Goodbye Jesus

What did you believe about demons?

TexasFreethinker

Did anyone ever feel that they had an experience involving a demon as a christian?

If you believed in demons, what did you think they were - in what ways did you think they could interact with humans?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• quicksand

• pitchu

• Japedo

Oh, I soo believed in Demons.

Sometimes I think they were more real than angels or God himself!

Personified Evil had more substance than personified good.

And yes, I had experiences, but I think everyone of them were a fiction of my very imaginary mind, and the power of suggestion from teaching and belief.

Demons Get Out in The Naaaame of JeJeJeeeeesus!

The Hoooly Spirit Commands Thee, He Commands Thee!

Could be easily translated to:

Damn it, I said get out! You fucking demon.

But the peers wouldn't like that...

:wicked:

I absolutely believed there were demons. My ministry was in deliverance. I still believe there is good energy and evil energy (for lack of a better word). But both are needed to have balance in the world. I don't believe there will ever be "world peace" for this reason. Think yin/yang and life cycle. :)

Oh, Demon's exist. They are all 100% natural and man-made though...

Ok, Ok.

I mean whatever force can make a person abandon reason and common sense in favor for a comforting self-imposed matrix. The extent some people take it makes me wonder just what is providing fuel for the fire.

So I don't believe in minions of satan hunting for souls and causing pain and destruction.

I *do* believe in mortal perdators, though.

Merlin

Well, I use to believe in them for a few reasons.

When I was a child, I had (still have) a sleep disorder called sleep paralysis , When I was a child my mother use to tell me demons were attacking me, and not allowing me to move, As much as I fought it I wasn't able to. She told me to say over and over in my mind "nothing but the blood of Jesus".

My entire life when that happened, I use to think it was demons. when I got older found out it had a very simple explanation. (your mind wakes up in REM sleep) everyone's paralyzed when they are in REM. You teeter between Real and dream state, but your body is paralyzed, So People can believe Demons are attacking them Or with some its Aliens come and take them. It's a common sleep disorder, it can be very terrifying though.

Another time, This was when I was older and married, I was sleeping (again) and I had this vivid Dream that 'Satan's was trying to get into my house, my husband ended up fighting with him in the yard, I saw blood. I woke up sweaty and scared shitless, My husband at the same time shot out of bed, He had a similar dream he was fighting with demons. I still can't explain that to this day, Still makes me say WTF??

I don't know what caused the dreams in both of us at the same time, :shrug: I do know there are no such things as demons.

Another time, This was when I was older and married, I was sleeping (again) and I had this vivid Dream that 'Satan's was trying to get into my house, my husband ended up fighting with him in the yard, I saw blood. I woke up sweaty and scared shitless, My husband at the same time shot out of bed, He had a similar dream he was fighting with demons.  I still can't explain that to this day, Still makes me say WTF?? 

I don't know what caused the dreams in both of us at the same time,  :shrug:   I do know there are no such things as demons.

Maybe, one of you, talked in your sleep?

And it induced the idea to the other?

Maybe, one of you, talked in your sleep?

And it induced the idea to the other?

no we woke up the same time, I started talking about my dream, my husband started looking horrified, he had the same type of dream, although he wasn't in our yard, he didn't know where he was. We turned every light in the house on that night, it was very creepy. Never happened before or since :twitch:

Never believed in demons.

Wait, that's not entirely true. Actually, I do believe in the power of daemons.

dhcpd, smbd, nmbd, named... aaaah, the power of Tux and his daemons! Die M$! :fdevil:

(For non-geeks, these are names of linux services... commonly called daemons ;) )

Never believed in demons.

Wait, that's not entirely true. Actually, I do believe in the power of daemons.

dhcpd, smbd, nmbd, named... aaaah, the power of Tux and his daemons! Die M$! :fdevil:

(For non-geeks, these are names of linux services... commonly called daemons ;) )

And easy to exorcise: kill -9

Guest Gothicrip

At a very young age my auntie used to tell me and my sister about demons crawling out of the bathroom if any of our body parts were sticking out from under the blanket at night...

... I still have the sudden urge to wake up and close the bathroom door during the evening, mostly because I feel a certain evil presence when the bathroom is open and the lights turned off...

Doesn't help very much when my bathroom fan-thing continues making weird clicking noises. And I also blame it on the Constantine movie.

Just a few days ago the topic came up. I was giving my medical history to a new doctor who asked about causes of death in my grandparents. I told her, "My maternal grandmother died of cerebral hemorrhage. Or demon possession. Take your pick."

In my very early years there was a lot of talk of demons among my extended family. Fortunately my dad was there to claim the whole thing was poppycock and that as a new immigrant to Southern California from Arkansas he was much more afraid of earthquakes.

Figuring there was enough demonstrable bad crap to keep me good and worried as a kid, I gravitated to the school of evidence-based fears.

Ahh..demons, yes..

At one point I was fully convinced my house was a magnet for demons. Of course, all of my "evil" stuff was drawing them. Everything from little statues to books I chose to read.

I almost got rid of it all. Luckily, I woke up first. I have some cool stuff, lol..

I have seen some odd things..before xtianity, even. Who knows? Perhaps the energy of evil persons lives on?

hmm...funny enough, while I was scared into following xtianity, no one ever mentioned demons.

the only similar thing i can think of would be stories my classmates would tell each other back in elementary school on the playground. there would be claims that a girl on the playground had disappeared and that the devil or some evil spirit had taken her, or that the devil would transform himself into a lunchbox and whoever touched it would be captured. once a small red snake got into the sandbox and they had to send a gardener to kill it, and of course that started evil spirit rumors. then there was this boy who claimed he saw red scales moving through the ground (probably one of those snakes tho).

i was pretty scared by these stories back them, sometimes so bad i would go sleep in my parent's or sibling's room.

seems so stupid now.

Never did, mostly because I had a problem with Satan as the Big Evil Tamale and that I had freewill to make *gasp* evil decisions.

Is it me, or is it these immaterial evil demons doing the choice-selecting? If so, then I am simply not responsible for anything. I kinda like that, but it never got me out of hot water.

It's all rather silly. Kinda like a God needing angles to do his dirty work. Thought he was omnipotent?

Demons...

Man.. My Mom the assorted nutcase spiritist and reader of peoples assorted whatthefuckevers..

Tried to teach we kids of *the other world we couldn't see*..

Han Solo School of Faith: "You can have your hokey Jedi Religion, I'll trust my blaster.."

From the time I was a youngin' on up I heard tales of the Satanic Armies of Demons and Evile BeanZ!!! coming after wicked little kids...

Figured then if these muthaz were meaner than the kid on the bus who took the little kids' lunch money, THEN I'd have problems..

After I punched out said bully, the fear of the EbbileSubWhirrlEdDeamoNZ went way..

I'd never do this shit to my kid.. What a crock of filth to pour into an impressionable mind.. Almost as bad as XBox types of games..

n

I got sucked into the whole deal for about six months. I kept thinking that demons were trying to possess me, kill me, etc, etc...

Wasn't until after I broke the chains, that I realized that I was just suffering from an overactive imagination (which, at that point, had very few outlets. So guess what it resorted to?) and bouts of severe depression. Which my parents still deny that I have, or have ever had. Sigh.

My belief in demons came part and parcel with being saved in the AG.

Possession was the easy way out to explain unwanted behavior or sin. "the devil made me do it" took on a whole new meaning LOL

I can't even count the number of demons that were 'cast out' of me throughout adolesence.

Now I'm content in taking responsibility for my own actions so the need for demons has passed.

PR

Figuring there was enough demonstrable bad crap to keep me good and worried as a kid, I gravitated to the school of evidence-based fears.

Same here, exactly.

Notwithstanding Christianity's various teachings on demonic possession and oppression, what always seemed to me to be most incongruous with various major doctrines, was this obsessive focus on the activity of the Devil and his servants and an attributing to them power and authority over a Christian's life which they clearly could not have. I felt the same way about the garbage being promoted as "Generational Curses." I wondered why these same people did not see or understand the efficacy of Christ's work of atonement at the Cross. How could one belong to Christ and at the same time be inhabited by demons? The owner of a house does not share his abode with his archenemy, nor his adversary's cohorts.

Most Christians I have seen have more faith in the forces of evil than the god they believe is there to save them from the same. They do not see that the belief in one undermines the integrity of the other as the doctrines are mutually exclusive.

I never believed that garbage. A divided house?

I think we have reason to fear those things for which we never mature to the place where we are willing to hold ourselves accountable and exercise personal responsibility.

The whole concept of demons was ripped off from hellenstic paganism anyway and incorporated into the body of Christianity. Demons weren't always evil, but eventually became so.

Theres a lot of things I never believed in. I got to see it to believe it. When I was a preteen things were different but I figured I was ok with god and had nothing to fear at that age.

I think we have reason to fear those things for which we never mature to the place where we are willing to hold ourselves accountable and exercise personal responsibility.

I think this is absolutely true and I'm still working on my maturity level.

(But Reach, what's the mature thing for us California girls to do about those earthquake fears? I still have them, even though I'm in NY. Do you? In Oregon?)

When I was very young I took it for granted that Satan was real and everyone had a demon stalking them, and I can still recall vividly nightmares that I had after certain sermons/sunday school lessons. Sometime in early Jr. High I hit a paranoia overload point when some bozo decided to show the "Thief in the Night" movies in church and do an "end times" class.

At that point, I had it. Pushed past the point of paranoia and terror that I could handle, I started asking the questions that weren't allowed:

How can this awfulness be if we are saved and protected by God? If our sins are washed away and we're indwelt by the holy spirit? It seemed to me that I was being fed a line of bullshit.

Then I went back and read the bible, finding out that, with the exception of the book of Revelations, all the "evil spirits" worked for God and for the glory of God. The whole notion of demons attacking the people of God was ridiculous.

It didn't take long from there to come to the conclusion that demon posession - and, indeed, demons in general, were bullshit if the rest of Christianity were true. So, within the span of a couple years, I stopped believing in demons except in a metaphorical or very vague sense, except for a brief time after I met a man I was *sure* was demon posessed. At the same time, I learned (through a lot of first-hand experience and more reading) just how evil, twisted, and fucked up people can be, and came to the conclusion that there really was nothing for demons to do besides eat popcorn and watch.

Demonology really made no sense with an all-powerful God and free choice for humans in the picture. The whole construct was transparently manipulative and vacuous, and I stopped buying most of it by the time I was 14 (except for Satan and Hell, which I stopped buying at around the age of 20-22).

-----

There's plenty of REAL things to be afraid of in this world. I don't, and didn't, need bullshit laid on top of it.

And, Pitchu, remember: Only 40 people died in the '89 quake. After living through that, they don't scare me anymore :)

"Worrying about things that are unlikely is a waste of precious life." -Penn Jilette

-Lokmer

(But Reach, what's the mature thing for us California girls to do about those earthquake fears?  I still have them, even though I'm in NY.  Do you?  In Oregon?)

When I said, I think we have reason to fear those things for which we never mature to the place where we are willing to hold ourselves accountable and exercise personal responsibility, I wasn't thinking of earthquakes and other catastrophes for which we can prepare little beyond purchasing insurance and instituting some small measures of damage control and loss prevention but I think we can still exercise these same privileges of accountability and responsibility in areas which are under our control. We buy insurance and heavy, expensive, breakable objects get stored close to the floor. As it turned out, my house was ready to handle the earthquake that hit in 1989, but the epicenter was a few dozen miles away.

While earthquakes are inevitable on the west coast, all I know to say is that I honestly do not live in fear of them. I am more conscious of and in fear of living a life that I would consider a waste. I regularly battle my own personal laziness that I might seize a few opportunities that I can grab a hold of and use my talents to some advantage to humanity, no matter how slight the degree. In that area, Pitchu, my maturity level is in need of much improvement.

I am more conscious of and in fear of living a life that I would consider a waste. I regularly battle my own personal laziness that I might seize a few opportunities that I can grab a hold of and use my talents to some advantage to humanity, no matter how slight the degree.

Yes!!!!

Same here

-Lokmer

(But Reach, what's the mature thing for us California girls to do about those earthquake fears?  I still have them, even though I'm in NY.  Do you?  In Oregon?)

Pitchu

As you know, I am another California transplant to the East Coast. I lived in earthquake country for 41 years and rarely thought about them—except when the house was shaking. Now that I am 3000 miles away I worry about my family in California all the time. When my partner is there on business, I can’t stop worrying about him not being able to get home, or worse.

I suppose we learn to live with (suppress) things we cannot control. Once out of danger, our fears seem to come to the surface again. :shrug::shrug: