Goodbye Jesus

"case For Christ" And "evidence That Demands A Verdict"

Mutate

If Jesus is a recycled Mirtha, then all of ancient Greek Mythology would be recycled!! :HaHa:

It was.

Try reading up on mythological studies sometime. Nutshell version -- they all can be traced back to primitive tribal beliefs which develop independently among human societies everywhere.

You think the Jesus story is special and unique? It's about as special and unique as Shakespeare's plays, which ripped off other, older sources but made them better. Just because the Jesus story makes for a ripping good yarn doesn't mean it's true.

CS Lewis' apology about the elements of ancient stories found in Christianity as "good dreams" worked for me for a while, but not anymore.

I was referring to the fact that one could say Jesus was copied from any one of the Greek gods making it not exclusive to the cop out Mirtha claim. Try rereading the post next time. :)

Try fixing your grammar next time to make your statement clear.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Antlerman

• Abiyoyo

• dagnarus

• Shyone

It's just taken as a given that Jesus is the default for some reason.

Did you ever wonder that they 'defaulted' on Jesus because Jesus was not just exclusive to Kings or high spiritual authorities, but he did all the similar things of the supernatural just like the Greek gods yet it was tangible to any person of that time, able to be seen, felt, and given to any peasant that believed?

I look at it like this. For hundreds of years, the Greek gods worked! (for the kings and spiritualists that is)So why not Apollo, why Jesus??

Maybe Jesus was unlike any Greek god that had ever been worshiped to the masses?

Did you ever wonder that they 'defaulted' on Jesus because Jesus was not just exclusive to Kings or high spiritual authorities, but he did all the similar things of the supernatural just like the Greek gods yet it was tangible to any person of that time, able to be seen, felt, and given to any peasant that believed?

I look at it like this. For hundreds of years, the Greek gods worked! (for the kings and spiritualists that is)So why not Apollo, why Jesus??

Maybe Jesus was unlike any Greek god that had ever been worshiped to the masses?

Um actually, If you go to Saudi Arabia, "Allah" is the default, and if you go to India, "Vishnu" is the default, and if you go to Israel, "YWHW" minus Jesus is the default. Which leads to the obvious reason why Jesus is the default, most people in the US are Christians. Prayer fails just as often for the common man when approaching Jesus as when approaching Appollo, and Jesus was used just as effectively by the ruling elite to rape the peasantry.

If Jesus is a recycled Mirtha, then all of ancient Greek Mythology would be recycled!! :HaHa:

It was.

Try reading up on mythological studies sometime. Nutshell version -- they all can be traced back to primitive tribal beliefs which develop independently among human societies everywhere.

You think the Jesus story is special and unique? It's about as special and unique as Shakespeare's plays, which ripped off other, older sources but made them better. Just because the Jesus story makes for a ripping good yarn doesn't mean it's true.

CS Lewis' apology about the elements of ancient stories found in Christianity as "good dreams" worked for me for a while, but not anymore.

I was referring to the fact that one could say Jesus was copied from any one of the Greek gods making it not exclusive to the cop out Mirtha claim. Try rereading the post next time. :)

Try fixing your grammar next time to make your statement clear.

Mithra.

My wife refers to her genitals as "Mirtha" or perhaps "Murtha".

Mithra.

It makes me think of that metal that's in RPG games.

Mithra.

It makes me think of that metal that's in RPG games.

You mean 'Mithril'. RPG games stole it along with many other things from 'The Lord of the Rings'. It's what Frodo's mail was made of. The one the Mouth of Sauron showed off to Aragorn to make him think the Hobbit was dead at the distraction battle at the Black Gate.

If you want, I'll let you touch my +5 to Nerdcred vest. :poke:

mithrilvest.jpg

Um actually, If you go to Saudi Arabia, "Allah" is the default, and if you go to India, "Vishnu" is the default, and if you go to Israel, "YWHW" minus Jesus is the default. Which leads to the obvious reason why Jesus is the default, most people in the US are Christians. Prayer fails just as often for the common man when approaching Jesus as when approaching Appollo, and Jesus was used just as effectively by the ruling elite to rape the peasantry.

There was no United States then, so I don't understand your point. Was Christianity through history used to rape the peasantry? Prayer falls the same with Jesus and Apollo????

I think you should study Greek gods within history before you comment that a prayer to Apollo would've been the same as to Jesus.

Apollo was inquired only by certain people, not made an authority by certain people, but, inquired by certain people, usually leaders of some sort. I think if spiritual affairs were only given to the leadership of a country then Jesus would've revealed himself spiritually to the leaders, but he didn't, He did to the peasantry.

I've read Josh McDowell's books before. To be honest...they are quite low level. Just by flipping through a few random pages I found circular reasoning and arguments based on blind assertions. Once I actually started to read them it was clear that the book was designed for pushing doubting believers back to stage 0. Overall unimpressive.

There was no United States then, so I don't understand your point.

I was talking about now when Jesus is the default, are you being deliberately obtuse. That said you might be correct, when the Kalam Cosmological argument was made there may have been no United States (Don't know when the argument was first made). But that said when it was first made "Allah" was the default. Using it to prove Jesus is a more recent development.

Was Christianity through history used to rape the peasantry?

Yes. The Greek orthodox church had been in an alliance with the Russian Czars to keep the Russian Peasantry in Line for centuries, before the communist takeover. In medieval times you would just have to look at the lot of the average peasant and then at the Vatican to see what was being done with their tithes, Martin Luther introduced the divine right of kings, and today tele-evangelists rape their viewers of cash, while many catholic priests literally rape their parishioners children.

Prayer falls the same with Jesus and Apollo????

I think you should study Greek gods within history before you comment that a prayer to Apollo would've been the same as to Jesus.

Apollo was inquired only by certain people, not made an authority by certain people, but, inquired by certain people, usually leaders of some sort. I think if spiritual affairs were only given to the leadership of a country then Jesus would've revealed himself spiritually to the leaders, but he didn't, He did to the peasantry.

Ok fine. At least with Jesus you don't have to pay somebody so your prayer can go unheard (although historically there was at least a thousand year period where that wouldn't have been true), same with Allah, I suspect it's the same with Vishnu but I don't know a lot about Hinduism.