Goodbye Jesus

Do You Have Experience With Supernatural?

DayLight

Hey it's no big deal. If you're not into it then that's your preference.

As it currently stands, are you/is anyone making even a tiny hint of progress toward discovering anything not based in physical reality?

Actually there is. Pioneers are working right now and making substantial progress, They're rejected by the scientific community, but then again when something's new they always do that. Find it yourself if you're interested. I'm too lazy to do it now. :)

I recently read a book called "Paranormality" by a respected psychologist called "Richard Wiseman" he has done a lot of research into how so-called paranormal events have their origins in our brains. He is, of course, a skeptic (or pseudoskeptic as some would call him)

Oh my, I've had so many experiences, I simply can't be a materialist atheist. Many are very private, and not all are pleasant, but they all mean something to me.

Remembering past lives, several that a friend of mine also remembers - the same ones, because she was there with me, and remembers events from her perspective. We would actually have conversations about these events, and discuss them like one would talk about "that time" in a present life. I'm sure anyone overhearing us in the uni cafeteria thought we were mental patients. :HaHa:

Have seen ghosts, still see ghosts, will see ghosts. Same with spirits, and a wide assortment of other non-physical critters.

I "hear" gods in ritual. Not always, but often enough. Sometimes see them too.

I also get feelings about friends far from me when they're badly upset. With my best friend, there have been many times he's called, and the first thing I say when I pick up is "what's wrong?" and it's some kind of horrible situation. It's just a horrible stomach-drop sensation when it rings and this is the case. I have no idea why.

I could probably go on, but, yeah, I'm an odd member here who has lots of experiences like this, and theistic beliefs because of it. Just nothing christian.

Oh my, I've had so many experiences, I simply can't be a materialist atheist. Many are very private, and not all are pleasant, but they all mean something to me.

I know how you feel, I can't be an atheist either because of things that have happened. I tried, but I had to ignore certain things and it bothered me being dishonest with myself. It's not like the usual 'my mom was dying of cancer and got better' or 'I prayed for a job and got it' kind of evidence either. To me those kinds of things don't prove the supernatural. I don't consider the experiences I had as a Christian as being proof of the supernatural anymore like I used too, but a couple of things did happen that I can't deny. They don't prove any religion to me though, just that something's going on that's bigger than my limited perception. Otherwise I'd be an materialist atheist.

I'm glad to hear some of you guys say you couldn't be an atheist because some of your religious experiences because the same is true of me. Some things, I just can't deny. How to explain them is another story though.....

Remembering past lives, several that a friend of mine also remembers - the same ones, because she was there with me, and remembers events from her perspective. We would actually have conversations about these events, and discuss them like one would talk about "that time" in a present life. I'm sure anyone overhearing us in the uni cafeteria thought we were mental patients. :HaHa:

Have seen ghosts, still see ghosts, will see ghosts. Same with spirits, and a wide assortment of other non-physical critters.

I "hear" gods in ritual. Not always, but often enough. Sometimes see them too.

I also get feelings about friends far from me when they're badly upset. With my best friend, there have been many times he's called, and the first thing I say when I pick up is "what's wrong?" and it's some kind of horrible situation. It's just a horrible stomach-drop sensation when it rings and this is the case. I have no idea why.

I could probably go on, but, yeah, I'm an odd member here who has lots of experiences like this, and theistic beliefs because of it. Just nothing christian.

I have dreamt of past lives before:

I as female servent in a lords household. The "master of the house" knocked me up then wanted nothing to with me. I abandon the child in a well.

Had my throat cut by an agent of the church and left to die over several hours in an alley.

I have never "seen" ghosts. But I remember a girlfriend had a spritutalist mother who would do things to attract the spirits. I went over to her house when mother and her were not home becuase girlfriend needed something. I walked in the door and felt like I hit a wall and suddenly had things looking at me. I just brushed it off as paranoia, but the experience stuck with me.

I've been interested in the supernatural for as long as I can remember but I've never personally experienced anything. I am interested in finding ways to make myself more prone to paranormal experiences.

I'm glad to hear some of you guys say you couldn't be an atheist because some of your religious experiences because the same is true of me. Some things, I just can't deny. How to explain them is another story though.....

I would be nice to have an explanation. Honestly I think that as people continue to research things like 'spiritual' energy we'll get closer to an explanation. They're able see results in labs now, so I think as more people hear about that we'll make more progress. Most people go along with the crowd though, so it will take some time to catch on, at least here in the US. Other countries are more progressive.

Years ago as a christian I hitchhiked through parts of Europe completely by "faith". I had just a couple bucks in my pocket, but managed to be provided for every day for a week without every going hungry or not having a place to sleep. For example, i was walking down a snow-covered street in Zurich one late afternoon and a woman approached me walking her dog and handed me enough money for room and board that night. Just out of the blue, unsolicited.

I've also been in two distinct situations where I was praying earnestly with a couple other guys and a profound, powerful sense of Presence entered the room. We all felt it, and none of us could speak for awhile for the sense of awe. When it lifted, we all looked at each other in amazement. In one case, we were praying over the broken leg of one of our buddies. The guy was healed on the spot and the cast came off his leg next day...

I've been interested in the supernatural for as long as I can remember but I've never personally experienced anything. I am interested in finding ways to make myself more prone to paranormal experiences.

From everything I have heard or read about it, the first step is being open to having the experience in the first place.

Because of life getting into the way, I have not had a past life dream, that I was lucid and therefore remember in about 7-8 years. This has most likely happened because I was in graduate school and then got married and had two kids during that time. So I wasn't focused on or open to those expereinces.

One of the "easiest" ways to do it is to simply ask yourself how to be more open to paranormal experiences when you are falling asleep. It would probably need to be done over several nights but eventually a dream may tell you, or you might just start experiencing things. Also keeping a dream journal over about a month's time will help to train your brain to remember dreams. At least that has worked for me before, just make sure you write legibily. Nothing more frustrating then coming back a year laters and having no clue what you wrote. :Doh:

I don't know how to answer this, having always been prone to it. It's natural for me.

But one bit of advice I've heard is to "unlearn" your way of looking at the world. Maybe meditation, where you empty your mind, would help?

So what exactly is the supernatural? Is it ghosts and alternate realities and stuff? I really want to be a part of this kind of stuff but living with fundies has really held me back from experiencing things.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of the term "supernatural", because I think anything that can happen is natural.

But, for convenience, I suppose the supernatural involves happenings and beings that most don't encounter with the usual five senses - or every day.

It's a slippery term. What is supernatural to most people might change - or might not be supernatural to other people. It's all perspective.

So what exactly is the supernatural? Is it ghosts and alternate realities and stuff? I really want to be a part of this kind of stuff but living with fundies has really held me back from experiencing things.

I think it's just what we call things we don't understand. People used to think the sun falling and rising was supernatural. I don't look for it, but I think meditation helps me be a more open person in general.

I would be nice to have an explanation. Honestly I think that as people continue to research things like 'spiritual' energy we'll get closer to an explanation. They're able see results in labs now, so I think as more people hear about that we'll make more progress. Most people go along with the crowd though, so it will take some time to catch on, at least here in the US. Other countries are more progressive.

My main conccern is that spiritual experiences are validated. Christians validate the experiences that people have and that they KNOW are true and they explain the experiences to the one who experienced them, while many other people question them and make fun of them. I think, at age 19, this is why I became such a hardcore fundamentalist. What if someone gave me an alternative to the Christian validation I recieved?

my definition is: if you think someone will think your experience is crazy, then it was probably a supernatural happening.

Random question - I thought not believing in God is what made one an atheist. If you believe in anything like life after death or ghosts, that makes you not an atheist? Just want to get my terms straight.

Random question - I thought not believing in God is what made one an atheist. If you believe in anything like life after death or ghosts, that makes you not an atheist? Just want to get my terms straight.

That's a good question. Literally, "atheist" means non-god-believer. Typically, this would refer to personified gods. I think that those who believe in a generalized godlike force are called "deists", so those that reject that would (I suppose) be called adeists, but I don't think that is a common word. Some atheists poo-poo anything that smacks of "spirituality" since it can't be proven. Some can be real jerks in their attitudes, but others simply see no reasons and feel no leanings toward such ideas.

I've been trying to find a label to describe my current spiritual concepts, and haven't settled on anything. I am an atheist as far as the personalized gods are concerned (Yahweh, Zeus, Quetzalcoatl, etc), but perhaps there is universal "life" that causes various worlds to begin the process of evolution. Just speculation of course. I'm curious why life is. It doesn't seem to be a mere chemical reaction, because I've never seen a reaction with the overwhelming programming to make more of itself, as all life seems driven to do from viruses to plants to whales.

I'm also curious about possible past lives and some remarkable stories of children that seem to recall in great detail having been here before. I don't know what to make of it, but it is interesting. My wife and her sister say they see both spirit guides and people who have passed on but not moved on. They both react strongly to various crystals, while I have minimal reactions. Since I haven't seen what they see, I don't know what to make of it. But I'm not closed minded to it, but willing to listen, experiment, and see what comes of it.

My main conccern is that spiritual experiences are validated. Christians validate the experiences that people have and that they KNOW are true and they explain the experiences to the one who experienced them, while many other people question them and make fun of them. I think, at age 19, this is why I became such a hardcore fundamentalist. What if someone gave me an alternative to the Christian validation I recieved?

Funny thing, even though I beleved my experiences were related to Christianity when I first had them, I still tried to find validation in a different religion. I was drawn to magic and astrology, but got sucked in to fundamentalism. I don't think that was just because it was there at the time willing to validate me, but also because Christianity was embedded in me as a child by american culture.

Fuego said it pretty well.

There are physists working on multiverse theory right now. It was in the early 20th century only in the relams of the occult.

Police departments sometimes use psychics to help solve crimes.

As to ghosts, I think the genuine ones have something to do with residual energy patterns left by the life that exited. And I feel similarly about life after death. I just have a hard time accepting there just one life and done. It seems ineffencient to me.

However, none of this means there is a god controling it. even though it sounds just as weird as talknig snakes.

Thanks stryper and Fuego. That pretty much sums up my view. I, personally, am an agnostic, which I think leaves a lot of room for the kind of speculating going on in this thread.

I'm not a big fan of being "open" to it, because I think that encourages your imagination to get the better of you, and I also know some people who have had "supernatural" experiences and really weren't open to it, so I don't think that's necessary.

Plus, I was open to it for years, and the kind of stuff I wanted to happen never did.

I have had some interesting weather related adventures however. :)

Hey, snakes talk! They even sing!

I'm not a big fan of being "open" to it, because I think that encourages your imagination to get the better of you, and I also know some people who have had "supernatural" experiences and really weren't open to it, so I don't think that's necessary.

I think it all these unexplainable things come from us somehow, and our imagination plays a part. But you can't force yourself to imagine something into existence, it just comes naturally I guess.

I think it all these unexplainable things come from us somehow, and our imagination plays a part. But you can't force yourself to imagine something into existence, it just comes naturally I guess.

I do fully understand the apprehension of not letting something that's "all in your head" rule your life. The fear that you made it all up. I still struggle with that, and there is no easy answer.

Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from falling into that thought process entirely has been group experiences, of all kinds.

I don't pretend to know all the answers, but I know if your eyes are closed, you're not going to see the rainbow.

I do fully understand the apprehension of not letting something that's "all in your head" rule your life. The fear that you made it all up. I still struggle with that, and there is no easy answer.

Honestly, the only thing that keeps me from falling into that thought process entirely has been group experiences, of all kinds.

I don't pretend to know all the answers, but I know if your eyes are closed, you're not going to see the rainbow.

It's complicated for sure, but I don't think we just make everything up. They aren't made up because we were there and saw it. I just think that instead of the experiences coming from some power greater than ourselves, which is the way we often perceive it, theres also the possibility that the force is related to us directly. So instead of having to hold on to the experiences I let them go, because I don't feel the pressure of it being something separate from me. And I guess that plays a part in accepting other people's experiences as valid.