Goodbye Jesus

The Pain You Cause

Guest sweetcakes

And that's what I believe. So, respect that, please...

I see what you did there.

I'm a Apatheist, this has nothing to do with me, but with other people that feel that way. ( why are you talking for them for? Blahblahblah ) at the end of the day someone had to say it. *shrugs*

I think it is good to call for more civil and polite treatment of people.  It's a good thing to encourage.

I think that it's good to remind people that other people are hurting and deserve patience and respect.  I also think that the neopositivism in atheist circles can get a bit thick.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

• Like 1

Guest sweetcakes

I'm a Apatheist, this has nothing to do with me, but with other people that feel that way. ( why are you talking for them for? Blahblahblah ) at the end of the day someone had to say it. *shrugs*

I think it is good to call for more civil and polite treatment of people.  It's a good thing to encourage.

And that's what I'm trying to do, I'm not forcing anyone into doing something they don't want to do or whatever, and if it came off that way, that's my own doing and sorry for that. At the end of the day, it all comes down to choice. Should have picked my words more carefully. I'm trying to encourage, not force. If it came off that way, once again, my fault and I'm sorry. Don't expect me to debate, I'm not much of a debater. I simply just don't enjoy having someone tell me how they don't feel welcomed because of his/her view.

Guest sweetcakes

I think that it's good to remind people that other people are hurting and deserve patience and respect.  I also think that the neopositivism in atheist circles can get a bit thick.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

^^^^^

People deserve respect, but not beliefs. Anger is a part of the deconversion process and here at Ex-C we are free to express that or just about anything else we need to in order to process thoughts and emotions and get free from Christian belief. Ten years ago or so, I had a popular website where I regularly ridiculed Christians and Christian beliefs. This was my favorite pic to represent fundies:

countryhick.jpg

Was I right to attack Christians as people and to characterize them as morons because they held Christian beliefs? Probably not. But it was fun at the time and it was a much-needed outlet for not just the anger but the BLISTERING RAGE I felt when I discovered that I had devoted 15 years of my life to a pack of ancient myths and lies. I am past feeling the need to ridicule Christians as people as morons, but I don't apologize for it. I will still publicly call them out as assholes if they deserve it.

I try hard to respect PEOPLE, but I am not going to give respect to ridiculous beliefs. If someone tells me that the world is as it is because a talking snake convinced two ancient (and obviously mythical) people to eat magic fruit from a magic tree, they had better be prepared to back that belief up with evidence and facts, or the ridicule is going to begin. Same goes if someone tries to tell me that God had to sacrifice Himself to Himself to save us from Himself because of such a ridiculous alleged event. I will bash ridiculous Christian beliefs all day long without apology, and I will do so laughing my ass off. Bashing religion is fun! Glory!

I am all for respecting PEOPLE as fellow human beings, but their beliefs, if they are ridiculous in my opinion, I will bash all day long without apology.

My 2 cents... Glory!

• Like 1

Damn I miss Grandpa Harley and the days therein. 

• Like 4

• Super Moderator

Nice is nice and all that, but keep in mind that many people here are damaged and many more are just angry after being mired in religion. Those who cross the line here are reprimanded, given vacations or banned entirely. As in real life, there are some people who walk on eggshells in fear they might offend someone, others are direct and to the point, and yet others are somewhat rude by nature. You won't always deal with people who agree with you, and you won't always be talking to politically correct and polite people. Reality dictates that you just need to learn to deal with things not always going as you wish they would and others who won't always behave to your standards of propriety. This site has a purpose, it's not a chat room where we discuss the latest Hello Kitty merchandise.

And that's what I'm trying to do, I'm not forcing anyone into doing something they don't want to do or whatever, and if it came off that way, that's my own doing and sorry for that. At the end of the day, it all comes down to choice. Should have picked my words more carefully. I'm trying to encourage, not force. If it came off that way, once again, my fault and I'm sorry. Don't expect me to debate, I'm not much of a debater. I simply just don't enjoy having someone tell me how they don't feel welcomed because of his/her view.

I don't think you came off that way.  I agree with part of what you were saying but not all of it.  So I was trying to emphasize what we agree upon.

Don't feel bad about being new.  I'm waiting until I have 15,000 posts before I propose the new ex-C section "MM is God".  closedeyes.gif

• Like 1

Nice is nice and all that, but keep in mind that many people here are damaged and many more are just angry after being mired in religion. 

Sites like this are helpful to people who are recovering from toxic religion. People without an opportunity to say what they think and how they feel might have this as their only place for an outlet  Do you realize that could save someone's life?  

What we do after toxic religion is our great discovery, everyone can think for themselves and decide who they want to be and what they want to believe. The only thing I wish we had more of was clinical therapist type talk about recovery.  

• Like 2

"I simply just don't enjoy having someone tell me how they don't feel welcomed because of his/her view."

It's good to visit a bunch of different sites to find people you click with. Yes, there is a spirituality subforum on this website... There is also one chicken entree on the menu at my all-you-can-eat Sushi place. If you love chicken then the Sushi place isn't the best choice. This isn't the best site for finding big numbers of like-minded spiritual people. But you most likely will be able to find ex-Christians on a Pantheism site as well as Pantheists!

This site does Ex-Christianity and it does it very well. Spirituality, on the other hand...unless you want to talk to a large number of atheists about spirituality, you might wanna shop around. It probably isn't feasible to keep changing the website name (to warn people) based on the beliefs of the current crop of users so you have to try it on for size and if it doesnt suit you, say adios. :-)

• Like 5

What elephant?

*Bump*

Wrong, end3. This site is not dedicated to changing minds. It is dedicated to those who have left a religion that was toxic to them or that failed under scrutiny. There is always emotional and sometimes financial fallout when one starts to admit the Old Time Religion isn't valid.

Well, shit....you make it seem as if that's the only purpose for this site. Should have changed the name of the site then.

Care to explain why we have an ex-Christian spirituality part then? Even though it's for those exploring other religions or whatever.

http://www.ex-christian.net/forum/30-ex-christian-spirituality/#.VElMnMl3MiM

If there's anything that's happened in the ex-c spirituality subforum, I suggest having the parties involved talk via PMs or tell the mods...

Many subforums of ex-c, pick and choose which forums you enter, be mindful of forum rules, easy enough...

Yes, if there is a problem in the Spirituality forum, please PM one of the Mods. Just read the rules carefully before posting and let us know if you believe there is a violation.  See which Mods are on the board at the time and PM.  We are in different time zones so all of us cannot be there all the time to see everything.

• Super Moderator

Why so cryptic, Orbit? State your problem clearly so it can be addressed.

This site has been awesome for me… and I desperately needed a place to be angry and call bullshit when I saw it - because I spent far too much of my life swallowing bullshit. I see no need to be mean on a personal level or cruel and kindness is a virtue, but respect beliefs?  no.. not gonna do it. When something seems stupid.. I want to be able to say.. hey, that's really stupid. (imho)

I haven't spent a lot of time on the spirituality forum, but I have no problem playing by the rules there… as for the rest of the site I think it's perfect just the way it is… though the off topic forum can get a bit nasty  :P  

If I don't like the way a thread is going I leave that OP and find something more my speed. Maybe those people need to say what they are saying - idk.  If this site wasn't my cup of tea I'd go elsewhere.. it's a big place, the www.

The Mods here are very good.. nope, don't have a problem.

• Like 6

I hear what's said here. I especially like Human's responses. Intellectually, I am a rational atheist, but I strive to be humanist in my dealings with people. Ironically, I often feel pulled in multiple directions at once. As a Christian, I was often accused of being double-minded by the dogmatic, and of being cold or inconsiderate by the emotionally careful, probably both were correct. Also, many of us are in interfaith relationships.

• Like 2

This glorious quote from Ingersoll seems appropriate here:

Now let me make myself plain upon one subject, perfectly plain. For instance, I hate Presbyterianism, but I know hundreds of splendid Presbyterians. Understand me. I hate Methodism, and yet I know hundreds of splendid Methodists. I hate Catholicism, and like Catholics. I hate insanity but not the insane.

I do not war against men. I do not war against persons. I war against certain doctrines that I believe to be wrong.

There is no necessity of attacking people -- we should combat error. We should hate hypocrisy, but not the hypocrite -- larceny, but not the thief -- superstition, but not its victim. We should do all within our power to inform, to educate, and to benefit our fellow-men.

There is no elevating power in hatred. There is no reformation in punishment. The soul grows greater and grander in the air of kindness, in the sunlight of intelligence. ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

• Like 7

• Super Moderator

Any further comments in this thread regarding dissatisfaction with comments in and/or the moderation of the Spirituality subform will be deleted.  If anyone has a problem, PM the moderator of that forum or a supermoderator.   Read the TOS and Rules.  Thank you.

• Super Moderator

Thread locked pending moderator review.

Gonna remind EVERBODY here what ExC is all about.

Very simply Webmaster Dave has made this place for those who have escaped to have A place to use 

for a PRIMAL SCREAM.

Get the fuck out with what hurt you, what is bothering you, what is on your mind, things you need rid of before you can begin to see light and life during/after/now times after you escape.

"You" want a nice sweet spot where everybody agrees with you, all things are nice and ass kissy, things are rosy and smell good?
Need to go to another trolley stop.  This aint'a it.

New folks incoming, those who need help, continue learning, many who stay and become hardcores, others who have made this their home, many of we who have no need for further instruction. 
This place invites all, including the new meat for LD. You continually show who and what you are by participation, not by what you "say" Typing and talk in cheap as dogshit on frozen ground. usually lots of it and too many varieties.

"Shout, Shout, shout it all out...."

kL