Goodbye Jesus

Proselytizing At Work...

Former Follier

Wait a moment... Amish schools don't allow god?

Dumbasses.

LOL

That was tragically funny...Not laughing at the little Amish girls, just the point.

That e-mail has been circulating for years, and each time there's a new school shooting they tack it on to make a point.

It just proves how fucking stupid fundamentalist christians are.

Oh yeah, you are really going to heal violence in inner city schools(where school shootings and attacks are the NORM)by setting aside time to pray. It is so unfuckingbelieveable.

And I am willing to bet that Fundies killed Madelyne O'hare...Her dissappearance was just too abrupt.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• R. S. Martin

• Gary Thompson

• Christine

Wait a moment... Amish schools don't allow god?

Dumbasses.

LOL

That was tragically funny...Not laughing at the little Amish girls, just the point.

THAT is what I've been trying to say. Just didn't have enough information.

That e-mail has been circulating for years, and each time there's a new school shooting they tack it on to make a point.

And THIS is what I had a hunch about but didn't know enough about stuff. I will probably never be a full-fledged "woman of the world" who just knows all this cultural stuff in mainstream society.

And I am willing to bet that Fundies killed Madelyne O'hare...Her dissappearance was just too abrupt.

Oooh!! this sounds sinister. Like a commie on the loose.

Again, I'm not totally sure what mainstream fundy ideas are on commies but on another forum there was this one wacky fundy woman who stubbornly believed no matter what the evidence to the contrary, that commies ran the ACLU. That commies infiltrated the CIA, and leftist government, etc.

Against that background it seems really ironic to say that fundies might actually be guilty of the type of deeds attributed to commies. But it's believable. I'm not challenging your suggestion.

Do fundies think the Amish are Christians?

The fundies I've been around certainly don't. Independent Baptists will be the only residents of heaven other than the heavenly hosts, didn't you know?

Speaking for the Amish here. What the fundies think is irrelevent. They're worldly. They're conceited. They worship the devil and think it's God. They invite the devil--read televangelist--into their livingrooms then sit worshipping him all evening. Nope. What the fundies think is beside the point and not worth the breath required to say it.

See, this is what I love about Christians... it's the uniformity of belief that makes it soooo convincing 'Everyone is wrong except my cult'.

Yet even people here claim it's not a cult.

A co-worker just forwarded this to me along with a few select others... the others being professing Christians. Am I being overly sensitive or is that illegal in the workplace? Anyway, it was very presumptuous of her to assume that I would welcome it in my inbox. My response to her? "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't forward religious material to me. Thanks." Much less than I felt like saying.

Dear God:

Why didn't you save the school children at ?

Virginia Tech

Amish Country, PA

Columbine High School

<snip... (in the interest of brevity)>

El Cajon, California 3/22/01?

Sincerely,

Concerned Student

-----------------------------------------------------

Reply:

Dear Concerned Student:

I am not allowed in schools.

Sincerely,

God

Not only that, but what crap it is!

I thought a dozen or two instances per decade of shootings or other catastrophes involving in loss of life would occur in ANY type of public place. Not to elicit canned argument #127, xians are so severely persecuted, BUT if that was god's reason then..., in that case...

Dear God,

Why didn't you save your faithful worshipers at ?

Living Church of God, Brookfield Wisconsin, 3/14/05

Wedgewood Baptist Church, Ft. Worth, Texas, 9/15/99

Turner Monumental African Methodist Episcopal Church, Atlanta, Georgia, Oct. 2003

World Changers Chruch, College Park, Georgia, July 2005

Sash Assembly of God, Sash, Texas, 8/29/05

Zion Hope Missionary Baptist Church, Detroit, Michigan, 2/26/06

Our Lady of Peace Roman Catholic Church, Lynbrook, New York, 3/12/02

New St. John Fellowship Baptist Church, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 3/11/99

The Ministry of Jesus Christ church, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, 5/21/06

Goshen United Methodist Church, Piedmont, Alabama, 3/27/94

Sincerely,

Confused Questioner

Since I'm not allowed in schools, I decided to boycott churches on my own account.

God.

Since I'm not allowed in schools, I decided to boycott churches on my own account.

God.

More

I've not been allowed in churches since Irenaeus won

God

See, this is what I love about Christians... it's the uniformity of belief that makes it soooo convincing 'Everyone is wrong except my cult'.

Exactly. There are over 34,000 denominations of Christianity. For a god who is so picky about what he wants his followers to believe, he's certainly doing a very poor management job of the "facts."

I'm dealing with proselytizers at my workplace also. I say stand up to anyone who is making your work invironment uncomfortable. I have now taken on the adage that if I hear people say irrational things I'll call them on it.

Go you.

And when that fails, you can always feed them to the bumble. ;)

Ha Ha.... That won't be necessary, I don't know if you saw my post of "dealing with fundies at work", but there have been so many complaints from clients and other coworkers, that my boss made a new seating chart and put the two proselytizers in the back corner of the salon. :grin: I'll still have to deal with them at the sinks and the break room. :scratch:

I'm dealing with proselytizers at my workplace also. I say stand up to anyone who is making your work invironment uncomfortable. I have now taken on the adage that if I hear people say irrational things I'll call them on it.

Congratulations Christine! I've been wondering how things are working out for you. I'm so glad you're finding a way to deal with it.

Thanks RubySera, It's getting better since I'm not alone in my frustration at work, other coworkers are speaking up too.

Ha Ha.... That won't be necessary, I don't know if you saw my post of "dealing with fundies at work", but there have been so many complaints from clients and other coworkers, that my boss made a new seating chart and put the two proselytizers in the back corner of the salon. :grin:I'll still have to deal with them at the sinks and the break room. :scratch:

What! they won't even let you wash your hands without getting proseltytized? That sounds worse than addiction. It sounds like they're hardwired and preprogramed to think and say only one thing. Do you ever have weather changes where you live? If so, is it possible to base a bit of small-talk for at least the duration of washing your hands on discussion of the finer details of temperature, air pressure, and weather fronts without god-talk? No, don't try talking about the beauty or awe of weather but about the numerical data. Oh yeah, I guess that would be "soliciting" hymns of praise to god for making such intricate weather systems and preaching about the absolute proof that God made the world, ad nauseum. There really is no winning, is there?

Exactly. There are over 34,000 denominations of Christianity. For a god who is so picky about what he wants his followers to believe, he's certainly doing a very poor management job of the "facts."

Just imagine if they all turned on each other... there doesn't that give one a rosy glow...

Go you.

And when that fails, you can always feed them to the bumble. ;)

Ha Ha.... That won't be necessary, I don't know if you saw my post of "dealing with fundies at work", but there have been so many complaints from clients and other coworkers, that my boss made a new seating chart and put the two proselytizers in the back corner of the salon. :grin: I'll still have to deal with them at the sinks and the break room. :scratch:

Piss down their leg...

Just imagine if they all turned on each other...

Therein lies the hope of the world. They do tend to turn on each other. There seems to be a strict heirarchy, at least with the Mennonite groups I am familiar with, as to who cooperates with whom under what circumstances. When they are fighting atheists they join hands. But the minute the crisis (with the atheists) has passed they settle back into their normal day-to-day bickering, excommunicating, shunning, etc.

Maybe the "divide and conquor" strategy would work. Since they are divided already all we would have to do is high-light and exacerbate the existing fractures....Just an idea. I'm always on the look-out for ideas on how to solve the "fundy problem."

Just imagine if they all turned on each other...

Therein lies the hope of the world. They do tend to turn on each other. There seems to be a strict heirarchy, at least with the Mennonite groups I am familiar with, as to who cooperates with whom under what circumstances. When they are fighting atheists they join hands. But the minute the crisis (with the atheists) has passed they settle back into their normal day-to-day bickering, excommunicating, shunning, etc.

Maybe the "divide and conquor" strategy would work. Since they are divided already all we would have to do is high-light and exacerbate the existing fractures....Just an idea. I'm always on the look-out for ideas on how to solve the "fundy problem."

Ever since the first religion there has been one common motif... the destruction of those who say 'no'... more than just a different 'imaginary' friend, but no imaginary friend at all. It's why the human brain is predisposed to mystical sandbagging... the people who look behind the curtain tend to get removed from the genome... thus even the free thinkers we have this late in the game still exhibit some nastily religious Zealot traits politically... they even come up with the sub-Orwellian double think of 'passion'... It means they don't have to think, since it's just 'correct'. The same sliding scale of thought that got German from Vienna drinking clubs to the Gas chamber,the concentration camp, and the horrors of human experimentation... The price of free thinking is that nothing is face value. A level of "eternal vigilance" that gets neglected... the eternal vigilance of your own motivations, your own thoughts, and, at the risk of using the terminology of religion, your own soul. However, perhaps it's not so out of the way, since it is a religious impulse that drives it...

Just my own meandering experience from a life that is better measured by the handling rather than the mileage (to use a used car salesman turn of phrase.)

Therein lies the hope of the world. They do tend to turn on each other.

Christians have been turning on each other for centuries, and they are still around. It will take something more.

When they are fighting atheists they join hands. But the minute the crisis (with the atheists) has passed they settle back into their normal day-to-day bickering, excommunicating, shunning, etc.

This is what needs to be done. A common enemy unites the church, but playing upon their differences can set them off one against the other. But how? We are not organized to do such a thing. They have groups like the National Association of Evangelicals; as far as I know there isn't any National Organization of Non-Christians. And if there were such a group, the fundies would probably lay into the "divide and conquer" strategy themselves.

as far as I know there isn't any National Organization of Non-Christians.

Even suggesting such a thing is likely to raise the hackles on a lot of people's necks. A lot of non-believers are inherently non "joiners" as well--which is exactly why they're non-believers in the first place.

Shame... since mostly non-believers tend to be in the upper percentiles of intelligence, and often command large salaries. Economic/Political clout only works in groups however....

Christians have been turning on each other for centuries, and they are still around. It will take something more.

You're right. Surely there's some sort of pest control service that could assist us here...

Therein lies the hope of the world. They do tend to turn on each other.

My biggest concern is that they not take over the world like they did in ages past. Just keeping the USA from becoming a theocrasy for real is all I dare hope for at the moment.

When they are fighting atheists they join hands. But the minute the crisis (with the atheists) has passed they settle back into their normal day-to-day bickering, excommunicating, shunning, etc.

This is what needs to be done. A common enemy unites the church, but playing upon their differences can set them off one against the other. But how? We are not organized to do such a thing. They have groups like the National Association of Evangelicals; as far as I know there isn't any National Organization of Non-Christians.

The first part of the strategy is to agree on what needs to be done. Seems you and I are in agreement on that. Divide and conquor. HOW??? I don't know. But knowing what needs to be done is a beginning. And I have some ideas up my sleeve. I better start a new thread on this...I've started work on it but it might take a few minutes. Keep watching for something along the lines of: organizing a fight-the-fundy foundation. In the exChristian Life section.

See, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not interested in a "cause."

I disagree with you and COG about something "needing to be done." That's a populous slogan used by all kinds of groups to elicit one change or another, very often to the detriment of the folks at whom this something "needing to be done" is targeted.

Theism (and, by extension, theist fundamentalism) isn't something that can be "fought" in any conventional sense of the word. One can't wage a war against it, there are no battle lines or demarcations of who's on which "side." The only counter-tactic with any hope of success is education, and that can't be done in some shotgun pseudo-tactic; it's going to take generations and be a slow, steady crawl.

Even if there were some way to "combat" fundamentalism in the short term I still wouldn't sign up for it. I've got more important things to do--like living the only life I know I have.

I disagree with you and COG about something "needing to be done." That's a populous slogan used by all kinds of groups to elicit one change or another, very often to the detriment of the folks at whom this something "needing to be done" is targeted.

Theism (and, by extension, theist fundamentalism) isn't something that can be "fought" in any conventional sense of the word. One can't wage a war against it, there are no battle lines or demarcations of who's on which "side." The only counter-tactic with any hope of success is education, and that can't be done in some shotgun pseudo-tactic; it's going to take generations and be a slow, steady crawl.

Even if there were some way to "combat" fundamentalism in the short term I still wouldn't sign up for it. I've got more important things to do--like living the only life I know I have.

The type of fundamentalism you have in the US only took 4 generations to take hold and flourish

I have to agree with you, it will take generations, progress is slow. :shrug: