapped in the same worldview.  The world needs less religion, less faith, less intolerance, less theocratic threats, and more truth, tolerance, and understanding.

103039[/snapback]

Run for office. There's an audience for this. :grin:

Really it varies so much because there is so much.

And that ends up becoming the thing I hate most. That there are so many problems, proof against, or contradictions and yet people still accept it as being a truth. That is just mind boggling that people are so willing to dupe themselves like that.

The fear of Hell/nothingness is a powerful and irrational emotion.