Goodbye Jesus

What defines a Fundie?

Ouroboros

It seems to me that what I now perceive to be the underlying definition in regards to 'fundies' is that they are an intolerant group of people to anyone that does not think like they. That would then cross all faiths and beliefs, wouldn't it?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Purple Rhino

• Totallyatpeace

• Mythra

It seems to me that what I now perceive to be the underlying definition in regards to 'fundies' is that they are an intolerant group of people to anyone that does not think like they. That would then cross all faiths and beliefs, wouldn't it?

Pretty good description.

Sorry, I forgot to mark email notification... now correcting my mistake. I'm still learning.

Yes I think it would. One could be any religion and be a fundamentalist. But for the most part fundies are thought of to be Christian because in the Western world most of the people who are fundamentalists are Christains.

Yes I think it would. One could be any religion and be a fundamentalist. But for the most part fundies are thought of to be Christian because in the Western world most of the people who are fundamentalists are Christains.

I've heard Fundamentalist being used on Islamists and some Jews too.

I've heard Fundamentalist being used on Islamists and some Jews too.

I believe that there are fundamentalist in all of the major religions. {to me it just makes sense} But being one of the successful escapees of Fundie Christie's I always relate the term to them.

PR

I believe that there are fundamentalist in all of the major religions. {to me it just makes sense} But being one of the successful escapees of Fundie Christie's I always relate the term to them.

PR

That's how it seems to be with most of us here on the site, we relate the term back to what we came from or from what was said in the denomination we belonged to. So the definition is pretty loose. But I liked Amandas version: religions people that are intolerant. I think that sums it up pretty good, regardless how they interpret their religion or holy book, their common denominator is the intolerance to other interpretations, people and religions.

Yes I think it would. One could be any religion and be a fundamentalist.

Or even not a religion. As long as you subscribe to a philosophy of some kind, fundamentalism is possible. It's what comes of taking any philosophy to an extreme. You can be a fundie liberal as well as a fundie conservative. Most of us are more familiar with the later.

Or even not a religion.  As long as you subscribe to a philosophy of some kind, fundamentalism is possible.  It's what comes of taking any philosophy to an extreme.  You can be a fundie liberal as well as a fundie conservative. Most of us are more familiar with the later.

So it could be summed up like this then: ideological intolerant people.

Concise and simple Han! Just like I like em :wink:

PR

Concise and simple Han! Just like I like em :wink:

PR

So now would could establish a new acronym for a fundie, the 'IIP'.

Can be used like: "You're just an iip!"

Or "You're just iiping me!"

:grin:

Yep. :)

So now would could establish a new acronym for a fundie, the 'IIP'.

Can be used like: "You're just an iip!"

Or "You're just iiping me!"

True Han but f*king iip is far less aesthetic than f*king fundie! :wicked:

PR

True Han but f*king iip is far less aesthetic than f*king fundie!  :wicked:

PR

Unless you abrv that too, to fiip, but no one would understand what the hell we're talking about! :grin:

And F*king IIP doesn't sound as demeaning as fundie... sound almost like something got stuck in my throat rather... Iiip, iip, can't get air... iip

I'd gladly go with the "When dogma and reality clash, a fundy throws out reality" definition...

And there are fundamentalists of every religious stripe...some fundy pagans I've known were as scary as fundy christians in their willingness to throw out reality.

Unless you abrv that too, to fiip, but no one would understand what the hell we're talking about! :grin:

And F*king IIP doesn't sound as demeaning as fundie... sound almost like something got stuck in my throat rather... Iiip, iip, can't get air... iip

Hang on Han I'll look up the CPR web site and see if I can help you! LMAO

OOoops too late :eek:

"we are gathered today to pay our respects to HanSolo...."

:lmao:

I'd gladly go with the "When dogma and reality clash, a fundy throws out reality" definition...

And there are fundamentalists of every religious stripe...some fundy pagans I've known were as scary as fundy christians in their willingness to throw out reality.

Fundie Pagans scary? Really, that is interesting. They are usually so docile

PR

Fundie Pagans scary? Really, that is interesting. They are usually so docile

PR

Not so much in the violent way that christian fundies are, but in the bananas-in-the-ear way of responding to reality vs. dogma or tradition...as in...

Fundy Pagan: Over 13 million witches were killed during the Burning Times in Europe.

Me: Wouldn't that be over 40% of Europe's population at the time? And weren't most of the executions that did happen either politically motivated or against christian heresy?

FP: That's what they'd like you to think.

Now, mind you, I'm pagan...but I like my ability to think rationally.

Guest WhatIsTruth9

Gee Fundy Pagan and Fluffly Bunny Pagan/wiccan both kinda sound similar..

Fundy....Fluffy...

I can attest to what my beloved hubby is saying. I've known several Traditional wiccans (those of the Gardarian like) who have said this bullshit....along with that their religion is like 15,000 years old and that everyone stole from their religion, and that they have taken nothing from other religions..

They're like the Conservative Catholics of witchcraft...

Cult:

Latin cultus, worship, from past participle of colere, to cultivate

But as it is used commonly where someone says "did you hear sally-sue is in a cult?" That's obviously in regards to a harmful cult. what makes something a harmful cult isn't necessarily their belief system...it's more their personal methods. There are lots of books and websites out there that list the signs of a destructive cult...which I would encourage you to read.

Then there are the harmless cults, like the Unitarians, which many Christians will still use the term "cult" negatively in reference to, simply because they're not the "One True Religion".

I agree with you that all religions are cults, since all religions on Earth were invented by humans. Some are more harmful than others, while others may not cause any harm at all.

FP: That's what they'd like you to think.

:eek: Oh ... I'd laugh my ass off if one of my Pagan friends came out with that line :lmao:

PR

Gee Fundy Pagan and Fluffly Bunny Pagan/wiccan both kinda sound similar..

Fundy....Fluffy...

I can attest to what my beloved hubby is saying.  I've known several Traditional wiccans (those of the Gardarian like) who have said this bullshit....along with that their religion is like 15,000 years old and that everyone stole from their religion, and that they have taken nothing from other religions..

They're like the Conservative Catholics of witchcraft...

Do you mean Gardarian Wicca? That particular branch of Paganism is only like 50 years old. Most of the Pagans I know view Gardarian Wicca to Paganism as the Catholocs view Jahova Witnesses.

Maybe they are burning more than just sage in those 'cleansing wands' he he he

PR