Goodbye Jesus

Bible “ethics”

white_raven23

Guest stooch

I quoted Hitler. So you come back and spouted out a bunch of stuff to put down Christianity. I agree with you dude. Hitler was also influenced by Luther and his interpretation of the Bible to me was wrong. Just because he was influnced by his crooked interpretation of the Bible does not negate he was influenced by Darwin and Nietzsche also.

I agree with Augustine when he said, you can not judge a philosophy by it's abuses. It's been abused all through history. No doubt about it and I can admit it. That is not what Christ had in mind. An Yes, I presuppose the Bible in what I believe and you presuppose it is not true.

And White Raven, you basically called me a liar. I never said Darwin wanted to wipe out a race, he knew that the implications were possible. I'm assuming I was not clear and it was misread. Otherwise, It's rather arrogant to read into what I said. I've treated you with respect, but you have not lived up to the ethic you preach.

Of course, their were ethics before the Bible. We have a God conscienceness and a sense of right and wrong. Adam and Eve knew right and wrong, but they chose to not believe God and be autonomous.

Most people on this site are trying to be autonomous. Non religion sounds so nice, non violence is the way to go. No one and I mean no one has answered the question of how we know right and wrong. It's been either subjective feelings or dogmatic escape from pain. Well, if I "feel" like shooting someone then that is appropriate under your philosophy. Now, you say no, that can't be. That is the point! You can not distinguish right and wrong because what is right for you is different may be different for me. Well, I've heard, whatever does not bring pain. You can not know what pain is wrong without an absolute. How do you know, how do you know? No one answers this. They can't! They get frustrated because I've exposed their illogical thinking. What they do is go is spew a bunch of misinterepreted Bible verses and say look, God is evil. They don't answer the questions.

You all may not be violent physically, but to use your term. The "negative energy" from some of you is filled with anger, bitterness and if words could kill, you would kill me. You want to 6 on 1 the Christian in the Coloseum.

I realize Christians can suck sometimes and they can piss people off. I have not said this up to this point, but I am a minister and I put up with these people. Even the Bible said, the church is a whore, but it still is the bride of Christ.

I have not quoted a single Bible verse.

Like I don't know, we do not have the original manuscripts of the Bible. I can read the Greek!

Like I don't know, there are some troubling passages in the Bible.

Like I don't know, men put their personal spin on the writings. Of course they did! They had an agenda.

Like I don't know people have killed in the name of God and Christianity.

Like I don't know, God caused Job to suffer.

Like I don't know, King David killed thousands of people, he pointed to the need of a perfect king, namely Jesus.

Like I don't know from the OT Law, king David should have died for his sin. Instead of a physical death, his emotional torture was worse. After his adultery and murder, his family was a tragedy.

Like I don't know about Achan and Ananias and Sapphira. Sometimes sin has severe punishment.

I can go on, but I feel you will not give me a share shake

If you beleive in a god he would not cause pain, again you can't know how to define pain unless their is a standard. Even Plato said that. By the way, we have under 10 writings of Plato, but I don't know anyone who challenges that. We have 5000 writings of the Bible and everyone challenges it. iIt makes us stronger and it is here to stay. Jesus said, I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail. It grows and grows and you can't stop it. Love will prevail, next week my organiztion will take over 5000 people to New Orleans to help rebuild some people's lives. We will feed them, cloth them and give them shelter. Come down and see for yourself. What are you doing? Spreading love on this site, yeah right.

In regards to white raven, the end will come at some time, sorry about the negative energy but this world will pass away. If I am wrong, I live a great life helping people be all they can be.

You presuppose certain things and I'll presuppose mine.

You can respond to this if you would like, but I probably won't read it, so I want to forewarn you. I will be spreading this message of hope, love and peace till everyone has had a chance to hear about the true Christ who forgives and gives peace. The one, when he returns will usher in his kingdom.

I know, you don't need to say it, I'm crazy and I'm wrong.

The Bible does not teach everyone is a god, but now I see why you can be right and I'm wrong. You are a god.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_raven23

• SkepticOfBible

• Lycorth

• Eponymic

Oh... did I miss something. What? Huh? He's leaving us? But we're not going to know right from wrong without the guidance of the Bible. What? I already addressed that back on page one? I thought so. Good, now I can sleep well knowing I'm capable of making moral decisions without the old book.

Ok there are some serious problems with what you are saying, first off I don't really think you understand relativism very well.

Yes you were right when you pointed out that the people who rammed the planes into the trade center, and Hitler and many others who have hurt people did what was right in thier own eyes, but as I have another standard I am free to say they were wrong, just because there isn't an absolute standard doesn't mean all standards meen nothing.

Even if we claim there are absolute morals, we have to define the standard we are judging things on, do we define moral behavor based merely on what god happens to say is right? is that the absolute standard? Because god in the bible changes his mind quite a bit.

I have an absolute standard myself, do as little harm to others as posible....I realize that its imposible to do no harm at all. The problem with the absolute standards set by most christians is that they only work in a perfect world....it is imposible to live a perfect "sinless" life, not because of OUR nature, but because the laws of nature prevent it, our very existance can and will bring pain to others even if we try not to....and yet as an individual I have a right to fight for my existance and my individuality

I quoted Hitler. So you come back and spouted out a bunch of stuff to put down Christianity. I agree with you dude. Hitler was also influenced by Luther and his interpretation of the Bible to me was wrong. Just because he was influnced by his crooked interpretation of the Bible does not negate he was influenced by Darwin and Nietzsche also.

I agree with Augustine when he said, you can not judge a philosophy by it's abuses. It's been abused all through history. No doubt about it and I can admit it. That is not what Christ had in mind. An Yes, I presuppose the Bible in what I believe and you presuppose it is not true.

Let me say this Augistine was a moron....he says many many incredibly stupid things. For instance he thinks sex is evil and that woman are satans tools to lead men astray. HE WAS AN IDIOT, nothing he said was of value at all, and I should know because I've read much of what he wrote. I think a philosophy that claims to be perfect CAN be judged by its abuses, if its perfect there should be no way to abuse it right? Besides you fail to offer any evidence that it WAS an abuse.

In fact by the standard you set 90% of the history of christianty was an abuse of the philosophy, any philosophy that causes that much human suffering is no a good philosophy....at least if your standard for morality has anything to do with human happieness.

And White Raven, you basically called me a liar. I never said Darwin wanted to wipe out a race, he knew that the implications were possible. I'm assuming I was not clear and it was misread. Otherwise, It's rather arrogant to read into what I said. I've treated you with respect, but you have not lived up to the ethic you preach.

Of course, their were ethics before the Bible. We have a God conscienceness and a sense of right and wrong. Adam and Eve knew right and wrong, but they chose to not believe God and be autonomous

hmmm....actually according to the bible adam and eve DIDN'T know wrong from right....maybe you should read the genesis creation account again :shrug:

I think you should study antropology so you can actually get a good idea how moral systems develop in cultures...because you don't seem to have a clue how moral systems REALLY got here.

Most people on this site are trying to be autonomous. Non religion sounds so nice, non violence is the way to go. No one and I mean no one has answered the question of how we know right and wrong. It's been either subjective feelings or dogmatic escape from pain. Well, if I "feel" like shooting someone then that is appropriate under your philosophy. Now, you say no, that can't be. That is the point! You can not distinguish right and wrong because what is right for you is different may be different for me. Well, I've heard, whatever does not bring pain. You can not know what pain is wrong without an absolute. How do you know, how do you know? No one answers this. They can't! They get frustrated because I've exposed their illogical thinking. What they do is go is spew a bunch of misinterepreted Bible verses and say look, God is evil. They don't answer the questions.

You all may not be violent physically, but to use your term. The "negative energy" from some of you is filled with anger, bitterness and if words could kill, you would kill me. You want to 6 on 1 the Christian in the Coloseum.

HOLY HELL I AM SO FREAKING TIRED of this total non-arguement for the bible god. You can't know what pain is without an absolute? what does that even mean? I don't have to have an absolute to know I don't want to be killed.....it takes no thought whatsoever to extend this to "other people also dont' want to be killed" and "if I kill people it will make things bad for me, because I will be cast out of society"

And hell yeah some of us are bitter, we wasted years of our life on this stuff and then you come in and decide without even meeting us in person that you know everything about our life...you'd be mad too.

and people ganging up on you? let me play the worlds smallest violin for you, ever go to a christian forum and see them gang up on an athiest or some other non-believer....you came here so you should have known what you were getting into...if you didn't thats not our fault.

I realize Christians can suck sometimes and they can piss people off. I have not said this up to this point, but I am a minister and I put up with these people. Even the Bible said, the church is a whore, but it still is the bride of Christ.

Like I don't know, we do not have the original manuscripts of the Bible. I can read the Greek!

Like I don't know, men put their personal spin on the writings. Of course they did! They had an agenda.

Like I don't know, King David killed thousands of people, he pointed to the need of a perfect king, namely Jesus.

Like I don't know from the OT Law, king David should have died for his sin. Instead of a physical death, his emotional torture was worse. After his adultery and murder, his family was a tragedy.

Like I don't know about Achan and Ananias and Sapphira. Sometimes sin has severe punishment.

so you give us a fair shake? don't make me laugh....you may know these things but it doesn't seem you've really considered what these things mean.

If the moral in christianity has nothing to do with making things better for us... which when you consider passages like ananias and sapphira it can't be, then what is the standard.

God also says eye for an eye tooth for a tooth, and yet he kills ananias and sapphira for lying, how is this in accordance with his own laws? I'm sorry but a can't see the absolute morals you tout in this passage, all I see is a vain narcisistic being who got pissed of that someone didn't obey him just right and then laid the smack down on them because he doesn't like to be shown up.

If you beleive in a god he would not cause pain, again you can't know how to define pain unless their is a standard. Even Plato said that. By the way, we have under 10 writings of Plato, but I don't know anyone who challenges that. We have 5000 writings of the Bible and everyone challenges it. iIt makes us stronger and it is here to stay. Jesus said, I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail. It grows and grows and you can't stop it. Love will prevail, next week my organiztion will take over 5000 people to New Orleans to help rebuild some people's lives. We will feed them, cloth them and give them shelter. Come down and see for yourself. What are you doing? Spreading love on this site, yeah right.

Plato is not the bible...though he does say many stupid things, just like the bible...the reason no one chalenges him much is because nobody goes around claiming his writings are the word of GOD and perfect in every way....If you were in a muslim country would you simply accept that every believes the koran or would you chalenge authroity because you believe its wrong?

And good job on the new orleans thing...I'm not being glib here really good job. If christians would spend more time on things like this and less time telling gays and athiests they are evil then I would have a problem with them.

In regards to white raven, the end will come at some time, sorry about the negative energy but this world will pass away. If I am wrong, I live a great life helping people be all they can be.

The problem with this statement is that if you are wrong, you will not be helping people but instead enslaving them to a controling cult like religion that will destroy thier freedom to live thier own life

You are right that no matter who you are people presuppose things, athiest, chistians, and people of all religions have that in common

You can respond to this if you would like, but I probably won't read it, so I want to forewarn you. I will be spreading this message of hope, love and peace till everyone has had a chance to hear about the true Christ who forgives and gives peace. The one, when he returns will usher in his kingdom.

again, the message doesn't seem like hope, love, or peace to me....and history tends to bear me out on this. Also how dumb is it to say God loves me when your message is worship god or he will send to to eternal torment for not believing in him even while he won't provide proof of his existance. If thats love, then i guess the dictionary has the wrong definition :lmao:

The Bible does not teach everyone is a god, but now I see why you can be right and I'm wrong. You are a god.

Ok what the crap is this, you claim to treat us polite and them come up with this standard crap, a thinly veiled slap in the face. how is it an athiest who believes in NO god thinks THEY are god? its crap, and meaningless at that.

Some people here do believe in god...just not yours.

I'll take Thomas Paine over augustine any day. Thomas Paine pointed out that the bile...uh I mean Bible was blasphemous. If there is a personal god of some kind I am quite sure he is offended that anyone would attribute him with actions he is supposed to be guilty of in the bible.

I myself am a Taoist of sorts, which, guess what, is a religion that values relative morals....and yet the chinese culture existed for thousands of years with out explodiing or destorying itself, and if their culture does colapse now, it will be because of communism, a belief system that has one major thing in common with christianity....it tries to control people.

An Yes, I presuppose the Bible in what I believe and you presuppose it is not true.

This is the main problem & limiting belief towards us. Maybe it's true for some here. But as far as I'm concerned, I presuppose nothing. I took the Bible for what it was & learned primarily through the study of it and history that it isn't what it claims to be.

I've treated you with respect, but you have not lived up to the ethic you preach.

Just make sure you're not grouping everyone into that statement.

Of course, their were ethics before the Bible. We have a God conscienceness and a sense of right and wrong. Adam and Eve knew right and wrong, but they chose to not believe God and be autonomous.

It's sounds like you're applying Bible logic & history to the world before the Bible existed. Am I understanding you right here?

Most people on this site are trying to be autonomous. Non religion sounds so nice, non violence is the way to go. No one and I mean no one has answered the question of how we know right and wrong. It's been either subjective feelings or dogmatic escape from pain.

That's still being too one-dimensional. It's not this or that, one or the other. It's through indepth analysis of all the facts, situation, and the people involved that will tweak how you deal with a situation. It's not about absolutes. Sure, no one knows right or wrong completely, because it's so subjective. It's not always kill or be killed, and it's not always hit first or turn the other cheek. There's a pacific ocean of grey area out there.

Well, if I "feel" like shooting someone then that is appropriate under your philosophy. Now, you say no, that can't be.

I pretty much dealt with this above. Though, your saying it shows to me that you're looking at a non-religious lifestyle as being all or nothing, which, as I've said, is hardly the truth.

That is the point! You can not distinguish right and wrong because what is right for you is different may be different for me. Well, I've heard, whatever does not bring pain. You can not know what pain is wrong without an absolute.

Here it is once again- absolute, black & white. I'm saying an absolute doesn't have to exist, and in fact shouldn't exist in order to achieve the greatest good for all parties involved. If I dealt with you in an absolutist manner then I would likely be calling you a babbling idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about. But that's hardly appropriate. Because what's right is in a different place than that.

How do you know, how do you know? No one answers this. They can't! They get frustrated because I've exposed their illogical thinking.

Okay. Now that I've clarified it a bit above. I'll say it point blank. I AGREE, roughly. :)

It's very difficult to know for sure what is right & wrong. But you do the best you can in a given situation with the given circumstances. And react as appropriately as you think you can.

What they do is go is spew a bunch of misinterepreted Bible verses and say look, God is evil. They don't answer the questions.

Indeed. There is a lot of anger around here, and I'm greatly sorry for it. The reason though there's so much anger around here is because there's a lot of hurt. Many people on here have been hurt by Christianity and they tend to be very curt & harsh with people who still believe in what hurt them.

If you beleive in a god he would not cause pain, again you can't know how to define pain unless their is a standard.

So we're clear, plenty of people here believe that a God of some form exists, just not the Biblical God.

And as far as pain, there are standards out there, and you don't have to use a God to define them.

What are you doing? Spreading love on this site, yeah right

Not being very nice right now that's for sure; Presuming that we are just hang on this sight doing nothing to improve the status of the world & humanity. You barely know anything about the people around here.

If I am wrong, I live a great life helping people be all they can be.

Awesome! If you're contributing to the world, wonderful! By all means keep up the good work.

And if you do subside in your negativity, I'll be happy to give you more praises for the good you do.

So be it. :)

I did not call you a liar. Well, perhaps from your perspective, I did, and I apologize for the impression.

I was trying to point out the inherant flaw with tossing Hitler's name in along with Darwin. It is invalid because Darwin created the theory and can hardly be help accountable for it's misuse by certain persons. Hitler used everything he could to acheive his ends. He used everything. Why the Jews after all? Because according to the christian belief of the people he sought to control, the jews were responsible for the death of Jesus. He used christianity to justify the holocaust too. And to fail in representing that fact does a disservice to the truth. It makes a point of view badly one sided. Black and White. It creates absolutes where none truly exist.

I understand there are people who need absolutes for their lives to have meaning, or at least they think they do. People want certainty in their lives. Absolutes do give them that, but at what cost to those who see things differently?

Weather you ever read this or not is your choice. But I will say again that we are not gods. I'm still not sure why you would think this, because my criteria for the supreme being is different. And yes, I do believe there is a god, it is religion I don't believe in.

I quoted Hitler. So you come back and spouted out a bunch of stuff to put down Christianity. I agree with you dude.

Please point to us where you mentioned about Xtianity's influence on Hitler

If by looking skeptically at your claims, means "putting down christianity", then yes, then my intention was to put down christianity.

Hitler was also influenced by Luther and his interpretation of the Bible to me was wrong.

There we have it the classic no true scotsman fallacy. What makes your interpretation of the bible the correct one?

Hitler and Luther was just as much a Christian as you claim to be one.

Just because he was influnced by his crooked interpretation of the Bible does not negate he was influenced by Darwin and Nietzsche also.

His "crooked" interpretation of the bible came from reading the anti semitic verses in the bible.

In the NT the jews are potrayed as God meddlers, and killer of God. According Hitler he was doing Christ a favor by destroying everyone "who was against christ" and getting rid of the "anti-christs".

I agree with Augustine when he said, you can not judge a philosophy by it's abuses.

And by bringing in Darwind and Nietzche and linking him to Hitler, you were doing exactly that. :Wendywhatever:

What happens when the philosphy itself promotes abuse, as in the case of christianity?

It's been abused all through history. No doubt about it and I can admit it.

And apparently the christian god doesn't even care when people kill in his name.

Why did he fail to protect the innocent, when they were being killed in his name?He did protect the Isrealites against the pharoah didn't he, by bringing down a pillar of fire?Did he run of the fuel when it came to protect these innocent people?

That is not what Christ had in mind. An Yes, I presuppose the Bible in what I believe and you presuppose it is not true.

No one knows what was Christ mind. All we have is your speculation that the 4 gospel stories that made it into the Bible accurately reflect the teachings of a person called "Jesus".

Who decided which writings would be included in the Bible and how was it decided?

As I said, I look at the bible skeptically just as I look at the quran skeptically. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, if I "feel" like shooting someone then that is appropriate under your philosophy.

Did you ever read what people said?

Even heard about the Golden "Rule", it existed long before the bible, and every religion has it. Even a four year old can come with that rule.

SHARED BELIEF IN THE "GOLDEN RULE":Ethics of Reciprocity

If you "feel" like shooting someone, be ready to be shot.

If you "feel" like cheating on your wife, be ready to be cheated on.

The Laws of Life and secular morality

You can not distinguish right and wrong because what is right for you is different may be different for me. Well, I've heard, whatever does not bring pain. You can not know what pain is wrong without an absolute.

Neither does the bible can provide those absolutes. Christians like you, pick and choose the parts of the bible they like and then they declare them to be "absolutes". According to the bible it is morally right to enslave another nation.

The 10 commandments are supposed to represent some of those absolutes, yet christians continously break the one of them on every Sunday. We call such people "hypocrates".

How do you know, how do you know? No one answers this. They can't! They get frustrated because I've exposed their illogical thinking.

People had answered your question. You didn't expose any illogical thinking, what you did was build strawmans, which is very dishonest :nono: .

What they do is go is spew a bunch of misinterepreted Bible verses and say look, God is evil. They don't answer the questions.

And naturally, anyone who fails to reach the same conclusion as yours, about what is "true interpretation" will end up in a place called hell.

There are hundreds of Christian demoninations which can't even agree with each other on basic Bible tenents.

The following quote sums up all this rhetoric about "revealed truth".

SCRIPTURES--"The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based." -Ambrose Bierce

Stop playing the "victim" game here.

You came here and asked a question. Do you think people would sit back and take your BS.

And who exactly is threatening you?

I realize Christians can suck sometimes and they can piss people off.

Where is the HS to correct them? If christians are just as bad as non-christians, that shows that there is nothing special about this religion.

I have not said this up to this point, but I am a minister and I put up with these people. Even the Bible said, the church is a whore, but it still is the bride of Christ.

Who really, I always the though the nation of Isreal, was the bride of the OT God?

What make you think your church is not whoring around?

But you tried to bring in your biblical theology in the discussion. So why should we not expose your flawed theology.

It also did not evolve in us. I think it is a higher power, the God of the Bible.

His absoluteness implies he is eternal, his knowledge is perfect. If there was a limitation, then it would be conceivable to think of a reality without Christian God. Nothing is doable if Christain God can not do it, for if something were, its doability would be measured by a standard other than Chrisitain God.

You can read whatever you want, but doesn't make the bible true. The bible has been altered by men, and the proof is right there in front of you

There are no troubling passages, these passages as just sheer nonsense.

What makes you think the writers of the books of the bible did not put their personal spin in the writings?

And yes, the Christian God couldn't care less. All he wants is worship.

And was it right?

And yet David was praised for never doing evil (1 Sam 25-28) being an angel of God (2 Sam.

19:27),

If what he did was never evil and he represents God somehow, then please take your God away from me.

Jesus never even sat on the throne. So I don't how you can call him "King"

Like I don't know from the OT Law, king David should have died for his sin. Instead of a physical death, his emotional torture was worse.

After his adultery and murder, his family was a tragedy.

So why did the son need to suffer for the sins fo their father. Can't you see the hypocrasy?The Christian God bends the rule according to the situation. Why didn't he do the same with the man who broke the sabbath?

If you beleive in a god he would not cause pain, again you can't know how to define pain unless their is a standard.

Pinch yourself, and you will find the standard. And now imagine that pain 10000 more and now put eternity in it, and viola you have "hell"

We have 5000 writings of the Bible and everyone challenges it.

Of which there is so many discrepancies.

The New Testament is Not Variant Free

Besides, a high preponderance of manuscripts guarantee the textual integrity of the document but it does not provide any weightage whatsoever for the factual veracity of its contents.

Muslims have much more manuscripts and less discrepencies, than you guys. Does that make "the quran" true?

iIt makes us stronger and it is here to stay. Jesus said, I will build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail. It grows and grows and you can't stop it. Love will prevail, next week my organiztion will take over 5000 people to New Orleans to help rebuild some people's lives. We will feed them, cloth them and give them shelter.

You think secular organisation are not doing anything. Gee I don't think you been following the news.

I hope your motives behind helping these people is purely philantrophic. I hope you don't expect a reward from your god for this.

but now I see why you can be right and I'm wrong. You are a god.

Strawman again. No one is saying that we are completely right and you are fully wrong. We are saying it's somewhere in the middle

In short, Stooch you raised Hitler, you were countered by more knowledgeable members who know the Hitler works and quotations well. And you resorted to judgemental attitude and high-looking-down-at-low statements: “I am a Christian, you are not. I spread love, you do not. I do charity, you do not.”

It is very tempting to cross that line, and I am sorry that you did cross it.

Your works of charity shall be appreciated, but the pride out of “I do good works” has befallen you.

Jesus said, “"And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others.” (Matthew 6). You made known your charity to use it to trump us.

You failed not us, you failed your God, and yourself.

Bottom line, stooch, you came here, acted like a hypocrite, waved around your Jesus-belief and blew your own horn - all things your own holy book forbids. And yet you expect to convert us by this behavior? Or impress your god, who clearly demands you do not boast of charitable acts?

Now that you've gotten your ass handed to you, try to get off the high horse and not assume all sorts of nonsense about people you don't even know.

To mention the Bable and Ethics in the same sentence is like trying to mix reality television with religion. It just doesn't work............ :begood:

You all may not be violent physically, but to use your term. The "negative energy" from some of you is filled with anger, bitterness and if words could kill, you would kill me.

I am not filled with anger, bitterness and negativity. What I am filled with is pity -- pity for xians and whiners that come on here to prove their points and really don't lend anything to the conversations but a bunch of bullshit which is nonsensical and supreme stupidity. :loser:

We're here to talk about things that mean (or not mean) something. So please, be as so kind to keep your comments to a constructive nature. That way, you will not burst into flames when I read your posts. :close:

Thanks for your cooperation... Have a nice day.... :twitch:

I feel so sorry for you. Every word in your post, and what you are ranting about with your ego, is the EXACT thing Jesus was against. You are prideful, boastful and arrogant. Do I need to pull up some verses from Jesus and show you the error of your ways? I will discuss them with you if you wish.

And, I did answer your question here and many others did too but you did not respond. Why? Was there a certain answer you were looking for but did not receive? You will only find what you seek.

Matter of fact there are few people on this site who were never Christians at all, the only one I know of is Asimov, he has always been an atheist.

And me