Goodbye Jesus

Paganism/ Witchcraft

Autonomous

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here left Christianity and went into paganism or witchcraft? I was a pagan for about 2 years until recently when I have become more of an atheist. I still miss it though, and wish I believed in it, which is probably why I'd like to talk about it!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shyone

• MultifariousBirdLady

• lunaticheathen

• Midnight-mindwanderings

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here left Christianity and went into paganism or witchcraft? I was a pagan for about 2 years until recently when I have become more of an atheist. I still miss it though, and wish I believed in it, which is probably why I'd like to talk about it!!

I'm not but I do understand. I can see a certain majesty in nature that is truly awe inspiring and is virtually ignored by more major religions.

As for witchcraft, I could never get past the problem that spells work with the same probability as prayers.

I definitely left Christianity for paganism and it helped me greatly. I too had the same problem of having to admit that I didn't really believe in gods or spells either. I remain what I call an atheistic pagan or pantheist. Spells and meditations help me focus and improve my own life/ attitudes. Celebrating the various rituals makes me feel more connected to nature physically and it gives me a feeling of peace. Because of the way we live it takes extra effort to connect to nature and acknowledge the power forces at work. When its cold, we have heat, when its dark we have light, on and on. For me, the allure was the balance in genders and the openness of sexuality. Christianity had left me sexually handicapped and exploring paganism helped me get out of that. I am also an environmentalist and so that fits well with paganism. I know that the gods/ goddesses are just representations of human qualities and natural events and that their stories were meant to be be human stories. Its not dogma, its not "true" in the literal sense. But you can get some truth out of it and learn more about an ancient way of thinking and living at the same time. Plus I am very imaginative. When looking at inanimate objects I cannot help but give them personality, but that doesn't mean I can't distinguish between reality and fantasy. Also, as I tell my friends, I just really like being called a witch! It scares more Christians than you'd think and that cracks me up.

Because of the way we live it takes extra effort to connect to nature and acknowledge the power forces at work. When its cold, we have heat, when its dark we have light, on and on.

Bingo. I used to backpack, and it was truly communing with nature (even though we had many of the comforts of home). Just looking at star filled skies (without interference from streetlights), seeing a landscape without telephone poles, and adapting my activities to nature made such experiences very satisfying.

You also get a greater sensitivity to little things like weather. Amazing how weather affects you when you don't have any place to hide from it. It almost made me want to worship Thor when my tent blew down with me in it and thunder was all around me (including beneath me!).

An atheistic approach to Wicca makes sense to me. I don't buy the supernatural in any form, but I do see the value in respect for others, for the planet we live on, and for the other living beings we share it with.

And rituals are always cool, as long as nobody's cat has to die.

You rang? I can't say I go in for conventional witchcraft, and have instead gone more for a Chaos Magic(k if you're being picky) approach to things. I've also gone in a more atheistic direction, kind of.

I had a pagan handfasting for my wedding. I got to write it myself, it took place at Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, CO and cost about $500 including the dinner afterwards. The great thing was, we officiated it ourselves so no clergy, no court officials. And no one's cat had to die ;D

Only 20 people came and in order to get presents from my very christian family (who did not accept that we were married) we had a Christian ceremony a few months later that also cost next to nothing.

n16816057_35578811_5876.jpg

• Super Moderator

I think it's a harmless way to connect with reality - the earth and forces of nature. The Pagans I've met are much more fun than Christians. Most can take their mythology and symbols for what they are, unlike Christians. Most of them are also horny. Some are crazy.

Sometimes I wear a pentagram or sigil just to start conversations and/or irritate/scare Christians.

And rituals are always cool, as long as nobody's cat has to die.

I'd probably have trouble even doing a chicken. My grandma used to pour salt on slugs at dusk to entertain me and my brother when we were kids staying over. I never confessed that even that kind of bothered me. She was a Baptist, though. Now I scoop them up with a small shovel and toss them in my nieghbour's yard. Under a full moon, and he's a Mormon.

It's kind of trippy, actually.

Sometimes I can see myself going this way. I did some research awhile back and found some quotes about the basic worldview of Wicca that were very appealing. In the end, though, I don't think I'm comfortable at this point using the language and concept of a deity even as a symbol. As someone said earlier, spells would feel too much like prayer.

I've gone through the same struggle. I don't know on which side of the fence I sit sometimes.

I've never really looked too in depth in most of these just because there gets to be a bit too much of a "religion" undertone in some of it, but I also definitely feel the need to stay connected with nature. We camp, and I've got the animals, so that usually gets me a pretty good dose of nature. There are some things I'd be interested in learning more about just for my own edification - my mom was so anti-pagan (it was/is her mission to convert them since she seems to think she was into naturalism at one time) that I never got to learn much about it other than it was evil - and by the time I could learn, I was more concerned about getting out of christianity.

I consider myself a "pagan atheist." I agree with whats been said before about a respect for nature. I have somewhat of a belief in ghosts, but I also believe there is a scientific explanation for them.

I will say this for spells (haven't done them in a few years though), unlike prayer, at least they require some actual work done (finding herbs, unscented proper length and color candles can be a pain in the @ss!).

I've practiced some magic and witchcraft. However, Deity does bother me quite a bit, even if they did exist, I couldn't worship another being just based upon their power. I could respect that being, if respect was earned, but nothing more. So I classify myself as an atheist, even if I do dabble in paganism, and find certain deities pretty cool, according to their myths.

Seems to me like it's just exchanging one set of silly beliefs for another....though the whole paganism/witchcrft thing is much more palatable and alluring.

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here left Christianity and went into paganism or witchcraft?

Hail Thor!

Any questions? :fdevil:

Wicca, unlike Judeo xian crap, is at least something I can wish to be true. But I don't believe in it for that.

I'm looking into it. At the same time, I'm looking into psychic stuff, Reiki, yoga, and crystals. I keep running into power in one bookstore and I'm trying to figure out why. It feels reallllly good in this one spot in the store.

Anyway, the concept that the Source of life is intelligent, but doesn't want worship per se, is interesting. I am having to relearn how to deal with deity. The yoga folks are basically saying that we are an extension of "god" and not really separate except in our own imaginations, and the exploring this leads to states of bliss and good stretching. The Reiki teachings have a Source power that isn't looking for worship, but gratitude. The crystals are pretty and some seem to have clear effects on me, though I am not sure why at this point. So I continue to investigate and ponder, not wanting to trade one lie for another, but at the same time be open to things that I used to consider "the dark side" while seeing that they aren't always bad.

I'm looking into it. At the same time, I'm looking into psychic stuff, Reiki, yoga, and crystals. I keep running into power in one bookstore and I'm trying to figure out why. It feels reallllly good in this one spot in the store.

Maybe it's next to an airconditioning vent, or perhaps a more insulated area with less sound, or the lighting and colors are pleasing.

Not to mix eastern stuff, but I'd call it Feng Shui.

Anyway, the concept that the Source of life is intelligent, but doesn't want worship per se, is interesting. I am having to relearn how to deal with deity. The yoga folks are basically saying that we are an extension of "god" and not really separate except in our own imaginations, and the exploring this leads to states of bliss and good stretching. The Reiki teachings have a Source power that isn't looking for worship, but gratitude. The crystals are pretty and some seem to have clear effects on me, though I am not sure why at this point. So I continue to investigate and ponder, not wanting to trade one lie for another, but at the same time be open to things that I used to consider "the dark side" while seeing that they aren't always bad.

Crystals are pretty. Diamonds, rubies, emeralds and other precious stones have a clear effect on me.

Seems to me like it's just exchanging one set of silly beliefs for another....though the whole paganism/witchcrft thing is much more palatable and alluring.

Thanks for taking my answer Vix :HaHa:

I did some pagan research reecently, and while it is much more interesting than xianity, I'm still not interested in "joining the club". I think, ultimately, that I want to spend my time in the here and now without thoughts of the supernatural and/or afterlife. Call me simple. But each to his own.

Recently I've been self-describing as a humanist and an agnostic atheist, but living just across the street from agnostic theism. I've spent far more time as a Norse heiðinn than I ever spent attending Christian services. I still wear Thor's hammer Mjöllnir and a silver oath ring on a thong around My neck (plus a valknut when I have Valkyrie Work to do); celebrate equinoxes and solstices; and consider the Æsir and Vanir to be My family.

I've also been dabbling in magic since I was about twelve years old, finally tossing away virtually all of the standard stuff and coming into My own as a solitary practitioner of freestyle seiðr (think 'emotionally driven, impromptu shamanic magic'). My objective now is to identify statistically significant magical inputs and outputs, and see if there's actually a scientific basis for it.

My objective now is to identify statistically significant magical inputs and outputs, and see if there's actually a scientific basis for it.

Will you accept the results if they clearly demonstrate that there is absolutely no effect of magic?

Will you accept the results if they clearly demonstrate that there is absolutely no effect of magic?

Yes. Because I'd rather be stuck with a boring truth than a lively delusion. (Unless it's late October, that is, and I'm trying to come up with a plot for this year's novel.)

I'll probably keep trying to find alternate explanations for a couple of truly spectacular bits of woo I've experienced, though, because "coincidence" and "confirmation bias" aren't particularly satisfying.

Yes. Because I'd rather be stuck with a boring truth than a lively delusion. (Unless it's late October, that is, and I'm trying to come up with a plot for this year's novel.)

I'll probably keep trying to find alternate explanations for a couple of truly spectacular bits of woo I've experienced, though, because "coincidence" and "confirmation bias" aren't particularly satisfying.

I'm a boring realist, but I get a kick out of movies with plots, even if they are supernatural (within some limits).

I liked the movie Ghost, for example. Even movies about Heaven and second chances are entertaining.

My interest in fictional novels waxes and wanes, but I generally go for historical fiction. Like "The Name of the Rose."