Goodbye Jesus

What exactly is worship?

LeiaBryant

I read this recently and thought I would share it here to hear all of your opinions.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/panmankey/2020/06/worship-is-more-than-words-offerings/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=BRSS&utm_campaign=Pagan&utm_content=430

What do you think qualifies as worship? I am curious what y'all think. Edit typo

I think intent determines what qualifies as worship. If a person intends to be in a worshiping state of mind, then I think they are worshipping by some definition of the word worship. 

• Thanks 1

I thought the article did a good overview of what it means. Not much to add, except that it come from who you are to the one you worship. When I visited a shaman in the area of Sedona, she said to bring some items from home: water, ground, plants. Not a lot, just something. So I brought something from the nature around my home, and from my garden since I put myself into growing the plants. It was an offering to the local area, my nature touching the nature there. Simple, but meaningful. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Fuego said:

I thought the article did a good overview of what it means. Not much to add, except that it come from who you are to the one you worship. When I visited a shaman in the area of Sedona, she said to bring some items from home: water, ground, plants. Not a lot, just something. So I brought something from the nature around my home, and from my garden since I put myself into growing the plants. It was an offering to the local area, my nature touching the nature there. Simple, but meaningful. 

I think I might learn to grow stuff outside in my back yard. Any suggestions for what to try first? I want something easy that is hard to eff up.

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

I think intent determines what qualifies as worship. If a person intends to be in a worshiping state of mind, then I think they are worshipping by some definition of the word worship. 

Music does put me in the mood to worship my Goddess. Stuff like this: https://youtu.be/HmpiqxHRrzs
So I kind of understand what you mean by state of mind. I guess the music itself is my primary form of worship.

@Joshpantera what do you think worship is definitonally?

19 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

@Joshpantera what do you think worship is definitonally?

I'd say that worship began with nature paganism. Animism seems to have been around before deity worship according to the archaeological record. Such as the ancient bear cult. The definitions in the article look true enough. Revering something with respect and adoration. It's pretty clear to me that worship in judeo-christianity only exist's because of the pagan and polytheistic worship which necessarily existed before judaism, informed judaism, and then evolved within judaism to eventually become a monotheistic form of worship. From there, monotheistic worship born out of polytheistic paganism went on to inform christianity and another 1,000 years later or so, islam. 

The idea of worshiping god at church in and of itself, flows out of pagan deity worship. The god of judaism, is in fact a pagan deity born out of a pantheon of near eastern deities. That's a fact that many christians would love to excuse and pretend didn't exist. I've seen a few youtube apologist's try. 

My deeper thoughts on worship is that it's been mind oriented the entire time. Through the entire evolution in religious and magickal practice. Some people are oblivious to the mind factor. Others recognize it. The reason that it's been frowned upon in more recent times by a lot of esoteric's, is because people in mass have sort of grown out of the groveling aspect of deity worship. They tend to forego that aspect of the practice. And don't believe that a deity is literally true. They will do rituals based on an awareness that the ritual is just fluff for what they are attempting to do with the power of their own minds. 

12 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

I think I might learn to grow stuff outside in my back yard. Any suggestions for what to try first? I want something easy that is hard to eff up.

At the time I did this, I only had room for some clay pots instead of a full-fledged garden. I usually do rosemary, thyme, sage, and basil. Basil gets eaten by bugs the most, the others are hardy. They are great for cooking. Little snips go into a stew or salad. 

9 hours ago, Fuego said:

At the time I did this, I only had room for some clay pots instead of a full-fledged garden. I usually do rosemary, thyme, sage, and basil. Basil gets eaten by bugs the most, the others are hardy. They are great for cooking. Little snips go into a stew or salad. 

Thanks I will look into it

10 hours ago, Joshpantera said:

I'd say that worship began with nature paganism. Animism seems to have been around before deity worship according to the archaeological record. Such as the ancient bear cult. The definitions in the article look true enough. Revering something with respect and adoration. It's pretty clear to me that worship in judeo-christianity only exist's because of the pagan and polytheistic worship which necessarily existed before judaism, informed judaism, and then evolved within judaism to eventually become a monotheistic form of worship. From there, monotheistic worship born out of polytheistic paganism went on to inform christianity and another 1,000 years later or so, islam. 

The idea of worshiping god at church in and of itself, flows out of pagan deity worship. The god of judaism, is in fact a pagan deity born out of a pantheon of near eastern deities. That's a fact that many christians would love to excuse and pretend didn't exist. I've seen a few youtube apologist's try. 

My deeper thoughts on worship is that it's been mind oriented the entire time. Through the entire evolution in religious and magickal practice. Some people are oblivious to the mind factor. Others recognize it. The reason that it's been frowned upon in more recent times is because people in mass have sort of grown out of the groveling aspect of deity worship in esoteric circles. They tend to forego that aspect of the practice. And don't believe that a deity is literally true. They will do rituals based on an awareness that the ritual fluff for what they are attempting to do with the power of their own minds. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. The things you write are usually fascinating and this is no exception.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator
On 6/15/2020 at 8:43 PM, LeiaBryant said:

Peas are usually pretty easy, snow peas or sugar snaps.  Bush beans practically grow themselves and come in a rainbow of colors.  Cucumbers are also easy; but they'll want a trellis to grow on.  If you have a shady spot, garlic and ginger would both be good choices.  I love making my own ginger ale from fresh, homegrown ginger.

12 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I love making my own ginger ale from fresh, homegrown ginger

I just made a batch the other day, though I haven't grown my own (no room for a garden now). I also make ginger tea by simmering the sliced-up roots in water for about 40 min. Made a few gallons last weekend that I keep in the fridge. 

• Super Moderator
2 hours ago, Fuego said:

I just made a batch the other day, though I haven't grown my own (no room for a garden now). I also make ginger tea by simmering the sliced-up roots in water for about 40 min. Made a few gallons last weekend that I keep in the fridge. 

I've done homemade root beer before; and was able to source many of the ingredients in the forests around the farm.  I prefer ginger ale, though.  It's much more simple and straightforward. 

• Super Moderator

Forms of worship are rather individual in nature. One imagines a deity and then gives that entity all the credit for things people accomplish on their own. Much thanks is given for being allowed to exist and people prostrate themselves, literally and figuratively, as obedient subjects to their all powerful ruler.

Primitive nature religions don't generally do all that genuflecting but still give credit to something other than themselves whenever something goes their way or they accomplish a goal. Symbolic and actual sacrifice plays a part in all of them.

Glory to the gods!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Good article. 

"Even if your worship is a private thing, it brings you closer to your Gods and that will cause you to bring Their values and virtues into the world, to one extent or another."

This can be a good thing, depending. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It seems to me a form of symbolic reenactment of child parent, child adults in the tribe,  relationship. At least there is a resemblance.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 12:21 PM, Myrkhoos said:

It seems to me a form of symbolic reenactment of child parent, child adults in the tribe,  relationship. At least there is a resemblance.

That kind of applies to me. Just as Christians have a heavenly father ,my Goddess is my heavenly mother.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:25 PM, midniterider said:

Good article. 

"Even if your worship is a private thing, it brings you closer to your Gods and that will cause you to bring Their values and virtues into the world, to one extent or another."

This can be a good thing, depending. 

So what values and virtues would Inanna provide me?

On 6/18/2020 at 6:53 PM, florduh said:

Forms of worship are rather individual in nature. One imagines a deity and then gives that entity all the credit for things people accomplish on their own. Much thanks is given for being allowed to exist and people prostrate themselves, literally and figuratively, as obedient subjects to their all powerful ruler.

Primitive nature religions don't generally do all that genuflecting but still give credit to something other than themselves whenever something goes their way or they accomplish a goal. Symbolic and actual sacrifice plays a part in all of them.

Glory to the gods!

Do you think polytheism is primitive? 

• Super Moderator
6 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Do you think polytheism is primitive? 

It did come first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

So what values and virtues would Inanna provide me?

According to Wikipedia, justice would be the primary one for you...imo

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 11:32 AM, midniterider said:

According to Wikipedia, justice would be the primary one for you...imo

Justice is something I want to have .

On 7/24/2020 at 11:18 AM, florduh said:

It did come first.

Far enough but I don't think that's the same as primitive

• Super Moderator
3 hours ago, LeiaBryant said:

Far enough but I don't think that's the same as primitive

Yes, actually that's what it means. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.