Goodbye Jesus

What Is Happening In 2012?

Obscurity

Okay, so I'm sure you guys know about this whole 2012 thing - there are countless theories going around.

People are either saying that there's going to be a huge catastrophe or apocalypse or a shift in consciousness...or all of the above.

I've managed to find critical/skeptical reviews of the apocalypse theories, but I can't seem to find any skeptical information of the consciousness shift theory. I like to examine things from more than one side and it's really bothering me that I can't find anything that attempts to "debunk" the stuff about the change in consciousness or harmonic convergence or whatever you want to call it.

Where are all the skeptics? Did they all start believing in this as soon as they looked at the evidence? I can't be certain I'm seeing the full picture unless I look at both sides.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagnarus

• Franko47

• Obscurity

• Shyone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Super Moderator

How does one debunk such a "prophecy?" The so-called consciousness shift is claimed to have already started by some (they need to show evidence, not me).

If I claim that your house will float off the ground on October 16th, how do prove me wrong prior to that date?

How does one debunk such a "prophecy?" The so-called consciousness shift is claimed to have already started by some (they need to show evidence, not me).

If I claim that your house will float off the ground on October 16th, how do prove me wrong prior to that date?

Obviously, you make a good point - it's not easy to debunk and it may not even be possible. It's just that all this 2012 stuff is driving me crazy - it feels like it's everywhere!

As for evidence, there is a lot of supposed evidence that new agers give for this "global consciousness shift", but there seems to be a severe shortage of critical thinking.

Some of the "evidence" is of a mathematical nature, so I can't debunk it because I'm pretty much disabled when it comes to math.

I have to admit that there are a lot of really weird coincidences revolving around 2012, but I'm not sure what it all means, or if it means anything at all.

Best method to evaluate the truth of the 2012 is to wait.

• Super Moderator
It's just that all this 2012 stuff is driving me crazy - it feels like it's everywhere!

Think Y2K.

Then, read the paranoia thread.

I know, but I'm not exactly patient, and this stuff is really creeping me out.

It's just that all this 2012 stuff is driving me crazy - it feels like it's everywhere!

Think Y2K.

Then, read the paranoia thread.

Yeah, I'm really hoping this does turn out to be just another Y2K. I'm going to check out the paranoia thread (since this stuff is admittedly making me paranoid).

I'm still looking for a way to cash in on the 2012 paranoia. There's got to be an angle there somewhere.

This stuff has been covered from practically every angle already...but maybe you can pretend to find apocalyptic messsages in a can of alphagetti.

So, we'll know in 2013. Just like we did after Y2K.

As for evidence, there is a lot of supposed evidence that new agers give for this "global consciousness shift", but there seems to be a severe shortage of critical thinking.

Some of the "evidence" is of a mathematical nature, so I can't debunk it because I'm pretty much disabled when it comes to math.

I have to admit that there are a lot of really weird coincidences revolving around 2012, but I'm not sure what it all means, or if it means anything at all.

I once bought a book by Hal Lindsey about the end of the world which was supposed to happen in the late 1980s.

Lots of evidence (mostly biblical).

We all want to know the future, so we listen to those who claim to know it. Mostly bunk, but occasionally there will be a gem of "prediction" as opposed to "prophecy." Evaluate the evidence as best you can, but if the author is a fear monger, take it will a big grain of salt.

Incidentally, I studied Mayan religion, culture and prophecy, and any prediction based on their calendar is bullshit. That should cure most of the "mathematical" part, unless they go to Revelations - which is also bullshit. But then there's - what?

One of the things that's often cited as proof by the new agers is Terrence McKenna's Novelty Theory (also called Timewave Zero). It's supposedly based on mathematical calculations and historical analysis. I don't get it.

here's a newsflash for ya.....

Mayans - if they could prophesy several hundred years into the future, how come they never saw the Spanish coming and wiping them off the planet?

Think about it...

I agree. The prophesy itself is so nebulous that it's essentially a waste of time and energy to attack it. I, Myself, plan to be having My usual Jól party roundabout 'zero hour', end of the world or not.

The only thing major that will happen and go wrong is a presidential election.

The only thing major that will happen and go wrong is a presidential election.

Holy Misogynistic Electorate, Batman! The Mayans were predicting the election of Hillary Clinton! :eek:

The Great Disappointment of 1844 is something most people don't really know about, but it was a big deal at the time. Adventists are also constantly predicting the end of the world. 2012 is a 'big' date because people have this mystical idea about the Mayans. That the religious have jumped on the bandwagon is confusing as all get out to me. Since when does the bible account for Mayan calenders? People who try to predict the end of the world piss me off because they are feeding off the fear of others. I can't think of much more despicable behavior.

• Super Moderator

Why do people think these ancient cultures were so "spiritual" and "advanced" to the point they could predict the future? I guess it's part of the "noble savage" mythology. They were just people, very much like us but lacking our current tools, technology and experience. I would also like to say they were more superstitious, but look around. We still have barbaric desert religions shaping history, and people who still believe in ghosts, crystals, Nostradamus, tarot, astrology, and the "wisdom" of the ancient societies that weren't wise enough to even survive.

How many failed doomsday predictions are needed before everyone realizes that prophecy is bunk?

It's fun to believe in magic, but let's try a dose of reality before we fall into our inevitable extinction. It's the 21st Century - evolve already.

Sorry. Rant over.

The Great Disappointment of 1844 is something most people don't really know about, but it was a big deal at the time.

Prophecy was my first step to atheism. It was fake, illogical and destructive. Was the Great Disappointment to do with the Millerites?

Q. What's going to happen in 2012?

A. 2012

The Great Disappointment of 1844 is something most people don't really know about, but it was a big deal at the time. Adventists are also constantly predicting the end of the world.

Know all about it. Adventists predicted the end in 1844 and then they invented the sanctuary doctrine just so they could keep babling about their 'prophecies' and still seem credible.

Prophecy was my first step to atheism. It was fake, illogical and destructive. Was the Great Disappointment to do with the Millerites?

Yeah the Great Disapointment had to do with the Millerites/Adventists. If you faind mainstream prophecy understanding illogical you should have read William Miller. I read some of what he wrote. It was seriously the worst piece of theology I've ever read. But then what you get served at todays SDA's churches is a downwatered and very very refined Millerism compared to the original thing.

About the only thing even remotely scientific about 2012 that I've heard is that the sun is supposed to be really active about then. Flares, spots, magnetic phenomena, etc. coinciding with some weirdness in the Earth's magnetic field. Not really a TEOWAWKI but could do some interesting electrical stuff.

Anyway, we know the world goes on longer. The great prophets Rush have stated that the Solar Federation is taken over in 2112.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'll have a 2012 party!

Nothing is going to happen in 2012.

It's just another stupid end of the world scenario based on crazy psuedoscience.

2012 is when we re-elect Obama :)

I think I'll have a 2012 party!

I think I just figured out the real purpose of these silly end of the world scares.

Let's make up more apocalyptic bullshit, guys. :D

Also, our solar system is supposedly to line up directly with the galactic center on Dec.

21 2012, and this is some how going to be devastating, according to one theory. This happens

about every 26,000 years. If that is true, then how are we still here,since life was

supposed to be wiped-out 26,000 years ago and not enough time for a few survivors to evolve

into what we are now with the current population.

As far as the shift in consciousness goes, who knows? The world could sure use a

shift in consciousness, I think. I'm shifting my consciousness to the 5th dimension in 2012. :wicked:

In 2012 the aliens will finally make their presence widely known to us and they will promote us into the galactic kindergarten for our own good.

Anyone who’s anyone knows that.