Goodbye Jesus

Lost Another Job - Is There Something Wrong?

Deva

Well, consider this, you live in a wealthy country, eat good food, have internet and a roof over your head, probably drive a good car, and I'm assuming you have a good education, and are in good health. All while some kid in Somalia probably has their face in the dirt slowly dying of starvation.

Believe me, I have. Just last week I saw a documentary on this situation in Somalia. A room in a hospital full of starving kids dying. One had died and the parents just sat there - they didn't have means to bury the body.

Alrighty then. Screw 'em. We don't need no stinking temp agencies.

I intend to utilize them. Sorry I said that. I certainly didn't mean it.

Alrighty then. Screw 'em. We don't need no stinking temp agencies.

I intend to utilize them. Sorry I said that. I certainly didn't mean it.

No problem. Whatever you want...whatever makes you happy and helps you achieve your goals.... I'm behind you.

It's okay to rant and vent Deva. This is the perfect place for it, and it sounds like you're already getting to the point where you can start to at least fake a positive attitude and sometimes that's all that counts.

I have already had a call to come in for an interview, but really, I'm in a lousy state to do it and haven't called them back yet.

Chin up, Deva! You are competent. You are worthy of this job. Prepare yourself to call them on Monday. You don't have to be in a perfect frame of mind to set up the appointment. Do what you can over the next two days to center yourself as much as possible. If it helps, write out things you might like to say over the phone. Set up an interview time.

Put your mind on the actual interview once the appointment is made. Just focus on each step. You can do this.

You are such a great, fantastic person. I admire you so much, Deva. I have since I first came here. You must feel so shitty right now! And you can do this.

Hey, I just found a job listing for a "Christian law firm" Hah! How do you guys think that would work out? Maybe I should apply just for kicks.

Good idea! You can always choose not to accept a job they offer you.

Phanta

I just talked to a Christian who is losing her job. It's the economy. Sorry you're going through this.

My son has been unemployed for almost 2 years! He finally got a job with FEMA starting Monday! He will have to drive about 200 miles there and back everyday until he can afford to move. Only thing is he doesn't know how permanent this job will be so...I guess I'm just trying to say you're not alone. I can't tell you how being unemployed this long has changed him.I hope this works out so he can be happy again. Hang in there and try not to get too down on yourself.

Xander, I am glad your son got a job. I am sure the situation is even worse for young people. There is no such thing as job security. I knew that a long time ago. I never looked at my present position as anything permanent. I thought I might have two years. I couldn't exactly see this coming so soon, but the signs were there.

At least I get to compose a letter of recommendation for my boss to sign. He may change it, but I am going to say my work was "excellent", that I was efficient, organized, honest and loyal. What other qualities can I list? Still in the draft stage - but I am going to have to give it to him on Monday so I have something really good to go to the interview with.

You are such a great, fantastic person. I admire you so much, Deva. I have since I first came here. You must feel so shitty right now! And you can do this.

Thank you Phanta. That means so much. Its great to have friends here on this site.

I have gotten past the crying and anger stage and now I am into the planning stage so I am moving along with this. I have a large list of contacts from last year - recruiting agencies - and have gotten the word out to most of them. Hopefully I hear some good news next week.

Thank you Phanta. That means so much. Its great to have friends here on this site.

I have gotten past the crying and anger stage and now I am into the planning stage so I am moving along with this. I have a large list of contacts from last year - recruiting agencies - and have gotten the word out to most of them. Hopefully I hear some good news next week.

You sound determined. That's so good to hear!

Let me know if I can help in any way. (I'm a good proofreader/editor.)

Phanta

Hey, I just found a job listing for a "Christian law firm" Hah! How do you guys think that would work out? Maybe I should apply just for kicks.

Oh sure you could do that. But are you even looking under the "Satanic law firm" section? Or is that just all law firms normally consider themselves? ;)

mwc

At least I get to compose a letter of recommendation for my boss to sign. He may change it, but I am going to say my work was "excellent", that I was efficient, organized, honest and loyal. What other qualities can I list? Still in the draft stage - but I am going to have to give it to him on Monday so I have something really good to go to the interview with.

I recommend that you add something to the effect that you have an excellent understanding of the law, court rules, and procedures and that clients respect you and have confidence in your abilities. Lawyers like those attributes in paralegals.

It's okay to rant and vent Deva. This is the perfect place for it, and it sounds like you're already getting to the point where you can start to at least fake a positive attitude and sometimes that's all that counts.

Its true that I have had to fake it a lot. I am an expert in hiding my feelings and faking it. When they tell me my hours are cut I just said "I understand". I will not let them see me upset. I started cleaning out one of my desk drawers and the office manager said "you don't have to do that". Well, I like to start since I don't plan on staying longer than I have to.

The worst experience of this kind I ever had was on one job about 10 years ago where they called me at home and told me not to come in. I said I had personal things in my desk and they asked me what they were and then Federal Expressed them to me! I have seen some freaky stuff in my time. If you could know me for only a short time you could see I am about the most harmless person you can imagine.

I know I am going to have an interview next week and I will have to fake the optimism once again.

I had an interview for another job last month (they called me) and blew it because I didn't fake it enough. I didn't really need the job, at least I thought so at the that time.

I recommend that you add something to the effect that you have an excellent understanding of the law, court rules, and procedures and that clients respect you and have confidence in your abilities. Lawyers like those attributes in paralegals.

My last job was more of a secretarial role. You still have to know something about procedures but I would not categorize it as actual paralegal work. I have probably only had one job where I could say I really did paralegal work and that was in a different area of the law. I don't think I can write something like that, but normally it would be a good idea.

I started cleaning out one of my desk drawers and the office manager said "you don't have to do that". Well, I like to start since I don't plan on staying longer than I have to.

They seem to like you there. Any chance they are looking for more work/ways to fund you and keep you around, or is the writing on the wall?

I started cleaning out one of my desk drawers and the office manager said "you don't have to do that". Well, I like to start since I don't plan on staying longer than I have to.

They seem to like you there. Any chance they are looking for more work/ways to fund you and keep you around, or is the writing on the wall?

I was told that I would not be getting more hours unless business picks up. I think they do like me, otherwise they would simply have told me to leave. I was told I could work part time until I get another job. I don't know how long they are prepared to do it, though.

I was told that I would not be getting more hours unless business picks up. I think they do like me, otherwise they would simply have told me to leave. I was told I could work part time until I get another job. I don't know how long they are prepared to do it, though.

Hm. Not something to bank on, for sure. But, it sounds like you have a good reference and, if things pick up and you stay on excellent terms, a job. I bet they would ask you first if they needed more help in the future.

P

Thank you, Mongo, I am going to study the link you provided carefully.

I know that i am not in a positive frame of mind right now, and yet I really need a job quickly. Its hard to fake it. Probably I will slip up if I can't prepare beforehand. I know I have to convince the interviewer that I can do the job, and that I really want the job - all in a very positive frame of mind. No one wants a negative person around.

This is not easy right now.

Good points and I understand.

My boss is fond of saying, "Whatever interests my boss, fascinates the hell out of me". I can hardly think of better way of expressing the ideal work place attitude.

I think if someone came to an interview and quoted that saying and explained how understanding the meaning of that saying makes them a good employee, I'd be impressed.

Good luck!!!

Mongo

Phanta,

The problem with this job I have/had is that you have a husband (boss) and wife working there, and they don't agree.

[My boss is fond of saying, "Whatever interests my boss, fascinates the hell out of me". I can hardly think of better way of expressing the ideal work place attitude.

I think if someone came to an interview and quoted that saying and explained how understanding the meaning of that saying makes them a good employee, I'd be impressed.

Good luck!!!

Mongo

I understand that Mongo, but what fascinates the boss and do I even get to speak to the real boss?

I can sure relate to the unemployment blues. I was unemployed in 1987 for six months, and I almost had to move back with the parents. Mortifying for a man of 28. I found a job before the last few dollars trickled out of my account. When I quit my job of 11 years to serve my internship teaching, I felt pretty insecure as well. I went almost a year without a paycheck that time, but my wife had a good job.

Unemployment is bad for personal finances and damn hard on the self esteem. You certainly have my sympathy, and I hope something opens up for you soon.

Unemployment is bad for personal finances and damn hard on the self esteem. You certainly have my sympathy, and I hope something opens up for you soon.

I appreciate that, Ro-bear. I have two interviews scheduled but its really hard to psyche myself up to go to them.

I appreciate that, Ro-bear. I have two interviews scheduled but its really hard to psyche myself up to go to them.

Interviews are a drag, especially for the shy or nervous person (I used to be both before I quit giving a shit :HaHa: ).

It's like you have to assume a persona, Mr./Ms. Perfect, just to have a shot. And you know going in it's not a sure thing, for all the investment of effort and hope. You just have to keep doing it, like a fisherman casting, hoping for a strike. Only it's like being a hungry fisherman who hasn't caught shit in quite a while. Hard to remind yourself that each one might be The One.

I just want to say it is absolutely insulting what the employers around here are willing to pay for a paralegal. An insult.

Especially when they all say they are "very busy". With all these rich people's estates around here I know what they are getting - its in the statutes. They are making a mint.

I would rather work at McDonalds. At least I have no experience at it which could justify the low wage.

I just want to say it is absolutely insulting what the employers around here are willing to pay for a paralegal. An insult.

Especially when they all say they are "very busy". With all these rich people's estates around here I know what they are getting - its in the statutes. They are making a mint.

I would rather work at McDonalds. At least I have no experience at it which could justify the low wage.

Sounds like you might have had a discouraging discussion with a prospective employer today?

I don't make very much... Sometimes I feel discouraged about that, but so long as I can pay my bills... Getting tight lately. But heck, I make a ton more than my 4 unemployed best friends. I keep trying to come up with excuses to buy them food...mostly as "thank you" gifts for nice things they do for me...that seems to be the best method so far. Then it's really an exchange, which is better for everyone all around. Also, providing free child care if an odd job comes up so they can make a few bucks.

What a mess so many are in...

Thinking of you, Miss D.

Phanta