Goodbye Jesus

Open Club  ·  34 members  ·  Rules

OPINE CLUB

MORAL EVOLUTION, POLITICS, DEMOCRACY

Weezer

Watching the political situation in the USA the past few years has left me with a question.  Have we as a nation morally evolved to the point that we can have a healthy democracy?  It seems that autocratic minded people are gaining power and a lot of people are falling for their promises of "saving" the masses.  Too many in the "masses" are not thinking logically and rationally.  Many are like sheep, following loud mouthed, self assured, power hungry shepards.  Do we have enough logical minded, rational thinking people to save our democracy??

Do you see a problem?  If so, how do we fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Weezer,  I’ve been on vacation for a couple of weeks and mostly avoided social media etc so I’m just now starting to get caught up.  I’m a little surprised there have been zero responses but I guess I shouldn’t be.  It’s so easy for political discussions to get bitter these days especially, even among the smart, articulate members of this community.  Plus I think a lot of people have tuned out politics out of frustration and disillusionment.  

As an optimist however, I think we can have a worthwhile discussion if we work at it.  I’m going to gather my thoughts a bit and then I’ll offer my opinion for what it’s worth.  Just wanted to let you know I appreciate you bringing this up and that I’ll do my best to promote an intelligent and respectful conversation…

• Like 1

On 6/10/2023 at 12:33 AM, Weezer said:

Do we have enough logical minded, rational thinking people to save our democracy??

Do you see a problem?  If so, how do we fix it?

This is the first I've seen this. I think I'm gonna have to follow you Weezer so your posts wind up in my notifications, I would of definitely replied to this. 

I've been reflecting quite angrily at times about these very questions. 

So in my opinion firstly I don't think we have enough rational minded logical people  right now. For the most part it isn't their fault tho. It is the bipolar biased media we have in this country. There are two extremes in the media. Either extreme left or extreme right. The people (like sheep as you said) are basically indoctrinated to listen to whatever party line is dominate in their areas. Who their parents voted for, or friends and acquaintances etc. At one point in time this two party system worked. For years and years it worked. So people developed these biases that were actually ok back then. 

But both parties have been horribly corrupted now. Greed has seeped into every facet of our political system. Everyone should be asking themselves why our politicians go in as average people into a comfortable salary of 200k or so and end up being multimillionaires. Or why people like Senator Feinstein who is almost at deaths door insists on continuing in such poor health that she has to have a team of aides just to keep her cognitive of what is going on. It isn't like if she stepped down another much more healthy and sound minded Democrat wouldn't take her place. Her state isn't going to have enough majority to vote a republican in. So why not step down for health reasons? Its past time. 

I have my theories why they get so rich. I've heard some of the "official" explanations. But I don't believe them. I don't particularly like Trump but this is what made Trump appealing. He was already a billionaire of his own making. No one could bribe him or pay him off. I hear that very often from people in my area. 

But corruption and political greed aside, I believe the two parties have both used these political biases ingrained in the American mind to drive a wedge between us. Keep us so fearful of the other party with these extreme ideologies that we are afraid to vote for something new. 

Which brings me to what I think could be a solution. But both parties have actively suppressed the possibility my whole life, a viable THIRD PARTY. 

A viable third party with more middle of the road ideas would force the other two parties to change their values. But to do that people are going to have to quit towing the party line and vote for them. If people really want change they need to send a message to our politicians that we don't like either of their messages. I think voting third party is the only way the other two parties will actually listen. But fighting political indoctrination is just as hard as fighting religious indoctrination. 

DB

• Like 1

On 6/22/2023 at 10:40 AM, DarkBishop said:

But fighting political indoctrination is just as hard as fighting religious indoctrination. 

How very true!  The area where I live in Kansas we have three congressmen in Washington.  All are Republican.  One is a rational conservative who listens to reason, and does not support Trump, but will not be open about it for political reasons.  The other 2 are radical MAGA fans and one is radical Christian.  Writing to them, which I do frequently, is like water off a ducks back. A third party might help that.  Or NO PARTY AT ALL.  Every man/woman runs on his/her own merit.  Stop the division that "parties" bring. 

And looking at the broad scheme of things, higher education and critical thinking in education is being downplayed and replaced by conservative indoctrination.  I heard recently that our newest "religion" is capitalism that keeps the 1% wealthy and in control.  And they profit from division and wars, so they like to keep the chaos going.

On 6/22/2023 at 6:08 AM, TABA said:

I’ve been on vacation for a couple of weeks and mostly avoided social media etc so I’m just now starting to get caught up.  I’m a little surprised there have been zero responses but I guess I shouldn’t be.  It’s so easy for political discussions to get bitter these days especially, even among the smart, articulate members of this community.  Plus I think a lot of people have tuned out politics out of frustration and disillusionment.  

I also took a weeks vacation and stayed away from the news.  Sometimes you just have to get away from it.  

I am hoping the sensible people are simply being quiet, but will come out and vote in the elections.  The news thrives on all the radicals, so hopefully we are gotting a distorted view of what the majority are thinking??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.