• R. S. Martin

• Garnet

• Former Follier

• Grandpa Harley

"You mean it's like Hotel California? Cool... I'll have a colita!"

The one statement that pisses me off when talking to xtians is:

"There is no such thing as a former Christian."

How do you respond to this?

I would ask them what they mean by that. I would also ask them if there is such a thing as a former Muslim or Hindu or some other religion.

The only thing I would do in the face of such absurdity would be to ask questions.

That idea is based on the "once saved always saved" theology. The reasoning behind that is, I think, that if you are born into a family (in this case God's family) you can never become unborn from that family. What they forget is that birth parents are not necessary one's true parents. For example, a young girl gets raped by her cousin or neighbour and carries the child to term, the child gets born and is adopted by someone else. If the child' sir was a Smith, and the adoptive parents are Brown, is that child a Smith or a Brown?

Only people who go by strict biological genes will say that child is a Smith. Only people who want to exercise control over your very thoughts will insist that there is no such thing as an ex-Christian. All they want is a fight. Disappoint them. Here's an answer someone recently told me he uses to stave off Christian preaching; he says: I don't share your beliefs.

He finds this disarms the Christians because they seem to want to fight. And they can't fight with "I don't share your beliefs."

That being said, I can imagine my father yelling at me in a very threatening voice, "Then your beliefs are wrong! You better change them NOW or the day will come when you will wish you had."

That is why I don't talk with him or other family members.

Well, I'm assuming Mike is referring to the "once saved, always saved" idea that is shared by most fundamental Christians. The reason they ask is because (realizing that they're looking at us through their worldview from the inside out) they just can't comprehend why someone would just give up the "gift of eternal life." I may be way off, but that is the reason that most readily presents itself as to why the question would be asked.

In my opinion, that's the perfect time to raise the whole "religion as a social and geographical construct" argument, much like ethos and languages. Ask them why they didn't accept Mohammed's gift of the virgin women. See if that gets a rise out of them. I'm guessing it will because more Christians are sexually repressed (which is why so many horrendous sexual "sins" are committed by members of the clergy and even parishioners).

Just say "Well, there's no such thing as Jesus, either" :)

What do you expect from people who fervently believe in a god who is supposed to have done lots of big things on earth yet apparently is about as real as the tooth fairy?

What do you expect from people who fervently believe in a god who is supposed to have done lots of big things on earth yet apparently is about as real as the tooth fairy?

Well, you have to remember that a day is like a thousand years to the Lord, so the reason He hasn't done anything in the last two thousand years is that He took the weekend off! On Monday morning (figuratively speaking), Jesus is gonna come back! Glory!

And you never know--the tooth fairy might be real. I just never seen her. My ma didn't believe in her and my folks never had any money for the tooth fairy to spend......if they had.....ya never know.......

I throw it back in their face with "there's no such thing as a Christian." This really gets them pissed off, and it's actually true! There is no such thing as a Christian in the sense that they think. (I.e Sealed byt the Spirit, Born AGain. Its all imaginary) So they are right when they say there are no Ex-Christians in the sense they mean, because there never were any CHristians by that standard in the first place. This is a good way to address it, because it is true, and it serves the purpose. You have thrown the fustration back at them.

I get away from the idiot and do my best not to have conversation with them again. There are some levels of stupidity to which I can no longer stoop.

The webmaster here used to have a signature that went something like this:

"There most certainly are Ex-Christians because, well -- here we are!"

I'm going to go in a different avenue and say it has to do with the insecurity of their faith. If Ex-Christians exist then it's not really all it's cracked up to be.

If someone tells me that, I say, "Who are you to assume anything about me? You are simply making assumptions you know nothing about."

Hebrews 6

6:4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, (6:4-6)

6:5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,

6:6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

I had this statement thrust upon me recently, my response went something like this:

Let's see, a Christian is someone who believes in Christianity and the teachings as laid out in the bible, a follower of these teachings and a believer in "God." Ok, for a time I was one of those - though through no intention of my own but rather through forced indoctrination.

I no longer believe in the bible or it's teachings or that a "God" even exists. I do not follow the teachings of Christianity any more. So, I am an ex-Christian.

If that is hard to comprehend, how about the following:

There was a time when I worked for Bandai Japan. I no longer work for Bandai Japan, so I am an ex-worker of Bandai Japan. There was a time when I was an infantry soldier in the Australian Army. I am no longer in the Army, so I am an ex-soldier. There was a time when I was a student at Marist Bros. high school. I am no longer a student at Marist Bros. high school, so I am an ex-student of Marist Bros. high school. And so on and so on through all the things that I no longer do.

It's simple really. "Ex-" from the Latin "out of" (from where we get "exit") There are many things in our lives that we can apply "ex-" to.

The person to whom I was talking had no comeback. I'm sure a fundi would find one though.

Jun, your reply would be understandable and even compelling to anyone who actually utilizes the three-pound mass that fills their skull. However, I feel like all your response would garner from a Christian is a look of slack-jawed bewilderment.

I recommend a bitchslap :pureevil:

Doesn't that statement actually say, "You were never a True Christian." Like the ex-Christian did not try to believe, but found the message so wanting that they had to move on to something better.

They don't like the idea of an Ex-Christian, because it means it was someone who moved on from their beliefs to something that sounded more true.

Doesn't that statement actually say, "You were never a True Christian." Like the ex-Christian did not try to believe, but found the message so wanting that they had to move on to something better.

They don't like the idea of an Ex-Christian, because it means it was someone who moved on from their beliefs to something that sounded more true.

They'd likely argue that. :twitch:

"There's no such thing as a talking snake, so what is your point?"

I have said a number of things to people who have asked including: "Oh yeah? Just like there are no ex-Scientologists? Tell that to Tory Bezazian."

"You mean it's like Hotel California? Cool... I'll have a colita!"

NICE ONE!

I would ask them what they mean by that. I would also ask them if there is such a thing as a former Muslim or Hindu or some other religion.

The only thing I would do in the face of such absurdity would be to ask questions.

Yeah. But they would probably ask the same question if they are of MODERATE intelligence. And that's a rare find in Christianity.

He finds this disarms the Christians because they seem to want to fight. And they can't fight with "I don't share your beliefs."

That being said, I can imagine my father yelling at me in a very threatening voice, "Then your beliefs are wrong! You better change them NOW or the day will come when you will wish you had."

That is why I don't talk with him or other family members.

Yeah, my family says the same thing as well. I try to stay away from them as much as possible.

Well, I'm assuming Mike is referring to the "once saved, always saved" idea that is shared by most fundamental Christians. The reason they ask is because (realizing that they're looking at us through their worldview from the inside out) they just can't comprehend why someone would just give up the "gift of eternal life." I may be way off, but that is the reason that most readily presents itself as to why the question would be asked.

In my opinion, that's the perfect time to raise the whole "religion as a social and geographical construct" argument, much like ethos and languages. Ask them why they didn't accept Mohammed's gift of the virgin women. See if that gets a rise out of them. I'm guessing it will because more Christians are sexually repressed (which is why so many horrendous sexual "sins" are committed by members of the clergy and even parishioners).

Hehehehe, a "rise" out of them.

I've said "Jesus and the Easter Bunny are both very much alike. They arise from the Xian doctrine, They are both imaginary, they are both believed in by under-developed people."

I throw it back in their face with "there's no such thing as a Christian." This really gets them pissed off, and it's actually true! There is no such thing as a Christian in the sense that they think. (I.e Sealed byt the Spirit, Born AGain. Its all imaginary) So they are right when they say there are no Ex-Christians in the sense they mean, because there never were any CHristians by that standard in the first place. This is a good way to address it, because it is true, and it serves the purpose. You have thrown the fustration back at them.

Yeah, I guess that's true. We're not ex-Christians because there never was a Christ to begin with. And even then, most (if not all) of the things he said or promised were idiotic. Notice I write this in the ideals like I am referring to a fictional character like Frodo Baggins.

I'm going to go in a different avenue and say it has to do with the insecurity of their faith. If Ex-Christians exist then it's not really all it's cracked up to be.

If someone tells me that, I say, "Who are you to assume anything about me? You are simply making assumptions you know nothing about."

I just say "preach to me and I'll go back home. Follow me and you'll be trespassing. Trespass and I'll shoot a brand new hole in your ass. Survive and you'll be prosecuted."

Jun, your reply would be understandable and even compelling to anyone who actually utilizes the three-pound mass that fills their skull. However, I feel like all your response would garner from a Christian is a look of slack-jawed bewilderment.

Hehehehe, I agree. But I'm not willing to dedicate too much of my mental faculties to deal with these retards unless they were really making my skin crawl.

I recommend a bitchslap :pureevil:

10 out of 10 ex-Christians recommend bitchslapping evangelical Christians.

10 out of 10 ex-Christians recommend bitchslapping evangelical Christians.

Make that 9 out of 10. Count me outta "bitchslapping" anyone.

"There's no such thing as a talking snake, so what is your point?"

I like this one. *tucks it away for the next time the no true Christian crap comes up*

I respond by asking them:

"Do you believe that John Calvin's interpretation of the Bible is on the same level of authority as God himself in your faith? Of course you don't. Then did you know that the teachings of Jacobus Arminius are agreed with by more Christians than those who accept John Calvin's teaching, and that Arminianism teaches the opposite, that in the Bible it shows quite clearly that a Christian can become an ex-Christian? So are you saying you are a Calvinist, rather than a Christian?”

“Are you saying that those who disagree with John Calvin are just plain wrong, and if so how is it that your studies have revealed something that a huge number of other Christians don't agree with? Have you been particularly favored by God to have knowledge so superior to others that you can sit in judgment over those who claim with good reason that they in fact were sincere, active, believing Christians at one point? “

“Isn't that a rather high and mighty presumption based on theological preferences to judge the sincerity of another human being, like me? I sincerely believed in Jesus like you do now. Perhaps you are just finding that the teachings of one particular theologian’s ideas are helping you to respond to the idea that someone like you could change their mind about something that seems so important to you at this time? Does my being a True ex-Christian ™ frighten you?”

Calvinism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_points_of_Calvinism

Arminianism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminianism

OK, from now on, when faced with the no-ex-Christians blather, I'm pointing said blatherer to Antlerman.