Goodbye Jesus

Running The Gauntlet

Centauro

New Update:

I am surrounded by fucking lunatics...

Had another study last night. Got to the Johannine comma, and asked what others thought. Totally blew me off and moved on to another verse. Wife was uncomfortable and when we got home she was picking at me about some minor household issues, after she downed 2 very large vodka tonics. Slurred speeched clued me in that she was really buzzed. I again told her she had a problem with alcohol, she didn't disagree, but rationalized that it helped her sleep...whatever.

For some reason she brought up salvation (again). I rolled my eyes and said I read somewhere that even Billy Graham doesn't believe that all who don't believe are doomed to hell. She said I was a liar and didn't believe me.

I found a youtube video of Robert Schuller interviewing Graham where he said all people have christ in them and are not doomed. She was dumbfounded. It really was a mind fuck for her, especially with the booze on board!! Here is the link:

She said it was a hoax, but did some research online and found no evidence that it was made up. It really shook her up.

This morning there was a note on the kitchen table apologizing to me. She said she is angry, has been for years, and has been harboring unforgiveness in her heart towards for a long time. For what, I have no idea, other than I refuse to be the "christian" she wants me to be.

This is lunacy...the bible study is a circle jerk...my wife comes home pissed at me, gets smashed and picks a fight.

This is fucking lunacy..

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Centauro

• Citsonga

• Shyone

• ClaraOlive

Had another study last night. Got to the Johannine comma, and asked what others thought. Totally blew me off and moved on to another verse.

That's not surprising, I guess. Most christians approach the bible as simply something to edify them and strengthen their faith, not something to be examined critically.

Wife was uncomfortable and when we got home she was picking at me about some minor household issues, after she downed 2 very large vodka tonics. Slurred speeched clued me in that she was really buzzed. I again told her she had a problem with alcohol, she didn't disagree, but rationalized that it helped her sleep...whatever....

This is lunacy...the bible study is a circle jerk...my wife comes home pissed at me, gets smashed and picks a fight.

This is fucking lunacy..

I hear ya. Sorry it sucks so bad. Did you bring up the biblical passages condemning drunkenness?

For some reason she brought up salvation (again). I rolled my eyes and said I read somewhere that even Billy Graham doesn't believe that all who don't believe are doomed to hell. She said I was a liar and didn't believe me.

I found a youtube video of Robert Schuller interviewing Graham where he said all people have christ in them and are not doomed. She was dumbfounded. It really was a mind fuck for her, especially with the booze on board!! Here is the link:

She said it was a hoax, but did some research online and found no evidence that it was made up. It really shook her up.

Wow, I knew that Billy Graham sometimes deviated from traditional christian theology, but I didn't realize he went that far. Interesting....

I found a youtube video of Robert Schuller interviewing Graham where he said all people have christ in them and are not doomed.... Here is the link:

Wow, I knew that Billy Graham sometimes deviated from traditional christian theology, but I didn't realize he went that far. Interesting....

Oh, I just watched the video, and it wasn't quite what I expected from what you said. He doesn't say that all people have christ in them, he says that there are some who haven't heard the name of christ who have christ in them. That's broader than many christians would allow, but not as broad as I had interpreted your comment to mean.

I think Billy Graham and others are basing that statement off of Romans 2:14-15:

(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them.)

I recently ran into a morality/HS voice guiding us discussion with a pastor at my church. He feels that the HS guides all people, and they can either choose to accept it and follow it, or ignore it. One of the problems that I have with that philosophy is that it actively leads people away from the Christianity. You have great moral teachers (like the Dalai Lama) who, according to my pastor, are listening to the voice of the HS and the laws written on their hearts. In the process, they make a strong case for other faiths.

This, combined with a lack of interest in the inerrancy of the bible (for some) leads to a strong argument against Christianity.

I recently ran into a morality/HS voice guiding us discussion with a pastor at my church. He feels that the HS guides all people, and they can either choose to accept it and follow it, or ignore it. One of the problems that I have with that philosophy is that it actively leads people away from the Christianity. You have great moral teachers (like the Dalai Lama) who, according to my pastor, are listening to the voice of the HS and the laws written on their hearts. In the process, they make a strong case for other faiths.

That's true, but its also a case of giving the Christian God a credit where none is due.