Goodbye Jesus

What Movies Helped You In Your Deconversion?

NeverAgainV

Marjoe. This movie + the accompanying biography are the sole reason I went from half hearted Calvinist to atheist.

http://video.google....629120699935619

I've heard of Marjoe, did a little research a while ago on him. Glad to see he got away from the BS

I admire anyone who gets away from it & pursues a career as an actor (most preachers are just that...& usually BAD at it)

Sam Kinnison...damn he had talent. so glad he left the preaching & went on to a more honorable career.

To make people laugh...how awesome, so much better than "damning people with the good news".

I know everything about Marjoe

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I started questioning my beliefs after watching The Ten Commandments, Cecil B. Demills version. Not really sure why but even as young as I was it made me curious.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

The Wizard of Oz.

Why should any great all-powerful wizard/god demand the impossible from those who desperately need his help?

• Like 1

Marjoe. This movie + the accompanying biography are the sole reason I went from half hearted Calvinist to atheist.

http://video.google....629120699935619

I had never heard of Marjoe before. Watching it now!

• Like 1

It didn't really help with my deconversion, but I love Saved!. Awesome film.

• Like 1

Bridge to Terabithia

There's one line from that movie that hit me so hard...

“You have to believe it and you hate it. I don't have to and I think it's beautiful.”

I know what you mean, that one line in the movie that is like an epiphany (maybe that's not the right word..)

I LOVE it when I see a movie & that happens.

It didn't really help with my deconversion, but I love Saved!. Awesome film.

That movie made me mad at the time. Oh, I hated the reality thrown in my face! :)

• Like 1

Their was a line in Breaking Bad that hit me like an arrow, when Walter White says "I am awake" after Jesse asks why the change.

Yes!

Harry Potter & the Order of the Phoenix http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373889/

the Professor Umbridge character is one we probably would all recognize

post-19757-0-16604200-1338138762_thumb.jpg

OMG - *THAT'S* why I hate the bitch so much... LOL

• Like 1

Lovely Professor Dolores Umbridge

professor_umbridge2.jpg

dolores_umbridge1.jpg

Dolores Umbridge represents all those fuddy duddy, self righteous & controlling folks that we all knew....

& unfortunately maybe some of us were.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The very first movie that came to my mind when I read the thread title was "Jurassic Park." I remember its tagline "An adventure 65 million years in the making" really drove home to me the fact that the science on evolution and the age of the earth really had been settled. There was just something unsettling to me that no one was talking about whether that might be a controversial statement. It would be another decade before I would leave the faith, but that movie's promotional material was, oddly enough, a milestone for me.

• Like 1

Not so musch a movie that helped, but one scene I see completely different now is the one from Star Trek V where Kirk says, "What does God need with a starship?" Now I think about that every time I see tele-evangelists and remember they all have private jets.

What does God need with a starship?

Kirk: What does God need with a starship?

McCoy: Jim, what are you doing?

Kirk: I'm asking a question.

"God": Who is this creature?

Kirk: Who am I? Don't you know? Aren't you God?

Sybok: He has his doubts.

"God": You doubt me?

Kirk: I seek proof.

McCoy: Jim! You don't ask the Almighty for his ID!

"God": Then here is the proof you seek.

[Hits Kirk with lightning]

Kirk: Why is God angry?

Sybok: Why? Why have you done this to my friend?

"God": He doubts me.

Spock: You have not answered his question. What does God need with a starship?

"God": [hits Spock with lightning; then addresses McCoy] Do you doubt me?

McCoy: I doubt any God who inflicts pain for his own pleasure.

• Like 3

Zaphod, the dinosaur stuff made me really wonder, but somehow I shut down my brain to "accept" the "truth". ugh. so glad to have finally "seen the light!" biggrin.png

Scarfwearer, STAR TREK!! Yes! shit...I had to rewatch all of the old episodes after I left the bible cult. I LOVED watching it as a kid & my siblings were all into it...but then I joined the damned bible cult...

and goodbye to so many enjoyments like innocent "Star Trek". I love the simple stories, many of the episodes address superstitions & mindlessly "obeying".

Thanks for reminding me how great Star Trek is!

-original-series-mr-spock.jpg

Little Miss Sunshine.....if you haven't seen this movie, do yourself a favor & see it!

little-miss-sunshine1.jpg little-miss-sunshine 2.jpg LMS3.jpg

Dwayne: You know what? Fuck beauty contests. Life is one fucking beauty contest after another. School, then college, then work... Fuck that.... You do what you love, and f**k the rest!

• Like 3

Girl, Interrupted and the History Channel, 'nuff said.

• Like 1

Girl, Interrupted and the History Channel, 'nuff said.

Nat Geo is good too.....2 shows that are very interesting, "Amish, out of order" & "The Hutterites". These shows are about outliers..some crazy stuff.Wendycrazy.gif

Really more of a mocumentary than a movie per se, but I found Religulous to be both funny and interesting.

YES.

"So, you know beyond any doubt you're going to heaven?"

"Yes, absolutely."

"So why don't you kill yourself?"

"....."

Anyway, am I the only one stunned by the fact that Life of Brian hasn't been brought up? Pretty much the whole thing is all about making fun of religion.

"What did he say?"

"Blessed are the cheese makers."

"What's so special about them?"

"It's supposed to be figurative. He means all dairy producers!"

• Like 3

Really more of a mocumentary than a movie per se, but I found Religulous to be both funny and interesting.

YES.

"So, you know beyond any doubt you're going to heaven?"

"Yes, absolutely."

"So why don't you kill yourself?"

"....."

Anyway, am I the only one stunned by the fact that Life of Brian hasn't been brought up? Pretty much the whole thing is all about making fun of religion.

"What did he say?"

"Blessed are the cheese makers."

"What's so special about them?"

"It's supposed to be figurative. He means all dairy producers!"

My dad was a "Monty Pythons Flying Circus" lover....& so I saw many of the shows as a child. LOVE them! However, Life of Brian is one movie I never saw. Being in the cult almost 2 decades I

stayed away from most movies that I heard put "religion" in a bad light. I have some making up to do & I'm going to have to see Life of Brian.

Before I joined the bible cult I always laughed so hard when MPFC would do skits on the ...."The Bishop!"

those guys are awesome!montypythonreligious1.jpg monty_python_god_jpeg.jpg

The Life of Brian by Monty Python was a huge help. I love that movie. Look at all of those people following Brian around and calling him the Messiah... Taking every little thing he said as a huge sign. It really makes me wonder if that is what happened with Christianity! It sure feels like it sometimes. Maybe it's just generations of people misinterpreting things and writing it down!

The Life of Brian made me see that it is possible that people can misinterpret things that can spawn whole religions. It helped me to see that maybe I wasn't crazy for doubting.

The cast of Monty Python really dug into the research for that movie. If you watch some of their interviews on Youtube as a de-converting Christian, it just blows your mind. I watched one debate where John Cleese and Michael Palin faced off against Malcolm Muggeridge and Mervyn Stockwood. I was shocked at how petty and stupid the religious leaders were. They didn't debate on the issue at all. They just... Attacked Cleese and Palin personally and said their movie was bad. Micheal Palin actually seemed hurt. It was sad to see such a nice man upset. It was a real eye opener.

• Like 1

The Life of Brian by Monty Python was a huge help. I love that movie. Look at all of those people following Brian around and calling him the Messiah... Taking every little thing he said as a huge sign. It really makes me wonder if that is what happened with Christianity! It sure feels like it sometimes. Maybe it's just generations of people misinterpreting things and writing it down!

The Life of Brian made me see that it is possible that people can misinterpret things that can spawn whole religions. It helped me to see that maybe I wasn't crazy for doubting.

The cast of Monty Python really dug into the research for that movie. If you watch some of their interviews on Youtube as a de-converting Christian, it just blows your mind. I watched one debate where John Cleese and Michael Palin faced off against Malcolm Muggeridge and Mervyn Stockwood. I was shocked at how petty and stupid the religious leaders were. They didn't debate on the issue at all. They just... Attacked Cleese and Palin personally and said their movie was bad. Micheal Palin actually seemed hurt. It was sad to see such a nice man upset. It was a real eye opener.

When I was still a christian, my boyfriend (who was just a friend at the time.. I couldn't date a nonbeliever!!!) showed me a clip of Life of Brian. It made me sick to my stomach, because it was so irreverent and disrespectful towards xianity. Now I really want to watch it!!

• Like 1

When I was still a christian, my boyfriend (who was just a friend at the time.. I couldn't date a nonbeliever!!!) showed me a clip of Life of Brian. It made me sick to my stomach, because it was so irreverent and disrespectful towards xianity. Now I really want to watch it!!

It upset me too for the first time, because I didn't understand. However, if you actually read up about the movie and watch what Monty Python says about it... It just makes so much sense. It's great and a lot funnier "on the other side of the fence". I highly recommend it! Also, the guys in Monty Python didn't feel the same way about the movie. While Graham Chapman and Terry Jones were actually attacking religion, Cleese and Palin didn't exactly feel as if they were. Very interesting.

It upset me too for the first time, because I didn't understand. However, if you actually read up about the movie and watch what Monty Python says about it... It just makes so much sense. It's great and a lot funnier "on the other side of the fence". I highly recommend it! Also, the guys in Monty Python didn't feel the same way about the movie. While Graham Chapman and Terry Jones were actually attacking religion, Cleese and Palin didn't exactly feel as if they were. Very interesting.

That is really interesting. I cant wait to see it! :)

Even as a believer, I was never offended by movies like "Life of Brian." I laughed and thought, "Ha, yeah, we deserve that..." But that was as far as it went.

The Matrix has all new meaning for me now, though it was always one of my favorites. I think a couple others that are great metaphors and/or have new meaning that haven't been mentioned yet are (at least for me): Equilibrium, Good Will Hunting, and (ironically) even the Narnia movies. Oh, and Firefly. You just have to fit Firefly in there somewhere, because it's awesome.

• Like 2

Even as a believer, I was never offended by movies like "Life of Brian." I laughed and thought, "Ha, yeah, we deserve that..." But that was as far as it went.

The Matrix has all new meaning for me now, though it was always one of my favorites. I think a couple others that are great metaphors and/or have new meaning that haven't been mentioned yet are (at least for me): Equilibrium, Good Will Hunting, and (ironically) even the Narnia movies. Oh, and Firefly. You just have to fit Firefly in there somewhere, because it's awesome.

When I was a Catholic those types of movies were not offensive to me. But in my mid 20's after joining a strict bible cult.....things changed. Basically the humor & joy got sucked right out of my life.

Everything was always so damn serious...God & his minister (the pastor) was one angry mother fucker that you didn't want to offend watching a movie that would dare to question, doubt or make fun of the bible, god or his religion. sick.gif

Sheesh! So glad to have my senses back!happydance.gif I have a lot of movies to catch up on!! happy.pngsmile.png