Goodbye Jesus

Lets Play A Game! Name that Religious Atrocity!

ynotbegoodtoall

The burning at the stake of Michael Servetus for daring to have doctrinal differences of opinion with John Calvin.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ynotbegoodtoall

• Toxic

• Vixentrox

• LithaB

Burning of the library of Alexandria.(Think that's enough to prove any point right there)

Merlin

Gah...

When I think of how much knowledge was lost in that blaze, how much further down the path of scientific advancement we might be today if it hadn't happened...

When I think of the kind of people who would do such a thing... I fervently hope there is no afterlife.

For their sake.

Burning of the library of Alexandria.(Think that's enough to prove any point right there)

Actually, the Library of Alexandria was never really "burned", at least not in a single event. Early in Christian history, some new Christians raided the library for texts praising non-Christian gods and religions. The library still existed and had a collection for the next 500 years or so, however, until the Muslims invaded and burned the remainder of the texts for fuel. Then the building was subjected to the same treatment as so many others - the stones peeled off to build palaces, mosques, etc. and like many other Alexandria landmarks, eventually the foundation slipped under the sea.

Missionary work among indigenous peoples.

As an amateur archaeologist and cultural anthropologist, there is nothing I hate more than the white man's need to prove himself superior to every other culture in the world and take over all other nations and peoples. It still continues on today, as Americanization. What really disgusts me is that slimy opinion that the "savages" needed to be converted to Christianity, not only for their souls but because even though the civilizations in question were in existence long before the European Christian ones, they still needed to be "civilized" so that the Europeans could almost view them as real people.

'Praying Rapist' murders 68 year old woman after raping her. Man repeats Church periapts whilst committing his horrible sex attacks on aged women in South East London.

A Bradford man described in mitigation by his church leader as a 'devoted practising Christian' made menacing telephone calls to young mothers threatening to throw acid in their children's faces, stab and burn them.

Church Choir tenor and dole fraud investigator Ian MacKenzie, 35, was jailed for four years for sexually assaulting boys aged between 12 and 14. MacKenzie forced them into felatio after making them shackle him with chains and rope and then thrashing him with a horsewhip.

I don't think these particular incidents are really all that relevant, since Christianity is rather only loosely associated with them. A guy happens to recite prayers, a guy happens to be a Christian, a guy happens to be in a choir and still do terrible things. I don't think the Church really had any involvement.

Mormon underwear.

LOL, I know, isn't that bizarre?

For mine:

That particular form of early Muslim evangelism which involved invaded countries by the sword and offering inhabitants to convert, pay a tax and live as second-class citizens, or die.

The mistreatment of animals due to religious laws and the idea that they "don't have souls", "don't feel pain/emotions" or "God gave them to us to use and exploit". The same goes for enviromental problems.

The vastly ignored mass vandalism/destruction of Korean Buddhist temples, Buddhist organizations, and Buddhists themselves in South Korea, and the fact that highly visible Korean Christian religious leaders do nothing but egg them on while the SK government turns a blind eye.

However, let us not forget the efforts made in destructing religion - Stalin, Mao, Castro..... All done in the name of atheism.

Every miscreant well intended law meant to protect us from ourselves, passed by the Puritanical Proctors of our societies.

Gun, drug, sex, thinking, education, whatever rules, for most part promoted and passed by religious sorts wanting, but not having the power, to sway public actions.

The biggest "secular sin" promoted by the religious? Non-Jeffersonian "Democracy".

kL

• 1 year later...

Great Answers All! Lets keep this thread going! It's been a while!

Benny Hinn and how he preys on the sick and dieing.

All the great Paulist leaders who don't call him on the carpet.

Tim Lahaye and his Left Behind series. Having millions believing there is no hope and giving them the belief that things need to get worse for Christ to come. At one time, this series of books was the most requested by soldiers stationed in Iraq.

To many wars to name.

Young girls being forced into marriages by their prophet.

Do I hear one for abortion clinic bombers?

How about "abstinence only" sex ed?

Max, you beat me to it. I was fixing to edit my previous post to . . . the spread of AIDS due to absteince based education and the fear of condoms.

Feel free to make your list as long as you like!

The catholic church for preaching that you are a sinner and you need god"s forgivness. Confession and forcing you to be truly sorry for your sins even when these sins are thoughts. Fucking Neurotic nuns who humiliated you in grade school and made you emotional wrecks! Fuck everything associated with that! How about all those fucking nuns being dead now in 2007 with noone to replace them. They thought they were fucking gods!!!!

I have no problems with one set of cultists offing another... it's the name of the game.

However, my contribution - The Mughal genocide of the Indian Buddhists.

The Thuggee cult, muslim and hindu worshippers of the hindu god Kali, were estimated to be responsible for 2,000,000 ritual murders from 1200 AD to 1900 AD.

The horrifying oppression of peasants by the buddhist theocracy of Tibet.

The mind boggling numbers of human beings sacrified in the name of the Aztec religion.

And while we are talking about people who were killed by religion, let's not forget the post traumatic stress suffered by the survivors who witnessed these atrocities.

The stoning of ACHAN'S LITTLE KIDS to satiate the god Yahweh.

The forced expulsion of all Jews and Muslims from Spain under Ferdinand and Isabella, unless, of course, they converted to Christianity.

The destruction of indigenous cultures by Christian Missionaries - going on to this very day.

The persection carried out by the Ustashas in Croatia against non Catholics.

The endorsement of the Nazi, Fascist and Falagnist movements by both Catholic and Lutheran clegymen.

The Body (of Christ) who starved two children to death because the leader had visions that God told them to. The kids were the leader's children. He is now in prison, trying to prove he was legally insane at the time. He was a friend of mine growing up. Can't imagine how his life turned into such evil.

A link from some Christian site about it.

Animals like dogs and pigs killed by Muslims for being 'unclean'

Women tortured, burnt to death and hung by Christians for being 'witches'

The desruction of Ancient Europe's arts, sciences, sanitation and roads by Christians

Guest CBenjaminHaag

This may not merit the word "atrocity," but it's the first thing that comes to mind...with respect, that is, only to the flavors of Evangelical Christianity that I happen to have seen and heard.

* Teaching people, often starting in their childhood days, that they are subject to an infinite being who loves them with the caveat that not loving Him back will get them eternal agony and suffering. * Teaching people that they owe Jesus an "impossible debt" because he supposedly died to pay for sin that God created in the first place. * Teaching people to treat sexuality as a moral threat, and to live their lives in neurotic paranoia. * Asserting that Jesus is "the one true way," thereby creating communities of evangelistic nitwits who believe that it is their duty to tell the world around them how to love. * Requiring that people "accept" claims that have no basis in logic or history or, often, basic human logic, and to all but disown the very rational faculties that their loving God supposedly gave them, as a prerequisite for faith. * Categorically labeling gay and lesbian people as perverted, as sick, as needful of "recovery." * Suggesting that an abused woman is somehow hurting or disobeying her "God" by divorcing the bullying, cowardly fuck who habitually hurts her. * Ejecting a pastor from the church that he served for 20 years after his wife, who comes out as a lesbian, divorces him, because certain of their leadership "can't support or respect a divorced pastor --" and turning their collective backs on him and for that matter his children, who are all the while seeing their family ripped apart (oh, by the way, if it weren't sadly obvious, these are people close to me).

To name a few.

Well said, CBen, it is an atrocity. You summed up very well the brainwashing process and its insideous effects.

The concept of original sin.

It is said: In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue; in 1493 Columbus took all he could see.

Columbus and his men are responsible for the genocide of the Indians that had populated the Caribbean. When he first encountered them, he was amazed how naive they were. They just handed over their possessions if asked for them. Not finding the gold that he thought he'd find, he forced them to work in mines and set up a tribute system each Indian was forced to pay. The Indian women were then refusing to give birth. They either made themselves abort or killed their children at birth in order to keep their children from living in such oppressive conditions. Columbus also took the Indians as slaves back to Spain and it was said, one could find their way back to Spain from Hispaniola by following the trail of bodies of dead Indians that littered the Atlantic. Of the first 500 Indians that were sent to Spain as slaves, only 23 made it there alive. Columbus men hunted the Indians for sport and killed them for dog food. They captured 9 and 10 year old Indian girls to use as sex slaves. BTW, Happy Columbus Day everyone. The man is considered a hero.

Ponce De Leon, was the first European to set foot in Florida. He did not come to Florida to find the Fountain of Youth. He came to Florida to capture slaves. However, the Florida Indians fought back. They said it was better to die 100 deaths than to be used as a slave. Every single historic site,here in Florida that I've gone to, paints the Indians as warlike attacking Ponce De Leon's party for no provocation and Ponce De Leon as a peaceful explorer. It is never mentioned, in my children's history books of Florida or historical sites that Ponce De Leon was so brutally sadistic to the Indians that he was removed from his governorship of Puerto Rico before he set foot in Florida.

The Holocaust wasn't the first genocide of the 20th century. It was the genocide of the Armenians by the Turks during WWI. Hitler reasoned that people simply forget about atrocities saying, "No one remembers the Armenians."

The invasion of China and the Rape of Nanking by the Japanese. Though, not a Christian motivation. The Japanese were so horrific that the Nazi's were horrified by their brutality against the Chinese.

The concept of original sin.

It is said: In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue; in 1493 Columbus took all he could see.

Columbus and his men are responsible for the genocide of the Indians that had populated the Caribbean. When he first encountered them, he was amazed how naive they were. They just handed over their possessions if asked for them. Not finding the gold that he thought he'd find, he forced them to work in mines and set up a tribute system each Indian was forced to pay. The Indian women were then refusing to give birth. They either made themselves abort or killed their children at birth in order to keep their children from living in such oppressive conditions. Columbus also took the Indians as slaves back to Spain and it was said, one could find their way back to Spain from Hispaniola by following the trail of bodies of dead Indians that littered the Atlantic. Of the first 500 Indians that were sent to Spain as slaves, only 23 made it there alive. Columbus men hunted the Indians for sport and killed them for dog food. They captured 9 and 10 year old Indian girls to use as sex slaves. BTW, Happy Columbus Day everyone. The man is considered a hero.

check out a track called "Hitler Day" by Public Enemy

The utter destruction of nearly all pre-Columbian writings, philosophy, art, artifacts, and architecture of the Aztecs by the Conquistadors and the culture-raping missionaries. . . <insert sounds of inarticulate rage here> All the beautiful things that culture created, gone, leaving us with only the horror of their human sacrifices and religious violence... which we can hardly freaking understand because the damned Spaniards destroyed their bloody books!

The "Index of Banned Books." Fuck you very much, Catholic Church. :vtffani:

Cortez. Pizzarro. 'Nuff said.

Islam's ban on graphic arts -- who knows what kind of beautiful art could have come from all those countries forcibly converted by Mohammed? The great artistic lineages of Egypt and Persia, murdered overnight by some desert bigot.

I'm gonna go puke now.