Goodbye Jesus

Phrases And Words Used Incorrectly.

ireckinso

Okay, I have admitted to my shortcomings, now I want to bring up something that bugs me. In the past twenty years or so I have noticed Americans dropping the “LY” off the end of adverbs. It bugs me. Stop it!

One does not tell someone to “Drive Safe.” You ask them to “Drive SafeLY.”

He did not “Get here quick.” “He got here quickLY”

Got it? Thank you..

• Like 2

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I read somewhere that the Brits pronounce the "t", but I can't confirm that.

If they did, a 15 minute gag in "Pirates of Penzance" would have to be cut.

Of course we pronounce often with a 't' that's how you say it! I've never heard it be said otherwise. Funny old thing accents and dialects.

My hook was into the whole thing of media, culture, and bad grammar at the moment. The young culture now is to use bad grammar and misuse of words.

When I try and follow best friend's son, who I consider my nephew, on Facebook, I don't understand what the heck he and his friends are saying most of the time. They are all starting their Sr. year in high school this year but write like complete illiterates, apparently because it's cool. When he writes me, I have to ask him to translate.

For instance, kids can call parents "paradoxes" or "parentheses." My kids made up the verb "to waffle" to mean when someone is "trolling" in real life.

I haven't seen this yet. Guess I'm in for a whole world of confusion now.

Now, I'd like to master derivative and integrals of hyperbolic trig functions and their inverses.

Have fun with that. :P

The two that get me are "for all intensive purposes" and "Shur-burt" It's fucking sherbet you fucking nitwit!

It also grates on me when the English emphasize the "t" in the word fillet. The Russians do the same with ballet and buffet. The words are French, why not use them the way the French do?

I also think we should use the local names for cities and countries. For instance, why do we call the city of Torino (where they held the 2006 Olympics) "Turin"? Or why do we call Moskva "Moscow"? Are Torino and Moskva really that hard to pronounce?

No doubt I'm being a pedant.

Okay, I have admitted to my shortcomings, now I want to bring up something that bugs me. In the past twenty years or so I have noticed Americans dropping the “LY” off the end of adverbs. It bugs me. Stop it!

One does not tell someone to “Drive Safe.” You ask them to “Drive SafeLY.”

He did not “Get here quick.” “He got here quickLY”

Got it? Thank you..

Only 20 years? I've been hearing those my entire life. I'm sure I've done it too. I just figured it was spoken shorthand.

How did "few and far between" become "far and few between?"

It's like dragging fingernails across a chalkboard when I hear someone say, "sitchiation". As in, "You've got no control of the sitchiation......."

Only Ted Nugent can say that.

It also grates on me when the English emphasize the "t" in the word fillet. The Russians do the same with ballet and buffet. The words are French, why not use them the way the French do?

I also think we should use the local names for cities and countries. For instance, why do we call the city of Torino (where they held the 2006 Olympics) "Turin"? Or why do we call Moskva "Moscow"? Are Torino and Moskva really that hard to pronounce?

You know, I've heard people pronounce the words both ways and until now I thought they were talking about 2 different things :P

Regarding the names of places, I think it has to do with the easiness of saying a word. Moskva is not an "easy" word to say in English as it is in Slavic countries. I realized after many years that words that seem easy to pronounce to me are very hard for most Westerners. I learned this especially when I was studying Japanese and it took like an hour of the class' time with people trying to pronounce Hiroshima and a couple other Japanese words with "short" vowels (for a lack of a better term than I can think of now) instead of long vowels.

Forgot to mention the crazy names down here in south: Catfish, Sookie (rhymes with cookie), Munch, Sugie, (pronounced shu-gee), Curley, Bubba-Chuck, Bogie, Uncle Daddy (chew on that one a while), Peck, a lawyer I worked for named Scooter, to name a few. Not sure what their real names are, except Scooter. And then there's the little old lady that lives down the street known as Aunt Panky (pronounced: Ain't Panky - Panky rhymes with hanky). Is it any wonder they have such a bizarre language?

Hi Roxie! "Awiles" back I moved to Chattanooga and was about to ring a doorbell to inquire about renting a duplex, when a neighbor stopped me. She said to ask for "Skeeter". A middle-aged guy answered the door, and when I asked for Skeeter he was perplexed. She was laughing her ass off, he realized he was set up, and had to explain the story. When he was young and got a job at TVA, all the guys thought he was as skinny as a "skeeter". The name stuck, dang it!

Oh! I forgot about Skeeter. Yep, knew 2 people called that. Hilarious!

I pronounce it something like off-ten. Are you saying it should be off-in? With a silent "t?" I suppose I might do that if I'm being lazy but usually I try to get that "t" in there (and always have). Maybe this is a regional thing? Or are you effen with me? ;)

mwc

In the northeast US in the 60s, your grammar school teacher would ALWAYS stop and remind you that the "t" is silent.

In the 1970s too. I was pretty shocked when I moved to the midwest, where almost everyone pronounces the "t".

I pronounce it something like off-ten. Are you saying it should be off-in? With a silent "t?" I suppose I might do that if I'm being lazy but usually I try to get that "t" in there (and always have). Maybe this is a regional thing? Or are you effen with me? ;)

mwc

In the northeast US in the 60s, your grammar school teacher would ALWAYS stop and remind you that the "t" is silent.

In the 1970s too. I was pretty shocked when I moved to the midwest, where almost everyone pronounces the "t".

Around here (southeastern USA) if one didn't pronounce the "t" in the word "often" people would probably laugh and call you a yankee.

• Super Moderator

Pronounciation and spelling is irrevelant.

Now you're just trying to make me crazy :twitch:

I agrees wit flowerduh!

• Super Moderator

Sorry but that has no affect on me. I think its the close proximity of so many misteaks in one place.

Sorry but that has no affect on me. I think its the close proximity of so many misteaks in one place.

AAAAAAAAH! where's my red pen?

• Super Moderator

I know! I get flustrated too.

I know! I get flustrated too.

You're killin' me...

Noob?! Please go beat him for me!

In my English class online one young girl was saying "Yeah I'm always correcting people - I'm kind of the 'grammer' police." It was all I could do not to respond "Good thing you're not the spelling police."

I'll take care of it! He prolly won't survive!!!

I'll take care of it! He prolly won't survive!!!

Well...you can probably spare his life. He's a pain in the ass, but he's a keeper.

mwc

Around here (southeastern USA) if one didn't pronounce the "t" in the word "often" people would probably laugh and call you a yankee.

I've lived in Appalachia since 1975 and never heard any educated person pronouce the silent T until around 2002. I'm pretty sure you won't find any recordings of Walter Cronkite, Edward R. Murrow, or even Will Rogers voicing the T in often.

I'm sure we don't pronounce the 't' in the UK- but I guess there are regional variations here to. It's 'offen' as far as I'm concerned

Okay, concerning pronouncing the "t" in the word "often." I think the most authoritative source I found for the preferred pronunciation of the word, along with the history of its pronunciation is found in the below link. The weight of the "authority" appears to prefer a silent "t" in the word.

http://www.pbs.org/speak/speech/beastly/#Often

But I don't think there is necessarily a link between one's education and whether or not one pronounces the "t" or not since at least some dictionaries accept the pronunciation with the "t" sound, though it is not favored.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/often

I think I was completely wrong when I suggested that pronouncing the "t" was a regional thing. It appears not to be regional at all, but there are variations all over the U.S., the UK, and Canada as seen from this forum discussion of how various people, who disclose their locations, pronounce the word:

http://ask.metafilter.com/120986/Do-you-pronounce-the-T-in-often

The two that get me are "for all intensive purposes" and "Shur-burt" It's fucking sherbet you fucking nitwit!

Funny you should mention cities, I live in Wytheville. Pronounced "With-ville." Of course you can tell the old timers from the out-of-towners. Old timers say "wuffle" and out-of-towners say "Ytheville." We have a town nearby spelled Fries, yet its pronounced Freeze.

But then I do also live near Hogback road which is Rte. 666, if that tells you anything about the area.:twitch:

post-8839-0-37735800-1316195164_thumb.jpg

Okay, concerning pronouncing the "t" in the word "often." I think the most authoritative source I found for the preferred pronunciation of the word, along with the history of its pronunciation is found in the below link. The weight of the "authority" appears to prefer a silent "t" in the word.

And then you come to the debate about whether language should really be prescriptive, or whether we should allow language to evolve as it naturally does. I'm sure the reality is somewhere in between both extremes.