Goodbye Jesus

Christianity not a religion??

seeker

Hey all. I'm new here. I've been dating a born again girl for the past 4 months. I'm honestly shocked at the amount of contradictions I've found and at the answers (which are usually faith based answers) I'm given for those contradictions. I never knew what a born again was until I met her. I was raised Catholic but never really practiced. I've dabbled in Buddhism and philosophy's like Daowism....etc. I've never really followed anyones lead except my own when it came to big issues like these. Its something I'm proud of. But I came into this with an open mind and have read parts of the Bible with her, and even go to bible study groups. They make me feel like the devil when I raise questions there. I've been told I'm going to Hell and my whole family and friends are to unless they accept Jesus. In fact let me list what I've been told and my questions that I've asked. Maybe some people here can help me out with some better rebuttles.

1. The earth is 6000 years old. - My response was "what about carbon dating? Or Ice samples taken in the Artic circle that show millions of years of bactera?? "Response was vague by the pastor I asked

2. Everyone shall hear the word. - My response was what about all the Indian Tribes, even in the Amazon in the year 2003 there were still tribes who never saw a white man. They all go to hell?? Response from a pastor was "no they will be judged by their hearts." My reponse was "yea but you just said everyone shall hear the word...now your saying not everyone will"..his response was "Well I do believe everyone has had a chance to hear it "...again it just went around in a circle.

3. Christianity is NOT a religion because with all other beliefs you have to DO something to get into Heaven.. - My response to the pastor was "well wait a minute. When I was a Catholic I was told I had to say Our fathers and Hail Marys to be forgiven of my sins, if I was Buddhist I would have to mediatate, give up my worldly desires, if I was Muslim I'd pray to mecca 5 times a day, and your telling me if I want to be a Christian I have to accept Jesus into my heart and then NOT do a bunch of stuff like have sex, party,....etc. So how is accpeting (accept is a verb a think) NOT doing something??? " . Pastors response was " When you accept Jesus you don't want to have sex anymore, you want to walk with Jesus and be like him.....yada yada yada".

Then I hear last night about how all the prophecys are coming true. How the invention of the Neutron bomb will seal anothe prophechy that Zacharisis made in the Old Testament where its said God will punish those who attack Jerusulem by melting their eyes and tongues ( I guess the neutron bomb does this and Israel has them).

Anyone have any solid credible rebuttles for any of this? I apologize for the length as its my first post. Like I said I'm very open minded. I believe that perception is reality for each individual. Extremist Muslims are blowing themselves up because they believe (their perception is) 100% in Allah. No different then the people that wrote the Bible who were tortured and killed for believing in Jesus. (That was one of the reasons given to me by a christian for why its the right way...it didn't impress me). Again any rebuttles for anything I wrote I would appreciate.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• seeker

• Mike D

• NimbusBirdMgp

1. The earth is 6000 years old. - My response was "what about carbon dating? Or Ice samples taken in the Artic circle that show millions of years of bactera?? "Response was vague by the pastor I asked

Dendrochronology, ice cores, isotope dating, varves, and a bunch of other stuff all point to an older earth and corroborate each other.

2. Everyone shall hear the word. - My response was what about all the Indian Tribes, even in the Amazon in the year 2003 there were still tribes who never saw a white man. They all go to hell?? Response from a pastor was "no they will be judged by their hearts." My reponse was "yea but you just said everyone shall hear the word...now your saying not everyone will"..his response was "Well I do believe everyone has had a chance to hear it "...again it just went around in a circle.

Not a big deal.

3. Christianity is NOT a religion because with all other beliefs you have to DO something to get into Heaven.. - My response to the pastor was "well wait a minute. When I was a Catholic I was told I had to say Our fathers and Hail Marys to be forgiven of my sins, if I was Buddhist I would have to mediatate, give up my worldly desires, if I was Muslim I'd pray to mecca 5 times a day, and your telling me if I want to be a Christian I have to accept Jesus into my heart and then NOT do a bunch of stuff like have sex, party,....etc. So how is accpeting (accept is a verb a think) NOT doing something??? " . Pastors response was " When you accept Jesus you don't want to have sex anymore, you want to walk with Jesus and be like him.....yada yada yada".

total bullshit. You do have to do something to get into heaven.

Then I hear last night about how all the prophecys are coming true. How the invention of the Neutron bomb will seal anothe prophechy that Zacharisis made in the Old Testament where its said God will punish those who attack Jerusulem by melting their eyes and tongues ( I guess the neutron bomb does this and Israel has them).

Inerpretation of a vague prophecy...

Anyone have any solid credible rebuttles for any of this? I apologize for the length as its my first post. Like I said I'm very open minded. I believe that perception is reality for each individual. Extremist Muslims are blowing themselves up because they believe (their perception is) 100% in Allah. No different then the people that wrote the Bible who were tortured and killed for believing in Jesus. (That was one of the reasons given to me by a christian for why its the right way...it didn't impress me). Again any rebuttles for anything I wrote I would appreciate.

Hi Seeker, welcome to the site.

Hmmm. What do you want us to do? We can't refute your questions, since we agree to how erroneous and false the Christian theology is. I guess you want some Christians to answer the questions, or...?

Nice to have you here Seeker.

Stick around, you'll get plenty of answers.

Hi Seeker, welcome to the site.

Hmmm. What do you want us to do? We can't refute your questions, since we agree to how erroneous and false the Christian theology is. I guess you want some Christians to answer the questions, or...?

I apologize for not being clearer. Yes absolutly if you can of course I would love it if you could back up my own arguments (we all want to be right I guess!!!!) , make them more understandable, modify them. And I have ALOT more questions I've brought up to Christians that I would love to share with you guys. But I have so many I figured I'd post a few at a time.

Extremist Muslims are blowing themselves up because they believe (their perception is) 100% in Allah. No different then the people that wrote the Bible who were tortured and killed for believing in Jesus. (That was one of the reasons given to me by a christian for why its the right way...it didn't impress me).

If they are making a rule that if someone dies for a belief then it must be true, then they must concede that all religions are true because people have died in the name of all of them. Either nobody dies for a lie, or people die for lies all the time....they can't have it both ways :nono:

Pastors response was " When you accept Jesus you don't want to have sex anymore, you want to walk with Jesus and be like him.....yada yada yada".

Doesn't this appear as gay? I have thought of it as so. There is a lack of aesthetics that nature has given us for this life. This denies our very nurturing for having an attraction with life, when sex appeal is a form of life giving to us and having good health.

Welcome, Seeker. If you are truly looking for answers, you're at the right place. But you might not like some of the answers you hear.

Welcome, Seeker.  If you are truly looking for answers, you're at the right place.  But you might not like some of the answers you hear.

Honestly to me if you believe something to be true then I admit that for THAT person it is true. No matter how insane it sounds. I believe perception is reality. So I'm not offended to much by other peoples opinions. I just accept that to that person it IS their reality. But I'm also human and I can't stand to hear information that believe is total bullshit. I don't want to argue or debate with Christians because then what I'm doing is trying to get them to believe what I believe...which is exactly what I can't stand about them. I'm here because from the little I've read it seems there are some well educated people who HAVE been on the side of Christiantity and seem to have come across the same contradictions that I have found. And I'm looking to build a stronger foundation for myself because I will admit that SOME points the Christians make do make sense. There is as I have found ALOT of information proving that Jesus the man did exist. The question of did he do supernatural things is the faith part from what I have learned. But since I'm just a human my mind is vulenerable to people telling me that if I don't believe this I'm going to suffer for eternity. I acutally told a pastor that the only reason that I would want to become Christian is because I do have a part of me that is scared of what happens to me when I die. The fear that I will be punished. But honestly thats the only reason. Fear. And making decesions based of fear is what IN MY OPINION fucks people over.

Re-reading this I'm not sure it made to much sense. My mind truly feels invaded for what I have heard since being with this girl. Shes the most incredible girl I've ever met, but if the catch is I have to convert then I have to say it ain't worth it. She even throws it in there "Do you think its a coincidence that you met me?? " I told her no I Don't but I also don't think I met you just to convert to Christiantity....because I could turn around and say "Yea but do you think its a coincedence that you met me?? maybe I'm supposed to convert you?? ". Sigh...sorry for rambling...this shit has been consuming me lately.

Pastors response was " When you accept Jesus you don't want to have sex anymore, you want to walk with Jesus and be like him.....yada yada yada".

Doesn't this appear as gay?  I have thought of it as so.  There is a lack of aesthetics that nature has given us for this life.  This denies our very nurturing for having an attraction with life, when sex appeal is a form of life giving to us and having good health.

Lacking interest in sex is not the same thing as being gay.

Can anyone explain why Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old?? I heard if you trace back the geneology of David...Abraham...one of those guys all the way back to Adam and Eve its 6000 years. Is that the reason they believe it?

Hey all. I'm new here. I've been dating a born again girl for the past 4 months. I'm honestly shocked at the amount of contradictions I've found and at the answers (which are usually faith based answers) I'm given for those contradictions.

Unfortunately religion encourages irrational thinking and contradictive arguments, and it's totally based on emotional ideas. Hard to debate with emotions. Like trying to build a caste of water. Can only be done if you change its properties, by freezing it. Same with religious debate, you can't argue, unless you can find the common playground.

I never knew what a born again was until I met her. I was raised Catholic but never really practiced. I've dabbled in Buddhism and philosophy's like Daowism....etc. I've never really followed anyones lead except my own when it came to big issues like these. Its something I'm proud of. But I came into this with an open mind and have read parts of the Bible with her, and even go to bible study groups. They make me feel like the devil when I raise questions there. I've been told I'm going to Hell and my whole family and friends are to unless they accept Jesus.

Not a very pleasant and lovable way of dealing with questions. They show disapproval of you inquistive mind, since it will bring their little house of cards down when they start to think.

In fact let me list what I've been told and my questions that I've asked. Maybe some people here can help me out with some better rebuttles.

Many different ways of dating Earth and the Universe.

For instance:

The distance to other stars can be measured using triangulation, and by knowing the distance and the speed of light, we know that the light that is hitting us right now has been traveling for a certain time, and the numbers show a very old universe.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-add.html#A6

And Jewish people the Old Testament, are they judged by their actions instead of their faith?

Is Satan judged by his belief or his actions?

Agree. To "receive Jesus in your heart", or "pray to him so he may..." etc, all of it is actions you have to do to get saved. So Christianity/Salvation is based on a fundamental action too, and not faith. Faith is a gift from God too, so you can't have faith until you act, and then you get faith. So you can't have faith before you act. If the salvation was a true "No Action Needed" faith, then we don't have to do anything, we are saved regardless of our faith or beliefs. This should be the true gospel from Jesus, since he paid the full price for our sins. Otherwise why did Jesus pay for our sins, and yet we have to do something too to being paid for? Was it, or is it not completely paid for? Was the payment incomplete?

The prophesies have been fulfilled many times over the centuries. Every generation have a new interpretation on how the prophesies match the current world situation.

Anyone have any solid credible rebuttles for any of this? I apologize for the length as its my first post. Like I said I'm very open minded. I believe that perception is reality for each individual. Extremist Muslims are blowing themselves up because they believe (their perception is) 100% in Allah. No different then the people that wrote the Bible who were tortured and killed for believing in Jesus. (That was one of the reasons given to me by a christian for why its the right way...it didn't impress me).  Again any rebuttles for anything I wrote I would appreciate.

Perception is everything. We are a perception machine, building our own little "world" in our minds of what we see and hear.

Can anyone explain why Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old?? I heard if you trace back the geneology of David...Abraham...one of those guys all the way back to Adam and Eve its 6000 years. Is that the reason they believe it?

Yes. I did it myself ones. I think there was one or few missing links, but the rest of it pretty much added up to round numbers of 4000 from Adam to Jesus.

There is as I have found ALOT of information proving that Jesus the man did exist.

Hmmm. Really? I'm not playing hardball with yout, but please, you have to let us know what you found. Most of us here have the opinion that there is extremely little (or none) information that can prove Jesus existed.

The question of did he do supernatural things is the faith part from what I have learned. But since I'm just a human my mind is vulenerable to people telling me that if I don't believe this I'm going to suffer for eternity. I acutally told a pastor that the only reason that I would want to become Christian is because I do have a part of me that is scared of what happens to me when I die. The fear that I will be punished. But honestly thats the only reason. Fear. And making decesions based of fear is what IN MY OPINION fucks people over.

Pascals wager. Then you should become Muslim instead, since their Hell is much worse than the Christian, and their Heaving is much cooler than the Christian.

Re-reading this I'm not sure it made to much sense. My mind truly feels invaded for what I have heard since being with this girl. Shes the most incredible girl I've ever met, but if the catch is I have to convert then I have to say it ain't worth it. She even throws it in there "Do you think its a coincidence that you met me?? " I told her no I Don't but I also don't think I met you just to convert to Christiantity....because I could turn around and say "Yea but do you think its a coincedence that you met me?? maybe I'm supposed to convert you?? ". Sigh...sorry for rambling...this shit has been consuming me lately.

You're being infected by the memeplex virus called Christianity, and it will melt your thinking capacity down until you give up and become a robot in the shadow of the cross. Beware!

Can anyone explain why Christians believe the earth is 6000 years old??

Because they are cuckoo? :crazy:

The Bible also says donkeys can talk, sticks can turn into snakes, horses can fly, the rain is caused by windows in heaven opening/closing, the day can be made longer by stopping the sun, etc. etc. etc. Some Christians even believe that dinosaurs never existed - all dinosaur bones that we have found were actually planted by Satan as a trick to fool scientists. The absurdities go on and on. Why would anyone with even an ounce of sanity take any of this stuff as literal truth? :Hmm:

Hi there Seeker,

First piece of advice when debating about christianity. DON'T.

Religion has a lot of emotions involved and a lot of time it is more like a minefield if you enter it. I go though length to avoid it. off course if I am pushed into a corner then yeah off course go for it.

If you are looking for good debating material, I really recommend these sites

Agnostic Review of ChristianityPlease go every single article especially "Various Christian Claims and rationalisation". i recommend starting with "A Christian Sermon To Skeptics"

Losing My Religion

Catholic Point of View (This is very useful if you want to discuss it from a catholic perpective)

Hopefully that helped.

Pritish

Hmmm. Really? I'm not playing hardball with yout, but please, you have to let us know what you found. Most of us here have the opinion that there is extremely little (or none) information that can prove Jesus existed.

Pascals wager. Then you should become Muslim instead, since their Hell is much worse than the Christian, and their Heaving is much cooler than the Christian.

You're being infected by the memeplex virus called Christianity, and it will melt your thinking capacity down until you give up and become a robot in the shadow of the cross. Beware!

I worded that first part wrong. I saw a show on Discovery that documents almost all of the places that are talked about in the Bible where Jesus was. They did some sort of Geneology to even trace his family. So I should have said the geography of the Bible seems very accurate. However it would only prove that a man name Jesus was alive. I would love to hear reasons that prove the didn't exist though. I haven't really heard any of those yet.

I don't know what Pascals Wager means. And I'm to sure what you meant by that post. I was just saying that the only reason ANY belief system tempts me is because of fear. Which I believe is a wrong way to make decesions in life.

Me being infected...I must admit. Sitting with the Pastor every Monday and me constantly bringing up contradictions in front of all these Christians who then have in SOME cases decent rebuttles does make me think sometimes "Shit...what if they are right". And the fact that I'm so in love with this girl who I'm sure I'm going to lose over this has really fucked with my head. But I could probably sit in a room full of Muslims and get just as freaked out that they might be correct. I'm going to post alot of questions if you guys don't mind. Probably over the next few days. When I want to learn something I have a habit of letting it consume me. Whether its cars, space, myself....I don't know what moderation is I guess. So I hope I can get some solid answers from you guys. And honestly thank you for taking your time to read all my ramblings.

I guess I'm loading you with many different concepts at once, sorry... :wave:

I worded that first part wrong. I saw a show on Discovery  that documents almost all of the places that are talked about in the Bible where Jesus was. They did some sort of Geneology to even trace his family. So I should have said the geography of the Bible seems very accurate. However it would only prove that a man name Jesus was alive. I would love to hear reasons that prove the didn't exist though. I haven't really heard any of those yet.

There was many guys called Jesus during that time. It was a popular name, so sure, Jesus existed as a guy, but did Jesus the Bible talks about exist? Can't really say. Jesus comes from the word Joshua, and means savior.

Regarding arguments that Jesus might not have existed, I'm going to find the weblinks for you later tonight, unless someone else kind soul on this site can provide you with them.

I don't know what Pascals Wager means. And I'm to sure what you meant by that post. I was just saying that the only reason ANY belief system tempts me is because of fear. Which I believe is a wrong way to make decesions in life.

Blaise Pascal (the famous one), was religious and made an argument why it is better to take the chance (as a gambler) that Christianity is true and follow it, than to take the chance of denying it and risking going to hell. I can explain more later.

Me being infected...I must admit. Sitting with the Pastor every Monday and me constantly bringing up contradictions in front of all these Christians who then have in SOME cases decent rebuttles does make me think sometimes "Shit...what if they are right". And the fact that I'm so in love with this girl who I'm sure I'm going to lose over this has really fucked with my head. But I could probably sit in a room full of Muslims and get just as freaked out that they might be correct. I'm going to post alot of questions if you guys don't mind. Probably over the next few days. When I want to learn something I have a habit of letting it consume me. Whether its cars, space, myself....I don't know what moderation is I guess. So I hope I can get some solid answers from you guys. And honestly thank you for taking your time to read all my ramblings.

No problem. I can tell you do need support, I'll do what I can.

It's easy to fall for the "what if they're right". That's what any con artist uses against you. When you decide for a change of opinion of this caliber, you have to do it on your own terms, and your own time. Don't let emotional arguments get to you, but think it through, and talk to us here to get the other view also. Because the only way to know truth is to listen to both sides.

That's why there is a prosecution and a defense attorney in a courtroom, and not only one side stating their case. Don't let religion get the only input channel to your mind. You need to hear the other side too.

Honestly to me if you believe something to be true then I admit that for THAT person it is true. No matter how insane it sounds. I believe perception is reality. So I'm not offended to much by other peoples opinions. I just accept that to that person it IS their reality. But I'm also human and I can't stand to hear information that believe is total bullshit. I don't want to argue or debate with Christians because then what I'm doing is trying to get them to believe what I believe...which is exactly what I can't stand about them. I'm here because from the little I've read it seems there are some well educated people who HAVE been on the side of Christiantity and seem to have come across the same contradictions that I have found. And I'm looking to build a stronger foundation for myself because I will admit that SOME points the Christians make do make sense. There is as I have found ALOT of information proving that Jesus the man did exist. The question of did he do supernatural things is the faith part from what I have learned. But since I'm just a human my mind is vulenerable to people telling me that if I don't believe this I'm going to suffer for eternity. I acutally told a pastor that the only reason that I would want to become Christian is because I do have a part of me that is scared of what happens to me when I die. The fear that I will be punished. But honestly thats the only reason. Fear. And making decesions based of fear is what IN MY OPINION fucks people over.

I agree that making decisions based on fear is stupid. Unfortunately, people make decisions based on emotions all the time without finding out the facts.

Which parts of Christianity do you think make sense? To me, none of it does, and what little is good about it was stolen from other religions. If you do the historical research, you will find this out. The Golden Rule was around ages before Christianity was. You could live your life by that, and not seek the Christian label, and still be a good person.

The problem is that Christianity is a cult which plays on people's fear of the unknown (death). I think that logically, whatever happens after death, happens to all of us and not just a chosen few. I seriously doubt there is any form of afterlife, though I'd prefer reincarnation if I had to choose anything at all.

I'm agnostic, not atheist, but even if the atheists are right (and they probably are), what would be so terribly wrong about that? So what if your molecules eventually become part of the earth again after you decompose? What's so wrong with being part of this earth? Are humans really so arrogant that they need to be immortal in some form? (I think yes, some people are. Otherwise, religion wouldn't exist.)

I think so many people want an afterlife to exist. The idea that they will eventually cease to exist frightens them. To me, that's all the more reason why you should enjoy life while you're still here, not feel guilty about enjoying it, which a lot of Christian denominations make you feel.

Doesn't this appear as gay?  I have thought of it as so.  There is a lack of aesthetics that nature has given us for this life.  This denies our very nurturing for having an attraction with life, when sex appeal is a form of life giving to us and having good health.

i don't see how that comes off as gay.

i don't see how that comes off as gay.

Getting guys to find the man Jesus to satisfy (one's) sexuality? You don't see that as Gay? :ugh:

To white_raven: If the man Jesus does something to satisfy a males sexual interest, to which one doesn't desire it with a woman. Then this image of the man Jesus is doing something gay in my mind.

Getting guys to find the man Jesus to satisfy (one's) sexuality?  You don't see that as Gay?  :ugh:

Jesus satisfies men sexually? Where are you reading this?

Jesus satisfies men sexually?  Where are you reading this?

Why wouldn't a man not want sex anymore? I would be assuming Christianity would assume Jesus is satisfing men's sexuality. It doesn't work that way with me. Because I find sexuality for me is a feminine need for me, not a masculane one with Gawd. Another reason I decided to apostate Christianity back in 1981. When I want the erotic feminism to have intimacy with, rather than this masculane image of Gawd in my life. This is apart of life's aesthetics and nature. For good health. Something the world hasn't allowed so many to understand about sexuality.

Why wouldn't a man not want sex anymore?

Sexuality is a totally normal human function, so it seems kind of silly for someone to stop having sexual urges just because they've let some invisible man into their heart, doesn't it?

I would be assuming  Christianity would assume Jesus is satisfing men's sexuality.

I think what Christianity claims is that if you "have faith" in Jesus you will have no sexual urges anymore. Not because he satisfies you sexually, but because he has taken that "sin" nature away from you. There's a difference.

It doesn't work that way with me.

Join the club, I don't think it works for anyone.

In case you were't aware, Christianity does not promote sexuality (homosexuality or otherwise), it discourages it, and even demonizes it. Why would you think otherwise?

Sexuality is a totally normal human function, so it seems kind of silly for someone to stop having sexual urges just because they've let some invisible man into their heart, doesn't it? 

I think what Christianity claims is that if you "have faith" in Jesus you will have no sexual urges anymore.  Not because he satisfies you sexually, but because he has taken that "sin" nature away from you.  There's a difference.

Join the club, I don't think it works for anyone.

In case you were't aware, Christianity does not promote sexuality (homosexuality or otherwise), it discourages it, and even demonizes it.  Why would you think otherwise?

The reason Christianity calls this sex a sin, is because of the attraction to feminism. Christianity wants all to be attracted to the masculane Gawd that is like a mind over matter. Making already married men and guys already with a women eluded to this. But I didn't have a women in my life, to have such elusions about having my sexuality taken. Cause something about Christianity calling sexuality a sin, was (?) not understood the way I was understanding it to be. The idea to me was like trying to get rid of feminism, so that masculanity was the trip in Christianity. And that type of gay thing, didn't make me like Christianity after I realized it.