Goodbye Jesus

What Denomination Were You Apart Of Before You Left?

walkthehawk

Inquiring mind wanna know.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• walkthehawk

• Neon Genesis

• The-Captain

• Marke

Various kinds of Mennonite.

Southern Baptist

Ass of God

Charismatic/Non-denominational

Don't mind a bit

In no particular order:

Bible

Baptist

Non-Denom

Methodist

Church of Christ (briefly)

To those who replied C of C, are you referring to the one that I believe Barack Obama to be in, or the one where musical instruments can not be played in a church service?

The Church Of Christ I was in is the one that bans musical instruments in worship.

Church of Christ, ya, the one that is part of the "restoration" movement. No musical interments or you will go to hell!

Inquiring mind wanna know.

Raised in the assembly of God.

Studied Orthodox Judaism before fully becoming an agnostic atheist.

The denomination Obama belongs to is not the same one as the denomination that doesn't play music. It is much more mainline.

Here's my list:

Catholic

Southern Baptist

Independent Christian Church (big evangelical mega-church denomination)

Methodist

I tried to be an Episcopalian or Unitarian Universalist for while, too. That didn't last long.

Apostolic/Pentecostal...known as Oneness, Jesus-Only, or Holiness. (See UPCI.org)

What about you WalktheWalk?

Salvation Army. I went to Baptist church for a while as well.

I've also been a pagan (my own version, I didn't belong to any sect) and a kind of Advaita Vedanta Hindu (although I never 'practised' hinduism, I just believed it) before finally realising that it is most reasonable to say there is no evidence to believe in God and better to doubt until evidence shows up.

In philosophical terms I started out Theist then went Pantheist and now I'm atheist.

Methodist in highschool.

non-denominational in college. (though most of my time was spent working with a campus ministry called student mobilization)

I went to my parents baptist church for a while after college, but I was pretty much just going through the motions by then.

Former Southern Baptist here. I sometimes think Southern Baptists perfected the hellfire and brimstone sermon. All the screechings about hell and pounding the pulpit is a rather potent mix.

Raised Independent Baptist

Unitarian Universalist - 2 years

Episcopal for about 6 years

What about you WalktheWalk?

Most of my upbringing was Church of Christ. Spent some time in some Independent Baptist churches. Now I am Anglican, part of the AMIA (Anglican Mission in America). As far as I can see I'm Anglican to stay.

EDIT: It should be noted though that up until my time recently with the Anglican church, the most influential body of people in my faith has been Campus Crusade for Christ.

• Super Moderator

Church of God (Anderson, IN)

Grace Brethren

- Chris

Southern Baptist

Independent Baptist

Assembly of God

Pagan

Pedestrian

Church of God

Ass. of God

Baptist

Alcoholic

Satanist

Nothing

Generic Christian (there's a God, but we don't go to church)

American Baptist

Briefly considered a more liberal slant before deconverting, but decided that made no sense.

I've got a follow up question for y'all. Do you think the more fundamental types (SBC, ABA, CoC, AofGod) are more likely to deconvert than the more liberal types? It seems like the more the church wants you to put into your religion and the more you have to give up to be a part of it the more likely you would be to want to get out.

~Baptist as a child

~Early 20's took out on my own (no church...letting the Holy Spirit teach me all things)

~Became a Messianic (not associating my walk with "Christianity"...as I didn't believe Yeshua to be divine, only human)

~Atheist

I've got a follow up question for y'all. Do you think the more fundamental types (SBC, ABA, CoC, AofGod) are more likely to deconvert than the more liberal types? It seems like the more the church wants you to put into your religion and the more you have to give up to be a part of it the more likely you would be to want to get out.
I'm not really sure, but sometimes I wonder if I was raised in a more gay-friendly church with less rigid rules, whether or not I would still be a Christian. At the very least I feel like maybe I wouldn't have been as shocked by some of God's more questionable actions in the bible if I had been raised to approach the bible less literally. But to me if your faith in the bible gets to the point where you have to believe that 90% of the bible is "symbolic" in order to justify its flaws and only believe 10% is actually true, it just seemed silly to me to bother with it at all at that point, especially when we have all these other religions and philosophies that contain more or less the same 10% of those teachings.

I was wondering if it is the C of C that meets in actual church buildings, or the C of C that is also called "the Boston Movement" and is heaving into recruiting.
The COC I was a member of was the one who met in actual church buildings and not the Boston movement.