Goodbye Jesus

Numinous Experiences

Zephie

Oops, my bad. Guess I was feeling a little rebellious today. tongue.png

Sweet! I'll read that article :D

Oops, my bad. Guess I was feeling a little rebellious today. tongue.png

Lol! Let us not draw the ire of our interweb overlords.

It's like trying to clutch the wind, or seize the light.

Smartass quote of the day: Since light is a particle wave and wind is simply the air resolving pressure differences between two points, they both technically can be caught. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

:ducks and runs:

Both can be experienced but neither can be trapped.

How zenish.

And, at least within the current understanding of science.

I'm not very zen. I'm more like a character from Clerks.

"Hey, you open?"

• Like 1

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

....clearly I need to watch this movie....

• Like 1

....clearly I need to watch this movie....

indeed. It was made for $27k made $3 mill at the Box and launched Kevin Smith's Career.

• Like 1

It's one of my all time favorites.

Is he the guy that did Dogma? I saw it only cause I have a huge thing for Alan Rickman....and it was awesome!

Yes! Jay and Silent Bob are also in Clerks.

added it to my Netflix queue...I know what I'm watchin tonight

• Like 1

I have had a number of numinous experiences. I do not associate them with God. They did not seem to be connected with Christianity in any way. One happened when I was a child and i do not recall thinking about Jesus when I had it although I was raised Christian.

I did have a powerful experience of feeling "saved", but this quickly passed. I attribute it to the power of suggestion.

Sometimes I just get awestruck by something beautiful in nature. Or an activity takes me out of myself where I am totally absorbed in it. I have had some remarkable dreams, which I believe have significance. I used to "zone out" regularly (not so much anymore) but this was never planned or asked for.

Sometimes I just get awestruck by something beautiful in nature.

Recognition of beauty while in the life is a very powerful experience.

Is he the guy that did Dogma? I saw it only cause I have a huge thing for Alan Rickman....and it was awesome!

I had a friend that was obsessed with Alan Rickman once. She also had a thing for Jeremy Irons.

Sometimes I just get awestruck by something beautiful in nature. Or an activity takes me out of myself where I am totally absorbed in it.

Hence why meditation works to reproduce this. It takes you out of yourself, beyond the confines of what we put up in front of our eyes every day.

I have had some remarkable dreams, which I believe have significance. I used to "zone out" regularly (not so much anymore) but this was never planned or asked for.

The problem with mystical experiences in the West is that they are seen as some arbitrary thing that just randomly may occur, and they leave it at that, in awe of them, but believing it's random. That is actually not the case. It can be moved into at will through development.

The practice of mediation puts you in the path of it quite directly, rather than just going about the day and some fleeting, momentary light shines through the clouds. You not only experience it more regularly and consistently, but you eventually learn to open those clouds yourself through deep insights into your own psyche. Then you are able to be in that light through an act of will, rather than accident. This is not to be confused with 'whipping yourself up', and creating this in your mind, which it's not that at all. It's basically learning how to open your own eyes to what simply is.

I had a friend that was obsessed with Alan Rickman once. She also had a thing for Jeremy Irons.

My wife loves both these guys. Rickman because he's actually really funny. I mean come on he played the perfect camp villian in Die Hard.

Irons I think its the voice. And she LOVES him on The Borgias.

Are we talking about this topic anymore?

sorry.....just a tangent.

I have a friend with a thing for Jeremy Irons and possibly Alan Rickman although I've not spoken with her in a while...

Are we talking about this topic anymore?

Gah! Sorry...tangent. I wonder if these experiences are viewed differently by different cultures. It seems to me in places that have more mystical religions like Buddhism and Hinduism etc...that these experiences wouldn't be written off so much (If i got that wrong sorry abotu that). For example, my family lived in a house that had some very negative energy that manifested itself in creepy ways...it more than likely had to do with tension in the family at that time but it was not uncommon for us to see "shadow people" and the like...now my parents write that off even though they both saw it and acknowledged it at the time because it would be giving credence to areas that are more gray than black and white god/devil things.

Did you watch Clerks last night?

Did you watch Clerks last night?

Only part of it as I got tied up cleaning and cooking...I'm gonna restart it tonight...was so reminded of life whilst working at a bookstore lol

We can start a Clerks discussion thread once you've seen it, if you want =D