Goodbye Jesus

Cognitive Dissonance At Its Cruelest

PitterPatter

For starters, I know it’s not wise to talk religion, sex, or politics at work. I only sit by one person at my workplace, and she’s a college girl who happens to be a pastor’s kid. I think of her more as a peer than a co-worker because we’re so close in age and we don’t actually do any work together.

She affectionately refers to herself as a “P.K.” (for pastor’s kid). I haven’t hidden from her that I’m an Atheist that was raised Baptist (bleh). Anyway, I got really upset and a little emotional about an article I read on cnn.com. Apparently “traditional healers” in Zimbabwe have convinced the public that men with HIV or AIDS can be cured by raping virgins. It was a somewhat positive story though because it was about a CNN hero that is the founder of a program called Girl Child Network that is helping tens of thousands of girls.

I couldn’t help but think that traditional religion and ways of thinking had to be a culprit here. What, but religion, could cause people to act so heinously and believe something so abhorrent? I explained the news story to this coworker, who I’ll just refer to as P.K. since she seems to like that (eye roll).

Here’s the basic dialogue that occurred:

Me: This sort of thing really gets to me. In all my searching for a moral absolute, the only one I could find is rape.

P.K.: Moral absolute?

Me: Yeah, something that is never ever okay under any circumstance.

P.K.: Oh, okay.

Me: Anyway, it really bothers me that this is the only moral absolute I can think of and I don’t know of any “holy” book that explicitly says, “Rape is wrong.”

P.K.: The bible does.

Me: No it doesn’t.

P.K.: Yes it does.

Me: (Slight laughter at her ignorant insistence) No it actually doesn’t.

P.K. YES it does.

Me: Well then can you please find it and show it to me because I haven’t been able to find it.

I’m kind of full of shit at this moment because I know for a fact that it isn’t in there and I just want the satisfaction of her failing to find it. P.K.’s eyes are glued to her monitor as she searches frantically for the non-existing verse where Yahweh hates rape. I turn around, leaving her to her futile task. I type “bible rape” and quickly pull up every verse that refers to rape and mutter words like, “Murder, pillage, rape.”

P.K.: The Internet has such bad concordance!

Me: Concordance?

P.K.: It’s a list of reference words in the back of the bible.

Me: Oh! Okay.

Ah yes…it’s the INTERNET’S fault. Of course… I didn’t rub it in, really. J I left it at that. But realizing just how ignorant she was about rape in the bible, I thought I’d get her take on this little gem…

Me: Did you know that in the old testament it actually says that if a virgin is raped she has to marry her rapist, and he has to pay her dad 50 pieces of silver?

P.K.: (at first confused, then trying to hide her confusion) Well, yeah, for absolution.

Me: I think that the idea of a rape victim having to marry her rapist is absolutely disgusting.

P.K.: Well, for absolution. This was like 200 years ago. [PFT!] If she didn’t marry him then no one would ever marry her and she’d be a disgrace to her family.

Now the feminist in me is severely losing patience…

Me: What kind of loving god wouldn’t want rape victims to be treated with dignity?

P.K.: That is treating them with dignity. Or they’d never be able to marry.

Me: That is NOT dignity!

P.K.: Yes it is!

Me: I disagree!

P.K.: Sucks for you! (I really can’t express to you just how smug and perky she sounded in this moment.)

I just turned away and put my earphones back in my ears and spent about an hour cooling off before having a little more small talk with her. We try to keep things civil since we’re stuck sitting next to each other for another couple of months. This girl is not stupid. She’s actually pretty intelligent and is likely to be fairly successful in life. But like all religious people, she checks her intellect at the door when it comes to religious matters. Watching a woman defend rape and this awful treatment of rape victims was sickening.

I believe a loving god would say that rapists are criminals that should be imprisoned, and rape victims should be embraced by their families and not discriminated against by eligible bachelors. And this whole idea that the pinnacle of a woman’s existence is to marry and have children...ugh!

I wanted to shout, “Clearly you don’t know what it feels like to be raped!” at her, but I really don’t want this uncomfortable fact of my life getting around the office. I’m glad I was able to restrain myself.

Alright, there’s my rant. Hehe.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
I believe a loving god would say that rapists are criminals that should be imprisoned, and rape victims should be embraced by their families and not discriminated against by eligible bachelors. And this whole idea that the pinnacle of a woman’s existence is to marry and have children...ugh!

YHWH had to work within the confines of the culture, such as it was, that made him up. He did the best he could.

Phanta

Excellent point. Which once yet again just goes to show that the Bible is nothing more than the institutionalized tribal practices of a primitive bunch of goatherds.

1. Despite being a PK, she either hasn't read the whole Bible or had someone "interpret" it for her the whole way through so that God always seems bright and shiny.

2. Her life experiences sound limited, probably mainly church activities.

3. She is on the defensive and no matter how stupid she sounds, she feels she has to protect the honor and rightness of scripture. She may even boast at church how she won an argument with an atheist at work.

I have several Xians at work and sometimes they assume that those around them hold the same values and view of reality. Other times they feel like the devil controls everyone around them and they are being persecuted for Jeeeeesuuuuuus! One guy was very clear in a diversity meeting that he "believes every word of the Bible" and felt that the workplace was prejudiced against his faith, meaning we aren't all raising our hands in subjection to his religion and compelling the employer to give 10% to his god. He is surrounded by people from his own congregation, and he still feels like he is in the minority.

Apparently “traditional healers” in Zimbabwe have convinced the public that men with HIV or AIDS can be cured by raping virgins.

I wonder what homosexuals think they're curing when they sodomise other men and get AIDS in the first place. :lmao:

I’m kind of full of shit at this moment because I know for a fact that it isn’t in there and I just want the satisfaction of her failing to find it. P.K.’s eyes are glued to her monitor as she searches frantically for the non-existing verse where Yahweh hates rape. I turn around, leaving her to her futile task. I type “bible rape” and quickly pull up every verse that refers to rape and mutter words like, “Murder, pillage, rape.”

You know the Bible prohibits sex outside of marriage. It's even one of the Ten Commandments. That's tantamount to prohibiting rape. But, someone with a small mind doesn't have room to retain something so familiar when there's a desire to latch onto a bigoted notion to use to harass a co-worker. You found that website with the word "rape", and because you lack the integrity to care what the Bible really says, you reached between your legs, fondling yourself, you thought, "I found a club that I can bash an unsuspecting Christian with."

I googled "bible rape" and the first thing that comes up is, "1) Murder, rape, and pillage at Jabesh-gilead (Judges 21:10-24 NLT)" You couldn't get it more backwards. That story condemns rape. The full story is that there were a bunch of sodomites that tried to rape (and kill) a man, failing to do that, they did manage to brutally rape his woman (she later died of extensive anal bleeding). These sodomites were living among the tribe of Benjamin. The Israelites demanded that the Benjamin turn over these b*ttpirates for execution for rape and murder, but the homophile Benjamites refused. This sparked a short civil war which nearly destroyed the Benjamites. The Bemjamites wanted woman to repopulate their tribe. The Israelites refused to let the Benjamites have any of their women. So, the evil Benjamites kidnapped women (like San Fran homosexuals kidnap, "adopt", children to rape and to populate their families). Very much the opposite of condoning or supporting this kidnapping, the Bible laments, " In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit."

Now, why don't you go back and apologize to that young lady?

Doobie, take your anti-gay rhetoric elsewhere.

....:twitch:

Doobie, are you fucking serious? Or are you some sort of trollpuppet?

I am glad we get Real Christians like Doobie to grace our forums from time to time. It is such a clear reminder of why we all left that hideous belief system behind. Anyone who can read the bible’s references to rape and come away supporting it exemplifies just how low that kind of belief system takes someone.

I wonder what homosexuals think they're curing when they sodomise other men and get AIDS in the first place.

Usually I am just thinking how great it feels when I am sodomizing my husband. I have done it hundreds of times and so far I don’t think I have even caught a cold. The fact that you would put a laughing icon after referring to the spread of deadly disease confirms my worst suspicions about you. You are a christian.

Doobie, your response to the opening post was cruel, callous and cold towards the victims of rape and women in general. Just the kind of response I expected from a member of your cult. Your faith is losing ground fast; I look forward to the day when it will die an unmourned death and you and your kind will be as irrelevant as the gods of Greeks.

• Like 1

<some homophobic, misogynist crap>

Y'know, I spent a few minutes typing up a brief, reasonable response to this, pointing out just how and where it was wrong... but then I realized: all of us here already know exactly how and why it's wrong. Any reasoned response would be a waste of time. In fact there's only one response appropriate for this sort of troll and his abuse:

Go fuck yourself, you bandwidth-sucking piece of shit. :Wendywhatever:

• Super Moderator

:goodpost:

PERFECT RESPONSE!

:woohoo:

My question is, why is he posting in this part of the forum in the first place? If he's a fundie, shouldn't he be restricted to the Lion's Den?

ETA: Or is it that fundies just aren't allowed to post in the Testimony section? I'm kind of confused about that. Either way, this guy is saying really hateful things and no one seems to be doing much about it.

My question is, why is he posting in this part of the forum in the first place? If he's a fundie, shouldn't he be restricted to the Lion's Den?

ETA: Or is it that fundies just aren't allowed to post in the Testimony section? I'm kind of confused about that. Either way, this guy is saying really hateful things and no one seems to be doing much about it.

Let the dumb fundie post.

This isnt "Rapture Ready"

I wonder what homosexuals think they're curing when they sodomise other men and get AIDS in the first place. :lmao:

Disgusting filth from Doobie, but not unexpected from a true christian.

Unless you are getting off on this ugly, you are in the wrong place for achieving whatever it is you think your posts will accomplish.

Phanta

The fact is, your atheist friend, PitterPatter, out of raw bigotry and ignorance (or dishonesty), proudly harassed a co-worker, and did the harassing with a backward interpretation of a biblical story. She then comes here to get applause and accolades. The biblical story really is about people being punished for rape, the opposite of what PitterPatter claimed. It's also a fact that these miserable rapists were something liberals hilariously like to call "gay". The Bible is against rape.

If you did not listen others telling you the truth, you will not listen to me. No matter how tactfully I corrected PitterPatter, it would not have penetrated the hatred and anger that's in this forum. All I would have accomplished with Miss California's tact and graciousness is a bigoted response less pointed than, "Go fuck yourself, you bandwidth-sucking piece of shit" (that's someone who is suffering from serious insecurity). Maybe not even that (as proved by that pervert judge). Some people hear simply pride themselves on their rudeness and obtuseness. BTW, I want to thank Gwenmead for not insulting reason and myself in any less direct manner, as he originally intended.

The only thing I intend to accomplish here is gain a better understanding. None of you would ever be treated in a Christian forum with even half the disrespect you people show for Christians (not meaning myself). Shame on you.

Then perhaps you, Doobie, should enlighten us with the verses that state that rape is wrong. Believe us, we have read your precious buy-bull, but not with rose coloured glasses.

The only thing I intend to accomplish here is gain a better understanding. None of you would ever be treated in a Christian forum with even half the disrespect you people show for Christians (not meaning myself). Shame on you.

There have been many Christians who have come here with nothing but respect, and have been given respect in return.

You, on the other hand, make homophobic remarks like the one just above.

Apparently “traditional healers” in Zimbabwe have convinced the public that men with HIV or AIDS can be cured by raping virgins.

You know the Bible prohibits sex outside of marriage. It's even one of the Ten Commandments. That's tantamount to prohibiting rape. But, someone with a small mind doesn't have room to retain something so familiar when there's a desire to latch onto a bigoted notion to use to harass a co-worker. You found that website with the word "rape", and because you lack the integrity to care what the Bible really says, you reached between your legs, fondling yourself, you thought, "I found a club that I can bash an unsuspecting Christian with."

I googled "bible rape" and the first thing that comes up is, "1) Murder, rape, and pillage at Jabesh-gilead (Judges 21:10-24 NLT)" You couldn't get it more backwards. That story condemns rape. The full story is that there were a bunch of sodomites that tried to rape (and kill) a man, failing to do that, they did manage to brutally rape his woman (she later died of extensive anal bleeding). These sodomites were living among the tribe of Benjamin. The Israelites demanded that the Benjamin turn over these b*ttpirates for execution for rape and murder, but the homophile Benjamites refused. This sparked a short civil war which nearly destroyed the Benjamites. The Bemjamites wanted woman to repopulate their tribe. The Israelites refused to let the Benjamites have any of their women. So, the evil Benjamites kidnapped women (like San Fran homosexuals kidnap, "adopt", children to rape and to populate their families). Very much the opposite of condoning or supporting this kidnapping, the Bible laments, " In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit."

Now, why don't you go back and apologize to that young lady?

If you had actually read the thread you would notice the OP is speaking of the morality against rape as an absolute. But, someone with a small mind doesn't have room to retain something so familiar when there's a desire to latch onto whatever reason they can to keep believing in their skydaddy.

Spousal rape.

You lose.

You know the Bible prohibits sex outside of marriage. It's even one of the Ten Commandments.

1. You are full of shit.

2. The 10 commandments does not prohibit "sex outside marriage" but prohibits adultery. There is a difference. Look it up.

3. You are full of shit.

You know the Bible prohibits sex outside of marriage. It's even one of the Ten Commandments.

1. You are full of shit.

2. The 10 commandments does not prohibit "sex outside marriage" but prohibits adultery. There is a difference. Look it up.

3. You are full of shit.

Thank you. I was waiting for someone to call him on that.

Doobie is a troll. He likes to hit the bees nest and watch them buzz around. When it gets quiet, he hits it again and watches them buzz around again.

1. You are full of shit.

3. You are full of shit.

Adultery is sex outside of marriage (even if only for someone who is married). At least on points 1 and 3 you didn't try exceed your ability (monosyllabic insults). Next time, you might cry about the typo. Even if you were right, it's hardly consequential to my post. Atheists, LOL.

1. You are full of shit.

3. You are full of shit.

Adultery is sex outside of marriage (even if only for someone who is married). At least on points 1 and 3 you didn't try exceed your ability (monosyllabic insults). Next time, you might cry about the typo. Even if you were right, it's hardly consequential to my post. Atheists, LOL.

The dictionary disagrees with you.

Main Entry:

adul·tery

Pronunciation:

\ə-ˈdəl-t(ə-)rē\

Function:

noun

Inflected Form(s):

plural adul·ter·ies

Etymology:

Middle English, alteration of avoutrie, from Anglo-French avulterie, from Latin adulterium, from adulter adulterer, back-formation from adulterare

Date:

15th century

: voluntary sexual intercourse between a married man and someone other than his wife or between a married woman and someone other than her husband ; also : an act of adultery

It says nothing in the definition about people who aren't married. Premarital sex is not adultery.

Next time, you might cry about the typo. Even if you were right, it's hardly consequential to my post. Atheists, LOL.

Weak. I'd rate that a 2/10 on the troll scale.

1. You are full of shit.

Yes, he's full of 10 shits.

He doesn't look anything up, he asks the Holy Spirit for revelation, and whatever pops up in his head is... from the Holy Spirit.

3. You are full of shit.

And water, and some other trace elements. But essentially, yes, you're right, most of his bodily existence consists of shit in some form.

Doobie is a troll. He likes to hit the bees nest and watch them buzz around. When it gets quiet, he hits it again and watches them buzz around again.

So we can conclude form this study that shit equals trolls.

Hey, that's a new one. Perhaps trolls grow out of piles of shit? Like the phoenix bird out of ashes, the trolls rise out of pile of manure.

And water, and some other trace elements. But essentially, yes, you're right, most of his bodily existence consists of shit in some form.

See, atheists can admit we are all full of shit, at least physically.