Goodbye Jesus

A Poll for Christians.....

Caretaker

Hey Guacamole, Well this is ceratinly an intresting twist...Then what does bother you? Peace! BtR

Rap music and a certain Australian theme restaurant...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• guacamole

• a midnight star

• Burry The Rag

• Ouroboros

Wonderful Xtian attitude.

Thanks. Why not lecture me somemore about a standard to which you do not hold?

Rap music and a certain Australian theme restaurant...

Hey guacamole,

Thanks for your reply. Certainly I agree everyone is ultimately responsible for the decisions they make. However, as you claim the Christian God, my Christian God, I feel obligated to take you to task. You can't justify the "I don't care" attitude biblically.

Peace!

BtR

What in the name of Dave is a "practicing christian"?

It's a common phrase used to denote someone who currently adheres to the tenets of Christian belief.

It doesn't mean I'm trying out for the majors or something like that.

I don't know if I'd say it's nausiating spiritual pride as much as it is simple jack-ass-ery. What's you're excuse?

fwiw

guaca.

Same as yours, guac. I'm an ass. Looks like we share something.

Sometimes heated debate from other threads can inadvertantly run off into others and put on "auto-heat".  Nerves are already worn and so there is little to no patience left.  The heat is over in the "Pagan Gospel" thread.  I believe that this is what has happened here.  Just my opinion though.  However, guacamole seems to be doing just fine with the smart comments himself. 

The difference is that he is supposed to be a christian.  "Love is patient, love is KIND....." regardless of the crappy treatment others may give a Christian, through Christ a Christian has to keep those standards.  A Christian cannot praise their beliefs to ExChristians because we already know gods standards.  Hence all the "wow, how christlike" references.

If you keep this up I am going to think that you are the best poster on this site.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For everyone:

The smart comments are part entertainment and part object-lesson. First, don't take everything I say seriously unless it's a very serious thread. Second, if you don't like it, don't dish it out. If you can say the seven deadly words in your post, don't act like your grandmother when I bounce one offa you. You lot obviously don't have a big problem with profanity, stop acting like a buncha victorians. Likewise, If you're going to start a smarmy-attitude fight, I'll hang in there with ya and we can both get some verbal therapy. As a corrollary to that, if you feel the need to correct me, make sure your moral instruction is evenly distributed. IOW, that means saying something to the ExChristian jerks too.

I agree with "love is patient and love is kind". IRL, I'll give you the shirt offa my back and the burrito outta my lunch bag. I won't mince words and if you are engaging in ass-hatery, then I'm going to tell you. I don't hold anything against anyone in the Jesus-myth thread, but there's alotta ass-hattery going on there. My telling you that I think you're wrong is part of "love is patient and love is kind", imo. If you want other posters to get flush and gushy about what you say then don't let Christians on the board. You can have your happy little exholy huddle and not be bothered by people who don't think you know what you're talking about.

If I honestly didn't care about Ex-Christians, then I wouldn't bother posting on an ex-Christian website, now would I? However, if you're gonna throw the phrases at me that are meant to emotionally manipulate me then I'm gonna fling it right back in you're face. In addition, let me say a word about copping a bad attitude in contrast to the milquetoast image of Christ some people have in their minds. This isn't real life. This is a discussion board where we can engage in a safe bit of puffery and argumentation without whacking each other with beer bottles and bar furniture. Talking is talking and nothing more.

The proof is in the deeds and actions. That's what I mean when I talk about the castrato image of Christ that people have in their minds. First, Jesus was confrontational. You all have read the entire bible at least twenty times and aparently memorized all of Romans. So think back to those passages where Jesus and the apostles gave people a little bit of rough handling. A Christian isn't meant to be a verbal or intellectual doormat, okay? Don't treat me like one.

Secondly, don't confuse what a person says with what a person does. I know a lot of Christians who have affected the victorian attitude and have a lifestyle that is anything but indicative of the supposed reality of Christ in their lives. I won't do that. Various biblical authors write about the circumcision of the heart rather than the superficial circumcision of the flesh. The point is that Christian discipleship is more than just the superficial pretension of minimalist action. If I speak like an angel and don't do any of the things I'm supposed to do as a Christian then I'm far far worse than if I speak like a devil and struggle for the kingdom. This website, any website is all speech. Life is real. Not this.

Do you want to criticize my Christianity? Come walk with me through a week. Then tell me if I follow Jesus. You think my words can be the summation of my Christian thought? Stop kidding yourself. I don't follow a demure shy Jesus and I'm not a demure shy Christian.

You don't like it? Feh, stop reading my posts.

fwiw

sunshine-bear

Thanks. Why not lecture me somemore about a standard to which you do not hold?

Oh you see, for the majority of my life I belived in and tried to follow the teachings of the Xtian beast god. Then I actually decided to read the damn bible and found out what a fucking monster the Xtian god is.

I don't know if I'd say it's nausiating spiritual pride as much as it is simple jack-ass-ery.    What's you're excuse?

fwiw

guaca.

Same as yours, guac.  I'm an ass.  Looks like we share something.

My brotha from anotha motha...

Oh you see, for the majority of my life I belived in and tried to follow the teachings of the Xtian beast god.  Then I actually decided to read the damn bible and found out what a fucking monster the Xtian god is.

Does this mean you aren't gonna try to crawl up my colon if I say "ass"?

Hey guacamole,

Thanks for your reply. Certainly I agree everyone is ultimately responsible for the decisions they make. However, as you claim the Christian God, my Christian God, I feel obligated to take you to task. You can't justify the "I don't care" attitude biblically.

Peace!

BtR

I don't justify it Biblically. I do it for two reasons: First, you are accountable for yourself before God if you refuse the sacrifice offered on your behalf. I don't get neurotic about it. If other people don't become disciples I'm not going to spend any time pining about it, I have better things to do. Second, I don't mince words with people who try to emotionally manipulate me. I'll either ignore it give a dose of their own medicine. If that means I have to be scary Christian for people get the idea that they shouldn't pull that bull with me when, in actuality, they don't care one whit about Christian behavior, then I'll be that person.

My original comment was unpointed. It was an oblique reference to the "People who read the whole bible reject Christianity, Christians do not reject Christianity, therefore they haven't read the bible" line of reasoning. I understand that it upset people that I was implying that their exchristian world view isn't the tightly constructed intellectual fortress they think it to be. That's okay. But if the response to that is going to be emotional manipulation... :shrug: It's instructive to point out how quickly reason is abandoned in favor of emotionalism.

fwiw

guac.

Grrrrr.

I'm so sick of hearing about that book.

If you'd like to read a truly useful book about how our own minds do their damndest to save our own stupid asses, even when we aren't really listening to the danger cues our minds are clearly interpreting from signals we consciously misconstrue or ignore....

Read Gavin DeBecker's "Gift of Fear: Survival Signals That Protect Us From Violence"

WR~

I'm also sick of hearing about that book.

To answer the original question. I've read the Bible through multiple times.

Tap

IOW, that means saying something to the ExChristian jerks too.

Touché

In addition, let me say a word about copping a bad attitude in contrast to the milquetoast image of Christ some people have in their minds.

I probably had you all wrong. Now I see you have a nice sense of humor and I'm picturing in my mind a sort of Steven Segalish approach to christianity from these posts. :lmao:

I was a bit perturbed at what I read as an intimidation tactic in your debates. But hey, that's your style and I can deal with that. I can be a real asshole at times myself, especially when I'm dealing with ignorance. You obviously have a lot more knowledge than I in regards to mythology and pagan teachings so have at it with those who are more at your level. May the best man/woman win.

Guest MalaInSe
It was an oblique reference to the "People who read the whole bible reject Christianity, Christians do not reject Christianity, therefore they haven't read the bible" line of reasoning.

I don't know that that was the point. I took it as "Many Christians do not read the Bible and so frequently are talking out of their asses about their own faith." I can see how you took it as well.

Unfortunately, I am of the even more rigid opinion that Christians should make an effort to read the text they claim is so important in Greek (the NT, obviously, as opposed to the OT, which is Hebrew and really quite irrelevant to Christian thought from all appearances... unless they're speaking of homosexuality of course, but I digress).

It takes about a year max to learn enough to read the NT, and the nearly universal failure of Christians to do so is rather telling to me as to how important "God's word" really is to them. Many Christians will read every apologetic text out there, but not take the rather short time it takes to actually read the text they claim rules their lives.

I also think they should study the times and read other works in Greek so they have a better understanding of Greek images, idioms and themes, but I suspect that this is asking way too much... of the people that claim this book is the Word and oh so important to their lives.

Renee