Goodbye Jesus

Proselytizing At Work...

Former Follier

The type of fundamentalism you have in the US only took 4 generations to take hold and flourish

True, but fundamentalism (unfortunately) plays by a different set of rules.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grandpa Harley

• R. S. Martin

• Gary Thompson

• Christine

The type of fundamentalism you have in the US only took 4 generations to take hold and flourish

True, but fundamentalism (unfortunately) plays by a different set of rules.

Not really... it just requires cousins to marry and people you'd hesitate to allow to herd pigs to breed uncontrolled :) The Eugeneics laws passed in numerous states targeted the wrong people... Indiana was the first state to have those... not a bit of history many states are happy for one to dredge up...

Like Dominion Theology preaches: "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it."

Woodsmoke, I don't think you read my post very carefully. Nowhere ever did I or COG talk about waging a war. Well, maybe you thought I was going to go out with soldiers and break up worship services but that kind of thing was not even in my brain. Educating people, as you suggest, IS doing something.

However, it is impossible to educate people who refuse to be educated. "You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. You can send a boy to high school but you cannot make him think." That is literally true. Many a time my horse did not want to drink when I led him to water. He would put down his head and touch the water with his nose to prove to me that yes he did see and note the water, then he would back away to indicate that, no he does not want to drink.

The same goes for education. For every argument in the book, the fundies have a counter-argument. They will do what is required to pass the exams they have to pass for whatever goal they want to reach. But that does not mean they actually believe the stuff they are writing.

I have seen many a case where a fundy would get the education primarily to get a better understanding of the arguments, in order to develop new and better arsenal for the fundy camp.

And then there are people like me who desperately want more information but can't get it because it doesn't exist. And there are fundamentalist religions having a hot shooting-bombing-terrorizing war (in North America in 2001 and in the Middle East ever since) because each thinks the other polutes the land and needs to be annihilated.

Doing something is of paramount importance. But not with WMD.

Do we get a code book, a signal ring and a handshake?

A secret society would be fun. We could gather together... and get drunk and pretend it actually was going to do something.

I've been in my fair share of secret societies... they can be interesting.

And a secret password? Oooh, and how about agent numbers? I wanna do 99 be 86!

I'm British so Number 6 or 007 :)

I'd have thought Agent 11 would have been more your style... but perhaps Mr. Waverley would object ;)

I'm British so Number 6 or 007 :)

I'd have thought Agent 11 would have been more your style... but perhaps Mr. Waverley would object ;)

Twisted my arm, had to say uncle.

The Penn and Teller of the board... or should that be the Rebo and Zooty?

Congratulations Gramps, I had to Google to find out who they were. Neither are shown in Oz. :HaHa:

Another Babylon 5 fan, eh? :)

If there's a secret group, do we get to celebrate weird holidays too? Like Talk Like A Pirate day? :P

If there's a secret group, do we get to celebrate weird holidays too? Like Talk Like A Pirate day? :P

How about speak Klingon day?

bodysnatchers.jpg

THERE BE A TREKKIE!!!! ARHHH!

Congratulations Gramps, I had to Google to find out who they were. Neither are shown in Oz. :HaHa:

Cultural wasteland!

Qapla'!

Swedish meatball day?