Goodbye Jesus

Why were you once a Christian?

daniel_1012

Just as simple or prolonged as you wish to explain... why were you a Christian? What caused you to choose Christianity, or what was it about Christianity that converted you?

I think it would be fair to pin this one up next to, "Why do you remain Christian," but that's just what I think.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fweethawt

• daniel_1012

• -Demona-

• Ouroboros

i was raised christian so guess i cant say i was lead their.

Raised in a Christian home and then consciously decided to devote my life to christ around 12yo.

How's about you?

I was looking for the meaning of life. I looked to Christianity because it was the major religion of the culture I was raised in. I tried to get from it what I was looking for, but I couldn't kill my intelligence, so I left.

Meh... I was bored so I got baptised.

Truthfully? Born and raised in a Christian family, but my parents made the mistake of letting me read the bible...

Add me to the brainwashed from birth list. I wasn't given a choice.

My family was/is Christian, and I went to Sunday school from age 1.

At age 7 I was at home alone, missing Church for the first time, got a bad conscious and got afraid I wouldn't go to Heaven like my family, and I would be alone in Hell, so I had a little moment where I prayed and ask Jesus into my heart. There wasn't much of a feeling or change, only that I felt that I had done my part, so now I was safe and wouldn't go to Hell.

I was evangelized at the age of 22. The main reason I said "the sinner's prayer", was because I didn't want to go to hell. It was an amazing night that I'll never forget.

After that, I started to devour the bible. I read it many times over. I found what I believed then to be a lot of truth about human nature. I really wanted it to be true, and I believed it was true for a very long time. I was really attracted to the person of Jesus. The way he fought against the system. The way he challenged the status quo.

I listened to Keith Green, Petra, Twila Paris, Amy Grant. (this was a very long time ago). I wrote christian songs. Lots of em. I did little mini-concerts with my guitar and sang, while sharing the love of christ.

At the same time, it was hugely frustrating. Frustrating to not be able to live up to the standard. Frustrating to see one contradiction after another, and not be able to resolve them in my mind. Frustrating to see everyone I knew who was not interested in hearing about Jesus. Frustrating to believe they were all headed for eternal torture and suffering.

In spite of that, it was a happy time for me, when I first became a christian. Much like falling in love for the first time.

But, like so often with love, I found that faith, too, fades. Things change over time. I matured. And, what once seemed so tangible and personal and real became so much dust in the wind.

Brainwashed since birth too. Though I did go through a period where I drifted away as an adult and came back full force.

Born into it. Father is devout Lutheran, but encouraged me to think. Read Bible, learned history of Christians, read about other religions-- and ended my benighted ignorance!

Brainwashed since birth too.

99930[/snapback]

Me too.

My ex testimony is on the main site, but I have no idea about how to find it (months have passed and I can't find it by just clicking on all the old posts), if someone helps me find it I'll post that on the ExTestimonies board. It will be easier to browse.

Daniel: why don't you read the exchristian testimonies forum, btw? Too much of an effort?

I too was brainwashed from birth, but I had doubts from the beginning.

I too was brainwashed from birth, but I had doubts from the beginning.

99958[/snapback]

Had doubts too...tried to repress them. Was terrorfied that the devil was causing me to question things.

Just as simple or prolonged as you wish to explain... why were you a Christian?  What caused you to choose Christianity, or what was it about Christianity that converted you?
You can always go HERE and read until your heart's content.

But then again, that's not what this is all about anyway. You really don't give a shit what answers you get on this. You're just going to look for a way to pick these members stories apart and tell them where they went wrong, aren't you?

You can't get away with that in the testimony section, so you're baiting people here. And, you'll use the excuse that this is The Lion's Den and anything goes anyway.

I think it would be fair to pin this one up next to, "Why do you remain Christian," but that's just what I think.
There's no need to pin it. All the answers that you could ever get to this are available at the link I posted up there.

By the way, here's a little experiment for you. Go to a Christian forum and pose as an unbeliever. Then, you'll get a good look at what "fair" is.

Born and raised, devoted my life at around age 12 or 13, left it at 20.

You can always go HERE and read until your heart's content.

But then again, that's not what this is all about anyway. You really don't give a shit what answers you get on this. You're just going to look for a way to pick these members stories apart and tell them where they went wrong, aren't you?

You can't get away with that in the testimony section, so you're baiting people here. And, you'll use the excuse that this is The Lion's Den and anything goes anyway.

There's no need to pin it. All the answers that you could ever get to this are available at the link I posted up there.

By the way, here's a little experiment for you. Go to a Christian forum and pose as an unbeliever. Then, you'll get a good look at what "fair" is.

99968[/snapback]

What is one you consider to be a Christian forum?

What is one you consider to be a Christian forum?

Is this a trick question?

I mean, if I can't point you to a site full of people who believe exactly the way that you do, then you won't consider them as being Christian™, right? :scratch:

Is this a trick question?

I mean, if I can't point you to a site full of people who believe exactly the way that you do, then you won't consider them as being Christian, right?  :scratch:

99985[/snapback]

Where can I find a Christian forum?

Where can I find a Christian forum?

What do you consider to be a Christian™ forum?

What do you consider to be a Christian forum?

99991[/snapback]

I don't consider, because I don't currently post on any, therefore I have no experience for compairing. That's why I asked you, since you asked me to go to one, I figured you knew one.

Born and raised Catholic until fifth grade, devoted my life to the Protestant Jesus in middle school directly coinciding with when my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died.

I stayed Christian because I really believed it (and it was the only worldview open for my examination at the time). I really loved jesus, God, prayed a lot, cried a lot, even thought I had somewhat of an intellectual faith (as far as a highschooler can that is surrounded by almost fundies) etc etc....

Well, I couldn't have been any more correct on that, I guess. Like I said, he doesn't give a shit. He just wants an opportunity to call your experiences "bullshit" according to his biblical world-view.

Here is what he typed in another thread addressed to him.

FROM HERE

Even though I want you to notice, just as I will give this testimony and be critisized for its legitimacy thereof... do you see that as any difference than when what I do is judged as inappropriet when someone such as myself critisizes for the legitimacy of said "eximonies?"  I am accused of looking for faults in the legitimacy of posing "ex-Christians," which I don't deny -- this I do indeed do, that is exactly what I do.  I inspect for falsities, misconceptions, fakes, and things that are Biblically unsound -- and why shouldn't I?  I am a Christian.

The difference, Danny, is that this is a ExChristian forum.

That's the difference.